HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Those Saskatoon photos make me think it would be a fun place to spend a weekend, if it wasn't so far away...

And the Quebec City shots make it look like such a substantial city. Haven't been in two years. Overdue for a visit.
I live here since 2011 and I've always thought Quebec City punches over it weight in several ways.

It also remind me of a place that might have become a much larger metropolis than what it actually is.

It has deep roots and strong bones. The numbers are not there, but it does feels like a metropolis.

There are other places like that in Canada. Halifax, St John, just to name a few.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
This photo is dreamy. I love the mistiness. And I don't know how often the St. Lawrence River is so calm, but I've yet to see it so with my own eyes the times I've been on its shores. (it's been nearly 5 years since I visited QC and almost 3 since my last stay in Montreal; I'm long overdue for both places, too)
I like this shot too!

The river is rarely that calm. There are strong currents & tides.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 11:02 PM

This one from last week. I had to wait a while for the right lighting and cloud conditions.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 12:46 AM

That is a nicely composed shot with different layers, plus colourful! Nice shot Doady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
A ''one of a kind'' city?
I was going to say unique, but all cities are unique right? So I think it’s unexpected in that it’s not the typical or normal city topography, or layout or what one would expect. In large part that is due to the plateau and then resulting beautiful low lying lands along the water with some of those lush fields further away from the core. I think having a more 3D city where you can’t ’see around’ every corner makes for interesting surprises versus a typical flat grid layout which is efficient, practical and the case for most larger cities.

I think St. John’s is similar in this way. Also, while the hills and plateaus don’t appear big they are still significant especially when the city is built on and around them. The contrast is quite dramatic and picturesque even more so than say Vancouver’s downtown which quite a distance (walking at least) from changes in topography. Now if downtown Vancouver was built on the mountain slopes of North or West Vancouver then that would be a different story.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
That is a nicely composed shot with different layers, plus colourful! Nice shot Doady.

I was going to say unique, but all cities are unique right? So I think it’s unexpected in that it’s not the typical or normal city topography, or layout or what one would expect. In large part that is due to the plateau and then resulting beautiful low lying lands along the water with some of those lush fields further away from the core. I think having a more 3D city where you can’t ’see around’ every corner makes for interesting surprises versus a typical flat grid layout which is efficient, practical and the case for most larger cities.

I think St. John’s is similar in this way. Also, while the hills and plateaus don’t appear big they are still significant especially when the city is built on and around them. The contrast is quite dramatic and picturesque even more so than say Vancouver’s downtown which quite a distance (walking at least) from changes in topography. Now if downtown Vancouver was built on the mountain slopes of North or West Vancouver then that would be a different story.

Very good points there.

The upper town is only 100 meters above sea level, but what a difference it makes! I agree with St. John's. Can we tell the same for Halifax aswell?

Last edited by FrAnKs; Jul 16, 2024 at 1:24 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 1:20 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
This one from last week. I had to wait a while for the right lighting and cloud conditions.

Beautiful shot, where was this taken? (seems like Centennial Park, or more north of that)

I can see my local Loblaws from here.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Very good points there.

The upper town is only 100 meters above sea level, but what a difference it makes! I agree with St. John's. Can we tell the same for Halifax aswell?

Good question - while beautiful in its own right I don’t think Halifax’s setting is as dramatic, in part because the Citadel is only 72 m in elevation and of course it doesn’t have the height of buildings on top that Quebec has. Also the harbour is wide open and not constrained and cozy as you’ll find in St. John’s. It feels more like a flat coastal city even though it does have plenty of steep hills.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Good question - while beautiful in its own right I don’t think Halifax’s setting is as dramatic, in part because the Citadel is only 72 m in elevation and of course it doesn’t have the height of buildings on top that Quebec has. Also the harbour is wide open and not constrained and cozy as you’ll find in St. John’s. It feels more like a flat coastal city even though it does have plenty of steep hills.
I'm heading that way next month (Halifax). I'll make sure to check that out!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 2:23 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Halifax's setting is scenic, but I wouldn't call it dramatic. At least the parts near downtown. I actually find the Northwest Arm is a more dramatic-looking part of the harbour than the main part since it's narrower and the sides are steeper.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 5:02 AM

Make sure to bring your camera and get some fresh Halifax summer shots for us FrAnKs!

After some Toronto and Vancouver pics back to my Victoria ones - a bit of catching up to do, all the way back to May!

The cooler May weather kept the grass greener longer this year, normally by mid-May it’s starting to go dry.

Hampton Court, 159 Cook Street, built 1913. May 27, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

An Oilers flag in Victoria:

135 Linden Avenue, Victoria - May 27, 2024. Built 1913. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

305 Linden Ave, Victoria. May 27, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

30 Linden Avenue, Victoria. Built 1929. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Ross Bay - Victoria. May 30, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Off leash dog path, Dallas Road, Victoria. May 30, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

960 Joan Crescent, Victoria - Tudor Revival home built in 1932 for Archibald MacDonald Duff Fairbairn by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

1926 Crescent Road , built 1912 (Tudor home) and 1912 Crescent Road. Photo - June 5, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Bastion Square - June 7, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Belmont Building - June 7, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Vernon Block - built 1899, architect Thomas Hooper. Photo - June 7 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

The Pearl Residences - June 7, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Under the Johnson Street Bridge, Victoria. June 7, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

500 Block Johnson Street - June 7, 2024. 8:29 p.m. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

537 Johnson Street - built 1887. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

1761 Rockland Avenue - June 11, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

132 South Turner St - built 1890. June 19, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Saxe Point, Esquimalt by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Just completed rental infill - tiny lot, but they made it work, maybe not so ideal for the neighbouring building views, lol. The city really should have allowed this to be 50% higher to break up the height monotony.

1088 Johnson Street - “Urban Edge Heights B” - June 20, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

1000 Block Johnson Street - June 20, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

I love how this home looks incredibly small as you walk from this approach yet changes and you go by it:

1095 Moss Street - built 1944 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

1095 Moss Street - built 1944 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Another curious home influenced by the adobe homes of Southern California, and perhaps not coincidentally on a street named Hollywood Crescent.

1603 Hollywood Crescent - built 1913 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Yet another, research says it’s Story Book style which was short lived during the 1920’s and a reflection of the whimsical make believe world of Hollywood during the motion picture boom.

2390 San Carlos Place - built 1927. Photo -July 3, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

How about some art deco now - although a 1986 renovation drew protests from the Canadian Art Deco society for changing the stucco from smooth to textured.

900 Park Boulevard, Tweedsmuir Mansions - built 1936. Photo - June 24, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Maria Custom Drapes - 725 Quadra Street, built 1950. Photo - June 24, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Central Middle School - June 22, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

1501 Fort Street - built 1885. Photo June 22, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Humboldt House, built 1893. Photo - June 24 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

St. Ann’s Academy - June 24, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Telus Ocean Construction - June 24, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

1080 Moss Street - built 1941. June 29, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

1016 Craigdarroch Road - built 1939. June 30, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Dallas Road along Ross Bay - June 30, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Ross Bay - July 6, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Ross Bay - July 6, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Willows Beach - July 3, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

2720 Somass Drive - built 1931. Photo - July 3, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Prior Castle Inn - 620 St Charles, built 1911. Photo - July 7, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

July 1, 2024 - Victoria Inner Harbour by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

BC Parliament Buildings - July 8, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Douglas at Fort Street -July 8, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 3:19 PM

Outstanding, zoomer. Victoria is gorgeous.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 5:11 PM

Outstanding pictures Zoomer!

And of course, I’ll not miss a chance to take some pictures of Halifax while I’m there : )

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 6:26 PM

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 6:39 PM

By the way Zoomer, I was looking again at your pictures and you captured so many beautiful houses that it was hard to pick a favourite…but I think I have a crush on both Humboldt house and 132 south Turner St !!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 8:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Halifax's setting is scenic, but I wouldn't call it dramatic. At least the parts near downtown. I actually find the Northwest Arm is a more dramatic-looking part of the harbour than the main part since it's narrower and the sides are steeper.
I don't think it's that dramatic either but the mainland hills go up to 150 m. There's also something to the larger harbour, basin, and environs that is difficult to capture in a single photo. Drives like the Bedford Highway or 102 are pretty scenic. When you approach Halifax by highway on the Halifax side you come down that larger hill and at times you get panoramic Atlantic views. The harbour bridges are nice too.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 2:07 AM

As always, thanks Echoes and FrAnKs

Not surprised that the one below was one of your favourites FrAnKs - if you look very closely at the far right of the picture just past the edge of that massive hedge you’ll see a tiny bit of the red roof of St. Ann’s Academy, another building you noted before. Clearly this your type of neighbourhood!

Humboldt House, built 1893. Photo - June 24 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

St. Ann’s Academy - April 12, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

And that house is to the right of this picture at the street front once you get past the orchard in this view.

840 Humboldt Street - St Joseph's Hospital (now Apartments) - May 1, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Last edited by zoomer; Jul 17, 2024 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 3:03 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Those Saskatoon photos make me think it would be a fun place to spend a weekend, if it wasn't so far away...

Second that. I wouldn't exactly make a trip specifically to Saskatoon, but if I were to ever do another cross-country road trip I'd definitely take the northern route through Saskatchewan and make a stop there - it definitely looks appealing.

Awesome Victoria pics as always, as well. A nice pair of small cities between the two of them.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 10:15 PM
le Gibraltar d'Amérique

Those are pictures I have found on Flickr recently (from one user I follow).

Québec, neighbourhood of Saint-Jean-Baptiste, with Saint-Roch / Saint-Sauveur / Limoilou in the distant background, as seen from the Observatoire de la Capitale.

Observatoire de la Capitale by Marcanadian, sur Flickr

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 11:03 PM
Ham-burgher

Victoria is beautiful. It's moved up on my "to do" list in terms of travel within Canada, though it was always on that list.

And while I've walked around within the walls of Quebec City, I definitely need to walk around outside them next time I visit.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Victoria is beautiful. It's moved up on my "to do" list in terms of travel within Canada, though it was always on that list.

And while I've walked around within the walls of Quebec City, I definitely need to walk around outside them next time I visit.
I would not say that the old town is overrated because it truly is amazing, but Quebec City is so much more than this. There are, per exemple, kilometers of pre-war neighborhoods around the old city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada