HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 4:41 PM

https://www.idahostatesman.com/enter...289076789.html

Boise Airport plans major food and drink overhaul, expansion: Starbucks, Treefort, more
BY MICHAEL DEEDS UPDATED JUNE 06, 2024 6:09 PM

Quote:
The entertainment overhaul ranges from welcoming Starbucks into the airport to unveiling a new Treefort Music Fest-branded restaurant and bar. (Additional details weren’t immediately available from Treefort organizers about the hangout, but a rendering showed a musician performing live.)

Other concessions newcomers will include Protein Bar & Kitchen, Pizza Hut and Wendy’s, along with local brands Flying M Coffee, The STIL ice cream shop, Waffle Me Up, Blue Sky Bagels, Form + Function, Turas Flights and Bites by Telaya Wine Co. Bardenay, a local cocktail favorite already at the airport, will stay but be “reimagined,” according to the release.
Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/enter...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 12:43 PM

Alaska Airlines just announced new routes starting this winter. They will fly have year-round service to Orlando and seasonal service to Bozeman and Orange County. The airport has incentives for some new routes, so hopefully these remain after the money runs out.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 3:22 PM
Space Magi

While in Boise last week I visited the Boise Depot. This got me thinking about rail transit. I'm not familiar with the history of Boise's efforts to build light rail, but this seems like a very straightforward route with very high potential to me:

Airport-downtown connection
Greenbelt connection
Zoo proximity
Boise State proximity
Boise Depot connection (future interstate rail connection)
Other infill stations, density along route

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 5:27 PM

Agreed. I've also thought this would be a no-brainer line. Though, I think it'd more likely be a phase 2 project with the initial phase going down either Fairview or State.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:06 AM

I remember when I was in high school Boise tried a commuter train on the railroad tracks. It was a test pilot. I remember seeing the commuter train car going up and down the railroad. I thought it was a fantastic idea and I am not sure why it never caught on (money, I'd guess).

Funny enough, I'm having a hard time finding info about it online. The best I found was actually from the Lewiston, Idaho newspaper.

https://www.lmtribune.com/northwest/...c2886522c.html

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 2:29 PM

Our last mayor had a vision for a trolley line extending from the Airport to the Depot and into downtown. Light rail or train commuting has been a big topic of discussion recently with mayors in the valley.

This editorial offers some insight about the struggle.

Think Boise’s growth problems are bad now? We ain’t seen nothin’ yet | Opinion BY THE EDITORIAL BOARD JUNE 14, 2024 4:00 AM
Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/opini...#storylink=cpy

Quote:
As the Idaho Statesman’s Nick Rosenberger detailed in a story this week, Micron’s massive expansion in Boise could add up to 15,000 related jobs. That’s on top of the ongoing influx of new residents flooding into the Treasure Valley.
Quote:
But the Treasure Valley’s estimated population hasn’t even hit a million people; it still sits at about 822,000.
Quote:
Compass estimates that the region will need approximately $11.1 billion in transportation funding over the next 25 years, with an estimated $193 million shortfall every year between now and 2050. Where is that money going to come from?

We have a solution. It’s called a local option tax, which is an addition to the sales tax in a local area, whether it’s citywide or countywide. It could be something as small as a half-cent, such as the sales tax addition in Salt Lake City that generates about $35 million per year.
Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/opini...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
While in Boise last week I visited the Boise Depot. This got me thinking about rail transit. I'm not familiar with the history of Boise's efforts to build light rail, but this seems like a very straightforward route with very high potential to me:

Airport-downtown connection
Greenbelt connection
Zoo proximity
Boise State proximity
Boise Depot connection (future interstate rail connection)
Other infill stations, density along route

Another option would be Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), similar to what Spokane has implemented.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West