HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 5:29 AM
TW

Any updates on what's happening with this lot? It used to have a development plan but now it looks like it's being sold.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1931...d-OR/27773958/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 3:01 PM

Is that the one that was recently demo'd?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Is that the one that was recently demo'd?
Yes

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 11:29 PM

Update on 3140 NE Sandy Blvd:

And the Anna Mann house next to it:

19 Units at 1524 NE 40th Ave:

I think this is the U/C 801 NE 21st Ave which will have 271 Units:

Last edited by jb111120; Mar 26, 2023 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 1:46 PM

It's not often my casual house search pops up with developable land that will obviously be multi-unit residential. This is the lot at the SE corner of MLK and Fremont, adjacent to lots of other recently developed residential buildings along MLK. I wonder why Redfin?

https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/U...home/184732288

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 1:50 PM

The former small food cart pod at NE MLK and Beech seems to be getting renewed life. Drove by on MLK and they were actively erecting a rather large roof structure (for a pod) on this site and had a sign out front for food cart spaces available. Judging by the size of the roof, looks like it might be trying to start a nice one too.

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...D/R102951_did/

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 12:25 AM

I made a few stops today between Sandy/33rd and Sandy/24th, and there are several projects progressing significantly. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to snap a few pics (I will next time), but the Morningstar at Laurelhurst (3100 NE Sandy) looks to be wrapping up, as well as the Mann Estate House addition (at least the northern side). The Morningstar is significant in size and length, and a great addition to the streetscape.

A few levels of the Pop Blocks phase 1 are well underway, and it's eye-catching the size and scale of the site is. I'm very excited for that addition to Sandy, especially the pavilion. And after many years, it looks like there's finally visible action on the Atomic Orchard project at 2550 NE Sandy. I've noticed the current Guerilla Dev projects seem to take a very long time to get through permitting (Unicorn Bed Apts at NW 22nd/Glisan in Approved for over a year, Great Scott Trio under review for 2+ years, and a few others.

Anyway, I'm liking the progress on that part of Sandy. Hopefully it continues with Sandy Pine and the Bottle Blocks in the near future.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Building permit issued for Aldea at Glisan Landing, a $25.6M affordable housing project in Portland

Building permit has been issued for the Aldea at Glisan Landing, a four-story affordable housing building, at 451 N.E. 75th Ave. (Holst Architecture). The four-story, 96-unit affordable housing building will have community areas and ground-floor parking.
More information on this project here...

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 11:01 PM
Mostly Up To Code

$52M for 96 units? Is there something bundled into that cost, or have we really hit a point where $540k/unit is considered affordable now?

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOverPun View Post
$52M for 96 units? Is there something bundled into that cost, or have we really hit a point where $540k/unit is considered affordable now?
I'm not in the industry, but it definitely seems like someone is banking big money on that. When the median house sale price in Portland is only $502k, and 1/3 of these units are 1 BR or smaller, somehow doesn't seem like an efficient way to get people into housing by spending more for less. Would be interesting to see the cost/SF.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 9:18 PM

The project includes lots of amenities like playgrounds, picnic areas, community gardens, surface parking, even an on-site preschool. Other articles also mention an adult learning and worker training programs.
From the renderings it looks like there is ground floor leasable spaces, possibly retail/restaurant.
Those building costs add up and maybe shouldn't be calculated into a purely per/unit cost to criticize affordable housing.

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 10:25 PM
Mostly Up To Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
The project includes lots of amenities like playgrounds, picnic areas, community gardens, surface parking, even an on-site preschool. Other articles also mention an adult learning and worker training programs.
From the renderings it looks like there is ground floor leasable spaces, possibly retail/restaurant.
Those building costs add up and maybe shouldn't be calculated into a purely per/unit cost to criticize affordable housing.
Yeah, this makes sense, I'm a little appalled at myself for not realizing that. I do wonder if providing a more detailed breakdown would help. Anyway, thank you!

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 5:14 AM

20 townhouses coming to 6401 E Burnside. Lots of activity in this area lately.

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
It's not about criticizing it, it's about optimizing scare resources to provide the most benefit per dollar (most beds). Most residential construction includes such amenities, so the point still stands.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 3:22 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
It's not about criticizing it, it's about optimizing scare resources to provide the most benefit per dollar (most beds). Most residential construction includes such amenities, so the point still stands.
Most new home prices include playgrounds, picnic areas, community gardens, on-site preschools, adult training classrooms, retail spaces, and restaurants in their costs per unit?!? Like the picture of 6401 E Burnside homes above? Wow I am really out of the loop.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb111120 View Post
20 townhouses coming to 6401 E Burnside. Lots of activity in this area lately.
The AFSCME building just a couple blocks down from there has had a sale sign on it for a hot minute there, and I know from my former as a member that it's not a building most would want to keep, very curious to see if it gets demoed and turned into housing as well.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socinus View Post
The AFSCME building just a couple blocks down from there has had a sale sign on it for a hot minute there, and I know from my former as a member that it's not a building most would want to keep, very curious to see if it gets demoed and turned into housing as well.
I'd rule out demo since there is a permit from the end of last month for some new electrical panels for the AFSCME building: https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R230654

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 1:01 AM

Affordable housing on the way in Northeast Portland

Quote:
A new affordable housing complex is in the works for a Metro-owned site in Portland’s Montavilla neighborhood.

Beacon and Aldea at Glisan Landing will be two four-story buildings with a total of 137 apartments. Beacon is being led by co-developers and co-owners Related Northwest and Catholic Charities. Aldea is being led by co-developers and co-owners Related Northwest and Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization (IRCO).

The project team also includes Holst Architecture and LMC Construction. The total project cost is around $56.9 million.
Continues ($)

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 3:43 PM

So for those comparing per unit cost (which I think isn't a great way to look at dense urban projects) that is a reduction of over 23% in cost per unit from what was previously being commented on.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:48 PM

15 units coming to 234 NE 61st St. Maybe not the sexiest project, but I love seeing little infill projects like this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland