HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 5:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

What would you say is working best there? I loved 17th. That row of balconies that the Ship & Anchor is part of was great.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Taking a block to be a pedestrian mall would be awesome; maybe over on the east side of Water Street? Say from Prescott west to the next intersection, which I believe is by the court house?
That segment of Water Street from Prescott to Clift's Cove looks like a good prospect. Traffic could naturally divert via Prescott/Harbour and McBrides/Duckworth.

Another interesting segment of Water Street is the George Street section between Becks Cove and Bishop Cove. That would create a combined pedestrian zone including George Street, Water Street, and Murray Premises. Perhaps it could draw foot traffic from the nearby Convention Centre, Mile One Centre, and City Hall and feed some foot traffic to the Keg and Jack Astor's restaurants on the harbour.

Do others think a pedestrian mall actually has traction in City Council? Councillor Lane appears supportive (though I don't believe he has made public any in-depth discussion on the matter), and I believe His Worship was discussing it on CrossTalk today (but I have yet to listen). A conservative approach, while work is ongoing on Water, might close a segment of Water just on Saturdays in the summer and combine it with a farmers' market or evening entertainment and see what happens.

Wikipedia has a nice overview of pedestrian zones: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrian_zone#Canada

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
That segment of Water Street from Prescott to Clift's Cove looks like a good prospect. Traffic could naturally divert via Prescott/Harbour and McBrides/Duckworth.

Another interesting segment of Water Street is the George Street section between Becks Cove and Bishop Cove. That would create a combined pedestrian zone including George Street, Water Street, and Murray Premises. Perhaps it could draw foot traffic from the nearby Convention Centre, Mile One Centre, and City Hall and feed some foot traffic to the Keg and Jack Astor's restaurants on the harbour.

Do others think a pedestrian mall actually has traction in City Council? Councillor Lane appears supportive (though I don't believe he has made public any in-depth discussion on the matter), and I believe His Worship was discussing it on CrossTalk today (but I have yet to listen). A conservative approach, while work is ongoing on Water, might close a segment of Water just on Saturdays in the summer and combine it with a farmers' market or evening entertainment and see what happens.

Wikipedia has a nice overview of pedestrian zones: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrian_zone#Canada
I like the idea of using Adelaide/Bishops to George/Becks. I just did a measurement and it is approximately 150 meters. You could incorporate the Murray Premises courtyard and the two laneways to George Street. There are already a lot of restaurants along that stretch as well, so it would seem like a very fitting area.

I would love to see this happen!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:46 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I like that portion as well. The prettiest chunk.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I like the idea of using Adelaide/Bishops to George/Becks. I just did a measurement and it is approximately 150 meters. You could incorporate the Murray Premises courtyard and the two laneways to George Street. There are already a lot of restaurants along that stretch as well, so it would seem like a very fitting area.

I would love to see this happen!
While I’m not 100% sold on the idea of a pedestrian mall for our very limited downtown, the area you have outlined probably has the most potential for the reasons you have cited.

There would be a good flow from the restaurants on the waterfront, up to even more on Water St, with a few boutiques thrown in, and then on to George St. which God knows needs a serious makeover (time to dust off that report) and onwards up to City Hall, which itself could use some sprucing up.

Brightening up the laneways, adding some greenery, would greatly enhance that area.

As for the impact on vehicular traffic I think that could be mitigated. As it is, that block is probably the most congested anyway and diverting to Harbour Dr. might actually improve things. The loss of a few dozen parking spots could easily be made up. I have a great idea for something right in that area that I may share at some point.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 1:16 PM

Oh what the heck, I don’t have the money to do it so I might as well give away my ideas.

Ever since the Fabulous 50’s was torn down a few years ago I’ve looked with envy at that lot and wondered why it is still just a surface parking lot. Doesn’t anyone have any imagination? I’m surprised the Murray Premises Hotel hasn’t jumped at the opportunity to expand.

I would try to bury two levels of parking and on top build a four story structure in the same style as the Murray Premises with a courtyard in the middle. But that’s just my idea. Right now it is just as waste of very valuable space.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 4:50 PM

Sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately I find that very few developers in this city have any sort of real vision when it comes to building something nice and decent with an interesting design. They all like to take the cheapy route usually. "Can we put corrugated steel siding on there instead of brick and masonry?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
Oh what the heck, I don’t have the money to do it so I might as well give away my ideas.

Ever since the Fabulous 50’s was torn down a few years ago I’ve looked with envy at that lot and wondered why it is still just a surface parking lot. Doesn’t anyone have any imagination? I’m surprised the Murray Premises Hotel hasn’t jumped at the opportunity to expand.

I would try to bury two levels of parking and on top build a four story structure in the same style as the Murray Premises with a courtyard in the middle. But that’s just my idea. Right now it is just as waste of very valuable space.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 2:13 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The Star of the Sea hole is getting bigger.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2015, 6:25 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

St. John's Convention Centre expansion.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
St. John's Convention Centre expansion.

Where is that first picture taken from?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 12:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Behind Mile One.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Behind Mile One.
OK. I got it. I couldn't orient myself. I have never been back there. Thanks

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 5:47 PM

Things have been quiet here lately, we need some big new proposals, or at least a rumour of one, to wake us up.

It is now May, the snow is gone, yet there isn’t a whole lot of new activity going on. Forget the Team Gushue, I think that is a lost cause, there is no reason activity shouldn’t have started on it by now, assuming tenders have been let.

On a positive note, excavation has started for the Sandman (?) hotel on Kenmount Road and I noticed that early site prep seems to have been completed for the Micro Hotel on the corner of Water and Temperance. I wouldn’t get too excited about that one just yet, according to Councillor Hann a few weeks ago there was no formal proposal before council, and we all know how quickly they act.

Most of the activity seems to be out on Hebron Way with the three new office buildings coming along nicely. They are still moving mountains of dirt out around Galway (Glencrest industrial) but I doubt if we will see any buildings rise this year.

Hopefully we will soon see The Star of the Sea rise from the ashes. That hole is massive.

Work on the new Science building is set to start by the end of the month with the “eviction” of the parkers and the building of the construction fences. It will probably be a year or two before we see any rise above that fence.

Let’s keep the faith, perhaps there will be something to comment on soon.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 6:56 PM

I checked on the TGH and work has resumed on the overpass(s) at Old Pennywell and collector roads. At the rate they work, I'd expect these to be complete in August. No sign of any work on Blackmarsh or Topsail Rd

I contacted a member of the media recently to see if they could update articles from last Fall on the TGH in light of the recent budget.

Don't forget the work at the Airport, should see steel rising there very soon.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 11:19 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
The Star of the Sea hole is getting bigger.

That's a large excavation for St. John's. Glad to see this project seems to be going ahead.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 12:32 PM

Shutdown of Runway at airport in June

Just wondering if anyone has a sense of what the impact will be to flights arriving and departing at the airport in June, when they shut down the main runway?

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 2:54 PM

I would imagine it is going to impact flights on certain days when the wind direction is not cooperating. So delays and/or cancellations might likely be an issue once the the runway closes.

Though I can't really see an alternative. This work and upgrades has to be done and will be very beneficial once its completed, allowing flights to take off and land in fog. That will be a major obstacle that will be eliminated when travelling to and from this city. So it will be worth the temporary inconvenience in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkey View Post

Just wondering if anyone has a sense of what the impact will be to flights arriving and departing at the airport in June, when they shut down the main runway?

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:34 PM

JFK is also working on their main incoming runway this summer and will have a similar disruption.
Halifax had a month+ long disruption on their main runway recently, so this type of disruption is not unusual in the industry. It will be worth it when complete.

Old Posted May 8, 2015, 7:19 PM

According to Council Agenda for next week, Star of the Sea Condo is Approved for development, so expect to see that project take-off soon.

Also, demolition permit for 3 buildings (517, 530, 806) in Pleasantville so likely more development coming soon to that area - apartments I hope !

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 1:46 PM

Noticed that there is some serious excavating going on at the site of the proposed Sandman Signature Hotel location on Kenmount Road. Has anyone seen a render or any kind of design for this hotel yet? Here is link to a recent opening of a Sandman Hotel in Kamloops BC. Not expecting it to be as big as this but this might give an idea of how the St. John's location may look.

http://armchairmayor.ca/2014/04/11/s...-for-business/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's