HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 6:17 PM

Don't get your hopes up everyone, KEF is not on PD's radar in the foreseeable future.

I'm hoping PD will opt in for the XLRs once they get closer to the 100th frame delivery and get folks from YOW to those much needed EU destinations.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Flights to Iceland would be amazing from Ottawa. If Porter could significantly undercut AC's seasonal out of MTL, we could see the first ever reverse flow from YUL. I know people who drive from Ottawa to Hamilton to get cheap Play flights to KEF.

I really miss that WOW Air flight from YUL.
The Play flights are about the transfer to Europe not as much just to Iceland. If Porter made a deal with Wizz or Easyjet it could work but neither seems to have any such deals. Personally I'd probably do a self transfer if the flight was cheap enough. Air Canada when they flew the route was dirt cheap.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 6:41 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWflier View Post
Seems like a sweet venue at Zibi. Would’ve also been cool to have a massive party at the new hangar…obviously more complicated to do that though.
More photos of the party:

https://obj.ca/porter-airlines-bring...party-to-town/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 11:40 PM

First Air North inbound of the season from YZF was today, meaning first departure tomorrow. Seems to be weekly initially but not sure if it's going to increase during the peak summer?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
Don't get your hopes up everyone, KEF is not on PD's radar in the foreseeable future.

I'm hoping PD will opt in for the XLRs once they get closer to the 100th frame delivery and get folks from YOW to those much needed EU destinations.
Has PD explicitly said that they have no KEF plans? Range wise it should be no problem, it's only a couple hundred nm further than YVR from YOW. I actually didn't know Icelandair was a PD partner. They may be hesitant to serve it directly though as that could eat up Europe-bound traffic with their JV with TS.

I would be surprised if they went for XLRs given the JV with TS. I think the point of that partnership is to have PD focus primarily on continental North America and then TS for Caribbean and Europe. I believe Deluce even said at one point Europe wasn't even close to being on their radar.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
Has PD explicitly said that they have no KEF plans? Range wise it should be no problem, it's only a couple hundred nm further than YVR from YOW. I actually didn't know Icelandair was a PD partner. They may be hesitant to serve it directly though as that could eat up Europe-bound traffic with their JV with TS.

I would be surprised if they went for XLRs given the JV with TS. I think the point of that partnership is to have PD focus primarily on continental North America and then TS for Caribbean and Europe. I believe Deluce even said at one point Europe wasn't even close to being on their radar.
Porter would need to get ETOPS completed. Something they have not even started yet.
The plane, the crew and the company have to all be ETOPS certified; which when all added up together may not make financial sense for Porter.

There is opportunity in North America. No point going to KEF.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately yes they did. The CEO said they are not considering anything beyond North America right now.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 2:38 AM
Melissa: fabulous.

The E2 is ETOPS 120 certified.

Dreaming is nice but Porter is lightyears away from stuff like TATL flying and XLRs and such. Let them develop and profitably sustain a North American jet network for some years first. That’ll be no small feat in itself.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 3:27 AM

Quote:
First Air North inbound of the season from YZF was today, meaning first departure tomorrow. Seems to be weekly initially but not sure if it's going to increase during the peak summer?
Still only weekly like last year.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 10:45 AM

I see a rumour from Ishrion Aviation X that Mexicana has YOW as a possible destination.
https://x.com/IshrionA/status/179965...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhb View Post
I see a rumour from Ishrion Aviation X that Mexicana has YOW as a possible destination.
https://x.com/IshrionA/status/179965...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Didn’t see that one, especially with the return of the Mexican visa restrictions to get into Canada. Time will tell of course. Them acquiring the E2 would certainly make it the right size of aircraft to make it feasible.

Today’s departure count: 83

Today’s cancellation count (so far): 0

That’s the first time a Sunday has been over 80.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 4:08 PM

According to the yellow box, looks like Mexico City is on PD’s radar in the more distant future of their expansion, or I may be reading too much into that decorative map.

https://www.flyporter.com/en-ca/

Also for Mexicana, looks like the YOW flight if it ever happened would leave from Tijuana (not Mexico City) according to the Youtube video. I don't speak Spanish but it's easy to decipher.

Last edited by fanofYOW; Jun 9, 2024 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWflier View Post
The E2 is ETOPS 120 certified.

Dreaming is nice but Porter is lightyears away from stuff like TATL flying and XLRs and such. Let them develop and profitably sustain a North American jet network for some years first. That’ll be no small feat in itself.
Yes. But Porter nor their crew are.
There are several components to ETOPS. Porter is not going down this road as they have not made any applications to be certified.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 7:23 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Yes I am aware of all that. ETOPS 120 is a pretty recent achievement for Emb/E2 so I figured some people may not yet be aware that the plane itself is certified capable.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 10:50 PM

Quote:
According to the yellow box, looks like Mexico City is on PD’s radar in the more distant future of their expansion, or I may be reading too much into that decorative map.

Also for Mexicana, looks like the YOW flight if it ever happened would leave from Tijuana (not Mexico City) according to the Youtube video. I don't speak Spanish but it's easy to decipher.
If Mexicana started a Tijuana to Ottawa flight their are some interesting possibilities.

One interesting feature of Tijuana international airport is its location on US boarder. One can walk in a secured terminal to CBX skybridge to US customs and be in San Diego county in a couple of minutes. Of course after Clearing Mexican customs also. People from San Diego use this airport for its numerous Mexican destinations and price.

Last edited by Rhb; Jun 9, 2024 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 12:49 AM

Now that Air Transat has a joint venture with Porter, I hope they announce a flight to Gatwick soon.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 1:15 AM

Quote:

From what the Ishirion X post said, PDX is the route being considered for TIJ.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhb View Post
If Mexicana started a Tijuana to Ottawa flight their are some interesting possibilities.

One interesting feature of Tijuana international airport is its location on US boarder. One can walk in a secured terminal to CBX skybridge to US customs and be in San Diego county in a couple of minutes. Of course after Clearing Mexican customs also. People from San Diego use this airport for its numerous Mexican destinations and price.
Sure but Ottawa San Diego can't be a busy pair and you'd lose most of the more lucrative parts of it to transfers. Toronto Tijuana seems like an interesting play but Ottawa ti TJ seems ridiculous.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
From what the Ishirion X post said, PDX is the route being considered for TIJ.
My first impression was Mexico City to YOW in the Ishrion post, but the Spanish language video shows Tijuana to YOW.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 1:52 AM

I flew YOW-MEX-YOW for work 2 weeks ago. Interestingly, when booking 3 weeks beforehand via YYZ with AC, business class ended up being cheaper than economy. 1160 CAD return. So I guess it means there does exist a pretty high demand for economy

Last edited by zzptichka; Jun 10, 2024 at 4:50 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation