HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Any word whether there is anticipated widening projects to the eastern fringes of the GTA? Most expansion seems to be on the western fringes.
Probably because they just completed a massive expansion of the 407 (tolled, I know), building two new highways (412, 418) and widening the 401 from Brock to Salem.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 2:50 PM

The 401 through Whitby needs some work but it’s generally not terrible. The work is needed more on the west end.

I do wish they were focusing on 6-landing the 401 eastward a bit more, but other corridors like the 400 are genuinely much worse so I get why they are focusing on that.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 5:16 PM

Why does it seem that an overpass replacement project has become a year long or more project anymore? In the London area, the highway 74 overpass was just replaced. They started work in the summer of 2020, got the new support pillars in the centre, beside the old bridge, and had the new end abutments built before winter. Then early this year, put the new steel girders in, closed and demolished the old bridge and it was still a good 5 or more months until the new bridge opened. Further west, they closed and demolished a simple overpass (not even an interchange) this summer and started work on replacing it. They said the road would be closed for 12 months.

As recently as 2017, the Veterans Memorial Parkway overpass and interchange was replaced. They closed and demolished it in late March and the new bridge and new ramps were open in less than 8 months, and this was a much bigger project than the other 2 I mentioned. Quite the change in timelines in only a few years. I don't travel to Toronto often anymore, how has the timing been for new overpass construction out that way?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Why does it seem that an overpass replacement project has become a year long or more project anymore? In the London area, the highway 74 overpass was just replaced. They started work in the summer of 2020, got the new support pillars in the centre, beside the old bridge, and had the new end abutments built before winter. Then early this year, put the new steel girders in, closed and demolished the old bridge and it was still a good 5 or more months until the new bridge opened. Further west, they closed and demolished a simple overpass (not even an interchange) this summer and started work on replacing it. They said the road would be closed for 12 months.

As recently as 2017, the Veterans Memorial Parkway overpass and interchange was replaced. They closed and demolished it in late March and the new bridge and new ramps were open in less than 8 months, and this was a much bigger project than the other 2 I mentioned. Quite the change in timelines in only a few years. I don't travel to Toronto often anymore, how has the timing been for new overpass construction out that way?
I believe the VMP was a rapid-replacement, no?

Smaller overpasses are done through traditional construction methods which are cheaper, and much slower, because they don't have as much pressure from traffic impacts.

A lot of MTO projects have been very slow though lately, the 404 widening will run for 6 construction seasons before it's done and they only had one overpass and one river-crossing to widen in terms of structures. It's ridiculous, it probably could have been done in two construction seasons if they wanted.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I believe the VMP was a rapid-replacement, no?

Smaller overpasses are done through traditional construction methods which are cheaper, and much slower, because they don't have as much pressure from traffic impacts.

A lot of MTO projects have been very slow though lately, the 404 widening will run for 6 construction seasons before it's done and they only had one overpass and one river-crossing to widen in terms of structures. It's ridiculous, it probably could have been done in two construction seasons if they wanted.
By rapid, you mean where they build the new beside the old and slide into place? No, they tore down the old bridge and rebuilt it in place, as well as dug out most of the ramps and redid them, as well as added one new ramp. And even though they were done in under 8 months, they were still late by a few weeks lol

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 4:16 PM
User Registered

This is rapid bridge replacement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuKUAWiIDf4

The 401/VMP replacement just had a new bridge built to the existing one, and opened before demo work started on the older overpass. That project was actually a downgrade to the interchange efficiency, as it included two traffic lights (the old interchange was a trumpet and had none).

That means if the VMP is to ever become a freeway, a new 401 interchange will have to be built one day or the existing junction needs to be heavily modified. If not we're stuck with traffic lights at a freeway-freeway interchange just like 401/Highbury next door.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 4:36 PM

Nope, VMP was demolished and a new bridge built in place of the old one. This is a pic I took from Old Victoria on April 3, 2017. That the VMP interchange is considered a downgrade from what was there prior is a misnomer due to the fact that the road extends to Wilton Grove now, where it ended at the 401 before, and that is a huge improvement.

You might be thinking of Wellington Road, which had the new built beside the old in 2007.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.92216...!7i3328!8i1664

Last edited by Djeffery; Dec 19, 2021 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 9:28 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Nope, VMP was demolished and a new bridge built in place of the old one. This is a pic I took from Old Victoria on April 3, 2017. That the VMP interchange is considered a downgrade from what was there prior is a misnomer due to the fact that the road extends to Wilton Grove now, where it ended at the 401 before, and that is a huge improvement.
Ah yes you are right. I remember that closure/demo now. Still not considered rapid replacement tho.

I'd argue that 401/VMP interchange is downgraded from a efficiency standpoint at least. +2 traffic lights is never good. Sure it gets extended a bit but Wilton Grove can be accessed via Highbury or Westchester Bourne and you can go drive at near highway speeds on Wilton Grove. The only improvement is those on VMP that actually want to turn onto Wilton Grove in order to commute to their jobs that are connected to Wilton Grove.

If the VMP ever gets extended further south, then the interchange 'downgrade' would be warranted some more since it provides additional access and will take some traffic from 401/Highbury for those heading to St. Thomas from the 401.

Once the new Digman Drive bridge is built, I'd like to see a full Aux lane run on the 401 from the 402 to Wellington Road. There's a lot of weaving here and having a dedicated exit lane will help from a safety standpoint.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 6:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Will there ever be a day when we can drive straight to Toronto without some massive construction slowdown? It never, ever ends. Construction in KWC has lasted about 200 years, and don't even mention the 401 widening in Missingsausage.

They just keep moving around the pylons and the bottlenecks.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 8:44 PM
Closed account

I am somewhat curious why the MTO is listing the distances to the next exit to the tenth of a kilometre.

US freeways seem to limit it to 1/4 of a mile, which is close enough (400m) for spacing on exits.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 3:26 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
I am somewhat curious why the MTO is listing the distances to the next exit to the tenth of a kilometre.

US freeways seem to limit it to 1/4 of a mile, which is close enough (400m) for spacing on exits.
I think it's only done when the interchanges are closely spaced.

When the Linc opened in Hamilton its signs were like that and it seemed weird, but the spacing of the major roads meant rounding to the nearest km would have been wrong.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 4:09 PM

It looks stupid... should be rounded to the nearest .5

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 4:24 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Will there ever be a day when we can drive straight to Toronto without some massive construction slowdown? It never, ever ends. Construction in KWC has lasted about 200 years, and don't even mention the 401 widening in Missingsausage.

401 is so busy that it needs constant maintenance / expansion to keep it operating decently. To add to this- many overpasses are reaching their end of life and need rehabilitation or replacement.

It would be nice not to see any construction on the 401, but that's not sustainable. Pavement will suffer and congestion will get worse.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 4:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

what is the deal with blue vs. green signage? the toll highways use blue, but the non-tolled highways also sometimes use blue, along with the usual green. What's the deal here?

Last edited by MolsonExport; Jan 4, 2022 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
what is the deal with blue vs. red signage? the toll highways use blue, but the non-tolled highways also sometimes use blue, along with the usual green. What's the deal here?
Where collector-express exists, collectors use blue signs and express use green signs.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2022, 4:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

ah...thanks. I wonder how many people know this. perhaps I am the only unknowing person

Old Posted Jan 8, 2022, 11:20 PM

Quote:

In fairness to the MTO, the most recent 401 expansions (Hwy 8 to Townline and Credit River to 25) have proceeded at an astonishing pace compared to the work leading up to them. I expect we will likely see both opening in 2022 (an election year... hmmm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I think it's only done when the interchanges are closely spaced.

When the Linc opened in Hamilton its signs were like that and it seemed weird, but the spacing of the major roads meant rounding to the nearest km would have been wrong.
The Linc exit numbers seem suspiciously like they were originally supposed to be miles and then they converted them to km. I think they're all multiples of 1.6?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 3:54 AM

North York City Centre from the Don Mills Road overpass:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...un21_24x16.jpg

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 5:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^the monster in all its glory.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario