HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 1:28 AM

I like the thought of a stadium in Natomas near where arco is for many reasons. First, some of arco's parking lot could be used for the new stadium. Also it could bring in business on game nights taken away by the kings' move downtown. I think the railyards should be used primarily for housing and 10-15 years down the road if there is still enough open space, the railyards could be used for an NFL or MLB stadium

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 4:55 AM
Here we stAy

MLS stadium on the old Arco property wouldn't be a bad fit, and would eventually have a light rail stop once that project starts going. The idea of the Docks area hosting a stadium is interesting, even if it would be a little tight. But the railyards should absolutely stay with the approved plan, no matter how long it takes to build out. It's meant to be an addition to the downtown grid and is perfectly situated next to downtown for the two areas to feed off each others energy.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 4:24 AM

A soccer stadium the size of MLS at the moment would roughly be the same footprint as an NBA arena, maybe slightly larger, but about the same. We're not talking about building the massive 60k stadiums like some of the bigger clubs around the world, it would probably be built for around 20k. If you cruise around Google Earth, look at the footprint for Portland's Jeld Wen Field, Houston's BBVA Compass stadium, or Real Salt Lake's stadium. I think they could fit one in right where the arena railyards proposal was.

Natomas or Elk Grove would not be good fits. MLS has said they want stadiums built in the "urban core" and as close to mass transit as possible. Suburban stadiums are not what the league wants because they hamper attendance. The successful ones around the league are the downtown stadiums, and the ones that struggle are way out in the burbs. Of course, nothing new to anyone who knows some simple planning concepts, but something to address if Elk Grove thinks they can be a good location.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 7:19 PM

I disagree that Natomas will be unsuitable for MLS. I think MLS will be the perfect replacement after the Kings leave. Most MLS teams do not play in the "urban core" and Natomas is as close to urban core as you can get relative to many of the current MLS stadiums. Elk Grove is just too far out as you need to attract folks from Folsom, Citrus Heights, Roseville, Rancho, Woodland, North Highlands etc and Sac (Natomas) is more central to all outlying cities including Elk Grove.

I really hope Sac manages to land a team in the next 2 or 4 years. The window is closing fast as it's getting more expensive in terms of expansion fee and cost of stadium. I mean $100 expansion fee for New York City FC and also $300 mill for soccer only in DC? Wow. MLS needs another Northern California team to complement SJ earthquakes and 'cos the population base is here. Amazed that they expanded 3 teams in the Vancouver, Seattle, Portland corridor but none in Northern California with it's 15 million population base. I think it's when and not if Sacramento gets a team.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 7:36 PM

I'd love to cheer on the Sacramento Republic FC (really, that's the best name this city could have for a soccer team) up in Portland or Seattle, but a stadium should be in the central city. You can't build anything in Natomas because of the moratorium anyways. I don't think the Railyards would be the best place. I'm sure there's some plot of land in West Sac that might work.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 2:06 AM
Hindrance to Development

An NBA standard basketball court measures 94 feet by 50 feet. A soccer field measures roughly 345 feet by 225 feet--that's three times as long and twice as wide. That alone increases the footprint of a soccer stadium of equivalent seating area. The plan to put a basketball arena in the city-owned property in the Railyards (in between the passenger depot and the tracks) was so squeezed into place that the proposed plan cantilevered part of the arena over the tracks. So if there is to be a soccer stadium in the Railyards, it would have to be on the privately owned portion to the north of the Central Shops, rather than on the triangle of city owned land. Such a facility would still be quite close to the Amtrak depot (there is a separate entrance on the Shops side of the tracks) and the upcoming 7th Street/Railyards light rail stop on the Green Line.

The next question might be...how do we pay for it? From the sound of things, the basketball arena will have dibs on parking funds for the next few decades. And are soccer fields as multi-purpose as an enclosed basketball arena for concerts, rallies etc., and would two such facilities in the same neighborhood divide the potential market for such events?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
An NBA standard basketball court measures 94 feet by 50 feet. A soccer field measures roughly 345 feet by 225 feet--that's three times as long and twice as wide. That alone increases the footprint of a soccer stadium of equivalent seating area. The plan to put a basketball arena in the city-owned property in the Railyards (in between the passenger depot and the tracks) was so squeezed into place that the proposed plan cantilevered part of the arena over the tracks. So if there is to be a soccer stadium in the Railyards, it would have to be on the privately owned portion to the north of the Central Shops, rather than on the triangle of city owned land. Such a facility would still be quite close to the Amtrak depot (there is a separate entrance on the Shops side of the tracks) and the upcoming 7th Street/Railyards light rail stop on the Green Line.

The next question might be...how do we pay for it? From the sound of things, the basketball arena will have dibs on parking funds for the next few decades. And are soccer fields as multi-purpose as an enclosed basketball arena for concerts, rallies etc., and would two such facilities in the same neighborhood divide the potential market for such events?
Good points, and good questions. The money issue is the obvious one, because there certainly isn't extra money lying around. But, we are talking about something with a smaller price tag. The San Jose Earthquakes are right now building a brand new stadium with a price tag around $60 million(which their owners are paying for out of pocket, and with increase in ticket prices), and they're having lots of bells and whistles included in their interesting design. Montreal's stadium was pretty bare bones at a cost of $40 million, while some at the higher end of the league are $150-200 million:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer-specific_stadium

An MLS stadium would get used 17+ times a year for league play, more if the team makes playoffs, and any other "friendly", exhibition, or reserve team matches. If the group can lure Women's professional soccer (no team in CA yet, but teams in the pacific northwest), that's more games as well. Other uses would all depend. It could host college or high school football, college soccer. Not much other use than for things like concerts, graduation, political events? But we already have several venues so this would have to compete.

I know if I were a billionaire I wouldn't mind investing in MLS. That league has grown tremendously over the past decade, and it's on a trajectory to be one of the best soccer leagues in the world by 2020. Heck, the Seattle team just signed USA star Clint Dempsey to something like $24 million contract. Cities are clamouring to get in on the action before it really gets huge. I hope there are some smart investors out there who want to take a chance on Sacramento, no better time than right when downtown gets the new arena and revitalized!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 2:57 AM

I just went around measuring basketball and MLS stadiums, looking for a general sense of size. NBA arenas tend to be minimum 400x400', ranging higher up to 450', 500' diameter. MLS stadiums tend to be roughly 500x600'. So, certainly a bigger footprint. However, if what I understand of the railyards site is correct, they will be wiping out the existing Amtrak station, correct? If so, it does look like there's enough space there for a stadium in that spot, everything west of 5th street. If you measure a 500x600' box in Google Earth and try to position it in there, the possibility of something fitting in there does seem to be there!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
I just went around measuring basketball and MLS stadiums, looking for a general sense of size. NBA arenas tend to be minimum 400x400', ranging higher up to 450', 500' diameter. MLS stadiums tend to be roughly 500x600'. So, certainly a bigger footprint. However, if what I understand of the railyards site is correct, they will be wiping out the existing Amtrak station, correct? If so, it does look like there's enough space there for a stadium in that spot, everything west of 5th street. If you measure a 500x600' box in Google Earth and try to position it in there, the possibility of something fitting in there does seem to be there!
The train depot is not going anywhere. It's currently being remodeled in fact. Check out here: http://sacramentovalleystation.com/

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:10 AM
Here we stAy

A different potential spot in the railyards would be the giant green placeholder no one seems to quite know what to do with. Would be a great way to tie in catalyzing the railyards from the north and the rest of Township 9.

Could be a nice bookend to the 'box car' parks.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:41 AM
Hindrance to Development

I think that was supposed to be the site for the 2006 Measure Q/R arena. It is currently designated as a park (the only park in the Railyards other than the small "boxcar parks") but there is enough room there for a soccer field. That's kind of the space I was talking about in the earlier post. Next to the Green Line light rail station on 7th and still pretty close to Amtrak via the Central Shops. One thing to note is that the site you're talking about is just south of Sacramento's water treatment plant...although it looks like it is just barely upwind.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 10:21 PM

How about a possible MLS team sharing a venue with Sac State? Sac State has been looking for years to replace the bleachers and build a more permanent football facility to complement the Broad Fieldhouse. There is already a ton of parking available around Hornet Stadium and the infrastructure already in place. There has been quite a bit of interest around redevelopment around the 65th St corridor and this could help spur those plans. The cost could be spread between the MLS team and the University. Does anyone know if the field dimensions are compatible and if there are any soccer teams that share a venue with a football team in a similar fashion?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 11:53 PM

The Sounders and the Seahawks both play in the same stadium. I believe it's named Century Link Stadium nowadays

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 5:33 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I think that was supposed to be the site for the 2006 Measure Q/R arena. It is currently designated as a park (the only park in the Railyards other than the small "boxcar parks") but there is enough room there for a soccer field. That's kind of the space I was talking about in the earlier post. Next to the Green Line light rail station on 7th and still pretty close to Amtrak via the Central Shops. One thing to note is that the site you're talking about is just south of Sacramento's water treatment plant...although it looks like it is just barely upwind.
Water treatment, not waste water treatment, so not really a big odor issue. Like you say though, there does look to be enough space for a stadium and maybe even park space too, plus transit...can't find much of a better location.

As for Sac State, it's not a bad idea maybe for an interim spot, but MLS is looking (like others have said) for a downtown location and Hornet Stadium isn't really what MLS is looking to occupy, so new construction would be needed there too.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 12:41 AM

Major league sports are football basketball and baseball.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deno View Post
Major league sports are football basketball and baseball.
This is true for now,just until the USA catches up with the rest of the world. The top four richest franchises in the world are soccer teams and the fifth is the Yankees...why not have our city invest in this sport now while it is cheap to? In my opinion it can only help our region not hurt

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 3:59 AM

I heard a statistic somewhere that for Americans age 18-24 their #1 sport is football(NFL). You know what #2 is on their list? Soccer. I'm in my 30's and this trend is very apparent to me.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 2:34 AM

Slow down with the MLS talk guys. We already have an NBA team that needs a new arena! Lets focus on getting that taken care of 1st before moving on to another arena project for a sport that we don't even have yet

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 2:36 AM
Hindrance to Development

Unless, of course, it can be entirely financed with private dollars, in which case they can go right ahead.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 2:59 AM

Any data on how many MLS stadiums have been 100% privately financed? Or what the average cost for a stadium would be?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area