HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
No one cares you fucking clown.

How is Calgary's NBA team doing?
If they don’t win it now they won’t be back again for a long time, you fucking clown.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Huh? Demar's not even on the team anymore. How do you think we landed Kawhi Leonard?
A joke that clearly went over your head.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
A joke that clearly went over your head.
Hysterical "joke"

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Hysterical "joke"

I enjoy my sports but try not to get emotional about them. I watched the end of the game because I was interested and hoped that they won and went to the finals.

Demar comment was in relation to the fact that they couldn’t get over the hump with him.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 3:26 PM
ハルウララ

If we can keep this thread on the topic of basketball that'd be great. We have other threads on this forum if people want to discuss Toronto v. Everybody or basketball's greater role in the Canadian sports landscape as it compares to other sports.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 4:12 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

All the speculation over whether Kawhi will leave or stay seems to rest on the presumption that he wants to be back in his hometown of LA.

In reality, we don't actually know what his motivations are. What we do know however is that as a Raptor he's had his best-ever season, he's made it to the finals, he seems to have a good relationship with the coaching staff & management, and he seems to play well with his teammates. Unless the Clippers can offer him a much more generous contract, I'd say there looks to be more reasons for him to stay in Toronto than there are to leave.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 5:07 PM

If winning was his primary motivation, there was no need to leave the Spurs, where he won finals mvp beating Lebron in the prime of the Heats' big 3 era.

The unknown factors were:

-How much blame he actually placed on the Spurs medical staff for their apparent misdiagnose and mismanagement of his injury.

- Whether the relationship with his teammates during the injury really did sour as much as some talking heads said it did (I don't believe Tony Parker and Ginobli would be as unsympathetic as reported but who knows)

- The family factor. Ie. the mysterious uncle Dennis and his pressure to move Kawhi to the biggest market to grow his brand, as well as Kawhi's preference for being closer to home.

For the first two points, the organization could not have handled it any better. He was given the most conservative workload possible to ease his transition back. He seems to have come out of his shell more than anyone thought he would and gets along fantastically with his teammates. The Raps can offer him the most money given that they maintain his bird rights in the trade from San Antonio.

The last factor is the wildcard. If it really is his top priority, than there's not much that Toronto as a city or anyone in the organization can do, and that's fine. Kawhi as a player has given everything to the team during this playoff run. As far as I'm concerned he doesn't owe us anything and if he will be happiest moving back to the West Coast, then I say thanks for the amazing run and go pursue your dream.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 7:31 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
All the speculation over whether Kawhi will leave or stay seems to rest on the presumption that he wants to be back in his hometown of LA.

In reality, we don't actually know what his motivations are. What we do know however is that as a Raptor he's had his best-ever season, he's made it to the finals, he seems to have a good relationship with the coaching staff & management, and he seems to play well with his teammates. Unless the Clippers can offer him a much more generous contract, I'd say there looks to be more reasons for him to stay in Toronto than there are to leave.

I've never understood the argument of the LA Clippers or NY Knicks organization being superior to the Toronto Raptors organization. The Raptors organization is as good as them come from top to bottom. Toronto's one of the world's great cities, Kawhi gets to play on a contending team, and in one of the world's basketball meccas (and it is by any measure today).

Most athletes want to play in their home town but very few insist upon it. Other factors are rightfully more important. The constant chatter about Kawhi leaving is constantly massaged by US media/Americans that want to reel him back to the US. That's what it's really about.

Watching a TNT play by play it becomes instantly apparent that they have an 'us versus them' mentality when it comes to the Raptors. In Round 1, it was 'can Orlando get passed the Raptors'. In Round 2, it was 'the Sixers are better and how do they beat the Raptors'. In Round 3, it was 'the Bucks are better, how many games will it take to send the Raptors packing, and how do the Bucks stack up against the Warriors. Canadian play by play is the same but in the reverse but it's quite clear that the Raptors are viewed as a periphery entity by US media. Their discussion revolves around which US city should their star (Kawhi) should go to after his temporary 1 year stint. I don't think it ever occurred to them till recently that he might want to stay in Toronto.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I've never understood the argument of the LA Clippers or NY Knicks organization being superior to the Toronto Raptors organization. The Raptors organization is as good as them come from top to bottom. Toronto's one of the world's great cities, Kawhi gets to play on a contending team, and in one of the world's basketball meccas (and it is by any measure today).

Most athletes want to play in their home town but very few insist upon it. Other factors are rightfully more important. The constant chatter about Kawhi leaving is constantly massaged by US media/Americans that want to reel him back to the US. That's what it's really about.
This is revisionist history.

The LA talks were going on before anyone even thought about Kawhi being traded to Toronto. It's about market size/perceived marketability. There are often contract stipulations in endorsement deals that can add millions of dollars to a players earnings if they play in a top 3-4 market (NY, LA, Chicago, maybe Miami). If Nike thinks (rightfully so) that Lebron will sell more shoes as a Laker than as a Cavalier, they're willing to pay for it.

Specific to Kawhi's situation is that his uncle is supposedly trying to ramp up his agency, where his nephew is currently his only client. He obviously knows he has a better shot of attracting more clients if Kawhi is in the highest visibility market in the league.

It's not about Canada or the U.S. No one thinks he's going to leave to Phoenix or Minnesota. It's literally LA vs. everywhere else.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 8:00 PM
The New Republic

It was pandemonium last night. Even in the suburbs far from the arena. You'd think we'd just won the whole thing rather than a Semi Final.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 8:02 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
This is revisionist history.

It's about market size/perceived marketability. There are often contract stipulations in endorsement deals that can add millions of dollars to a players earnings if they play in a top 3-4 market (NY, LA, Chicago, maybe Miami). If Nike thinks (rightfully so) that Lebron will sell more shoes as a Laker than as a Cavalier, they're willing to pay for it.

Specific to Kawhi's situation is that his uncle is supposedly trying to ramp up his agency, where his nephew is currently his only client. He obviously knows he has a better shot of attracting more clients if Kawhi is in the highest visibility market in the league.
The vast majority of people aren't talking about getting Kawhi out of Toronto for business purposes. They couldn't care less about that side of it. Kawhi doesn't seem to either.

Last edited by isaidso; May 26, 2019 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 8:14 PM

Definitely not saying the same thing, but don't let me get in the way of your self-victimization.

That is literally the first thing people have been saying for over a year since he sat out injured on the Spurs. Bigger market (being influenced by his uncle), family, and maybe weather.

You admit to following basketball analysis through Matt and Jack on TSN and now you're the expert on U.S. perceptions of this whole saga for the past two years.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 8:27 PM

Canada Basketball named Nick Nurse the head coach of Team Canada for this summer in China.

I don't know if this is controversial since he't not Canadian but I couldn't really care less. He's shown his chops and is guaranteed to be better than the disaster that is Jay Triano. Time to get our young guys the best help they can get and start advancing on the international stage.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Canada Basketball named Nick Nurse the head coach of Team Canada for this summer in China.

I don't know if this is controversial since he't not Canadian but I couldn't really care less. He's shown his chops and is guaranteed to be better than the disaster that is Jay Triano. Time to get our young guys the best help they can get and start advancing on the international stage.
Canada Basketball havent officially named him have they? Its only been reported by sources.

Not a big deal about not being canadian, neither of canadas soccer coaches are. Plus nurse has worked in Canada for the last 6 years.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 8:52 PM

I thought Rowan Barret confirmed it, might still be speculation though.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 9:16 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Definitely not saying the same thing, but don't let me get in the way of your self-victimization.

That is literally the first thing people have been saying for over a year since he sat out injured on the Spurs. Bigger market (being influenced by his uncle), family, and maybe weather.

You admit to following basketball analysis through Matt and Jack on TSN and now you're the expert on U.S. perceptions of this whole saga for the past two years.
Nowhere have I said I'm an expert on US perceptions and categorizing this as self victimization? Stop attempting to turn this into something it's not. And yes, it's the same thing whether you see it or not. US media played, what is it, 28+ Lakers games? That's many more than the Bucks and Raptors combined. Toronto is off the radar for the viewing public. It's hardly a secret that they don't want Kawhi playing in what they consider a periphery market. This discussion was never about the revenue generating potential of Kawhi for corporate America yet you see intent on turning it into that.

But don't let me get in the way of your ego.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 9:54 PM

Holy shit I'm talking about what Kawhi wants as that's the only thing that ultimately matters.

Based on what we know went on behind the scenes, marketability is a factor that is being considered by Kawhi's camp. That means that preference would be given to the 'revenue-generating potential of corporate America' as that directly feeds into how much money he makes. New Balance is probably salivating at the idea of having their poster boy in LA. Whether Kawhi cares enough about a bigger deal from them remains to be seen.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 11:13 PM
be nice to the crackheads

The hype and excitement in Toronto is palpable. I sure hope the citizens of the city deal with a potential loss in the finals better than we did in Vancouver. I just feel that with this much energy, it can go south if they suffer a devastating loss (especially if it's in game 7).

Do us proud, Toronto, and deal with the win or loss with maturity.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I just feel that with this much energy, it can go south if they suffer a devastating loss (especially if it's in game 7).

Do us proud, Toronto, and deal with the win or loss with maturity.
Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

I've never experienced anything in the city quite like last night. It was pure jubilation. Everyone was hugging and high-fiving random strangers. People were waiting for the traffic lights to go red and then running into the intersection jumping around before clearing out after the light turned green. I saw a couple videos of some disrespectful behavior, people tormenting a cop and jumping on his cruiser, but apparently not a single arrest was made last night.

Everything I saw personally was in good spirits, but it makes me wonder what would happen if that same energy was sent out onto the streets after a heartbreaking loss. There's a strong chance we get swept or dealt with in five games, in which case I think people would already be mentally prepared to walk away. If it went to six and they got knocked out on some questionable calls though....

I would hope people would handle it properly, but mob mentality is a hell of a drug.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 1:09 AM

Quote:
I've never experienced anything in the city quite like last night. It was pure jubilation. Everyone was hugging and high-fiving random strangers.
I'm guessing you didn't experience the Jays first World Series win. It was similar to the Raptors win this weekend.

I was in Toronto when they won in '92 and it was pretty wild. Any bar or restaurant with a TV had the game on and they were full. I along with thousands of other people were watching the game through the bar/restaurant windows late in the game and the whole downtown just erupted when Timlin tossed the ball to first base to win game. Yonge street was packed and people were walking up Yonge street from Front St. to Bloor and back. Like this weekend, strangers high-fiving and hugging, etc. Couldn't believe how many people were out celebrating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada