HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Im surprised the retail at Hilton Garden has had a tough time. Its a very popular area now.
I'm convinced that large REIT's are detrimental to the overall cityscape. For example, if the Hilton Garden Inn were responsible for leasing the space, they would be compelled to find tenants (better for the hotel guests, better for the community, better on all fronts). Instead, the leasing is outsourced to firms with large portfolios. HGI's storefronts are miniscule items on a massive ledger and lack any physical nature. IMO Phoenix should force local management of these storefronts or we will always see years of vacant commercial space - like this example.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 6:44 PM
Modulator

Cham Pang Lanes and Palma open today with Ghost Donkey opening this weekend

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...-roosevelt-row

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 8:41 PM
Skyriser

The owner of the HGI isn't that big, definitely not on publicly traded REIT size.

That area is popular now, but it's peak travel season and that's it. Two small local conventions for this month and next, dismal office submarket, etc. Stuff has to be back in force for something to take those spaces.

The whole dismal, semi-abandoned look of HGI with the covered windows and filthy stained limestone doesn't help prospective tenants either. The reviews of the rooms match the exterior--the place is probably suffering from disinvestment rather than overinvestment.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 10:41 PM

Sheraton Phoenix Downtown opens signature restaurant Carcara

New restaurant at Sheraton is finally opening...

https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/res...urant-carcara/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 3:06 PM

I happened to be walking through the Arizona Center yesterday and noticed Hooters had no activity. Upon closer inspection, signs were posted indicating that Hooters will no longer be operating at this location.

Apologies to those of you who love their wings, but this is probably the nudge you needed to find superior offerings at the nearby Angels Trumpet. For those who liked Hooters for other reasons , well...you can do better there too. In my opinion, Hooters simply failed to elevate their product.

With the construction of PalmTower, I'm sure better days are ahead for this dining spot. Any inside information on what's going on with the future of Arizona Center? [Will post in that thread also]

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 3:50 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
you needed to find superior offerings at the nearby Angels Trumpet
Them's fightin' words!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
I happened to be walking through the Arizona Center yesterday and noticed Hooters had no activity. Upon closer inspection, signs were posted indicating that Hooters will no longer be operating at this location.

Apologies to those of you who love their wings, but this is probably the nudge you needed to find superior offerings at the nearby Angels Trumpet. For those who liked Hooters for other reasons , well...you can do better there too. In my opinion, Hooters simply failed to elevate their product.

With the construction of PalmTower, I'm sure better days are ahead for this dining spot. Any inside information on what's going on with the future of Arizona Center? [Will post in that thread also]
Hooters has been a dying brand for 20 years.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 10:33 PM
Modulator

Another taco/tequila joint coming coming to Roosevelt Row. Federales Tacos and Tequilas will be taking over the vacant space/pocket park on the NE corner of 2nd St and Roosevelt next to Monorchid.

Plans call for 11,854 square ft restaurant with a retractable roof over the bar and an outdoor garden space. Federales Tacos and Tequilas currently has locations in Chicago, Dallas and Denver.

Only in design phase right now, but here's the site plan:

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 11:32 PM

Idk I kind of like the pocket park

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 12:53 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Idk I kind of like the pocket park
Yea, I'm kinda surprised. I actually thought True North was going to leave it for Knipe Village.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 7:43 PM
Modulator

Apparently, US Bank tower may be filling in what looks to be the old US Bank branch location with a cocktail lounge. Not much information on it though:

https://whatnowphoenix.com/rose-gard...enix%EF%BF%BC/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 8:07 PM

I wonder what will become of The Monroe's old space next door. Seems like a much better spot for a bar. The bank parcel will have to be gutted.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 9:12 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX06 View Post
I wonder what will become of The Monroe's old space next door. Seems like a much better spot for a bar. The bank parcel will have to be gutted.
I wasn't aware the Monroe had been closed. I could be wrong on the space. I was just going off the picture that was showing the old branch space.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 9:35 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4500...7i16384!8i8192

This image is from before the US Bank Tower renovation, but the bank parcel is on the corner. It sounds like that's what the article is referring to.

The Monroe's parcel is to the right with the patio. It has been closed for months, and they have only recently removed all their liquor from the bar. No "For Lease" signs are up yet, and their exterior signage is still in place.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 9:53 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX06 View Post
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4500...7i16384!8i8192

This image is from before the US Bank Tower renovation, but the bank parcel is on the corner. It sounds like that's what the article is referring to.

The Monroe's parcel is to the right with the patio. It has been closed for months, and they have only recently removed all their liquor from the bar. No "For Lease" signs are up yet, and their exterior signage is still in place.
Dug a little bit further and found it will indeed be in Suite 160 per the City of Phoenix issued liquor permits, which is the location of the former Monroe. Makes sense and less work for them to do.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 6:59 PM

re: monroes

Regarding the old Monroe Bar that closed (thank God). They have a sign posted for a new liquor license for a place called "Rose Garden Cocktail Lounge". Hopefully this place can maintain itself with respectable clientele.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 9:17 PM

Hooters was one of the few actual sports bars downtown. I know their wings aren't for everyone, but personally I like them.

That basically leaves Majerle's as the only sports bar, and their food is absolutely terrible. It's disappointing that there are so few options downtown to go and watch a game.

I suppose that Pedal Haus helps a little bit, they have lots of TVs, but still not a sports bar.

I have always contended that there needs to be a Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers near the arena. Their food isn't great either, but you know that you're getting cold beer and that the game will be on -- with audio.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Hooters was one of the few actual sports bars downtown. I know their wings aren't for everyone, but personally I like them.

That basically leaves Majerle's as the only sports bar, and their food is absolutely terrible. It's disappointing that there are so few options downtown to go and watch a game.

I suppose that Pedal Haus helps a little bit, they have lots of TVs, but still not a sports bar.

I have always contended that there needs to be a Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers near the arena. Their food isn't great either, but you know that you're getting cold beer and that the game will be on -- with audio.
You're forgetting about Crown Public House and also Kettle Black is great for the other "football" matches. The Ainsworth is also a cool place to watch Suns games.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
You're forgetting about Crown Public House and also Kettle Black is great for the other "football" matches. The Ainsworth is also a cool place to watch Suns games.
PhxFlyer is correct downtown is not a great place if you're looking for a sports bar to watch a game.

While I kinda like Majerele's for lunch, it's also not necessarily a great sports bar either for a game-watching standpoint. And frankly, Hooters wasn't great either because most women aren't going to be caught dead there. I've never been to Crown Public House; I've always thought of it as a place where Dodgers fans slam Dos Equis before the game. And while Kettle Black is a great pub, it's not where I'm going to watch a game.

I agree a CBCB would be great in the Hooters space. I agree Ainsworth is underrated. I took my kids to watch football and eat brunch and it was great.

I'm disappointed the place in Cityscape above Arrogant Butcher became the Bourbon Room because that's a great space for a sports bar and now it's a stuffy expensive restaurant that seems doomed from the start. I went at lunch the other day and it was EMPTY.

I'd like to see something that resembles a dive bar that is just bar food, flat screens and drinks at reasonable prices. I know the price per sqft doesn't really allow for that in a lot of the towers but maybe in a cheaper building.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post

There is The AINSWORTH now, and 810 Bowling is trying to be a sports bar

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest