HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
A few updates from Mid-City

The former Home Depot site. CVS is undergoing exterior bricking and interior work and two pile-drivers were put up yesterday for the large building in the back and the three smaller buildings along the greenway. I still haven't heard who the new tenants will be.
20151203_155855

Medical facility on Bienville
2015-12-04 11.06.58

Stirling's office/retail project next to Mid-City Market
20151105_131921

I've also seen crews and crane working on top of the Mid-City Center building (which contains Little Tokyo). I seem to remember that they were planning to put a few apartments there.
They were supposed to add a floor or two pf apartments to the project. thanks for the update!

Heres some more pics of The Jung Garage from today (12.4.15), they are really cruising with this thing now:

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:23 AM

Airport Updates

Sounds as though the airport will definitely be delayed from May 2018, but that it's still targeted for completion that year. Negotiations with the construction manager over the guaranteed maximum price are nearing their end. A positive development out of this is learning that the airlines are willing to put in some more money in order to have technology upgrades.

Quote:
At least one big addition has emerged. Ahmad said airlines operating out of MSY are interested in a fueling system that would have a pump station at every gate, rather than using fuel trucks that pull up to the aircraft. The project could cost as much as $40 million, he said.

An airport spokeswoman said that will be paid for directly by the airlines, while the airport intends to issue additional bonds to pay for other additions requested by the companies.

"The more scope we put in, the more time it's going to take," Ahmad said.
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...river_home_pop

Great news from The New Orleans Advocate on the quick expansion of available flights from MSY. It's a good summary of the past couple years there.

Quote:
The recent service expansions highlight two areas where local airport officials and industry experts predict the New Orleans airport has room to grow: targeting budget-conscious leisure travelers as well as underserved regional areas that will attract businesspeople and others eager for an alternative to driving or multiple-stop flights.

Even more recently, the New Orleans airport unveiled its 50th nonstop destination: Another budget carrier, Allegiant Air, will begin flying to Pittsburgh in February, with fares starting at $39.
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...iers-show-that

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 2:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
Sounds as though the airport will definitely be delayed from May 2018, but that it's still targeted for completion that year. Negotiations with the construction manager over the guaranteed maximum price are nearing their end. A positive development out of this is learning that the airlines are willing to put in some more money in order to have technology upgrades.

Great news from The New Orleans Advocate on the quick expansion of available flights from MSY. It's a good summary of the past couple years there.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...iers-show-that
It does sound like good news I agree, plus as you said its great that they are planning to include technology that the airlines asked for even if it wasn't part of the original plan. That said I still think its possible to make May 2018. Its also first time I heard them address directly the number of gates they could easily expand to if need be. Thats important because if we are to keep airline fees low its critical to be as efficient as possible with the facilities we have. Sounds like great planning. One question I do have is the airport hotel. 15 million seems low, so Im thinking the 15million is what the airport will chip in for the development with the developer covering the rest.

Also great article in Biz New Orleans about the airport expansion too. Looks like the city is working very closely with British Airways and Air France on flights to London and Paris respectively.

Pictures of My house from this past Sunday:

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 9, 2015 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 6:44 AM
-

Im seriously about to live in the middle of a construction warzone I think:

Canal Crossings Project at 1551 Canal

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:32 AM

Looks like you picked the right spot! That is one impressive looking apartment block being planned on Canal. The upper end of Canal is going to be a very different place in a couple of years.

Good to hear that the airport and regional business community is not putting all of our eggs in one basket in terms of international flights. A non-stop to Paris and London would be great.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:25 PM

As happy as I am to see that lot about to be developed, I had hoped that retail would be a bigger part of the project. There are so few opportunities to develop a lot of this size anywhere in the city, much less in a prime location surrounded by other residential and hotel developments not to mention the huge hospitals down the street. While something like a City Target or grocery store would be nice, a pharmacy would also make sense at this location.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 5:15 PM
-

Quote:
As happy as I am to see that lot about to be developed, I had hoped that retail would be a bigger part of the project. There are so few opportunities to develop a lot of this size anywhere in the city, much less in a prime location surrounded by other residential and hotel developments not to mention the huge hospitals down the street. While something like a City Target or grocery store would be nice, a pharmacy would also make sense at this location.
if i had one critique it would be the same as what you are saying but the demand for that size retail just isn't there yet. wish it was though. They do have to go through a design review being on Canal and one thing that will probably have to change is more entries to the street from canal.

The Jung Hotel ( Additional renderings)

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 9, 2015 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 11:06 PM
-

The Jung (12.10.15)

201 South Villere

Waffle House Starting:

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 12:14 AM

Progress at the former Frank's Steakhouse site on Freret Street:

View down Cadiz with the new Ochsner Baptist hotel development in the background:

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 1:34 AM
-

Quote:
Progress at the former Frank's Steakhouse site on Freret Street:

View down Cadiz with the new Ochsner Baptist hotel development in the background:
Looks great.. certainly is a big project and great infill for the area. thanks for the photos!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 7:42 PM

Developer envisions 'small city' of 20,000+ for West Jefferson

Envisioning what amounts to a new town of 20,000 to 30,000 people, a Louisiana real estate developer is taking a "serious look" at building a 2,000-acre residential and commercial project on one of largest remaining empty pieces of land in Jefferson Parish. Southern Lifestyle Development is eyeing a huge chunk of the approximately 9,000-acre Fairfield area between and south of Avondale and Westwego, said Prescott Bailey, an area president at the development firm. The project is so big that Parish President John Young said it could make Jefferson the most populous parish in the state, eclipsing East Baton Rouge...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 1:13 AM
TL;DR

Not generally in favor of more sprawl development. It strains the roadways and drainage infrastructure, and in a slow-growth city, it just sucks population and resources away from other developed areas. Where are 30,000 upper middle class people going to come from? The metro area is not exactly booming, except in those corners of the city with historic appeal and culture.

I did once advocate for sprawl in English Turn, but
A) English Turn is in Orleans Parish, so the new revenue would benefit the city
B) English Turn is generally on high ground, being surrounded by the river

It would be nice to have a bonafide town center on the West Bank other than Gretna and Algiers Point, but this location would be so isolated it's hard to see the value.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 1:36 AM

Agreed, this seems poorly conceived. The location is quite far from the CBD, not to mention the flood risk. Jefferson parish has been pretty stagnant population-wise and I don't expect that to change any time soon with the closure of Avondale and the current oil slump. Plus, from Tennis' blog, it looks like there are a few new subdivisions planned in the city, not to mention all of the new apartment and condo buildings coming up.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 2:42 PM
-

Ill take the opposite approach and say I think this sounds like a great idea. The west bank needs a rejuvanation. Also, the person thats moving there isnt the same person whos moving into the actual city. This is trying to capture some of those headed to the river parishes or the northshore. So in that sense its a good thing. They end up closer to the city center. 20,000-30,000 seems like a lot but we are adding that and more each year in the metro area so its needed.

Also I have had the chance to see a couple of cool new projects in the past couple days. One on Robert E Lee in Lakeview and another that spans the whole block bounded by St Charles, Julia, Carondelet, and St Joseph, Cant say much more but I think you guys will really like them.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

Also I have had the chance to see a couple of cool new projects in the past couple days. One on Robert E Lee in Lakeview and another that spans the whole block bounded by St Charles, Julia, Carondelet, and St Joseph, Cant say much more but I think you guys will really like them.
Can't wait to see them. That block of St. Charles is crying out for redevelopment. Hopefully any plan involves incorporating the vast majority of existing structures on the block. (And I didn't realize there was unified ownership of the lots on that block).

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 5:21 PM

18-unit condo proposed for Carondelet Street

http://uptownmessenger.com/2015/12/1...ndelet-street/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 5:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
18-unit condo proposed for Carondelet Street

http://uptownmessenger.com/2015/12/1...ndelet-street/
Did they ever get BZA waiver approvals for this one yet? Never mind... just saw that waivers from BZA were approved. Nice infill for that block.

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 16, 2015 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 7:57 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Ill take the opposite approach and say I think this sounds like a great idea. The west bank needs a rejuvanation. Also, the person thats moving there isnt the same person whos moving into the actual city. This is trying to capture some of those headed to the river parishes or the northshore. So in that sense its a good thing. They end up closer to the city center. 20,000-30,000 seems like a lot but we are adding that and more each year in the metro area so its needed.
Not really. Only added 10,000 from 2013-2014. I completely get that these are not city buyers. But they might be New Orleans East buyers, or Algiers buyers, or Metairie buyers. Now instead of fixing up and improving those areas, or filling in holes, we're just adding a lot more out on the fringe in a flood-prone area. I thought we were done with this kind of irresponsible growth...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 9:59 PM
-

710 Baronne Street project:

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 11:04 PM

That 710 Baronne project looks really solid. Glad to see that retail building preserved. I'm amazed at how many parking lots still exist throughout the Warehouse district, especially on desirable streets like Julia, Magazine, and St. Charles, so it's nice to hear that more projects are planned.

Regarding "Fairfield," I think people are moving to the Northshore and river parishes due to the various offices and industrial projects that have moved there. Apart from those places, the city is generating most of the new jobs and population growth reflects that. I am not aware of very much new economic activity planned on the West Bank.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations