HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
16th St is one of the City streets getting a make-over. my walk today took me along it, and I tried to visit as many of the projects that I was aware of getting built either directly on it or within 2-3 blocks. . . . almost just pivoting from the location of the previous shot, looking past the 16th St BART station at the monstrous project at 1950 Mission St

I didn't go further west past the BART station, so am not sure if there is more up that way to see. there was nothing I could think of
I sure wish they'd "just build" the "Monster in the Mission" on that very corner but I've lost track of its status:

Images: https://www.livabl.com/2016/06/monst...pposition.html

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 3:42 AM

Was just driving up Franklin and noticed that demo has taken place for this project:

https://www.rg-architecture.com/1523-franklin-street

Only the exterior walls (for the “facadectomy”) remain.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
Was just driving up Franklin and noticed that demo has taken place for this project:

https://www.rg-architecture.com/1523-franklin-street

Only the exterior walls (for the “facadectomy”) remain.
Considering how awful the tower is, I'll allow for the facadism here. At least the older building has some flair and sense of proportion.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 12:58 AM

When I first saw the rendering I figured that those arched transom windows were original and had just been covered up, but it looks like all that remains on the front of the building is the white brick.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 2:12 AM

With the hideous tower portion, you can see the garbage they would have gone with on the ground floor if they weren't constrained to that older envelope.

I'm surprised the "architects" didn't decorate this thing with rusty rebar sticking out in random places to complete the "empty rust belt factory" aesthetic.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post

I'm surprised the "architects" didn't decorate this thing with rusty rebar sticking out in random places to complete the "empty rust belt factory" aesthetic.
I think it’s more just bland than “empty rust belt factory” and maybe emphasizing that theme by repeating the small-pane original windows along the alley in the tower would help it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 9:34 AM

The top floor is an ode to all the small-town buildings in America that replaced their big old leaky windows with off-the-shelf Home Depot infill. The ground-level envelope is decent.

Look, we've got a lot of great stuff going up in the City. This is not part of that great stuff.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 3:03 PM
heavy user of walkability

Temp TB Terminal

John King on the former Temporary Terminal site plans

Quote:
Filling in this final block “will really tie everything together,” said Joshua Switzky, a program manager with the city’s Planning Department who wrote the district plan, which was approved in 2012. “When everything is built, it will be the center of gravity for the residential neighborhood.”

The district plan envisions something more compelling — splitting the block rimmed by Howard, Main, Folsom and Beale streets into three horizontal zones, with a park bookended by housing complexes.

Along Folsom there’d be roughly 250 units in mid-rise buildings for low-income residents. The block to the north is zoned to allow a residential tower as part of a complex that would hold both market-rate and affordable units.

Plans for the block are now being reviewed by the city’s Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure.

The development team of Hines and Urban Pacific proposes a 47-story high-rise at Howard and Main streets, with a 16-story wing extending to Beale Street. The complex would hold upward of 700 units, as many as half of them reserved for low- and middle-income buyers. It’s an unusually high amount that includes the affordable units required at the Howard Street tower approved last month, another project planned by the team.

Long story short: As you near the city via the Bay Bridge or ferries, this tower would signal the new skyline almost as much as Salesforce Tower.

... the initial design filed with the city in May is promising, with a steep sculpted rectangle wrapped in a deep grid of copper-toned metal. The top 50 feet facing the bay would notch back roughly 15 feet, a small gesture toward the city’s edge.

... the proposed tower is 50 feet higher than the zoning allows. It’s bulkier, especially facing west, and no renderings from the all-important bay perspective have been released.

The height isn’t a problem. The bulkiness is ominous. Planners reviewing the project also need to ensure that the honeycomb-like metallic skin doesn’t get scrapped because of construction budgets.

Landscape architects with San Francisco Public Works will spend the next year working with neighbors to design the new park in the middle third of the block ...

... said Andrew Robinson, executive director the East Cut Community Benefit District, a group funded by area property owners: “We’d love a small neighborhood space for people to gather. ... A kids’ play area will be critical.”

Makes sense: 250 low-income apartments already front the site, and the tightly wound white Mira tower designed by Jeanne Gang will bring 392 market-rate and affordable condominiums across Main Street when it opens this spring. Add the 900 units planned to the north and south, and it will be hard to conceive that all these sites held on- and off-ramps before the Embarcadero Freeway was demolished in 1991.

The neighborhood will also get extensive street improvements funded by fees that Transbay developers have paid as part of their project costs.

Construction crews already are remaking Folsom Street with wider sidewalks. One of the city’s first sets of two-way protected bicycle lanes will be added to Beale Street beginning this summer. Other pedestrian-friendly upgrades aren’t far behind.

Assuming the economy stays strong, all of Transbay could be completed by 2025. That’s a hectic pace, but so far the results are pretty good

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 6:51 PM

I really enjoyed that article. Thanks for posting timbad

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:08 AM

Is Fox Plaza ok...?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRinconHill View Post
Is Fox Plaza ok...?
What do you mean?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:35 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
What do you mean?
The new lighting on it is atrocious!! The bright red outline dominates the scene from the southwest and west and is very garish, totally out of place in San Francisco.

Last edited by viewguysf; Feb 6, 2020 at 2:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Yhe new lighting on it is atrocious!! The bright red outline dominates the scene from the southwest and west and is very garish, totally out of place in San Francisco.

Last edited by bloobityblurp; Feb 6, 2020 at 6:13 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 6:26 AM
heavy user of walkability

^ oh no, please no

edit: eep, I can see it from my back door, it actually looks worse in real life. they've got to reconsider, if that is the actual intent.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 9:00 AM

Quote:
^ oh no, please no

edit: eep, I can see it from my back door, it actually looks worse in real life. they've got to reconsider, if that is the actual intent.
They are just testing the new lighting or so they've told the residents. I don't think it's going to be red like that all the time but the colors may change and sometimes maybe it will be.

Fox Plaza management says it's "gentrifying the neighborhood":

https://socketsite.com/wp-content/up...fication-1.jpg

PS: Hey Boobity: I'm looking at the way those people in your photo are dressed. Is it really that warm in SF? I'm freezing my *ss off in Tucson with this giant blast of arctic air that looks on weather maps like it should be chilling you all too. Supposed to let up tomorrow though and back to the 70s by the weekend.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Feb 6, 2020 at 9:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:21 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
^ oh no, please no

It’s worse from a higher elevation distance too since the light across the mechanical penthouse on top can be seen in its full height. In addition, since the building is angled, both sides on one end can be visible, increasing the width of the up lighting. People are going to mock Fox Plaza more than they already do.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:59 PM

New LED lighting in out skyline is cool, but that red is horrible. Just keep it white and we should be okay.

In the future, maybe changing it to team colors like blue & yellow when the Warriors are doing good again would be dope.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 8:20 PM

Anybody else remember the ballot initiative to "neonify" Market St.? I voted for it. I liked the idea of a central "great white (or maybe red) way" through the center of SF but it didn't pass. Maybe Fox Plaza is going to do it all by itself.

For those who say it's out of character for SF, I offer:

https://www.eichlernetwork.com/blog/...eon-comes-life

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 3:16 AM

I met the guy behind that initiative. He co-owned Show Dogs back in the day, too. He has since moved on from SF.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:22 AM

They were testing a kaleidoscope of colors tonight and it didn't look too bad.

And yes, it's been quite comfortable at night with little wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
PS: Hey Boobity: I'm looking at the way those people in your photo are dressed. Is it really that warm in SF? I'm freezing my *ss off in Tucson with this giant blast of arctic air that looks on weather maps like it should be chilling you all too. Supposed to let up tomorrow though and back to the 70s by the weekend.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations