HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 11:39 AM

Fox 13: Utah's red hot housing market continues at record-breaking pace

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-...breaking-april

Since we were talking about housing costs, I noticed this article yesterday.

Quote:
The median sales price of a Utah home in April 2021 was $425,000, an increase of 26.8% from the same time in 2020, while inventory at the end of the month was down just over 64% compared to last April.
I saw another article a while ago that had county by county breakdowns of prices. I remember that Utah County was only about 3k lower than Salt Lake County. Personally, I think Utah County will quickly become much more expensive than Salt Lake. Not because they are more desirable, but because I think the price-per-square-foot is going to start leveling out between the counties and Utah County houses are much larger on average.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 7:06 PM

Realtor.com

Quote:
Homes in Utah are selling 26 days faster than a year ago

Based on realtor.com properties and usage comparing April 2020 to April 2021, and data reported to realtor.com

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 8:35 PM
SLC Lifer

Brinshore

A little teaser: Just toured the Brinshore site. That project is going to be a very special tenant mix for Food and Bev. Just an unbelievable mix of local and national talent. I'll feed more info when the time is right. But I'm STOKED.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 8:41 PM

No doubt the housing market is extremely hot but comparing last March and April’s homes sales to this years homes sales for the same month may not provide the best usable data. Those two months were the beginning of the pandemic when numbers were all skewed for all sorts of reasons. Is the housing market up? Yes, but those 2 months last year may not be the best to judge any reliable figures off of in my opinion unless you take that information into account as a caveat to a normal years increase in home values.

I’m being knit picky I know

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 11:44 PM

https://youtu.be/jRmL_uY1gmo

A Hyatt regency progress video was posted on youtube today.

Includes some really awesome panning views of the city. Shows 95 s and Liberty Sky at good vantage points with context to the skyline. I also spot the closeby future sites of main street apartments and Astra tower, I'm drawing them in with my mind, and damn does it look good and dense.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 12:37 AM

Tag 400 w

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Address: 765 N 400 W

TAG has filed Planned Development documents for a 28 unit townhouse community.

Map

Site Plan

Buildings A & C Elevations

Building B Elevations

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 12:44 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post

592 W 200 S

Project Description:

Demo permits have been filed to make way for the 6 floor 150 residential unit Greenprint Gateway Apartments.

Tacky as fuck.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Tacky as fuck.
Yeah, I'm not too keen on it either. I'm glad something is being built, but this isn't something I'd go to the mat for.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:16 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmloverking View Post
https://youtu.be/jRmL_uY1gmo

A Hyatt regency progress video was posted on youtube today.

Includes some really awesome panning views of the city. Shows 95 s and Liberty Sky at good vantage points with context to the skyline. I also spot the closeby future sites of main street apartments and Astra tower, I'm drawing them in with my mind, and damn does it look good and dense.
Epic. I love the part starting at 3:11 where you can really appreciate the building's context in the skyline. I can't wait for Astra and 150 S Main to fill that gap.

Btw, design review for 150 S Main (Main Street Apartments) was just scheduled for the PC meeting on June 9th. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some hullabaloo over the Theatre at that meeting, even though that topic is not very relevant to the design review itself.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Epic. I love the part starting at 3:11 where you can really appreciate the building's context in the skyline. I can't wait for Astra and 150 S Main to fill that gap.

Btw, design review for 150 S Main (Main Street Apartments) was just scheduled for the PC meeting on June 9th. I wouldn't be too surprised to see some hullabaloo over the Theatre at that meeting, even though that topic is not very relevant to the design review itself.
I always enjoy the Hensel Phelps progress videos. The west side of downtown needed more glass in the skyline IMO. I like how the glass is using a couple different shades to create a vertical pattern. Due to it's location I think the CCH is really going to add to downtown and the view from i-15.

Hopefully 150 S Main doesn't get drawn out into a multi-year battle. Preserving history is something I value but downtown clearly doesn't suffer from a lack of theaters. It's true you can't create more (past) history but you can create new history. At this point I think it would be better utilization of the property to create additional housing and public space via the walkway and park.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 8:06 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
It is really scary seeing how quickly home prices are going up... I wish the gov would be more aggressive about solving the housing problems

The other night I picked up pizza really late somewhere on North Temple and the parking lot was filled with like 30+ homeless people it looked like a scene out of a movie... definitely not something I imagined I would see in SLC
I'm done with R1 zoning.

Fully radicalized now. Pass a federal law suspending R1 zoning nationally. Cities can "earn" it back my meeting 100% of its General Plan "housing" element regionally.

Call it "American Property Rights Freedom Preservation and Right to Build Residential Property Act" or something like that. Really flag-wave the crap out of it.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 8:27 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I'm done with R1 zoning.

Fully radicalized now. Pass a federal law suspending R1 zoning nationally. Cities can "earn" it back my meeting 100% of its General Plan "housing" element regionally.

Call it "American Property Rights Freedom Preservation and Right to Build Residential Property Act" or something like that. Really flag-wave the crap out of it.
Why? So everybody has a "right" to live in a giant flesh colored for-profit, stucco rental prison?

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 8:35 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Yeah, I'm not too keen on it either. I'm glad something is being built, but this isn't something I'd go to the mat for.
Certainly better than what is there now.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 8:53 PM

Renting is terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Why? So everybody has a "right" to live in a giant flesh colored for-profit, stucco rental prison?
The homeless issue in SLC is complicated and no amount of zoning or affordable/discounted housing can fix extreme poverty due to the drug abuse and mental illness aspect — which causes it. I think linking that is a mistake.

I do wish it was easier to build housing and especially multi-unit housing, however one of the main reasons the working poor or lower-middle class stay in that sphere is because they can’t own their own housing. Marvland is correct, they become rental prisons.

Further, because people don’t own the property, there is very little incentive to keep the properties up, which is one of the reasons federal housing projects fail. If you really wanted to create change, you need to massively build large condo developments and make them affordable to the lower middle class, but have mixed incomes in the facilities (Look at Singapore with their 99 year leases on gov. housing).

All our new construction right now is “luxury” apartments which for sure fills a need, but what is really is needed is massive (in size and number) nice but not “luxury” condo developments, like all of station park and the power station area and the granary. It’s sad that theolive is now apartments.

I’m super simplifying here and I know it’s not a perfect argument, but that’s the ship I would try to steer if in charge.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:38 PM

I would prefer that by right someone can build the next level up in density and cities would not be able to stop it as long as you met some very basic parameters. This would allow cities to level up over time and also take away concerns about a high rise in an R-1 zone (even though that is largely an exaggerated worry). I would also like to see us stop subsidizing R-1 by such aggressive sales tax revenue sharing between cities or just requiring cities to collect all their revenue for basic city services from property tax so citizens are no longer seen as a liability and then become an asset.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:47 PM
Exit 298

Eliminating R1 doesn't push us to RM. It pushes us to R2.

It allows people to get creative converting single family into dual unit properties (duplexes, second houses, splitting the upstairs/downstairs).

When I couldn't buy a house in my 20s, I shrugged and just said it was because I was too young. So I went back to school to get a STEM master's degree. Now I'm 36 and still can't afford anything anyplace. I never thought I'd be priced out of Utah! (That was always my escape plan: come home)

We have to BUILD our way out of this mess. It's the only way to stabilize prices, address the shortage, and make housing less appealing as an investment.

I'm soooooooo done with this crappy cycle:
  • Can't sprawl. We want to keep our farmland.
  • Can't up zone. We want to keep our neighborhood.
  • Can't move out of state. We have all the same problems. "Go back to California!"

There but for the grace of family am I, a professional with a professional degree, homeless. And if someone in my position feels this hopeless, is it any wonder we have actual homeless? Not to mention the invisible over-occupied houses which spread across the entire west? The 4-paycheck house is here in CA. Don't think it won't come to SLC? Wait 18 months...

We need to BUILD BUILD BUILD. All of the above! Infill? YES! High-rise? YES! TOD? YES! Sprawl? YES!

No city here in CA wants to take the lead, because they become the "dumping ground" for all the other cities, who cherry-pick the rich housing developments. We need to spread the pain around. Every city needs to be FORCED to remove restrictions which prevent the market from generating housing which there is huge demand for. Zoning is artificial. It's a fake barrier we've put up to maintain order. It's waaaaaaaay out of whack now (3+ million units short in CA; probably 100,000+ short in Utah).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
I would prefer that by right someone can build the next level up in density and cities would not be able to stop it as long as you met some very basic parameters. This would allow cities to level up over time and also take away concerns about a high rise in an R-1 zone (even though that is largely an exaggerated worry). I would also like to see us stop subsidizing R-1 by such aggressive sales tax revenue sharing between cities or just requiring cities to collect all their revenue for basic city services from property tax so citizens are no longer seen as a liability and then become an asset.

Great point! I hadn't thought about the way taxes are structured. Makes Prop 13 here (CA) even more sinister.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 10:55 PM

I agree about R1 zoning. Not sure about a Federal mandate but I do think R1 needs to be eliminated.

During the GOP gubernatorial, primary debate last year one of the candidates talked about how we are cramming people into the 5-6 counties that make up the Wasatch front and that we need to encourage development in Utah's other counties. I get frustrated with arguments like these because, in reality, there is plenty of land remaining in Salt Lake City, let alone Salt Lake County, let alone the Wasatch Front. 8 Million people live on the island of Hong Kong. That is over twice the population of the entire state of Utah. Manhattan Island has 1.6 Million people living on less than a quarter the land area of Salt Lake City proper. Maybe people don't want to live in a place that is that densely populated but I believe there are enough people who do that we can free up allot of space for those who don't. If we allowed more high density residential development there would be more space for people who want to live on 1/2 Acre lots.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 12:57 AM

The IRIS - Transit Station Development

Address: 443 West 400 North

Project Description:
Quote:
THE IRIS is a multi-family apartment building with 141 units located at 443 West 400 North in Salt Lake City, Utah. There will be six unit types including studio, one bed, and two beds. The existing property is a warehouse for Horizon Snack Foods that includes a large open area for parking and logistics. We will be replacing all elements on the site with a podium-style building that has five levels of wood construction over two levels of concrete parking. There will be active uses on the first two levels adjacent to the street frontage.
So I guess we now know what is going to be built on that Loopnet site we have been watching.

Loopnet Advertisement

Project Renderings

Street (North) Facade

West Facade

East Facade

Street (North) Facade

South Facade

Roof Deck

Site Plan

Current Site Use, Vicinity Map, & Zoning Map:

Elevations

Interestingly, CW Urban had another project in planning that was announced 3 years ago called 'The Iris' that was discussed in this Building Salt Lake article. I'm guessing that project must have fallen through then? It has been 3 years and no movement after all.

Source

Source

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Tacky as fuck.
I agree. I live in this area and it's in serious danger of becoming very very bland. I haven't been impressed with hardly any of the complexes that have gone up in the GMU zone recently. It needs some updated design standards, but I fear that it will be too late by the time it gets some. The worst offender is the recently-announced Huxley.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I'm done with R1 zoning.

It's not even the homelessness problem that initially draws my attention to how awful zoning laws are... I was in West Jordan (maybe) and came across the most massive, intense road just casually in like a neighborhood. There were kids crossing this insane street. I'm very used to big suburban roads but at what point does it end? This mandated sprawl is not sustainable

Random pic of the 'flex lane' road

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West