HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
One of my close friends is trans, who in their 30s has had to spend tens of thousands of dollars - largely out of pocket - for therapy over multiple years culminating in surgery. But I'm sure this was all a nefarious plot to infiltrate teenage girls sports!!! So says the all powerful SSP intelligentsia, where everything is up for debate except for those topics decreed not to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I honestly can’t understand why it’s an issue? ...
These women and some men are butt hurt that transgendered people are invading their sacred gendered space. It’s absolutely ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Same. Though there is something amusing about a bunch of old white people talking about woke-ism. No wait, there isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Now the other shoe has dropped. A thread about annoyingly strident people who can't mind their own business devolves into a thread of annoyingly strident people who can't mind their own business. A bunch of old men in a tizzy about routine generational change.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung
^^being white is relevant in this anti-wokeness thread in the same way one might rightly wonder why the body-positivity movement is headed by fat chicks
Ding! ding! ding!

Dleung is disrespectful to women who don't correspond to societal norms with respect to to thinness.

Let the record state...

Nope, i'm just saying they have a dog in the fight, just like you do with race

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Rich coming from you.

Consider an Alberta forum where they debate and complain about Quebec all the time.

That's what this thread is.
Those forums with Albertans bitching about Quebec do freely exist, don't they?

And in any event, 52% of Albertans aren't potentially affected by what happens inside Quebec on a personal level.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:09 PM

Also, pretty small-dick energy to get all triggered into pearl-clutching over trans stuff, and then blaming it on Biguc's one passing mention of JK Rowling/TERFs lol

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Also, pretty small-dick energy to get all triggered into pearl-clutching over trans stuff, and then blaming it on Biguc's one passing mention of JK Rowling/TERFs lol
Insults again!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Nope, i'm just saying they have a dog in the fight, just like you do with race
Not everyone is as obsessed with race the way you are.

I've never displayed any race-related in-group identity on here, and I don't see this as a "fight" I have a "dog" in, other than as a member of this society who'd like to see it as peaceful and harmonious as possible.

None of our cities, provinces or even the country as whole are as good as they should be but I still see it as my duty to question moves that I don't see as being positive and in the direction of progress, and instead are more about short-term catering to the psychological excesses and pangs of the squeakiest wheel.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

"Psychotherapy" is not (good) "public policy".

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 6:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

spends four hours a day posting on the subject matter (and creates/curates multiple threads on the subject) = not at all being obsessed with the issue.

sure.

I don't really care about ugly buildings and ugly urban environments either.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 6:23 PM

Quote:
I'm middle aged and white. Generally speaking, I have the privilege and freedom to just walk away from this stuff and ignore it. Plenty of other people have to live it every day and can't escape it.

I'm sure they are tired of having OLD WHITE MEN tell them what's wrong with the latest societal change. There's certainly no shortage of it here.

Live and let live, move on.
Frankly, I don't care what demographic you identify with. I'm talking about having an open discussion while maintaining mutual respect for others, even if you don't agree with them. It shouldn't be difficult to understand the concept.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 6:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
spends four hours a day posting on the subject matter (and creates/curates multiple threads on the subject) = not at all being obsessed with the issue.

sure.

I don't really care about ugly buildings and ugly urban environments either.
I've already said that wokism interests me a lot and I've explained why.

Race is certainly a big part of wokism but it's not the only aspect of it.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:05 PM
Khan

Quote:

I'm going to take my own advice and go back to ignoring this thread.
This is really the best advice one can give or take.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:06 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
It's none of our business. It doesn't affect us. (I feel confident saying this because there's no way trans people will come around this board when they see this thread.)
Contrasting the gay marriage push twenty years ago with the trans activists these days is informative. Gay marriage? Yes, it literally, unequivocally does not affect anyone outside of the gay people who want to get married and enjoy the same legal rights that heterosexual married people have. It's a total no-brainer.

Clearly, genital mutilation and giving puberty blockers to prepubescent children is an entirely different kettle of fish. Doesn't affect me personally, no.

Quote:
We can all butt out and leave it to the people it actually affects, who, I trust, will come up with nuanced, case-by-case solutions...
Not sure if satire. Nuance? That's hilarious!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:16 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
My friends daughter is trans. I'm sure rousseau and Acajack would have no issue having a friendly sit-down and explain to her that she's not a girl and that the women's restroom is only for real girls because all her girl friends need a safe space from men and people like her.
Yeah, that's not how any of this works, obviously. I'm a bit disappointed in your ham-fisted attempt at character assassination here.

We engage in a polite fiction. I would say "she" and "her" and "daughter." If I didn't know her I wouldn't be paying any attention to which washroom she goes into with her friends.

I wouldn't raise the topic of menstruation or pubescent development or the future possibility of pregnancy with your friend just like I wouldn't bring up the issue with any of my friends with daughters. I would go along with the polite fiction that she's a girl, like everyone else does.

If we were having beers and a trans-activist ideologue launched into a tirade about how "transphobic" "haters" won't accept that she's every bit a girl that any other girl is, well...to be honest, I probably won't ever be in that kind of situation. But I'd probably just keep quiet, depending on how long it went on for.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Insults again!
We still don't know if it's a woman's dick or a man's dick though.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
We still don't know if it's a woman's dick or a man's dick though.
I think you're supposed to say "their dick"

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Trans women are women. Trans men are men.
That depends on how those terms are defined. Some defensible definitions would say that a woman is a human with an uterus and ovaries, and a man is a human with a dick and testicles that can produce sperm. Anyone who refuses to see this is pretty much the equivalent of a flat earther.

Quote:
Transgendered people make up less then 0.5% of the population and of that less than 0.5%, 41% has attempted suicide. They deserve to feel included, accepted, welcomed. They deserve to live without fear, without intimidation, and without dehumanization.
Sure, up to a certain reasonable limit.

Consider the following scenario: 41% of flat earthers have attempted suicide, and that's sad. Flat earthers deserve to feel included, accepted, welcomed. Therefore, from now on, the government will mandate that all school textbooks and teachers now have to teach children that some people consider the Earth to be an ellipsoid, while some consider Earth to be flat, and that both views are equally okay.

What's your opinion on this scenario? We have to accept the flat earthers, right? I mean, it wouldn't be right to have them "feel excluded".

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
we still don't know if it's a woman's dick or a man's dick though.
lol

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
I think you're supposed to say "their dick"
LOL part deux

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
That depends on how those terms are defined. Some defensible definitions would say that a woman is a human with an uterus and ovaries, and a man is a human with a dick and testicles that can produce sperm. Anyone who refuses to see this is pretty much the equivalent of a flat earther.

Sure, up to a certain reasonable limit.

Consider the following scenario: 41% of flat earthers have attempted suicide, and that's sad. Flat earthers deserve to feel included, accepted, welcomed. Therefore, from now on, the government will mandate that all school textbooks and teachers now have to teach children that some people consider the Earth to be an ellipsoid, while some consider Earth to be flat, and that both views are equally okay.

What's your opinion on this scenario? We have to accept the flat earthers, right? I mean, it wouldn't be right to have them "feel excluded".
Comparing transgendered people to flat earthers is, quite honestly, insulting. You are trying to compare someone’s biological makeup with someone’s right to believe ridiculous conspiracy theories. Trans women are woman, trans men are men. We are not talking about biological sex which can be defined with male and female, even then we have inter-sexed people born with both genitalia. Gender is not sex.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 9:46 PM

It’s sad to see the transphobic comments on this site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada