HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 3:15 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
If the team of guys who are representing the conditional CFL Franchise could hook up with Melnyk im sure there could be a plan.
I don't think that will happen. The CFL dudes are working on their own separate proposal which should be made public in a couple of weeks.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 8:31 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I don't think that will happen. The CFL dudes are working on their own separate proposal which should be made public in a couple of weeks.
Would be nice if they would hurry up.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:59 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

More letters from today's Free Press:

It works well in Calgary

I would like to congratulate David Asper and the University of Manitoba for coming up with a terrific solution to Winnipeg's stadium debate. I have been to scores of games at Canad Inns Stadium and it's a structure in need of replacement. The solution of putting a new stadium at the U of M where it will be utilized many more days of the year than the current stadium is terrific.

Needless to say there appear to be naysayers and complainers before a shovel has hit the ground. Noise, traffic and bright lights are the complaints that have already come up. I can tell you from my experience of living about 500 metres from McMahon Stadium in Calgary that these concerns are ludicrous. From my backyard I could hear the Ozzy Osbourne concert in August, but that was over by 9 p.m. and was one brief day out of 365. Hearing the occasional roar from a football game or baseball game has not in anyway detracted from the neighbourhood. I daresay that the sound of cheering, happy people adds value to those who hear the noise that fans create.

Houses sell as soon as they get listed, as a neighbourhood within walking distance of Calgary's best sport facility area are sought after by many people. In addition to the football stadium, there is a baseball stadium, running track, two hockey rinks and an assortment of other baseball diamonds and playing fields. Within 1.5 kilometres of this rowdy football stadium with its bright lights are two major hospitals (Foothills and Alberta Children's), which have not been negatively impacted by 35,000 boisterous fans descending on the neighbourhood 10 days a year.

Asper should be applauded for finding a location for a new stadium that does not require any major infrastructure changes. The U of M should be applauded for finding a private sector funding source that will allow the construction of wonderful new sport facilities on campus.

CLAY PURVES
Calgary

Not in her backyard

Re: Stadium wrong for U of M, Sept. 17.

Where was letter writer Karen Rice's voice of opposition when the plan was to expropriate land and flat-out demolish the homes in Point Douglas? Oh, right -- not in her backyard. She should consider herself lucky that she is not being asked to leave.

Brendon Ehinger

Winnipeg

Stadium proposal right
Re: Stadium wrong for U of M; Consultation lacking, Sept. 17.

As a long-time University Heights resident and University of Manitoba alumnus, I feel that a different perspective on the proposed stadium needs to be heard. I believe this proposal is something Winnipeg needs more of: progressive, forward-thinking and dynamic ideas. This complex, with its two stadiums and exercise facility, is much needed at the U of M. It provides a golden opportunity to showcase the U of M and to attract amateur athletes to their sports programs. A state-of-the art exercise facility would also provide an attractive recruitment tool for faculty and prospective students as well as providing a benefit to the community at large.

This is not a quiet, pastoral community.Each day, more than 41,000 registered students, faculty and staff enter our community. The Manitoba Marathon attracts thousands of participants each year and provides us with a sense of excitement and the opportunity to cheer those who are participating. Rather than seeing these as a negative, let us embrace these opportunities. Amateur and professional sports can help build a sense of vibrancy in a community. Now is the time to jump on this dynamic opportunity. Let's stop being NIMBYs (Not in My Back Yard) and embrace wholeheartedly an incredible opportunity for our professional and amateur athletes, and our community at large.

Genevieve Thompson

Winnipeg

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 2:16 AM
Starring as himself

Are University Crescent and Chancellor Matheson Road really going to be adequate to unload 30,000 football fans immediately after a game? How are they going to handle the entire football crowd in thousands of cars trying to enter Pembina Highway on two signalized intersections? Are there plans to develop a new route into the university?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:08 AM

Ya new route... something about BRT line in 6 years. By that time the NIMBY's will be silenced or ignored and construction of the new stadium and new BRT line will be complete. Probably at around the same time give or take a season or two.

But if capacity is an issue maybe we should be building LRT to handle all of those fans, just a thought.

PS. No sarcasm directed at you personally, I'm just a little fed up with the situation of BRT and NIMBY's bashing the stadium.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:11 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Are University Crescent and Chancellor Matheson Road really going to be adequate to unload 30,000 football fans immediately after a game? How are they going to handle the entire football crowd in thousands of cars trying to enter Pembina Highway on two signalized intersections? Are there plans to develop a new route into the university?
what about polo... its constant gridlock around the stadium even with out a game going....

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:27 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
what about polo... its constant gridlock around the stadium even with out a game going....
yes but there are more roads leading in and out of polo and parking is more dispersed .

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 4:33 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

I see no problem with traffic. You can either take the perimeter hwy or take bishop.. might need to upgrade some roads a bit but I don't see any major problems.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 3:48 AM

Here is an interview with David Asper on the fan590 radio station. Asper is looking at a stadium with 30,000 permanent seats, expandable to 45,000.

ffwd to 30:30

http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetim...8_183138_23528

Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 8:06 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Here is an interview with David Asper on the fan590 radio station. Asper is looking at a stadium with 30,000 permanent seats, expandable to 45,000.

ffwd to 30:30

http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetim...8_183138_23528
They should have a higher fix seat rate and the additional should be higher enough for a minimum 50k.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 2:40 AM
Closed account

Screw the new stadium.

For a few games a year, not worth it.

Let him pay for the whole thing with his own money. Canwest stock has dropped 90% in value in the past 18 months. Maybe the well is dry.

He wants the free Polo Park land.

They want tons free.

No dice.

We need better roads. Period.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 12:44 PM
the first stamp is free

^ did you and brodbeck have the same english teacher?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 2:50 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if we are going to get better roads don't forget the sidewalks plzz

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 2:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
if we are going to get better roads don't forget the sidewalks plzz
Would you like a wowwypop?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 3:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hahaha lol no seaial the sidewalks are in ruff shap in alot of areas...

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 9:05 PM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus41 View Post
Would you like a wowwypop?
Hey, you know what? You're gay.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 2:31 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
Screw the new stadium.

For a few games a year, not worth it.

Let him pay for the whole thing with his own money. Canwest stock has dropped 90% in value in the past 18 months. Maybe the well is dry.

He wants the free Polo Park land.

They want tons free.

No dice.

We need better roads. Period.

Tom Brodbeck .. is that you???

Anyways CanWest Global has nothing to do with proposal.

... but since you are interested ... Look for the Aspers to take CanWest private. It would have probibly would have been private already except for the credit crisis, which is slowing down the underwriting process of almost all large buyouts.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 1:04 PM

from freepressonstrike.com

Goodbye election, hello stadium
Oct 15, 2008
By JOE PARASKEVAS
Talks could begin soon on a proposed new football stadium for the city, now that the federal election campaign is over, Mayor Sam Katz said Wednesday.
In fact, meetings between proponents of the stadium and members of Parliament could already be underway, Katz suggested.
“I’d be very surprised if they’re not,” he told reporters after the weekly meeting of executive policy committee at city hall.
Winnipeg businessman David Asper revealed the stadium proposal last month. The project was slated for the University of Manitoba campus.
Katz also praised the Manitoba MP who scored perhaps the highest profile upset in Tuesday’s election.
Conservative Shelly Glover, a Winnipeg police patrol sergeant in the city’s North End defeated Liberal incumbent Raymond Simard in the riding of St. Boniface.
Glover — like Katz a supporter of tougher crime legislation — stood to contribute significantly to policy work on the issue in Ottawa, the mayor said.
“Shelly Glover is a quality human being,” Katz said. “She has phenomenal experience when it comes to crime and safety and victims’ rights. And I think she will be a very strong voice discussing that. She won’t be taking a back seat to anybody because I think there are very few people who know more than her on that subject.”

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 4:36 PM
BANNED

I'm sure the the new Bomber Stadium will be the first thing the newly minted Harper govt. will have on their agenda!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 8:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I'm sure the the new Bomber Stadium will be the first thing the newly minted Harper govt. will have on their agenda!
who knows what will happen

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan