HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:08 PM

^I'm as pro-density as anyone, but this one really does feel out of scale. With Gillepsie's involvement though I have no doubt there is work being done behind the scenes to push it through.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:25 PM

Love it, that whole area could benefit from development like that. An active dense mini-region surrounded by wilderness, wonderful!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:36 PM

Thanks for posting, I hope it goes through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto View Post
^I'm as pro-density as anyone, but this one really does feel out of scale.
Eh. It's out of scale because most of Horseshoe Bay is zoned to forbid anything other than single family homes and some duplexes. In a perfect world the area would have been allowed to grow gradually as demand went up, but that didn't happen and we've reached a point where there is enough pent-up demand to build a massive amount at once.

Last edited by quobobo; Sep 24, 2015 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
With the Marine Drive thread now unofficially retired, I thought I should mention here that construction has begun on x61 living (1061 Marine Drive, west of Indigo).

x61living.com

It's been a while since something new happened on Marine.
took long enough! that will totally improve that stretch of marine, the current buildings look like they could be pushed over

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 1:20 AM

With respect to Horseshoe Bay,

It's a big parking lot now. And the project isn't that much taller than the building behind it. It's well within the scale of the Mountain behind it.

Seems like a good plan to me.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:32 AM

Here's a pic of the model, from an open house:

http://www.nsnews.com/news/bay-watch-1.2066716

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 6:04 PM

Westbank + Merrick Architecture. Now there's a great team.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 10:01 PM
See ya down under, mates

No photos but it looks like demolition has started at Lynn Valley Centre. Here's the plan again

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 10:14 PM

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 10:49 PM

That new crane that they installed last year. Has it been in use since then? Anyone seen anything big being lifted with it?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 12:32 AM
See ya down under, mates

Looks nice, but that blocks off yet another potential third Burrard inlet crossing.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 2:58 AM
ON3P Skis

A 4 storey building wouldn't stop a multi-billion dollar 3rd crossing (not that it is ever going to happen). This is another step good step to actual work getting done on the National Shipbuilding Strategy.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 4:35 AM
See ya down under, mates

Let me dream, man.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 12:50 AM
See ya down under, mates

How long has the Pizza Hut on Marine drive been closed? That's one more ugly relic of the old Marine gone.

Also 3rd street bike trail lookin good

It doesn't look like all the houses on the north side are getting trees in front though. I guess it was up to the owner.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 1:55 AM

I think I noticed Pizza Hut closed about a month ago. Yeah that and it's neighbour are pretty ugly. Hopefully it'll get torn down

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 3:42 AM

Taken by me today while on the 210.

Keith Road Bridge

Canyon Springs (Mountain Hwy & 27th St)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 6:11 AM

New Jamaican restaurant opened up where ethical kitchen was, beside the Indigo on Marine. I was hoping for Kingston 11 (yea I still remember that amazing place) quality, no luck. Not bad, but not quite there.

Hearthstone Beer twitter account says it is opening in December. It is behind Indigo, taking over the old Red Truck brewing place, and also took over the small liquor store next to Indigo. Their plan is to open a pizza / beer joint. The owners have a popular pizza place in Whistler.

Black Kettle microbrew, hidden by Bewicke, is expanding quite a bit. It will continue to serve their great beer, but also expand to finger food. A little bakery opened up in the light industrial area where Black Kettle is as well. Unfortunately the cookie and latte I tried there was not close to being good.

That entire area in a meandering sort of way is turning into quite the little food hub. Thomas Haas is in the general area as well. It will all amp up when the Hawkers Market opens there.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 8:41 PM
See ya down under, mates

Centreview (Lonsdale and 13th) getting tall

CentreView, North Vancouver by chrisjohann, on Flickr

Bridgewater (14th and Chesterfield) too

Bridgewater, North Vancouver by chrisjohann, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 8:49 PM
See ya down under, mates

Finally some movement on the Gaza strip!!

Quote:
Ambleside waterfront concept plan unveiled

How does snacking on fish and chips from a seaside bistro at Ambleside sound?

Or going for a stroll or bicycle ride for blocks along a continuous scenic path with places along the way to stop in distinctly themed Ambleside waterfront zones: heritage, kids, green, arts and marine.

After chipping away at it for 40 years West Vancouver district planners are ready to unveil the Ambleside Waterfront Concept Plan to the public, after receiving unanimous council approval on Wednesday.

“I think this is very exciting, an integrated vision for the waterfront will really enhance West Vancouver residents’ quality of life,” said West Vancouver director of planning Jim Bailey.

West Vancouver has taken a piecemeal approach to opening up the waterfront since 1975 when a policy with that mandate was formalized.

Consecutive councils stayed the course and to date have secured 30 out of a desired 32 private waterfront properties along Argyle Avenue between 13th and 18th streets for future public use. At the same time council adopted strategies in areas of arts and culture, shoreline protection and streetscapes, to name but three, to integrate into the overall plan.

Now there is a clearly defined vision for those six waterfront blocks in Ambleside. Improving connectivity for pedestrians coming from the commercial area to the waterfront is a key component of the plan.

“I do hear from people ... they really feel that they only need one car and are starting to walk about in a 5, 10, 15-block area,” said Coun. Bill Soprovich.

Soprovich’s concern with the waterfront plan is the removal of parking on Argyle to make way for the Spirit Trail, which he doesn’t think is significant enough in length to justify losing those parking spots.

Bailey said they would be looking at phasing the removal of parking on Argyle and finding alternative places for people to park, including a proposed underground parkade at 13th Street below the existing tennis courts.

Coun. Christine Cassidy called for a parking strategy that would help offset the cost of the Ambleside redevelopment. “You only have to ask the City of Vancouver how much money they are making off of their parking in their parks,” said Cassidy, adding she has learned White Rock’s waterfront parking revenues are close to $2 million.

Soprovich expressed apprehension about the size of any future buildings along the Ambleside waterfront.

There could be one or two new buildings, around the Ferry Building Gallery, that would be small in stature and keeping with the scale of existing buildings, one or two storeys, explained Bailey.

Soprovich also broached the question on many meeting attendees’ minds: “Did you have a consulting process with Hollyburn Sailing Club?”

Bailey said he has walked the sailing club site with the commodore to better understand their needs. “The Hollyburn Sailing Club to be clear is a valued, important part of this waterfront and we’ll be working with them as we move forward,” said Bailey.

The intention for the sailing club, said Bailey, is to have non-motorized boats, with plans for the new facility to include a bistro and public facilities.

Cassidy said she was pleased to see waterfront plans that include preserving a knoll west of the Ferry Building, adding there was a 3,500-signature petition to save the green space.

During question period West Vancouver resident Scenery Slater sparked a later debate with her plea to council about keeping the proposed Centre for Art, Architecture and Design, for which council has given conditional approval for the John Lawson Park parking lot site, as part of the waterfront consultation.

“To consult on this separately when so much of this waterfront plan is arts based doesn’t make sense,” said Slater.

Fielding the CAAD question, West Vancouver CAO Nina Leemhuis said the proposed centre, which is to be privately funded, has been talked about a lot but in isolation of any arts and culture strategy for the waterfront because more clarity is needed.

Council was divided on including CAAD as part of the public consultation for the Ambleside concept plan.

“To involve it now with the waterfront plan I think is wrong, it’s an entirely separate consideration,” said Soprovich. Cassidy disagreed, saying “It’s again what’s been happening in this community which is … the horse is always coming after the cart.”

Mayor Michael Smith talked about Ambleside waterfront achievements to date, including upgrades to the John Lawson Park playground. “And what we are talking about tonight is taking the good work from the past and adding more good work in the future to something where we have a complete plan for our waterfront,” said Smith.
- See more at: http://www.nsnews.com/news/ambleside....40v0H9ZG.dpuf

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 9:01 PM

I can't find the actual plan on their website. Maybe it's not up yet?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley