HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 5:02 AM

I take it the second phase of SoNo is to occupy the space adjacent to the parking podium?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Right, because I was obviously referring to a historic five story brick building when I wrote: "The branded big box retail architecture propagating along North has turned those few blocks into a suburbanized shitbox."
My point is, putting it in more explicit terms, I have "been to this area" and in fact am there frequently, and I have in fact gotten out of my car and looked at the building being demo'd (2 weeks ago, actually), and then merely wrote here that it "doesn't appear to be a building worth saving".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Guh? Half the properties along North between Kingsbury and Clybourn are already surface lots-- for Best Buy, the Container Store, that little strip mall with the CB2. That fact alone nullifies your arguments, unless you honestly believe those retailers are going to give up their parking anytime in the foreseeable future.
It doesn't nullify my arguments because you are talking about the area north of North Ave (which in this context is a no-No).

North Ave acts as a natural boundary (being a traffic-choked four lanes with narrow sidewalks) west of Clybourn, while the commercial neighborhoods north and south of it (between the river and Clybourn/Halsted) don't have major arteries going through them, so one can consider there to be 1 contiguous commercial neighborhood on each side of North Ave.

I consider the neighborhood south of North to have quite a different character than no-No. First, its developable commercial area is much larger. Then, it is only a one-artery (Halsted or Clybourn) crossing to the Red Line station, Apple Store, and the entire New City complex - in fact because Halsted and Clybourn are less ped-hostile than North Ave, those destinations could end up being thought of as part of the neighborhood, especially New City. Then, you have lots of river frontage available to be redeveloped (river frontage in no-No is partially stifled already and partially thwarted by Kingsbury being semi-industrial and big-box loading docks). Then, you already have about 5 relatively well-done and recent multi-story / mid-rise developments (a. North/Sheffield; b. the Grossinger auto complex; c. the British School building with its retail + offices + parking; d. the mega Whole Foods; and of course e. SoNo phase I, essentially a full-fledged high-rise here). Finally, you have a huge number of abandoned lots and other dilapidated or economically sacificeable single-story or low structures, all waiting and ready to please.

So, with a huge contiguous, walkable area; initial critical masses of rail transit, residential, entertainment, commercial, and shopping; and a well-demonstrated interest in building muti-story, I do think the area is destined to be built up in the mid-term and onwards with new uses like those. Anything that tears down the dilapidated stuff and brings more people and dollars to the area, even in cars, to me is a step in the right direction.

Obviously success here is dependent on thoughtful planning (layouts, architecture, etc.). But the no-no of no-No is that during the 1980s (or whenever it was), planning was enslaved to car-friendliness. Decades later, the city has turned the corner on concealing parking, incorporating greenery, designing streetscapes and building facades, and so on, and so so-No can be expected to turn out better than no-No.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 6:27 PM

At 8500 S. Lafayette, a joint development with a church:
http://www.southsidehousing.com/sshd...ads/Aerial.jpg

Interesting looking sanctuary structure, much better than the standard Mokena-distribution-facility church design employed elsewhere such as at the House of Hope:
http://www.legacyprojectchicago.com/.../Sanctuary.jpg

The retail:
http://www.legacyprojectchicago.com/images/Retail.jpg

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 8:01 PM
The City

^ A suburban development next to yet another L stop.

Yay.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 3:48 AM

New non-suburbanesque churches are hard to come by these days. Yes, yes I know, poor excuse.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 4:04 PM

Landmarks news:

The Landmarks committee today is voting on whether to grant landmark status to:

Richard Nickel Studio, 1810 W. Cortland
Lindblom High School, 6130 S. Wolcott
Union Park Hotel (more recently known as the Viceroy SRO), 1519 W. Warren

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 4:19 PM

Deferred from the Zoning Committee agenda, but presumably in the works:

1441-1511 S. Blue Island, 1200-1233 W. 15th, & 1434-1510 S. Racine:

One story retail bank with drive thru and 17 parking spaces, two residential buildings, 14 and 15 stories, containing a total of 603 units, 439 parking spaces, and approximately 25,000 sq ft of retail space.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 4:50 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ A suburban development next to yet another L stop.

Brook Architecture Inc.

What site plan would you propose instead?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 6:22 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

I'll begin:

1) Even if those styrofoam shitbox motels have to stay designed that poorly at least they could be reconfigured slightly and relocated to the street wall creating an actual place with an actual defined entry into the complex.

2) Get rid of those useless suburban perimeter grounds and consolidate them in a larger center park and roundabout—a roundabout the motels could be responding to especially if significantly enlarged.

3) Are there any sidewalks here or is this just the most amateur rendering I've ever seen?

4) This has all the appearances of a 'private' drive instead of a public street running into the property.

5) Break up the site to create more compact urban confines for the built form to respond to.

6) That ridiculous water park should not be visible from the street.

6) And did I mention the motel architecture appears to be the most bottom-of-the-barrel myopic trite imaginable?

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 8:14 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

Brook Architecture Inc.

^ I'm not going to waste my time trying to teach you how appropriate development near a transit station should look. You should already know the answer to that

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 11:47 PM

Ick. "Suburban" is too kind. I'd call that exurban.

Indiana Turnpike-quality development. There might as well be a cornfield and fireworks shack across the street.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 1:21 AM
just a pool of mushy goo

And under a gentlemen's club billboard.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 4:41 AM

Quote:

Brook Architecture Inc.

We have, perhaps, thousands of churches or multi-use developments near transit and highways in this city and thousands more in other cities we can look to as good examples. Why even ask this question?

The focus of this development is a parking lot. There's parking around the perimeter and there's a "plaza for cars" in the center. It looks a lot like an 80's mall that would be sitting vacant in suburban St. Louis. Is it really difficult to think of 10 ways this could be improved without significantly increasing costs or even decreasing surface parking?

I expect very little from a development at 87th street near the highway, but this is below those expectations. What would it take to fail to meet your expectations here?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 5:10 AM
TL;DR

Consider the reality of the site, though. It's cut off from everything by the Dan Ryan, it's at least 1/4 mile from the nearest residential units, and most of all, it's ALREADY surrounded by a gigantic suburban power center (Chatham Market/Chatham Ridge).

The site is in the City of Chicago, but it might as well be a holdout cornfield on Randall Road out in Kane County - it's no more accessible.

The 87th Red Line station exists to serve Chatham to the east, not anything to the west. It's also on the south side of 87th, so most walks to the site in question will be closer to 1/2 mile than 1/4 mile. The 29 bus serves the site with impressive frequency, but that's not enough to justify a dense TND-style development.

Don't get me wrong, I think the motels are atrocious and unbecoming of Chicago, and the renderings are terrible and unflattering (pick a reason - no time to make good renderings, no money for better software, no expertise in 3d programs...) But the site doesn't really call for anything other than suburban crap.

Last edited by ardecila; Jun 4, 2010 at 5:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 5:05 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
But the site doesn't really call for anything other than suburban crap.
Let's see if we can lower are expectations some more here please.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 6:01 PM

Forgive me for not taking the time to research, but are any of those structures in the above rendering existing?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2010, 6:01 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Forgive me for not taking the time to research, but are any of those structures in the above rendering existing?
I have no idea. I don't even know which way the rendering is facing. It seems to be facing west, but the Dan Ryan should be in the foreground.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2010, 4:06 PM
BANNED

^^^ I had a dream last night that the two motels in that project already exist and that they were made of that hilariously bad 60's brick with huge rectangles of lava rock randomly embedded in the side... Yes I am a complete architecture/urban dork and dream about these things...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2010, 4:21 PM

^^^ lol

Old Posted Jun 5, 2010, 8:32 PM

Quote:

Brook Architecture Inc.
My guess is it would look similar to that group of brand name hotels south of Midway Airport on Cicero that was built a few years ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development