HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 5:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I remember a discussion some time ago where it was stated that WalMart no longer does small market stores. I believe it was in the Riverview thread. So do you see Shediac getting one?
No idea. A Shediac store however could draw business from Bouctouche to Shemogue. You're getting into the range of 30,000-35,000 people. Growth is only going to continue. I could see them putting in a regular Walmart store.

Sadly for those who want a Walmart in Riverview, Shediac has far more growth potential, and I imagine Walmart knows this........

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 6:14 PM

Honestly I would be surprised, but stranger things. I don't think a Walmart is really what Shediac needs, but it brings up an interesting thought experiment - What types of services does a growing town need or could sustain? I'm thinking of stuff like, Walmart's, hotels, restaurants, recreational facilities, storage facilities, parks etc.

I think Shediac could stand to have a couple of hotels as it is right now, if you came here to visit family there are 2 motels and 1 hotel to choose from unless you rent a cottage or go to a campground, but those options disappear in the winter.

The town could use it's own indoor swimming pool, add onto that walking track and a new ice surface to make a nice sporting complex

I think as far as housing goes, they are doing good with a good mix of multi-unit residential, condos and single family homes right now.

It would be nice to have stores that provide some of the basics like clothing so we didn't have to drive to Moncton to get stuff like socks and shoes. Rossi right now it the only place to get those types of things and they charge a premium for it.

I'm thinking of Shediac as pretty much as a blank slate for building a town, what should be considered or brought to town to continue growth sustainably

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 6:36 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I remember a discussion some time ago where it was stated that WalMart no longer does small market stores. I believe it was in the Riverview thread. So do you see Shediac getting one?
I feel as though a giant tiger would make more sense for a market like Shediac

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:27 PM

Probably look at what similarly sized towns have, like Woodstock, Grand Falls and Sussex. Shediac being so close to Moncton offsets some of those needs, but a Walmart, a variety of Hotels/motels, and a sports facility with a pool/walking track are likely things they should be looking to lure in/get into the town. Shediac should basically be looking to 'fill in' the space between it and Moncton with its own commercial "big box" district with a lot of those services, so the town has them, while not detracting too much from its touristy/beach access areas.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another retail rumour for Shediac.

A usually reliable source says that Sobeys plans to build a new Lawton's pharmacy in the town next year (2025).

I have no information as to where. Is there any space adjacent to the current Sobeys store???

Given all these fresh rumours, I would say that Shediac's recent explosive growth is beginning to be noticed by major retail planners in Canada.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Lawton's[/B] pharmacy in the town next year (2025).

I have no information as to where. Is there any space adjacent to the current Sobeys store???
There is no space next to the Sobeys, that is occupied by Glenwood Kitchen (which would be better suited for the industrial park) but there are some lots along main street that if they were combined would be large enough. There is also the lot on the opposite corner from the Canadian Tire that would be big enough for a Lawtons, but I would think they might want to try and get one more in town and there are some lots still available for development

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
I feel as though a giant tiger would make more sense for a market like Shediac
I agree, Giant Tiger would make a lot more sense than Walmart

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Another retail rumour for Shediac.

A usually reliable source says that Sobeys plans to build a new Lawton's pharmacy in the town next year (2025).

Given all these fresh rumours, I would say that Shediac's recent explosive growth is beginning to be noticed by major retail planners in Canada.
As per Lawton's location likely be located on current Glenwood kitchen parking space on Sobeys side. Request was done and motion pass by town council meeting on May 21. Glenwood request was to substitute land to move current parking on other side of the building currently land owned by them. I also noticed maybe month or so ago land surveying was recently done as there's red ribbons on this property.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks. Sounds like Lawton’s is essentially confirmed

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 6:25 PM

Shediac kids propose closing Main St from the bridge east to Weldon for the summer: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...reet-1.7224353

'Good intentions' and all that, but would Shediac be able to function with a pedestrianized Main St? Residential streets would be chaotic and the business impact would be crippling.

Not trying to beat up on kids of course, but I can't fathom this being a success.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 6:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Shediac mayor is being kind to the kids, and who wants to stifle youthful enthusiasm.

Their presentation is good, but, Shediac is constant traffic chaos all summer, and, Main Street is the only way to get through downtown directly. There is no way such a concept is viable.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 11:42 PM

Province should build an overpass at the Chesley ramps on hwy 15.

Town should close Main St from Chesley to Sackville/Weldon in the summer.

Cars can get into the residential area north of Main St from Weldon,
and the commercial area south of Main St from Chesley/Donat etc.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
Province should build an overpass at the Chesley ramps on hwy 15.

Town should close Main St from Chesley to Sackville/Weldon in the summer.

Cars can get into the residential area north of Main St from Weldon,
and the commercial area south of Main St from Chesley/Donat etc.
There is an overpass there. It’s on riverside. Miquelon is supposed to eventually connect straight to Riverside but it doesn’t just yet. There will eventually be ramps on the other side of the highway too.

Main Street handles so much traffic, that’s a terrible idea. It is already congested in the summer so that’s would never fly.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
There is an overpass there. It’s on riverside. Miquelon is supposed to eventually connect straight to Riverside but it doesn’t just yet. There will eventually be ramps on the other side of the highway too.

Main Street handles so much traffic, that’s a terrible idea. It is already congested in the summer so that’s would never fly.
fair points. Regarding closing Main St; yes it's busy, but with access from Ohio Road or Riverside/Chesley, traffic could easily access the town.

Honestly, Main St is a parking lot already (construction not helping.) Close it from Chesley to Weldon, or from Weldon to Chesley, whichever they prefer and have downtown be pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
fair points. Regarding closing Main St; yes it's busy, but with access from Ohio Road or Riverside/Chesley, traffic could easily access the town.

Honestly, Main St is a parking lot already (construction not helping.) Close it from Chesley to Weldon, or from Weldon to Chesley, whichever they prefer and have downtown be pedestrian friendly.
Shediac needs to fill in some of its downtown parking lots end replace that awful “mall” that takes up a whole block downtown. Then they can worry about pedestrian streets.

Further to your point about the highway, Shediac probably could use another overpass crossing the highway to allow for further expansion of the residential areas of the town. Riverside should also cross the river further south and connect to the 132 somewhere.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 5:38 PM

On the subject of Shediac roads, are there plans to extend Main to 134? You'd think they'd want to open that level, easily accessed land to development. Along with the 'island' of DTI-owned land between 11, 15, and 132 that's bisected by a small stream.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 11:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is on CCD Canada:

Quote:
NB - SHEDIAC
T. OF SHEDIAC, FIRE STATION
FIRE STATION EXPANSION & RENOVATION
$3,082,000
No additional information at this time

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 4:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently the Shediac fire hall is getting an additional two bays (along with other enhancements). In addition, the fire department is getting a new aerial ladder truck.

With all the new apartment buildings in town, up to six storeys in height, an aerial ladder seems like a very necessary expense.

Speaking of which, there is the possibility of a new 5-6 storey apartment building on South Cove Road between Main and Greenwood. It was briefly on PAC documents earlier this month, but, when I went back to research the info on this proposal, the item had been deleted from the PAC agenda. Perhaps the proposal is being reworked.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 5:23 PM

Might have been a mistake in case this is the development you had seen.

There was this proposal for an apartment in this location last year: https://plan360.ca/media-planning/li...rt-23-0638.pdf

It has since been put up for sale
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ove-rd-shediac

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 5:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, this was the building.

I was aware that it had come up before the planning commission before. The original proposal had included a penthouse unit on top of the structure. The revised proposal (that I had seen) had the penthouse removed. I'm not sure why this would have necessitated a return to the PAC committee.

Maybe they realized the original approval was still good, and as such, removed the item from the agenda.

This quote from the Realtor.ca listing indicates the site is pre-approved for this building. They are just looking for a developer to build it.

Quote:
ATTN: DEVELOPERS & INVESTORS. For SALE is an R3 Zoned land parcel which has been APPROVED for a 5 story, 44 unit apartment building project! INCLUDED IN THE PRICE: PHASE 1 environmental, Geotechnical Report, Preliminary Site Plan drawings & 3D Renderings. THIS IS A RARE OPPORTUNITY for someone looking for a turnkey project to develop in the growing Shediac region, which attracts new residents every year with its beautiful sandy beaches and comfortable lifestyle! Top floors of this apartment building will have a beautiful view of the ocean for the enjoyment of your future tenants, along with a common area rooftop patio as shown on the renders! HST is not included in the purchase price. One of the sellers is a licensed REALTOR® in the province of NB. (26527346)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces