HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 12:15 AM

A nice mid-rise development on that lot would be great to see. It would help fill in the gaps on the upper part of Canal St. I wonder if it is related in any way to the overall redevelopment of the Iberville and surrounding neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 12:16 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.O.L.A. View Post
Last time I saw, which was probably 6 months ago, it was 7-8 flrs.

Seems that it went to 15 floors since then and has now grown to above 20 floors.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 2:55 PM

CBD's Oil and Gas Building becoming Canopy by Hilton

Last edited by prettyboyfloyd; Oct 8, 2015 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 4:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyboyfloyd View Post
You better hide that news from FenderOz lol... Glad to see something happening with the building. Never heard of Canopy before but seems neat.

Slab Poured this Morning for my place at 201 South Villere:

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 8, 2015 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 5:25 PM

first time seeing a color rendering of D&B. I really like the facade...very dynamic with the random glass. I think it will be a great addition.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
You better hide that news from FenderOz lol... Glad to see something happening with the building. Never heard of Canopy before but seems neat.
Oh I already knew that one was in the pipeline so no surprise here

Has there been any news on renovations to 1010 Common? Seeing Corporate Realty's recent figures on occupancy rates in the CBD, that poor building can't seem to get any new tenants... Probably because it's in shoddy condition...

http://corp-realty.com/wp-content/up...vey-CR-red.pdf

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 6:01 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Oh I already knew that one was in the pipeline so no surprise here

Has there been any news on renovations to 1010 Common? Seeing Corporate Realty's recent figures on occupancy rates in the CBD, that poor building can't seem to get any new tenants... Probably because it's in shoddy condition...

http://corp-realty.com/wp-content/up...vey-CR-red.pdf

It wont get any new tenants until the building is re-positioned. It was just recently sold so Id expect some changes ala the Exchange Center Building which completely revamped that building. As the neighborhood around the building gets redeveloped, I think it will be alot easier to attract tenants. That said the common areas of it(no pun intended) need an upgrade.

As for new hotels id expect whatever is happening with NOPSI to be announced next and then that really only leaves two large buildings or complexes in NOLA to put back into use. Charity Hospital/Old VA Complex and Plaza Tower. Crazy how quickly everything has been redeveloped.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Seems that it went to 15 floors since then and has now grown to above 20 floors.
Well that is certainly a change! I'm just glad to see a surface lot go. And height on Canal Street has never really bothered me personally. I know that's not the case for many others (cue the protests).

On a separate note, Tennis, congratulations on your slab pour! ha

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:

As for new hotels id expect whatever is happening with NOPSI to be announced next and then that really only leaves two large buildings or complexes in NOLA to put back into use. Charity Hospital/Old VA Complex and Plaza Tower. Crazy how quickly everything has been redeveloped.
Whatever is happening with the NOPSI building is happening now. There is a Woodward sign up and I can see guys working on the building right now.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2015, 9:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Whatever is happening with the NOPSI building is happening now. There is a Woodward sign up and I can see guys working on the building right now.

Yeah I saw they applied for office space in the basement with the Board of Building Standards and Appeals but it never said anything else about what is going on there. No permits from what I can see either. Perhaps ill look through demo permits to find out.

Also, NOLA there isnt a height limit on that stretch of Canal so no protest can happen there.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 12:22 AM

Ursa Major restaurant, open only 5 months, will close Saturday (Oct. 10)

Quote:
Ursa Major restaurant, an anchor of the Paramount building at the new CBD South Market District development, will close Saturday (Oct. 11). It opened on May 30, a little more than four months ago.

A spokeswoman for the building confirmed the closure.

The owners of the Bywater restaurant Booty's, Nick Vivion and Kevin Farrell, created Ursa Major.

The restaurant had a unique concept. Each month a new cocktail list was created based on a different zodiac sign. The menu of small plates was inspired by cultures who "followed the stars."

Rather than traditional reservations, Ursa Major required that customers buy a $20 advance ticket. That amont would then be applied to their bill.

The restaurant's management has not returned calls for comments.

The spokeswoman for the South Market District said the Paramount project, despite the failure of Ursa Major, is a success and a new tenant would soon be announced.

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf..._opened_o.html

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 2:13 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
I tried to like that place but couldnt. great location though so curious who the new tenant will be.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 2:27 AM

Tennis, I hope you don't mind me posting an image from your blog:

I like the look and scale of this project. I imagine there will be some backlash against it, but that strip along the tracks sucks the life out of two vibrant neighborhoods as it is.

I'm also enjoying the progress on the Iberville redevelopment. I think it will be a nice upgrade, especially with the street grid restored. Getting the former Winn-Dixie on Basin St. redone as a grocery store would be a major improvement for the area.

Having worked in 1010 Common, I don't think it's so bad for being low-priced office space, although it could certainly use a refresh, preferably with some ground floor retail. With all of the new apartments, theaters and hotels opening around it, I think it will become more attractive. In fact it's probably the largest block of available space in the CBD, so if the city is working on luring a major business, it might be good to market that space.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 5:01 PM

New Canal Street Building?

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...medium=twitter

I know there was some discussion about a parking lot on Canal St. possibly being developed to a new 20 story building. I don't have an account with New Orleans City Business, but saw this article mentioning the possibility of new office building development on Canal. If someone has an account with them, could you see what it says about this? And also can anyone determine if this is in reference to the parking lot that y'all discussed earlier on?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 5:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Tennis, I hope you don't mind me posting an image from your blog:

I like the look and scale of this project. I imagine there will be some backlash against it, but that strip along the tracks sucks the life out of two vibrant neighborhoods as it is.

I'm also enjoying the progress on the Iberville redevelopment. I think it will be a nice upgrade, especially with the street grid restored. Getting the former Winn-Dixie on Basin St. redone as a grocery store would be a major improvement for the area.

Having worked in 1010 Common, I don't think it's so bad for being low-priced office space, although it could certainly use a refresh, preferably with some ground floor retail. With all of the new apartments, theaters and hotels opening around it, I think it will become more attractive. In fact it's probably the largest block of available space in the CBD, so if the city is working on luring a major business, it might be good to market that space.
I absolutely do not mind as long as you give credit.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 5:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWXGuy1208 View Post
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...medium=twitter

I know there was some discussion about a parking lot on Canal St. possibly being developed to a new 20 story building. I don't have an account with New Orleans City Business, but saw this article mentioning the possibility of new office building development on Canal. If someone has an account with them, could you see what it says about this? And also can anyone determine if this is in reference to the parking lot that y'all discussed earlier on?
That's a separate project. There is a proposed office building further up Canal by the hospitals. If you look back over the past couple weeks you will find information about it.

Also I don't think its really the first new office building in cbd in 25 years. International Shipholding has been building new headquarters in CBD and Im sure there are others.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 6:46 PM
-

Emeril Lagasse Will Bring A New Concept to Warehouse District in 2016

http://nola.eater.com/2015/10/13/952...strict-in-2016

Im guessing this new concept will be at the bottom of the 425 Notre Dame condo project on the Girod Street side. I Believe his daughter married a Brennan and the Brennans developed the project so would make a lot of sense.

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 13, 2015 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 8:24 PM

A few more updates from around town:

The GNO Foundation building:

And the WWII Museum parking garage:

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Emeril Lagasse Will Bring A New Concept to Warehouse District in 2016

http://nola.eater.com/2015/10/13/952...strict-in-2016

Im guessing this new concept will be at the bottom of the 425 Notre Dame condo project on the Girod Street side. I Believe his daughter married a Brennan and the Brennans developed the project so would make a lot of sense.
Has to be it...last I heard from him there wasn't any money in the restaurant business thanks to Obama-care.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 9:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
A few more updates from around town:

The GNO Foundation building:

And the WWII Museum parking garage:
Its amazing how quickly they can put up Parking garages now. Thanks for the photos!

New restaurant Merils

Last edited by tennis1400; Oct 14, 2015 at 9:06 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations