HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 1:32 AM

These are great. They look a lot like Scandinavian design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Wow. Not sure how this is animated. It's a .gif file.

Here are more renderings.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 4:11 PM

http://www.standard.net/Government/2...ng-garage.html

Basically, there are wanting to build a new parking structure. The portion where they mention the Kiesel Building being converted to luxury apartments - that project will be done by Lotus Development that did the Lotus Apartments on South Temple.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 2:58 PM

It would be cool if more stuff starts happening in Ogden.

Here is a picture of the Keisel Building

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 5:46 PM
Transit Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
It would be cool if more stuff starts happening in Ogden.

Here is a picture of the Keisel Building

I love that building. Ogden is by far my favorite Utah city even though I live in SLC. I like the raw vibe, the outdoor branding and the sense of community with stuff going on on 25th every weekend. Gritty rustbelt type town for sure and I love that.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 8:54 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

What a great re-use of the Kiesel building.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 5:09 PM

Church now saying 700,000 will come for Ogden Temple opening

http://www.standard.net/Local/2014/0...o-prepare.html

OGDEN — Historic? Game-changing? The biggest thing to happen to Ogden in our lifetimes? As hyperbolic as those words may sound, it’s what Ogden City officials are saying about next month’s Ogden temple reopening.

It’s not quite the eleventh hour yet, but the city is still knee-deep in preparation for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ five-week open house for the newly renovated Ogden temple. The open house will run from Aug. 1 through Sept. 6, and the temple will be open for visitors each day of the week except Sunday.

During a city council work session last week, Ogden Chief Administrative Officer Mark Johnson told the council that the LDS church is saying as many as 700,000 visitors may come to town during the five-week open house period. That number is up a considerable amount from the initial church estimates of 500,000.

"Basically, it’s going to be the equivalent of holding 32 Ogden Marathons in 37 days,“ said former Powder Mountain CEO Gregg Greer, who is helping the city form a massive volunteer effort called ”One Ogden“ that will run throughout the open house....

(click the link above for the rest of the story)

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 5:47 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 6:15 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Whether you are LDS or not, this is a HUGE improvement for downtown Ogden. From the old space ship style temple and the mall parking garage to the new temple and The Junction.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 7:07 PM
Bring out the cranes...

4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 7:25 PM
Transit Advocate

A temple/movie theater in very close proximity to a lifestyle center/movie theater. Truly historic. Of course the former is showing the highest grossing movie of all time on multiple screens.

The Junction and ditching the parking garage is a huge step forward, Ogden Temple and tabernacle v 2.0 not so much. I know it just seems like sour grapes and maybe there is a bit of that but the building just outclasses and out scales everything around it, the same way it does in Brigham City. You have gritty downtown Ogden and surrounding streets of poverty and and then right in the middle is some Disneylandesque castle compound. Yeah, any city getting a multi-million dollar structure is good news short term and will provide some positive momentum but I don't know that temple goers are going to be frequenting any of the businesses on 25th street after their 2+ hour movie.

Ogden is my favorite Utah city but a shiny new building used by a fraction of the population just isn't "historic". Ogden has had a temple presence for 40 years and trickle down to the surrounding area hasn't materialized.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 7:44 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
You have gritty downtown Ogden and surrounding streets of poverty and and then right in the middle is some Disneylandesque castle compound. Yeah, any city getting a multi-million dollar structure is good news short term and will provide some positive momentum but I don't know that temple goers are going to be frequenting any of the businesses on 25th street after their 2+ hour movie.

Ogden is my favorite Utah city but a shiny new building used by a fraction of the population just isn't "historic". Ogden has had a temple presence for 40 years and trickle down to the surrounding area hasn't materialized.
Holy shit you are a buzz kill.

I'm sure a fraction of the population only uses all the tall shiny "disneylandeque" skyscrapers in downtown SLC. Guess what? A fraction of everyone uses most buildings in a city. Cities provide something for everyone. There are lots of Mormons in Ogden and in North Davis County. This is the LDS Church in Ogden providing something for them and they'll walk around the area and add some vibrancy and maybe drop some dollars. And why are you bitching about historic? It's a temple and mall complex from the 70's. It was an ugly and unwalkable urban development made into a decent thing to look at.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Jul 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 9:44 PM
Transit Advocate

I'm not bitching about "historic" I was glad to see the Ogden mall go, I like the Solomon Center, I like the growth that Ogden is experiencing. the outdoor company branding, the trail investments the cultural activities make it a great place. I go to Ogden for activities probably more than most people. At least a dozen times a year. I love Ogden.

My complaint is that the building is out of scale, built like a compound and does not blend in very well with the surrounding area. I disagree that the temple is a great catalyst or "historic". Not that the mothership version on the site previously was any better although the mothership was far less conspicuous and ostentatious simple because the size and finishing materials were far more muted. Now its significantly taller, larger and front and center to the mall.

Last edited by brankrom; Jul 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post

Apparently, not all temples are inspired, if any at all.

Apologist response: "Oh, the original was just a place holder."

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 5:03 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

The Junction is just as out of scale in comparison to the old mall as the new temple is compared to the old temple. They are both taller, both newer, both shinier, both prettier. SO WHAT!

The new temple can accommodate more people than the old one, and even if only a small percentage of them venture over to The Junction to eat after they attend the temple, a small percentage of a larger number is a larger number. Some of 25th Street may not be the what temple patrons are looking for, but some may choose to venture over there, maybe they've heard about a restaurant that they would like to try. More customers to restaurants and other retail in The Junction or on 25th Street, is more customers.

Yes the temple is larger and taller, but it still adds some attractiveness to downtown Ogden. I don't buy the "it doesn't fit in with the grit that makes Ogden unique", argument, because neither does the Junction. It's blending the new with the old. Ogden will continue to keep it's grit, because 25th Street is thriving, and so many old warehouses have been reused by the Outdoor industry companies. The grit attracts a certain type of Urbanite, but so does the shiny. A true downtown has a variety of residents and visitors, so I don't see the problem with the shiny and the grit co-existing.

Last edited by Future Mayor; Jul 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 6:53 PM
Transit Advocate

I don't think the modern temple designs are "prettier" but YMMV. The church has been building branded bland utilitarian buildings like the cookie cutter McChurches dotting suburbia for 20 years now and it appears the standardized "approved pattern" floor plans and elevations for the new temples continues that trend. I visited Twin Falls over the weekend and the same thing exists there, huge, white, bright temple dominating the rim of the gorge surrounded by Suburban Reserve subdivision developments. I view these temple compounds in much the same way I view a Walmart super center. Large out of scale and a monument to conspicuous consumption or conspicuous power.

Bottom line I'm not a fan, I don't like the finishing materials, I don't like the scale, I don't like the conspicuousness, I don't like the compound like nature. Property Reserve or Temple Reserve or whatever other corporate entity is not above criticism. Sheesh.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 10:06 PM

Everything about this magnificent structure resonates a reverence for craftsmanship, elegance, quality, and timeless design. There are a number of smaller LDS Temples, which are lovely, but definitely serve more of a utilitarian purpose. Ogden is a grand old railroad town with many of the Mountain Wests great architectural treasures. From a purely secular perspective of a designer, it's about time that Ogden erected another grand building of great beauty. BRAVO to the people of Weber County and the city of Ogden! Your great city deserves another stunning structure added to it's impressive portfolio. I hope this will be only the continuation of many impressive developments to come.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com...by Steven M. Reyes

The patina beauty, quality and detail of this stone and masonry execution cannot be overstated.

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com...by Bryson McFarlane

Last edited by delts145; Jul 21, 2014 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 6:08 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Agreed, delts. Ogden has this unusually big context for these kinds of landmark craftsman structures that shine through the grit. All the Art Deco and even down to the gold and silver leaf painted high school auditorium. Ogden loves itself some flair.

What's more, Ogden approached the LDS Church and asked for this temple improvement. The Odgen community wanted this change. People will choose to get married in that temple again; it's nice.

Also, on a silly note, Provo is apparently proud to have the last temple of its kind and doesn't want to change it; this seems appropriate for Provo...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
I don't think the modern temple designs are "prettier" but YMMV. The church has been building branded bland utilitarian buildings like the cookie cutter McChurches dotting suburbia for 20 years now and it appears the standardized "approved pattern" floor plans and elevations for the new temples continues that trend. I visited Twin Falls over the weekend and the same thing exists there, huge, white, bright temple dominating the rim of the gorge surrounded by Suburban Reserve subdivision developments. I view these temple compounds in much the same way I view a Walmart super center. Large out of scale and a monument to conspicuous consumption or conspicuous power.

Bottom line I'm not a fan, I don't like the finishing materials, I don't like the scale, I don't like the conspicuousness, I don't like the compound like nature. Property Reserve or Temple Reserve or whatever other corporate entity is not above criticism. Sheesh.
I completely see where you're coming from, and I agree that churches in the last twenty, thirty years have become depressingly identical. (Even LDS churches from as late as the '60s are much more unique and thoughtfully designed.) However, the most recent of temples in the vicinity (in Draper, Daybreak, Payson, Ogden) do look distinct from one another. As distinct as I'd like? No. The temple in Ogden won't be a draw like the great European cathedrals or the temple in Salt Lake. But it'll still be a fine landmark for Ogden.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 11:23 PM

Ogden rebuilding Grant for pedestrians and bikes

Ogden rebuilding Grant for pedestrians and bikes

OGDEN — By next month, Grant Avenue will never be the same — and city officials say if everything goes as planned, Ogden won’t be either.

The city is rebuilding Grant Avenue between 20th and 22nd streets, but the word “rebuild” might be an understatement. A complete shift in the look, design and the way people travel on it is probably more accurate.

"It’s not going to be the same street,“ said Ogden City Engineer Justin Anderson. ”It’s going to be something people have never seen before in Ogden.“

The road is still under heavy construction, but the vision of what it will ultimately look like is already starting to take shape.

The road will essentially be cut into three pieces, with massive bike lanes on each side of the main vehicular corridor. The bike lanes are so large, they almost look like full streets themselves and they are separated from the road by large islands that feature large trees, flowers and other vegetation. Sidewalks in the area will also be improved.

The new road will feature decorative intersections, new street lights, a new traffic signalization system and the speed limit will be lowered to 20 mph. There will be no on-street parking on the road, but there will be a few loading and unloading zones meant for quick stops.

"If you are in a hurry to get somewhere, this is not the road to take,“ Anderson said. ”You’ve got Washington, Wall, or Lincoln for that. This is meant to be a slower road and it’s specifically designed to be a little uncomfortable for motorists. If you’re driving on this road, it’s because you want to go on a drive that’s different from everywhere else.“

Anderson said the city has been planning the project for a while now, but it was nudged forward by the reopening of the Ogden LDS Temple.

The city expects 750,000 people to travel to Ogden during the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints open house period for the temple, which runs from Aug. 1 through Sept. 6. City officials say the massive gathering represents a once in a lifetime chance to showcase and promote the city.

”The city has wanted to do something like this for a while,“ Anderson said. ”But with the temple opening, it kind of got accelerated because the city leaders recognized what kind of draw it would be. (The redesign) is going to be something that will help sell Ogden.“

Anderson said with work going on with the temple has actually kept the project somewhat of a secret.

"I think people have just assumed it’s something the LDS church is working on,” he said. “So that combined with the construction going on all around it has kind of kept it out of public view. But I think people will like what we’ve done when it’s finished.”

The city wants to eventually complete the same type of design on Grant from the Ogden River all the way to 25th Street.

"We want to have a true connection from the River Parkway, all the way to the downtown area,” Anderson said.

But the timetable for the rest of the project is still up in the air.

“The timeline for the rest of it depends on when money becomes available,” Anderson said.

And at $1.3 million per block, the project isn’t cheap, but then again it’s not supposed to be, Anderson said.

"This is a major reinvestment in Ogden City,“ he said. ”This is something that’s going to be here and help Ogden thrive for the next 100 years, and probably longer than that.“

City Council Chairman Richard Hyer and city Chief Administrative Officer Mark Johnson said hopes are high for what the road will mean in Ogden.

"We think it’s going to be a signature street,” Johnson said. “Something that will be looked at as an icon.”

Anderson said the road represents the beginning of a paradigm shift in the city.

“We can’t just keep building roads and expanding lanes,” he said. “The vehicle can’t be the only thing we use to get around anymore. As a society we’ve got to change our mindset and realize we might not be able to pull right up to the front door in our cars.”

Old Posted Jul 13, 2014, 11:53 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

That's just awesome!

I'm gonna take my bike on FrontRunner and give it a try when it's done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West