HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?
Liberal Party 75 38.66%
Conservative Party 47 24.23%
New Democratic Party 37 19.07%
People's Party 11 5.67%
Bloc Québécois 6 3.09%
Green Party 13 6.70%
Other 5 2.58%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
I have no contempt for any of the communities in this country. If simply pointing out that the cities contain the majority of the country's population is somehow demonstrating "little regard and probable contempt" for rural areas, you guys are the ones showing contempt.
Not showing contempt, just feeling like society has lost something when the ability to explore places further than one can walk or cycle is looked upon as a non-requirement... or a negative in some cases.

As a person who is interested in history, I learned that it wasn't all that long ago in the realm of human history that roads were basically rough paths cut out through the trees that turned into impassible mudholes in wet weather and the shoulder seasons and were blocked by snow in wintertime. Privileged people could travel by horse, wagon, or, eventually, train if they wanted to leave their town, village, or city. The average person would often never venture more than 10 miles from where they were born.

The advent of paved roads and the automobile changed all that such that people can now use those conveyances to travel from Halifax to Vancouver if they wish. Amazing, really.

However, I am saddened a little by the impression that some don't seem to understand the value in that, and appear to be willing to give it up and go back, essentially, to the horse-and-buggy days.

That's all...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
The West is the area West of Ontario. In Vancouver and Victoria you have a lot of whatnext's, but most of BC by land is covered with people who vote with AB, MB and SK. There's just something about living in a bit city and working in an office that makes you a man on a high horse who has to judge everyone and assumes everyone should eat cake like them.

I hope the Canadians in AB, MB, and SK understand that most of us in BC have their back. Also you shipped all your homeless, hippes, and drug addicts here so what did you expect?
The CMAs of Vancouver and Victoria are home to most of BC's population, so what people there think is more representative of what "BC thinks" than people anywhere else.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
The West is the area West of Ontario. In Vancouver and Victoria you have a lot of whatnext's, but most of BC by land is covered with people who vote with AB, MB and SK. There's just something about living in a bit city and working in an office that makes you a man on a high horse who has to judge everyone and assumes everyone should eat cake like them.

I hope the Canadians in AB, MB, and SK understand that most of us in BC have their back. Also you shipped all your homeless, hippes, and drug addicts here so what did you expect?
Land doesn't vote. People do.

And your stereotypes say so much more about you than the people you think you're describing.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
The CMAs of Vancouver and Victoria are home to most of BC's population, so what people there think is more representative of what "BC thinks" than people anywhere else.
It's the participation trophy they need to feel good.

"Most Canadians don't like our platform!"

"That's okay. We have most of the land."

"Will it get us power?"

"No. But we can say it and imply that we're somehow better and more important."

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 12:41 AM

LOL, a bit of karma to see Kenney screw Alberta's cities after having to listen to prairie folk whine about other province's "urban elites" electing the federal Liberals:

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney’s budget cuts hit Calgary and Edmonton hard
JUSTIN GIOVANNETTI AND CARRIE TAIT
EDMONTON AND CARRIE

Naheed Nenshi and Don Iveson are angry. The mayors of Alberta’s two largest cities are decrying the first budget from Premier Jason Kenney’s government for breaking campaign promises and making larger-than-expected cuts to municipal funding...

...Mr. Kenney has promised that the province will balance its budget within four years. Mr. Nenshi, the Calgary mayor, says some of the cuts unveiled on Thursday could take decades to fix.

Speaking at City Hall on Thursday night, he crumpled up a piece of paper and threw it to the ground. The paper represented the United Conservative Party’s promise to keep in place city charters negotiated over years with Edmonton and Calgary. The budget announced that the charters would be revoked and funding for the two cities cut from $500-million to $455-million starting in 2023.

“I expected their word to be worth something,” Mr. Nenshi told The Globe and Mail of Mr. Kenney’s platform promise....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-and-edmonton/

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 1:38 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Not showing contempt, just feeling like society has lost something when the ability to explore places further than one can walk or cycle is looked upon as a non-requirement... or a negative in some cases.

As a person who is interested in history, I learned that it wasn't all that long ago in the realm of human history that roads were basically rough paths cut out through the trees that turned into impassible mudholes in wet weather and the shoulder seasons and were blocked by snow in wintertime. Privileged people could travel by horse, wagon, or, eventually, train if they wanted to leave their town, village, or city. The average person would often never venture more than 10 miles from where they were born.

The advent of paved roads and the automobile changed all that such that people can now use those conveyances to travel from Halifax to Vancouver if they wish. Amazing, really.

However, I am saddened a little by the impression that some don't seem to understand the value in that, and appear to be willing to give it up and go back, essentially, to the horse-and-buggy days.

That's all...
As a counterpoint, the main reason i even got a driver's license was because i wanted to explore the region outside the reach of public transportation. I've driven to CB twice, PEI twice, Fredericton, Saint John, Annapolis Valley, multiple times and the South Shore probably a couple dozen times. Also drove to Ontario and Quebec. All without ever owning a car. For awhile I was a fairly frequent car renter but what I really wish is that a car sharing service was more easily accessible from my neighbourhood.

Personally I consider the ability to use a car without having to take responsibility for the everyday care and maintenance of one to be the ultimate form of freedom. Having to be saddled with one all the time even when you don't actually need it on a day to day basis I'd consider more of a burden. Plus if you've invested in the purchase and insurance of a car and it's sitting there all the time you're much more tempted to hop into it out of convenience when otherwise you'd be fine with an alternative. And frankly it almost seems like a waste to spend that much in terms of sunk and fixed costs and not maximizing the value.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
As a counterpoint, the main reason i even got a driver's license was because i wanted to explore the region outside the reach of public transportation. I've driven to CB twice, PEI twice, Fredericton, Saint John, Annapolis Valley, multiple times and the South Shore probably a couple dozen times. Also drove to Ontario and Quebec. All without ever owning a car. For awhile I was a fairly frequent car renter but what I really wish is that a car sharing service was more easily accessible from my neighbourhood.

Personally I consider the ability to use a car without having to take responsibility for the everyday care and maintenance of one to be the ultimate form of freedom. Having to be saddled with one all the time even when you don't actually need it on a day to day basis I'd consider more of a burden. Plus if you've invested in the purchase and insurance of a car and it's sitting there all the time you're much more tempted to hop into it out of convenience when otherwise you'd be fine with an alternative. And frankly it almost seems like a waste to spend that much in terms of sunk and fixed costs and not maximizing the value.
To each his own - one person’s burden is another one’s pleasure.

BTW, not to make a point, but just to be factual, when your car is sitting it’s not racking up miles so therefore your car lasts longer and requires less maintenance. They are not like milk that spoils if you don’t use it by a certain date.

As an aside, the convenience of having a car available to use on a moment’s notice is not a bad thing...

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 2:50 AM
I am a typical

I own a vehicle because I like the convenience of having it available to me at a moments notice (taxis are unreliable here, public transit stops at a certain point, and very few others in my family or circle of friends has a vehicle anymore, so I have no real backup) but it did cost a lot, just over $43,000 over 5 years (including ownership, insurance, gas, service, and even minor things like armorall wipes and windshield washing fluid; not including the gas money people give me when I give them rides). Subtract its resale value ($10,000-$11,000) and it's cost is $32,000. Divide that by the mileage I've put on it over the last five years, and it's cost around $1.10 per km driven.

For comparison, I rented a truck in Southern Ontario last May, it cost $850 for the week (that's including gas and parking costs) and I put in over 2,000km, then walked away from it. $0.43/km. But it can only be picked up at certain times, and I had to travel a long distance to get it to begin with.

If we had car sharing I probably wouldn't own a vehicle. If I lived in a larger city with 24 hour transit, I probably wouldn't own a vehicle. But I live just outside downtown in a small city and the bus route that passes my house is about to be reduced to once per hour. So I own a vehicle.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:03 AM

Like where are people getting this ridiculous idea that anybody is advocating for all driving to end? This is a ridiculous strawman being debated.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:29 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
To each his own - one person’s burden is another one’s pleasure.

BTW, not to make a point, but just to be factual, when your car is sitting it’s not racking up miles so therefore your car lasts longer and requires less maintenance. They are not like milk that spoils if you don’t use it by a certain date.

As an aside, the convenience of having a car available to use on a moment’s notice is not a bad thing...
Well, unless you're trying to reduce your energy and pollution footprint. Then it's about as "good" as having a convenient pack of cigs in the drawer when you're trying to quit smoking.

But yes point taken about the fixed costs. You are definitely saving some money by using your car less, but there are some costs that more or less are like spoiled milk. For instance, the savings you get on your insurance by driving slightly less is negligible, and when you have to pay for parking at your home you save zero. Not to mention that cars depreciate not just by usage, but also by age. Although if your car is more than say 5 years old, the age depreciation slows considerably. The only point I was making is that not owning a car absolutely does not mean being trapped in an "urban island" without freedom.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:38 AM
I am a typical

Type of vehicle also affects depreciation. My truck lost $2,000 in value when Ford released the 2019 Ranger because it wasn't the newest Ranger anymore.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 4:08 AM

Also why I tried to win a Raptor in the hospital home lottery out here. They hold value very well. I drive my personal vehicles very few km’s a year, right around 10,000km a year. My insurance is pretty cheap. I have not kept track of all costs associated with my truck but I do know I spent $3000 on it in September. Needed new tires and then I just bought other shit for it for fun.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Type of vehicle also affects depreciation. My truck lost $2,000 in value when Ford released the 2019 Ranger because it wasn't the newest Ranger anymore.
did they bring the Ranger back? It was cancelled a few years ago

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 11:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:

You do realize that Manitoba is not hard-core Tory blue country like AB and SK, right? If anything, we are more like BC in our federal voting patterns.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
You do realize that Manitoba is not hard-core Tory blue country like AB and SK, right? If anything, we are more like BC in our federal voting patterns.
To be honest Pinus, the only swing ridings are within the Perimeter Highway of Winnipeg. The Agricultural area of southern Manitoba is pretty hard blue. The massive Churchill riding in the north is mainly NDP Orange. In BC, its the lower mainland and Vancouver Island that is similar to Winnipeg where the eastern border ridings of BC are pretty hard blue as well.

Granted, those swing ridings have a majority of the populations of MB and BC.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
did they bring the Ranger back? It was cancelled a few years ago
Yup they started selling their international pickup as a ranger in the Canadian / American market. It’s a lot bigger now, essentially full size. Only a bit smaller than the f-150.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
To be honest Pinus, the only swing ridings are within the Perimeter Highway of Winnipeg. The Agricultural area of southern Manitoba is pretty hard blue. The massive Churchill riding in the north is mainly NDP Orange. In BC, its the lower mainland and Vancouver Island that is similar to Winnipeg where the eastern border ridings of BC are pretty hard blue as well.

Granted, those swing ridings have a majority of the populations of MB and BC.
Is the argument, "we won more land again"?"

Or are we at the Animal Farm version, "some votes are worth more than others"?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Is the argument, "we won more land again"?"

Or are we at the Animal Farm version, "some votes are worth more than others"?
No, this is a rebuttal to the opinion that opinions in Winnipeg is a reflection of the entire province.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 2:21 PM

Out of the 5 main prairie cities, Calgary is the only one that won't regularly vote in left wing parties.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
No, this is a rebuttal to the opinion that opinions in Winnipeg is a reflection of the entire province.
Ah so, "some opinions are worth more than others."

Namely, the opinions of those who vote in a manner you approve of?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada