HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 10:00 PM

If of any interest the Four Points By Sheraton on Pembina recently began renovations. Rejigging their under-used restaurant space to increase the size of the lounge. Should be a really good space when it’s done. I know the owners and they’re good people. Original owners when it was an empty lot. Will be revamping all areas of the hotel in time as well.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 3:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
Any guesses on where this is located:

https://www.amphora.ca/the-grid
My guess for this Amphora project is 317 Furby, in the parking lot directly south of the Lions Place on Portage - it is a tall slab, surface parking then 4 storey.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 5:42 PM

^ pretty nice building for a less than desirable place to live. unless they are micro-suites for students at UofW?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 6:13 PM

That’s def it!!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
^ pretty nice building for a less than desirable place to live. unless they are micro-suites for students at UofW?
Gentrification starts somehow!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2023, 7:41 PM

Have any of the projects from Amphora actually got built or all these just hypothetical?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Ever since the PonziCit...SkyCity development imploded, I wonder if there has been any interest in putting something up on that massive lot? What a damned shame having such prime land languish after those crooks got caught. They didn't even have the decency to get caught after the building was done (/s)
There has been an architectural firm working on an 11 floor parkade with eventually a 30 + floor residential component atop for 2 years. It would be approximately the height, size of 300 Main. The current new normal Interest rate is impeding many developments Downtown, which is already a kind of tough sell to begin with.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
There has been an architectural firm working on an 11 floor parkade It would be approximately the height, size of 300 Main. The current new normal Interest rate is impeding many developments Downtown, which is already a kind of tough sell to begin with.
Something tells me we'd get the parkade and that's about it lmao. Seriously though, as much as I think we don't need more parkades downtown, I'd take anything over a surface lot. Is there any renders or plans detailing that?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 2:05 AM

Haha yes you needn’t waste time looking at it, it’s a hideous monstrosity

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Haha yes you needn’t waste time looking at it, it’s a hideous monstrosity
It's that bad eh?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 2:30 PM
What could go wrong?

The apartment portion has been cancelled. The parkade should start in the spring.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 2:41 PM

Oh lord how is this even allowed to be built or make any sort of business sense? Just to appease a few suburban commuters and police officers like give me a fucking break. At the very least if they are so adamant about a parkade there should be some sort of street front presence like the one on King and Bannatyne but that’s probably not going to happen.

Weren’t they trying to pedestrianize Graham in a few years. How tf does having a parking lot take one of the 2 largest blocks available for development conductive to the future plans of the street? The tiniest sliver of a silver lining is that this ridiculous development might make the other surface parking lots in the city easier to develop but again doubt that will be what transpires.

Absolute joke and disgrace to be building 11 storey parkades in 2024. No wonder DT is in the shitter when what was originally going to be a 56 storey building (obv was never going to happen) turns to a 44 storey building with an 11 floor parkade and now doesn’t even have the residential component.

Even though I do plan to settle back down in Winnipeg, It’s stupid shit like this that makes me glad I moved and reconsider ever going back.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Weren’t they trying to pedestrianize Graham in a few years. How tf does having a parking lot take one of the 2 largest blocks available for development conductive to the future plans of the street? The tiniest sliver of a silver lining is that this ridiculous development might make the other surface parking lots in the city easier to develop but again doubt that will be what transpires.
It's not going on the big lot next to Graham. That will stay a surface parking lot for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2023, 10:33 PM

It’s confusing, I mean parkades are extremely expensive to build and I am not sure where they envision the demand coming from other than the police staff. Do they figure that’s enough to make this cost effective with today’s insane construction costs? How is Centreventure not opposed to something so seemingly opposite of their development mission?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 12:35 PM

$12mil for this parkade if u want to own one

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...th-st-winnipeg

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 12:41 PM

That parkade is majorly gross. Our company did the lighting upgrade there a few winters ago. The stairwells are gag inducing.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Oh lord how is this even allowed to be built or make any sort of business sense? Just to appease a few suburban commuters and police officers like give me a fucking break. At the very least if they are so adamant about a parkade there should be some sort of street front presence like the one on King and Bannatyne but that’s probably not going to happen.

Absolute joke and disgrace to be building 11 storey parkades in 2024. No wonder DT is in the shitter when what was originally going to be a 56 storey building (obv was never going to happen) turns to a 44 storey building with an 11 floor parkade and now doesn’t even have the residential component.

Even though I do plan to settle back down in Winnipeg, It’s stupid shit like this that makes me glad I moved and reconsider ever going back.
Honestly how this developer was even chosen by centre venture and the city is beyond me… and the lengths they’ve gone to save face on this joke of a “development” is hilarious. social climbers helping social climbers.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 1:58 PM

"Property Type - Vacant Land" is either some unintentional comedy or the intern who made the post is subtly spreading the urbanist agenda

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 2:33 PM

I'm not sure what's happening on the lot(s) bounded by McDermot, Harriet, and Bannatyne, but it has resumed in the past week. It was quite active in the spring, but went totally silent over the summer. The building to its south on McDermot was partially demolished a week or two ago and materials are being delivered to the site.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2023, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
I'm not sure what's happening on the lot(s) bounded by McDermot, Harriet, and Bannatyne, but it has resumed in the past week. It was quite active in the spring, but went totally silent over the summer. The building to its south on McDermot was partially demolished a week or two ago and materials are being delivered to the site.
That's the Ka Ni Kanichihk expansion. More details here:

https://www.kanikanichihk.ca/expansion/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan