HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:22 PM
Ham-burgher

Video Link

City councillors seem more interested in other issues, especially those who represent the central lower city.

But heritage (and promoting quality for the "Hamilton" that gets built) are important.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:42 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
There should definitely be more work/effort put into maintaining these buildings, or atleast incorporating the facades into these modern condos. In general the DRP seems to focus on the wrong aspects -- they care way more about things like height guidelines than design and ground level design.

I do want to note that it appears 33 Bowen will not be destroyed for 96 Main St E (thankfully).
Totally agreed on all those points.

And yes we were all kinda up in arms about that was it wasn't clear.. it's safe.. FOR NOW.

It's definitely one of the oldest buildings in the city, and sadly not very visible - but could definitely be very popular if it was sandwiched between 2 new builds on each side. The area south of sapporo is definitely a wasteland of potential building area I'd love to see filled up, just not at the cost of our character, nor our heritage.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 8:50 PM

Get ready for the urban boundary expansion debate to bubble up again..

At the next planning committee:

https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings...umentId=413655

The province recently changed the planning act which allows developers to submit and subsequently appeal urban boundary expansion applications. This was not previously possible, with sole control resting in the hands of municipalities.

This came into effect June 6th. By June 27, developers had appealed an application they had already made.

Hamilton Council ran it's little victory lap around Urban Boundary Expansion, but little do they know that the province was maneuvering behind them to set the stage for the city to get it's urban boundary expansion through another method.. This time, developer-led.

My bet is that this is far from the last privately-initiated application for urban boundary expansion which will come forward, either.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 9:52 PM
Ham-burgher

One thing you can say about the Ford government... it's relentless.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 10:11 PM

i'm more interested in the upcoming encampment debate. Looks like a small civil war brewing among council.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
i'm more interested in the upcoming encampment debate. Looks like a small civil war brewing among council.
Does anyone know when this debate his happening?...it's going to be a slugfest as I've been noticing how polarized council is becomng.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton