HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 5:11 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
From the San Antonio Report article:

The city's leadership did this to themselves. The statement above has been a problem for the airlines for decades.
Instead of renovating terminal A, they should already be talking about demolishing it immediately after the new terminal is constructed instead of throwing lipstick on a pig. It will be a wasted $200M. SA just cannot get out of this small city mindset and it is so frustrating. They talk about thinking big and finally doing big things like the new Terminal, then decide to quite literally throw a paint job on the very reason they are building the new terminal in the first place.

It should be noted that Southwest is going through some major changes right now in terms of their model and could very well go to a hub a spoke model very soon. Does San Antonio want to be just another spoke on another airlines wheel? Something city leadership should consider before its too late. The opportunity is there to give Southwest Airlines their own brand new terminal which I believe they rightfully deserve as the cities largest airline.

Last edited by texboy; Sep 23, 2024 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Instead of renovating terminal A, they should already be talking about demolishing it immediately after the new terminal is constructed instead of throwing lipstick on a pig. It will be a wasted $200M. SA just cannot get out of this small city mindset and it is so frustrating. They talk about thinking big and finally doing big things like the new Terminal, then decide to quite literally throw a paint job on the very reason they are building the new terminal in the first place.

It should be noted that Southwest is going through some major changes right now in terms of their model and could very well go to a hub a spoke model very soon. Does San Antonio want to be just another spoke on another airlines wheel? Something city leadership should consider before its too late. The opportunity is there to give Southwest Airlines their own brand new terminal which I believe they rightfully deserve as the cities largest airline.
Exactly.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 11:00 PM

SAT Statistics

Growth is slowing, but year to date the airport is up over 5% to over 7.3M Pax.

Quote:
In August 2024, the San Antonio International Airport’s passenger numbers reached 904,837. This represents the busiest August in the history of the airport and the first time the month’s numbers surpassed the 900,000-passenger mark for August. The previous busiest August for the airport was 2023. 2023 was the busiest year in SAT’s history with nearly 10.7 million passengers flying through the airport’s two terminals. This trend has continued with August 2024 maintaining the streak of back-to-back record-breaking months that started in May 2023. Comparing the numbers to the year prior, the airport experienced a 2% increase in passengers. Several airlines flew more seats to San Antonio this month than the same month in 2023. The airlines with the largest increases in service year over year included Spirit Airlines (NK), Frontier Airlines (F9), Alaska Airlines (AS), Aeromexico (AM), Viva Aerobus (VB), and Volaris

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Exactly.
I wouldn’t say they rightfully deserve anything. From what I understand they were offered the ability to just pay for a new terminal and it be all theirs but they declined. They sure the heck didn’t have a problem forking out money in Dallas and the new terminal at hobby.

I can’t stress how important it is to have lounges for the business customers. I’m sorry as a frequent business traveler myself I can tell you that other VPs and CEos that I know often make judgement on a city quickly based upon its airport and the amenities along with direct flights. The people that actually make decisions about corporate expansions and growth are often the people who spend the most amount of their time in an airport. It has to be a good impression.

Southwest is right in that we’re just a second tier city that doesn’t have a clientele currently that values a premium product. But that’s the backwards thinking that will always keep us back from our potential. We don’t have to always be that city. If southwest really wants to expand here and make us a larger focus city then let them help pay for a new terminal A or atleast contribute more towards it. If they leave town oh well (they won’t) other airlines will eventually fill the gap. Without SW, I could see an opportunity of a return of airlines that left in recent years, Breeze and JetBlue. The economics would make more sense and in a growing city thet could support the routes left by SW.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJonTx View Post
I wouldn’t say they rightfully deserve anything. From what I understand they were offered the ability to just pay for a new terminal and it be all theirs but they declined. They sure the heck didn’t have a problem forking out money in Dallas and the new terminal at hobby.

I can’t stress how important it is to have lounges for the business customers. I’m sorry as a frequent business traveler myself I can tell you that other VPs and CEos that I know often make judgement on a city quickly based upon its airport and the amenities along with direct flights. The people that actually make decisions about corporate expansions and growth are often the people who spend the most amount of their time in an airport. It has to be a good impression.

Southwest is right in that we’re just a second tier city that doesn’t have a clientele currently that values a premium product. But that’s the backwards thinking that will always keep us back from our potential. We don’t have to always be that city. If southwest really wants to expand here and make us a larger focus city then let them help pay for a new terminal A or atleast contribute more towards it. If they leave town oh well (they won’t) other airlines will eventually fill the gap. Without SW, I could see an opportunity of a return of airlines that left in recent years, Breeze and JetBlue. The economics would make more sense and in a growing city thet could support the routes left by SW.
I agree with your points on the business travelers, I myself am one of those people that like a lounge. The new terminal should be for the legacy carriers that want to put lounges in. Thats long term thinking imo that will help grow business travelers. I also do agree that Southwest... if they REALLY want their own new terminal... need to fork over the money to at least cover some of the cost of a rebuilt Terminal A. But the city needs to think big here, and show Southwest that they know they are their biggest airline.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 4:34 PM

Am I mistaken that the overall plan is to have the entire airport rebuilt by the mid to late 2030's. They are supposed to finish up Terminal C in 2028, then rebuild B as the central processing area, and then rebuild A. Are the renovations all they are planning for A? I thought the idea was to create one contiguous airport facility behind security.

I was thinking the renovations in Terminal A are a short term fix, with the eventual idea being to replace it in the coming decade. If so then I think Southwest is being a little short-sighted. If they wait they will have a whole new terminal all to themselves. If the renovations are all then I think that is a major miss on the part of San Antonio leadership.

The terminal layout that SATX23 posted does not look like what I had seen on the master plan. Granted that was preliminary and would be subject to change. Is the complete rebuild of A no longer part of the long term plans?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
Am I mistaken that the overall plan is to have the entire airport rebuilt by the mid to late 2030's. They are supposed to finish up Terminal C in 2028, then rebuild B as the central processing area, and then rebuild A. Are the renovations all they are planning for A? I thought the idea was to create one contiguous airport facility behind security.

I was thinking the renovations in Terminal A are a short term fix, with the eventual idea being to replace it in the coming decade. If so then I think Southwest is being a little short-sighted. If they wait they will have a whole new terminal all to themselves. If the renovations are all then I think that is a major miss on the part of San Antonio leadership.

The terminal layout that SATX23 posted does not look like what I had seen on the master plan. Granted that was preliminary and would be subject to change. Is the complete rebuild of A no longer part of the long term plans?
I believe thats still the plan, but I'm very confused as to why they would throw $200m at Terminal A right after Terminal C is completed instead of planning for Terminal A's demo and rebuild.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 6:53 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Yes...WN is SAT's busiest air carrier. However, their market share is less than 50% (it's around 38%-40%, I think). To compare what WN has done at Love or Hobby is a waste of time. They are not comparable - as WN has a 95% and more than 90% market share at both of those airports, respectively.

SAT will not, and should not, throw money at an airline without concrete assurances. Nor would it be wise for SAT to over-commit/over-build the airport. All that will do is increase the fees and thus, turn away airlines and potential routes. Making it more expensive to fly SAT.

Additionally, WN is currently fighting financial and leadership battles. An activist investor is trying to eliminate their entire c-suite due to underperformance. Therefore, I'd be shocked if they will put a substantial amount of money toward anything other than a known home run.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Sep 27, 2024 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 9:20 PM

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx23 View Post
Am I seeing wrong? Looks like 18 gates now in total...

Old Posted Sep 26, 2024, 9:38 PM

This document, exhibit M, discusses the renovations to terminal A&B

https://sanantonio.primegov.com/Port...5-6da02d2668b1

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 12:51 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Am I seeing wrong? Looks like 18 gates now in total...
Where do you get 18? There is clearly 17 jetways/airbridges depicted.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Where do you get 18? There is clearly 17 jetways/airbridges depicted.
Chill, I miscounted.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 5:30 PM

https://sanantonioreport.org/southwe...-with-lawsuit/
San Antonio Report

I feel like this only delays the construction, which imo is what they've wanted to do this whole time to the city. SA increased it's contribution to Terminal A by $100M to accommodate SW - which is a lot of money. SW eventually turned down that offer. Just not sure where this goes from here.

I think they know they can play strong ball with a mid-size airport and have their way. But if I'm not mistaken they've done this in the past with Chicago and Houston. Maybe they end up beefing up Stinson Airport to accommodate SW and the city can have two airports.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 6:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkill34 View Post
San Antonio Report

I feel like this only delays the construction, which imo is what they've wanted to do this whole time to the city. SA increased it's contribution to Terminal A by $100M to accommodate SW - which is a lot of money. SW eventually turned down that offer. Just not sure where this goes from here.

I think they know they can play strong ball with a mid-size airport and have their way. But if I'm not mistaken they've done this in the past with Chicago and Houston. Maybe they end up beefing up Stinson Airport to accommodate SW and the city can have two airports.
I'd be fine with that. I never fly Southwest anyway. Can't deal with the cattle call boarding process. I know they say they're going to change that, but whatever... let them have their own airport and clear up some space at SAT.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I'd be fine with that. I never fly Southwest anyway. Can't deal with the cattle call boarding process. I know they say they're going to change that, but whatever... let them have their own airport and clear up some space at SAT.
Everyone always mentions this, and I experience the same issue on American Airlines. Even though we all know our seat assignments, people still rush to board right after the first-class passengers, as if they must be seated first.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 6:54 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Everyone always mentions this, and I experience the same issue on American Airlines. Even though we all know our seat assignments, people still rush to board right after the first-class passengers, as if they must be seated first.
Everyone always mentions it because it's true. On American and every other airline, you have an assigned seat waiting for you. That's a big difference. Let those few impatient people in your boarding group rush ahead. Who cares? You have an assigned seat and they're not going to take it. I don't want to rush and fight for a seat when I can just calmly board and have my assigned seat waiting for me to sit in it for the whole flight. Anyway, enough of this. It's not that big a deal.

Back to the airport...

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx23 View Post
Thanks for posting that floorplan of the new terminal. Do you know if there is a larger version somewhere?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2024, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkill34 View Post
San Antonio Report

Completely dumb. Southwest needs to show they actually have a concrete plan at this point to grow the market in SA. $300M is alot to spend, especially on A. Reading through the Airports proposal though, Terminal A is going to feel cavernous in comparison to what it is today with how they plan to move security and expand the boarding areas.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Then maybe we need a mix of red and blue council members.
This city is blue. You don't have to like it, but it is.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
All these comments are going to get nuked for being off topic, but I wanted to say that maybe if conservatives stopped running drunk drivers for Council this "problem" would fix itself
Yeah, because there is absolutely no history of democratic drunks on our City Council.

Or perhaps you're too young to know.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio