HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 9:41 PM
Steel City USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy
F-M, don't let a bunch of arrogant Winnipeggers get to you. I was merely presenting the possibility in a thread in that forum that if Winnipeg doesn't get its act together, Fargo-Moorhead may surpass it someday in the far future.
Winnipeg doesnt look like it's a city in good shape. Maybe it could be reffered to as the "Detroit of Canada." I have never been there so i cant say anything, but judging by pictures it doesnt look to be on some kind of comeback like Detroit either.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 10:56 PM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer1708
Winnipeg doesnt look like it's a city in good shape. Maybe it could be reffered to as the "Detroit of Canada." I have never been there so i cant say anything, but judging by pictures it doesnt look to be on some kind of comeback like Detroit either.
Trying to get the train back on the tracks... (it's a Fargo/Moorhead thread...)

Anyways, I've finally finished the Comprehensive Exam for the Masters level in Comp Science at NDSU. Glad to get that out of the way, so now I can do some more posting!!!

Anyways, I'm sitting here at the Atomic Coffee in downtown Fargo and I must say, I'm impressed. Right as I walked in they were in the process of installing their new fancy chairs to replace some cheapy plastic ones. Good thing too, I just about broke the plastic one!!! It was pretty cheap. Anyways, it's got good atmosphere and one of the girls behind the counter is a hottie, so I also have eye candy to look at.

Saw a few more developments going up around town, but nothing too spectacular. I think, while the family is cooking Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, I'm going to head out early and take some pics of the developments in Fargo. Maybe throw them into a photothread. We'll see. I should be starting the Blog back up here pretty soon since the workload on my shoulders just decreased considerably.

Have a good thanksgiving everyone!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 11:30 PM

Bigger and Brighter Downtown

The other thing I failed to mention, was that as I was driving downtown I keep seeing small changes that weren't there when I last visited. For example, I was driving down Broadway and was heading north. I saw this nifty LED display that Fort Knox had just installed on the side of it's building. It just happened to be flashing advertisements for NDSU Bison sports, which is always good in my books. I tried to flash a pic with my phone camera, but traffic started flowing again, so I missed that opportunity.

I got to thinking, I've been seeing a couple of this signs go up lately, and believe it wouldn't hurt if more of them went up downtown. I think it would create an overall sense of "things always happening" downtown, and give it a more fast paced feel. Of course I don't want it plastered like Times Square in NY, but I don't think it could hurt, unless the building was already a gem, like the HoDo. ( I wouldn't stick anything on the HoDo... it's too nice... )

But like the Forum Building, they could definitely use something. I'd like to see something along the lines of what is on the outside of MSNBC or CNN building or the Nasdaq building, displaying the latest headlines from around the world. With today's technology, it shouldn't be tough to do, even for the Fargo Forum.

Here's something like what I'm talking about :

Of course, it doesn't need to be this grand, but anything would be better than that plain old building facade that they currently have. Here's another question... If WDAY and WDAZ and the Fargo-Forum, are all owned by Forum Communications Company, why don't they just building a new building downtown and combine all the resources so they are in one place (Obviously WDAZ can stay in Grand Forks)? If it was built right, it would be a nice 6-8 storey building and it would probably look quite nice. Then gut the current Fargo-Forum building and rennovate it for offices and condos (mid-range). I think that would be pretty cool...

Thoughts?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 12:31 AM

I was also thinking. I just saw a show on the Science channel where they have a laser, neon, led, light show, choreographed so you basically see a huge displayed on the shore front from the bay (against all of the highrises). I can't remember if it's Tokyo, Singapore, or Shanghia, but it was damn cool. It got me thinking, why the heck don't we do something like that downtown? Obviously it doesn't have to be on scale with that, but add a couple of neon lights on the tops of the taller buildings or do a color effect like that building in downtown Minneapolis ( I think it's the Target Corp, where it changes color every couple of seconds... ). That I think would be cool, especially to see it from like the interstate, or downtown Moorhead or the surrounding area. It would definitely add a "pull" factor to downtown and maybe attract more people to it. Especially if the effects are done well....

(My lame attempt at my idea from a very low quality photo... I'll try to improve upon it in the future... )

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 2:15 AM
Steel City USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison
Trying to get the train back on the tracks... (it's a Fargo/Moorhead thread...)
Sorry, Nano i just wanted to know what Winnipeg was like. Seems like a lot of them visit the Fargo area. It just doesnt seem like a city that is doing well. I know there have been many instances of people talking about Sioux Falls in here.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 4:58 AM

It's no problem, you can talk about whatever, I just didn't want it to turn into the smackfest between the Fargoans and the Winnepegers like in the other thread in the Canada section...

Man, everyone has been quiet lately. Must be the school break and Thanksgiving.....

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 9:22 PM
still here

Happy Thanksgiving! Happy Turkey Day! Whatever you call it, hope you have a good day!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 10:17 PM
still here

What did you guys think of this development that was proposed a couple of years ago. Did you want the Cityscapes Plaza downtown or were you apposed to it. I personally liked the architecture but I did not want a sports arena downtown.

This picture was from the Forum.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2006, 4:46 AM
Steel City USA

^ Thanks, FM hope you and everyone else had a great one as well. Im in Philadelphia right now at my brother's and my mom and dad came up from Dallas. The only thing is the weather sucks because we are having this coastal storm that is just sitting over the Mid Atlantic. If i were in Pittsburgh it would be nice and sunny.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2006, 6:47 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
In all fairness, I've heard that Pittsburg is a pretty ugly and crime ridden city. Definately not on my "American cities to visit" list.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2006, 5:28 PM
Steel City USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy
In all fairness, I've heard that Pittsburg is a pretty ugly and crime ridden city. Definately not on my "American cities to visit" list.
Well where did you get your information from? Have you ever even seen pictures of Pittsburgh? It is an amazing city that has made a huge comeback. Sounds like you dont even know anything about Pittsburgh or any other American city for that matter. Winnipeg just doesnt look attractive in the pictures i have seen, and i have heard some pretty negative things about it. You dont even know how to spell the city's name right. You add an H to it. If you dont even know that it shows your intelligence on Pittsburgh. Why dont you read up on Pittsburgh, you will be suprised. BTW, you will notice that Pittsburgh is really appreciated on this site. Now lets get back to what this thread is about, and that is Fargo.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2006, 6:41 PM
still here

Pittsburgh=schnazy city Winnipeg=schnazy city Fargo=lets talk about this instead of the other two.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2006, 7:47 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Well where did you get your information from? Have you ever even seen pictures of Pittsburgh? It is an amazing city that has made a huge comeback. Sounds like you dont even know anything about Pittsburgh or any other American city for that matter. Winnipeg just doesnt look attractive in the pictures i have seen, and i have heard some pretty negative things about it. You dont even know how to spell the city's name right. You add an H to it. If you dont even know that it shows your intelligence on Pittsburgh. Why dont you read up on Pittsburgh, you will be suprised. BTW, you will notice that Pittsburgh is really appreciated on this site. Now lets get back to what this thread is about, and that is Fargo.
Well, you picked up on my point. No, I have never been to your city, and you have probably never been to Winnipeg (my hometown). What is the lesson from this? Don't judge somewhere based on what you hear from secondhand sources. They often misreprent the facts. Winnipeg is a cool city, just like Pittsburgh is most likely. Looks like you are just as guilty of condemning from second hand sources like many other people. In terms of intelligence and reasoning, you have a lot of improving to do too, man.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 3:41 AM
still here

Well I'm in Sioux Falls right now and am having a good time. Well, just thought I should share that with you guys. Smiley Boy, where are you? Maybe on some Fargo retreat

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 5:07 PM
Steel City USA

Im not even going to waste my time with, Albertaboy.

So FM, were you in Sioux Falls for Thanksgiving? Glad to hear you are having a good time. I leave Philly today, and should be in Pittsburgh by this evening. Have a great Saturday everyone.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 6:13 PM
still here

I came down to Sioux Falls yesterday (Friday) to meet some of family. I was in Fargo for Thanksgiving. Not to dis Sioux Falls, honestly, I was in their downtown and there was like no one here. Wierd, I honestly hope they can get more people down there. There were not that many places for lease, so that's good but not very many people. I'm having a good time though. See yah.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 6:16 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Im not even going to waste my time with Albertaboy.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2006, 8:21 PM
Honored Member

Hey, I'm back. Been really busy and shit like that.

I'm in the Twin Cities for Thanksgiving. I went to Costco in St. Louis Park. Made me wish even more for a Costco to be built in Fargo. I mean, they have one in Kalispell, Montana (pop. of less than 20,000), but they can't build one in the F-M area, which has over 200,000 people??

It made me think about that open parcel of land on 45th between 15th and 17th Ave. South across from Scheels, and my wish that they could build a Costco there. How no one has yet done anything with that land is beyond me. It's the most prime real estate in probably all of the Dakotas, and it's WAAAAY overdue for development.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 11:01 PM

I can't see Costco being located right there....it's too close to Wal-Mart. Also, Costco skews toward higher income areas. That means a 52nd Avenue South location or an Osgood location would be more ideal for the demographic they aim for. With that said, Costco is also VERY secretive when it comes to where and when they build new locations. I wouldn't be surprised if they have something cooked up for F-M already and nobody knows about it yet.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
What did you guys think of this development that was proposed a couple of years ago. Did you want the Cityscapes Plaza downtown or were you apposed to it. I personally liked the architecture but I did not want a sports arena downtown.

This picture was from the Forum.
I was initially for the project, however, as time went on, several people convinced me why it wouldn't be good for downtown. However, I do think that the particular location where it is sitting is RIPE for redevelopment. Once the downtown fire department gets re-located with better facilities, someone just needs to come in a tear down the station and our favorite building downtown (that stupid movie theatre, or I mean church, or I mean some pointless other use for a building that should have never had been built.

But what would be the best use for that space? An office tower, a hotel, residential units? I'm actually going to go out on a limb here and propose that in the future, hopefully some wealthy NDSU alumnus or supporter of the University can buy the land and put a new, large, sturdy building there. It will add on to the University's footprint and continue their commit to downtown. Could you imagine the ENTIRE engineering program (EE, CE, ME, etc...) in a building, as large as that of UofM's, sitting on that downtown block. Might as well add the Computer Science department to that list too, since the classes tend to overlap quite a bit with EE. Now add tons of landscaping, and I think you'll end up with a pretty nice and BUSY downtown area. Then that paves the way to free up space for any newer departments that are bursting at the seams. Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing a Medical/BioMedical/NanoMedical/Hospital/etc... Complex rise up in the area that is now the engineering complex. That would be huge. At that point you'd have buses running to and from the university every 10 or even 5 minutes. Probably two/three at a time during class switching time.

If that was to happen, downtown Fargo would really start becoming pretty hip, since the affects of several thousand students every day would tend to rub off on many of the downtown business and property owners.

I wouldn't mind walking downtown and seeing a robot or something strolling along, as a normal thing, from the work that would go on in that building... Maybe even a mini-MIT? I SAID MINI !!!

One can imagine...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest