HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 11:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Incorporating modern additions to historic buildings is not gaudy. Perhaps you prefer the rather drab image of the Exchange that has not changed in decades, still appearing as an industrial district, NOT a vibrant neighborhood. You simply have no taste.
Wow. Not only are you pure pessimism, but now you are insulting other posters. Not cool at all.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
The Ryan Block was completely taken apart brick by brick and rebuilt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
There have been probably a dozen heritage buildings converted to lofts or condos in the last 5 years, bringing residents to an area that had almost none not that long ago. 370 donald, James Ave, market Ave, 100 princess, travellers bldg. Now the galpern bldg and bag factory. Not every reno needs to have the type of gaudy glass additions you seem to love so much. I think they're better without.
Does anyone know if there's still possible space available in the former retail units facing the Elgin lane that was just redone? (streetview is old) https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89913...7i13312!8i6656

I hope that if/when something happens there at the corner of Lily & James there are some spaces facing the lane... or else it just seems like a huge waste they just spent all that money if it will never be anything more than a lane.

I have the same questions/hope/feelings about places like this, hoping that we could have more cool back lane places like Gastown. I'd love to open a sweet bar in the former Ashdown Cafe if the space still exists. https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.89841...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 2:40 AM
BANNED

I suppose there is a possibility, but the struggle to fill vacant spaces on busy streets is troublesome, let alone focusing efforts on alleys. I agree alleys can be very cool spaces.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:59 AM
Heart of the Continent

Doors Open Winnipeg

Why do we act like nothing good ever happens here?

The reality is, 20 years ago, all this negativity may have a point. It really doesn't now.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post

Doors Open Winnipeg

Why do we act like nothing good ever happens here?

The reality is, 20 years ago, all this negativity may have a point. It really doesn't now.
Exactly. There are two or three posters here (pretty sure most here can figure out who they are) who are nothing but negative and pessimistic. Of course we should always strive to make things better, and we are. Nothing is perfect, but some people only see the glass as empty. It's really quite sad.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 5:22 AM
BANNED

Everyone here is entitled to their thoughts on what they want Winnipeg to be. For those who are content with what they see as progress, you do not get to accuse others of being negative just because they want a more dynamic, vibrant downtown. Moreover, I do not have the right to rebuke others for insisting that there have been changes aplenty downtown, despite my contention that they have hardly made an impact, so the same courtesy should be extended my way. I do not call some of you obtuse because you are not realizing what I do, so I think it is fair not to call me negative.

I see numerous surface lots, neglected buildings, high vacancies--both office and retail, a lack of fine hotels, and decrepit roads/curbs/boulevards. I get to believe this based on what I see.

Can anyone find a 360 in not only the Exchange, but all of downtown Winnipeg as charming as this? Beautiful landscaping including manicured lawn, pride in buildings, pleasing sidewalks, a wonderful mixture of architecture (color and texture--not gray and beige)? I do not think so, and again, I get to want for Winnipeg what I want.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.96643...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.96640...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.96515...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by Urban recluse; Dec 4, 2015 at 5:11 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 12:09 AM

^ The first link one of the buildings has the main floor units vacant, there's just a canopy there, and the second link has a massive surface lot at one corner.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 1:09 AM
BANNED

I do not see the vacancy, and a small surface lot in such fine condition is not so appalling, LOL. What I see is civic pride in streets and sidewalks, and building owners who truly treasure the city's heritage buildings.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Everyone here is entitled to their thoughts on what they want Winnipeg to be. For those who are content with what they see as progress, you do not get to accuse others of being negative just because they want a more dynamic, vibrant downtown. Moreover, I do not have the right to rebuke others for insisting that there have been changes aplenty downtown, despite my contention that they have hardly made an impact, so the same courtesy should be extended my way. I do not call some of you obtuse because you are not realizing what I do, so I think it is fair not to call me negative.

I see numerous surface lots, neglected buildings, high vacancies--both office and retail, a lack of fine hotels, and decrepit roads/curbs/boulevards. I get to believe this based on what I see.

Can anyone find a 360 in not only the Exchange, but all of downtown Winnipeg as charming as this? Beautiful landscaping including manicured lawn, pride in buildings, pleasing sidewalks, a wonderful mixture of architecture (color and texture--not gray and beige)? I do not think so, and again, I get to want for Winnipeg what I want.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.96643...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.96640...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.96515...7i13312!8i6656
If I may, you are irritating people because you have a tendency to be unrelentingly negative and to ignore what progress has been made. A balanced view would be to appreciate what does exist, and what has evolved, and then move on to talk about all the wonderful things you want to see happen. You earlier described the Exchange district as drab. It's that kind of thing that people wonder about. The Exchange is an amazing treasure with many incredible buildings that don't necessarily need glass skyscrapers shoved inside them to be revitalized. Maybe start with that.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 1:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
If I may, you are irritating people because you have a tendency to be unrelentingly negative and to ignore what progress has been made. A balanced view would be to appreciate what does exist, and what has evolved, and then move on to talk about all the wonderful things you want to see happen. You earlier described the Exchange district as drab. It's that kind of thing that people wonder about. The Exchange is an amazing treasure with many incredible buildings that don't necessarily need glass skyscrapers shoved inside them to be revitalized. Maybe start with that.
Thank you, Ando. This is precisely what I was referring to.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 1:43 AM
BANNED

Notwithstanding my affinity for injecting modern touches, it is sad that so many buildings are neglected. Fond of downtown Grand Rapids though I am, there are many more cities with an impressive inventory of heritage buildings which are just as nicely renovated. For the most part, the Exchange is drab. Can you not see in those three views what Winnipeg lacks? I happen to be a proponent of painting buildings; I love color. To you and others, the level of achievement in downtown revitalization efforts may be rejoiced, but at this point, I expect to see at least one street as rejuvenated as my examples.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 3:26 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Can you not see in those three views what Winnipeg lacks?
Nope. Doesn't look as good as the Exchange to my eyes.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 4:54 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Nope. Doesn't look as good as the Exchange to my eyes.
I agree with you. The Exchange is far more natural and is far from dirty or unappealing. There's almost an cerebral element to certain streets in the exchange.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 4:01 PM
BANNED

What are some thoughts on incentives to entice building owners to clean their buildings, replace windows, etc? For instance, Goodwill Industries wants to have its building at 70 Princess cleaned, but it costs about $75,000, which they cannot afford. I imagine the old bag who owns Werier does not want to spend a figure in the same ballpark (larger building however). Does CV/the city/province assist, or should the market dictate? As a national historic site, should building owners be given grants by the federal government for such work?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 5:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
What are some thoughts on incentives to entice building owners to clean their buildings, replace windows, etc? For instance, Goodwill Industries wants to have its building at 70 Princess cleaned, but it costs about $75,000, which they cannot afford. I imagine the old bag who owns Werier does not want to spend a figure in the same ballpark (larger building however). Does CV/the city/province assist, or should the market dictate? As a national historic site, should building owners be given grants by the federal government for such work?
theres a grant that went out this for store front work.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 5:45 PM

they should do holiday lighting like the Europeans in the exchange district:

http://www.worldofatravelholic.com/w...hristmas-3.jpg

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Jeff, what a truly spectacular inspiration for some of the streets in the Exchange, in every sense, not just the lighting, but the density and condition of the buildings. Beautiful! I would be content if any of the Exchange resembled Halifax, a city experiencing almost no growth, yet has seen a lot of investment in its downtown. Waterfront Drive could resemble Lower Water Street in Halifax if development is not only expedited, but designs and building materials are more refined than H20. Further developments should include a lot more stone, brick, etc.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64955...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by Urban recluse; Dec 5, 2015 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 6:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
theres a grant that went out this for store front work.
Yes, but I am talking larger expenses: complete cleaning, new windows, etc.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Jeff, what a truly spectacular inspiration for some of the streets in the Exchange, in every sense, not just the lighting, but the density and condition of the buildings. Beautiful! I would be content if any of the Exchange resembled Halifax, a city experiencing almost no growth, yet has seen a lot of investment in its downtown. Waterfront Drive could resemble Lower Water Street in Halifax if development is not only expedited, but designs and building materials are more refined than H20. Further developments should include a lot more stone, brick, etc.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64955...7i13312!8i6656
there is the street grid for it on a few blocks, why not do it on albert, rorie, princess, McDermott.. solidify Winnipeg as the xmas capital again!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 10:33 PM
BANNED

It would be charming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan