HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 11:44 AM
Ex Houstonian

I just can't get over how ironic and sad all of this is. It is basically the sad story of American manufacturing and how much this region and ultimately the country has declined. US Steel was once a great force to be reconned with in an impressive steel monolithic tower now 50 years later reduced to 5 stories of rubble. A satirist couldn't have come up with a more palpable way to show how much US Steel has declined.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 11:50 AM

A little salt in the wound:

Quote:
People speculated for years about where U.S. Steel might go when its lease expired. Reports linked the company to a proposed $238 million, 33-story skyscraper on Smithfield Street, Downtown, or a seven-story building there when Oxford Development Co. presented development plans in May 2012. Other reports tied it to a site near Pittsburgh International Airport.

One Downtown site the company considered was a vacant parcel along Fort Pitt Boulevard, behind One Smithfield building, owned by Burns & Scalo Real Estate Services. “They toured our site and really liked it. Their decision, in the end, was for a more horizontal campus, versus a vertical campus,” said Jim Scalo, president.
http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/7...#ixzz3K525RvBb

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I just can't get over how ironic and sad all of this is. It is basically the sad story of American manufacturing and how much this region and ultimately the country has declined.
Eh, technology, changing business models, and international competition has led to US Steel no longer being a huge employer, but that is all part of the typical life cycle of corporations in mature industries. All that doesn't have to mean anything terrible for the region or country.

The region specifically is better off no longer being so dependent on one particular industry--that is part of the problem here, that we are clinging to a vision of a Pittsburgh that needs US Steel, which it does not. Nor does it need the Penguins, which was part of the problem too.

And the country would be OK if labor's share of corporate income, both directly and indirectly, was not declining. Some people like to blame technology and globalization for that too, and pretend the end result was inevitable. What they conveniently overlook is that related public policies and institutions, rather than being used to offset the predictable effects, manage the necessary transitions, and invest in increasing the future labor share of income, have instead been restructured to make the situation even worse so as to benefit capital's share of income (although this may be short-sighted to the extent it ultimately proves unsustainable, and the Great Recession was a huge warning sign to that effect).

So don't be sad for US Steel's income. Be sad that there is plenty of income being made by many other companies, and yet neither is labor sharing in that income as much as it used to, nor are we doing nearly as much as we could to invest in better conditions for future workers. And in that context it is the sorts of crony capitalism that has led up to this publicly-subsidized underutilization of centrally-located urban land that are the real problem, not US Steel being a relic of its former self.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 1:47 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
And in that context it is the sorts of crony capitalism that has led up to this publicly-subsidized underutilization of centrally-located urban land that are the real problem, not US Steel being a relic of its former self.
Even Pittsburgh's 'progressive savior' and 'Pittsburgh boy' Peduto indulged in this despicable display of crony capitalism. It takes more than bike lanes.

Quote:
If only! That's a 14-story, 200', 910,000 sqft building.
When I first heard US Steel and Penguins were going to be making an announcement yesterday morning, I was fully expecting to be disappointed in a Mellon Client Services - scaled HQ proposal. I would've never dreamed they would present to us a Days Inn - scaled HQ.

According to this article from the Business Times... US Steel will be vacating 425k sq ft at the Steel Tower to take 250k at their new horizontal campus. That's a decline of 175k sq ft... are they really leasing that much underutilized space in the Steel Tower? Pretty amazing.

I wonder if Winthrop Management is going to get an equivalent $50M+ package to attract a tenant from elsewhere in Downtown Pittsburgh to fill the hole caused by the departing and heavily bribed US Steel....

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...ve-on-the.html

Quote:

Thomas Harrington, general manager for Winthrop Management LP, which manages U.S. Steel's current lease at 600 Grant St., called the move disappointing.

"As the founding tenant of 600 Grant St., U. S. Steel has a long and storied history with this iconic tower, from its design and development to its rise to prominence as the most significant office tower in Pittsburgh," said Harrington. "We look forward to working with the city, county and state economic development partners to attract new tenants to the building and contribute to growth in the region."

source: Post-Gazette

Last edited by Evergrey; Nov 25, 2014 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:43 PM

The more I think about it, what I hate the most isn't the low-slung nature of the building, but how the horizontal aspect doesn't work for urbanity either.

I mean, for whatever reason, the Penguins decided to frame this block with parkland. We already knew the block further towards town was going to be open space, save for some retail structure near its tip. And the block above it on Wylie was supposed to be parkland as well. So some level of intensive density would have been needed to counter this open space.

But U.S. Steel couldn't even be bothered to fill in the block. 1/3rd of it is still open space, which will be taken up by a patio and landscaping. It would be trivial for them to turn the building into a "ring" and have a courtyard in the center, which would at least result in a continual street wall around the entire block.

I will give the Penguins at least one bit of credit as developers - unlike the Steelers, they have made claims that they plan to reduce the total number of parking spaces in the Lower Hill, not hold steady or increase. So far, we haven't seen them fall off of this plan, and the U.S. Steel building, crappy as it is, doesn't have a parking lot in the rear.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 4:59 PM
BANNED

Make no mistake about it... this is an SEA/Penguins building... right down to the Consol-matching, Pittsburgh-yellow and tan brickwork. The plaza gives the SEA/Penguins the plaza they always wanted for the Consol, but couldn't have because of Epiphany Church.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I mean, for whatever reason, the Penguins decided to frame this block with parkland. We already knew the block further towards town was going to be open space, save for some retail structure near its tip. And the block above it on Wylie was supposed to be parkland as well. So some level of intensive density would have been needed to counter this open space.
I assure you that the park adjacent to Consol Energy Center is very much the Penguins' central design feature. They want an open public space in immediate site of the arena's entrance specifically for a permanent venue to host their outdoor game watching parties during the playoffs. From the time they were still in the Civic Arena, they have gone out of their way to keep that event in proximity of an arena entrance, even attempting to place it (unsuccessfully) on the small lawn between the Epiphany church and the small plaza at arena's American Eagle Gate at Fifth Avenue. The franchise loves that branding and national attention they get from the overall display. Every iteration of the plan has left that space across from the Trib Total Media gate and often shows a sort of amphitheater configuration to the sidewalks in it. For the Penguins, everything must be designed around that park.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 9:29 PM

If US Steel insists on building something this short and this squat, it's really a shame they didn't consider becoming the anchor of the Carrie Furnace Development instead. That would have been a good-sized development to kick off that new district and would have been in sight of their former icon that should hopefully become quite the tourist destination in the near future. Their inclusion of a steel museum would have really made that whole dynamic work at that site.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crash View Post
I assure you that the park adjacent to Consol Energy Center is very much the Penguins' central design feature. They want an open public space in immediate site of the arena's entrance specifically for a permanent venue to host their outdoor game watching parties during the playoffs. From the time they were still in the Civic Arena, they have gone out of their way to keep that event in proximity of an arena entrance, even attempting to place it (unsuccessfully) on the small lawn between the Epiphany church and the small plaza at arena's American Eagle Gate at Fifth Avenue. The franchise loves that branding and national attention they get from the overall display. Every iteration of the plan has left that space across from the Trib Total Media gate and often shows a sort of amphitheater configuration to the sidewalks in it. For the Penguins, everything must be designed around that park.
So wait, is that like tailgating? Why the hell would people want to watch a game from the outside (on a TV?) rather than in the venue, or at home?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 9:34 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Youv'e never heard of them doing that? hundreds to thousands of people show up to watch the game on the screen outside, its free. And yes, it's kinda like tailgating.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 9:49 PM
BANNED

Kinda like tailgating... except these "tailgaters" cannot bring in their own alcohol.

But they certainly can watch on the big screen for free in the "FedEx Ground Fan Zone" and pay the arena premium prices for food and beer. They can even visit the "Miller Lite Party Pavilion" for drink specials or go to the "Verizon Plaza" for family fun and food from Pizza Hut and free giveaways sponsored by Dick's Sporting Goods. I think we can see the reason they want this permanent space...

As I said above, the Pens have really desired to have this space (which they haven't really had because of the Consol configuration and Epiphany Church) -- its a big revenue generator when they would otherwise get none (away games during the playoffs).

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Kinda like tailgating... except these "tailgaters" cannot bring in their own alcohol.

But they certainly can watch on the big screen for free in the "FedEx Ground Fan Zone" and pay the arena premium prices for food and beer.

As I said above, the Pens have really desired to have this space -- its a big revenue generator when they would otherwise get none (away games during the playoffs).
It is impressive how big those crowds can get. In recent years they've actually deferred the food sales to local food trucks who have had a lot of success there. Instead the Penguins have turned their sales attention to a merchandise trailer parked on site. No alcohol sales though; it's banned altogether and surprisingly enforced pretty strictly.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 9:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I Instead the Penguins have turned their sales attention to a merchandise trailer parked on site. No alcohol sales though; it's banned altogether and surprisingly enforced pretty strictly.
There's definitely beer sales at the tents set up... I went to one of the games 2 seasons ago and drank plenty.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 10:00 PM
BANNED

We're basically getting another instance of what we see on the North Shore, with the Steelers/Contintental developing what is best for the Steelers... we'll get development on the Arena site that is best for the Penguins. But was there really ever any doubt?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Youv'e never heard of them doing that? hundreds to thousands of people show up to watch the game on the screen outside, its free. And yes, it's kinda like tailgating.
I know nothing about sports, and I've gone through most of my life trying to maintain that ignorance. Sorry.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 10:54 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Eh, technology, changing business models, and international competition has led to US Steel no longer being a huge employer, but that is all part of the typical life cycle of corporations in mature industries. All that doesn't have to mean anything terrible for the region or country.

The region specifically is better off no longer being so dependent on one particular industry--that is part of the problem here, that we are clinging to a vision of a Pittsburgh that needs US Steel, which it does not. Nor does it need the Penguins, which was part of the problem too.

And the country would be OK if labor's share of corporate income, both directly and indirectly, was not declining. Some people like to blame technology and globalization for that too, and pretend the end result was inevitable. What they conveniently overlook is that related public policies and institutions, rather than being used to offset the predictable effects, manage the necessary transitions, and invest in increasing the future labor share of income, have instead been restructured to make the situation even worse so as to benefit capital's share of income (although this may be short-sighted to the extent it ultimately proves unsustainable, and the Great Recession was a huge warning sign to that effect).

So don't be sad for US Steel's income. Be sad that there is plenty of income being made by many other companies, and yet neither is labor sharing in that income as much as it used to, nor are we doing nearly as much as we could to invest in better conditions for future workers. And in that context it is the sorts of crony capitalism that has led up to this publicly-subsidized underutilization of centrally-located urban land that are the real problem, not US Steel being a relic of its former self.
You do have a point. What's next for this company? Could someone possibly buy them out or merge with them? In hindsight, I kinda wish they would've built the current US Steel Building as the World's tallest. So what if it would've been surpassed by One World Trade Center a few years later? We'd still have a 90-some-story highrise...

It stinks even more that the very companies driving Pittsburgh's current economy aren't interested in highrises (save for PNC of course), but low-rise campuses out in the suburbs. Chevron I believe is building a new regional hq near the airport, and isn't there someone else about to build a similar hq facility? Westinghouse relocated to Cranberry, Consol has its sprawling complex in Southpointe. Who is left to really add to the vertical vibrancy of Downtown?

I am hoping that in the not too distant future, we'll finally hit those rents were we might see a 30-plus-story building boom as well as a big influx of companies looking to take up the space to warrant the construction of these buildings...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 10:58 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know nothing about sports, and I've gone through most of my life trying to maintain that ignorance. Sorry.
Don't worry, so have I. The only reason I knew about is because my roommate is obsessed with The Penguins and I've been reluctantly dragged there many times. I couldn't care less about sports but this is a sports obsessed city so its hard to avoid it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 11:56 PM

The entire development has way too much green space as-is. I don't know why 1/3rd of this entire US Steel block needs to be green space also. A courtyard does make a lot more sense. I guess that it's better than parking, but the whole thing is going to have a Gateway Center vibe from street level (only without the height, apparently).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:
If US Steel insists on building something this short and this squat, it's really a shame they didn't consider becoming the anchor of the Carrie Furnace Development instead. That would have been a good-sized development to kick off that new district and would have been in sight of their former icon that should hopefully become quite the tourist destination in the near future. Their inclusion of a steel museum would have really made that whole dynamic work at that site.
Even better yet, they should build it at the Alomono/Pittsburgh Technology center development along 2nd ave. This would be a much more appropriate place for a horizontal building of this size and shape, and it would give them their "campus" that they want so badly while still being in the city. That whole development is essentially one giant corporate campus as is.

Now that I have come to my senses, you can't really blame US Steel or the Penguins for this fiasco. They are simply trying to look out for their best interests as corporations, and the city caved in and handed them the most favorable situations possible.

This one is ALL on the politicians. Using public funds to build sports stadiums is one thing, but giving sports teams unfettered development rights to huge blank slates downtown is the gift that just keeps on giving. The processes that lead to these corrupt "gifts" should be thoroughly investigated, because I have zero doubt that laundry list of illegal activities took place during them.

The Penguins were never going to move to Kansas City, they would have folded within 3 years. This was a textbook bluff, a laughable one at that, and the politicians should have done their jobs and called them on it. But they don't work for us, they work for big corporations like the Penguins and US Steel who give them huge kickbacks and campaign contributions for caving on issues like this.

A great analogy to this situation on the national level would be the bank bailouts. Politicians everywhere are nothing more than piles of corrupt garbage disguised by a handsome suit of lies. Until people wake up and see through this B.S. it will just be more of the same... rinse, wash, repeat.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 7:48 AM

Plans for new developments at Station Square have emerged:

Quote:
Owner Forest City Enterprises is proposing to redevelop the east side of the complex, now used mainly for parking, with 300 units of apartments in the first phase, plus offices, a hotel and perhaps more residential in later phases. Public parking will still be available, according to Forest City. . . . Mr. LaRue said the first apartments will be built on the northwest part of the site next to the Smithfield Street Bridge. Construction is expected to start in the spring, and the first units should be available sometime in 2017.

The first phase likely will consist of two connected buildings, each four to five stories, with underground parking for residents. There also will be some ancillary retail. What is built in the other two phases will depend on market demand, Mr. LaRue said. . . . Forest City will present plans for the development Tuesday evening at the Sheraton Station Square Hotel. The city planning commission is expected to review the proposal next month. A conceptual drawing shows six buildings built on the east side, although Mr. LaRue said that was “just massing plans.”
http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201411270101

I like the massing/density in the rendering, but obviously that really depends on what happens in the later phases.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations