HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:14 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
I love it!!! The Convention hotel is the monstrosity as one big wall. I like this Sundial structure a lot. I like that it’s not blue glass. I like that it reminds me of the Eagle Gate/world trade center Utah tower but of the 2020s. Build it!
That's literally my favorite building going up in downtown right now.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:17 PM
They all float down here

Na. It's a great, unique addition to the skyline. I'd much rather go bold and risky over once again settling on a box. Salt Lake has such a bland and uniform skyline. Shake it up. Boring is ugly. The most recent towers are ugly as sin because they're just so plain. I'm all for architecture that stands out.

Salt Lake already has a reputation of being so conservative and boring that nothing interesting ever happens. It's about time our skyline move away from that and start reflecting the more bold, progressive nature of the city.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:24 PM

222 S Main

Fun fact, 222 is actually 21 stories, not 22. There is no 13th floor, so the 22nd floor is really the 21st.

Also, I've never understood why the American Towers are listed as being taller than 222 S Main. Widipedia shows them at 324 ft and 222 at 315 ft. I used to work on the 17th (16th) floor of 222 and even from there I easily tell that 222 was taller. And I don't think it's an issue of elevation, standing on the 17th floor it's obvious that 222 is significantly taller.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 4:46 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
There is a crew on site at Astra apparently working on the billboards this morning. Looks like they are taking them down.
Confirmed with the webcam:

95 State's crown structure seems to be nearly finished, and Liberty Sky is working on its top floor. Work is progressing on 255 S State too!

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 5:03 PM
One Thing At A Time

Even if Astra never gets built one less billboard in this city is a huge victory.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
I actually really like it. My immediate first impression was very positive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Na. It's a great, unique addition to the skyline. I'd much rather go bold and risky over once again settling on a box. Salt Lake has such a bland and uniform skyline. Shake it up. Boring is ugly. The most recent towers are ugly as sin because they're just so plain. I'm all for architecture that stands out.

Salt Lake already has a reputation of being so conservative and boring that nothing interesting ever happens. It's about time our skyline move away from that and start reflecting the more bold, progressive nature of the city.
I'll accept that I'm in the minority on this one, and that's fine. Architecture is subjective.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 7:41 PM

Does anyone know the exact height of the new CCH?I have heard both 375' and 335'. Which is the correct height?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 7:46 PM

Salt Lake City Tower Projects

I updated the tower collage to include the Sundial Tower.

Includes: 95 State, Hyatt Regency, Liberty Sky, Astra Tower, 370 South West Temple, Worthington Tower, Main Street Apartments, Sundial Tower, West Quarter Phase II, Regent Street Hotel, and The Cascade.

Full Images

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I'll accept that I'm in the minority on this one, and that's fine. Architecture is subjective.
I hate the Sundial too, I'm just more lurky about it.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 8:09 PM
Space Magi

Loving the graphics, Blah. We have a lot to be excited about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Does anyone know the exact height of the new CCH?I have heard both 375' and 335'. Which is the correct height?
The drawings all say 335 ft.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 8:38 PM

I’m on the fence, but kind of okay with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I think it is cool that we’re getting a different design. I do get the concerns, however, and agree that if it were two buildings and not one it’d be a lot better. Also, are we sure the street engagement is all that great?

That being said, I think the wallish design would look better if there wasn’t that huge empty lot across the street and if the south temple building was there. Right now it just sticks out. I guess I’m not too opposed to the walls. Some here hate the Grand America for being a wall and I think it’s great looking, and I think the CCH will be phenomenal.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Woah. Where did you find that?

It's definitely different than anything in the city right now. A little bit... uh... girthier than I expected.
Cool. When are they going to render the top half?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:11 PM

Convention Center Hotel

I agree , in my opinion that the CCH is a really nice design and will be one of the most outstanding buildings downtown.

I love that is is not just another square box, I love the curvature of the tower.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Okay Comrade and allh, still like your apples?

We need to protest this. Seriously, this is awful. The city needs to crack down on their land use code to not allow this crap. I want to get a petition going to get the city to require the developer and architect to slim this south facade.

Hey Orlando, thanks for the visual... I noticed you put a 7 story dark grey box on the vacant corner by the new DA office and the proposed sundial building. If you had to “guess”, would that be a good place holder for what might be expected there?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Hey Orlando, thanks for the visual... I noticed you put a 7 story dark grey box on the vacant corner by the new DA office and the proposed sundial building. If you had to “guess”, would that be a good place holder for what might be expected there?
Sneaky question, but no, that is not the correct massing of the corner lot building. Like I said, it will be a nice addition. If you want to snoop around, you can check out the records of who won the rfp for that lot.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 12:08 AM

I’ll have to work on that. If any other forum members are smarter then me and find it first. Please share.

Thanks for heads up

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
This was originally proposed in 2008 and got serious momentum, however, when the economy collapsed and the US plunged into recession, it pretty much died and there's been no indication that the University is interested in reviving it.
I figured it had been abandoned since I couldn't find much about it. Still interesting to see they went that direction at one point and I hope it's still on the table for the (probably distant) future. It would be awesome to see mixed-use development there, especially if that 10-story timber building gets built down the street.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 3:52 AM

With the lot shaped the way it is, what else could you expect? To a large extent, the shape of the plot dictates what the design will look like. Square lots get square buildings, rectangular lots get rectangular buildings (111 and 95 S as prime examples).

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 4:23 AM

Unfortunately, SLC has not yet been sophisticated enough to deal with massing width limits on its large blocks. And, unfortunately, the developer prioritized maxing out its site limits without regard to aesthetics of good proportions of a building. I'm assuming that the architect did those chamfers, etc to dissipate the effect of this very boxy and wide building.

Don't be fooled by that angle of the rendered view or by the rendering itself. That is shown that way to negate its worst side of the building.

In Seattle, the city requires to go through early design guidance to discuss basic massing and proportions prior to further refinement and articulation. This kind of massing would have had a chance to be reviewed by the city and public before this stage of design. I hope the city and/ or public will have an opportunity to get the developer to slim that building down.

I'm going to check with the city on this and if they are concerned about this.

I like the work of Pickard Chilton, but this is awful.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 3:44 PM

I don't see a problem with the Sundial tower. I don't understand why a wide building is a problem. Especially because this building isn't taking up street frontage. it is oriented the other direction. Given the large blocks that we have I would expect more projects to look like this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West