HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 5:25 PM
Modulator

Where are you getting this information?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerlin View Post
Nationwide owns Rivulon in Gilbert. Nationwide already has connections with Gary Bettman, the NHL thur the Columbus Blue Jackets and Nationwide Arena. The Town of Gilbert wants the Coyotes. Scottsdale council doesn't want the Coyotes and Mesa would need a public vote. Tempe is still #1 and I believe they are going to still build it in Tempe on the same site. The Coyotes and the City of Tempe did not have to have a public vote because the Coyotes are paying 100% to build it themselves. The City of Tempe Council just put it up for a vote as a courtesy to it's residents https://www.rivulon.com/master-plan/
Putting the Coyotes in Gilbert would be the same as having them in Glendale - it'd put them in a far flung corner of the valley. Eventually you'd hear all the same complaints about the location after the team fails to put a quality product on the ice.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2023, 2:06 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Where are you getting this information?
It's something somebody made up and turned into a telephone game of "fact."

There isn't a snowball's chance in a sauna that Gilbert's considering this, and even if they were, they're not going to subsidize it the way the Coyotes want.

The fact that the most intensive land uses in Gilbert are 4 story buildings surrounded by acres of surface parking should have set off anybody's BS detector about this.

Last edited by combusean; Jul 2, 2023 at 4:52 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2023, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Putting the Coyotes in Gilbert would be the same as having them in Glendale - it'd put them in a far flung corner of the valley. Eventually you'd hear all the same complaints about the location after the team fails to put a quality product on the ice.
But their's alot more people in the SE Valley. Mesa has 500k, Gilbert has 280k, Chandler has 280k, Tempe has 200k, Queen Creek has 100k, San Tan Valley has 100k and Ahwatukee has about 100k. That's over 1.5 Million people (The Buffalo Sabers whole entire market is just 1 Million people and is shrinking every year) and yet another 500k more new people by 2030 are projected to be moving to Gilbert, Queen Creek, Santan Valley, Mesa, Superstition Vistas with about each gaining around 100k more new people. I still believe their going to build it in Tempe, same site, South Pier or maybe the Salt River Tribal land NW of the Loop 101 & loop 202 interchange bordering McClintock Dr & McKellips Rd would be perfect too but has not been mentioned

Last edited by Summerlin; Jul 2, 2023 at 5:12 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2023, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerlin View Post
But their's alot more people in the SE Valley. Mesa has 500k, Gilbert has 280k, Chandler has 280k, Tempe has 200k, Queen Creek has 100k, San Tan Valley has 100k and Ahwatukee has about 100k. That's over 1.5 Million people (The Buffalo Sabers whole entire market is just 1 Million people and is shrinking every year) and yet another 500k more new people by 2030 are projected to be moving to Gilbert, Queen Creek, Santan Valley, Mesa, Superstition Vistas with about each gaining around 100k more new people. I still believe their going to build it in Tempe, same site, South Pier or maybe the Salt River Tribal land NW of the Loop 101 & loop 202 interchange bordering McClintock Dr & McKellips Rd would be perfect too but has not been mentioned
I don't buy that: Peoria - 200k, Glendale, 250k, Surprise 150k, Buckeye 120k + Goodyear - 120k + Avondale - 100k - you have roughly the same. Maybe more counting areas of Scottsdale & PHX that are within an easy drive of the area. The way I view it - it wasn't the amount of people around the immediate area - it's just that those in the SE valley stopped making the trek when the team sucked. And they sucked (and still do) for a long time due to how the team was being run. If an area with over 1M people can't fill a 18k arena regularly it says something about the product in said arena. That won't change if it's in Gilbert, Scottsdale or anywhere else. Glendale has no problem filling that arena for other events.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 5:22 PM

Suns had officially moved on from Bally Sports and partnered with Gray Television to broadcast locally, in addition to OTA. As of today, it's official that the DBacks have also moved on from Bally Sports and games will be taken over by MLB.

Excited that I can finally get to see DBacks games and will be able to stream with no blackouts. Hopefully DBacks follow a similar route as Matt Ishbia and the Suns.

How it's linked to Chase Field? Without the guaranteed TV contract money, my guess is DBacks stay in downtown and renovate Chase Field. This has always been my guess even before Diamond Sports declared bankruptcy. Derrick Hall had promised to share their final plans by this summer but I'm sure this bankruptcy put a wrench in the process or at the very least, will force their hand.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Suns had officially moved on from Bally Sports and partnered with Gray Television to broadcast locally, in addition to OTA. As of today, it's official that the DBacks have also moved on from Bally Sports and games will be taken over by MLB.

Excited that I can finally get to see DBacks games and will be able to stream with no blackouts. Hopefully DBacks follow a similar route as Matt Ishbia and the Suns.
How will you be able to watch/stream the Dbacks games now? I haven't watched a single second of their games in the past couple of years because of Bally's. I have youtubetv, will they be on there?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
How will you be able to watch/stream the Dbacks games now? I haven't watched a single second of their games in the past couple of years because of Bally's. I have youtubetv, will they be on there?
MLB.TV. It's $19.99 a month

https://twitter.com/mlb/status/16813...-9xto6gli9jVMg

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
It's free the first week!!!! Watched the game last night at home for first time since the Bally's take over!!!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 3:50 PM

So now Arizona Coyotes confirm attempt to buy a land in Mesa.

Coyotes owner expected to purchase land in Mesa According to the release from the Coyotes, the land could be the potential site for a sports arena and entertainment district for the team.

Arizona Coyotes confirm attempt to purchase land for new arena in Mesa

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...d/70558504007/

Let the speculation begin!!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 8:16 PM
Near Generational

It has to be the parcel on 202 at Alma School Road, doesn't it?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 8:24 PM

Which parcel is that though?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 10:23 PM
Modulator

The article mentions 41 acres. The only places I can think of around that size are the aggregate site off Alma School/202 and the old Fiesta Mall location. I checked around for any other parcels of that size that are for sale and there's only 1 listing for 53'ish acres off Thomas and the 202.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 10:44 PM

I think the Coyotes were wanting to be off or near a body of water from the Tempe Town Lake location...but maybe Mesa will become the next landmark from landfill!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
It has to be the parcel on 202 at Alma School Road, doesn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Which parcel is that though?
Quote:
I think the Coyotes were wanting to be off or near a body of water from the Tempe Town Lake location...but maybe Mesa will become the next landmark from landfill!
Yeah, AZ Sports cites a PBJ article confirming it's the Alma School/202 site:

https://arizonasports.com/story/3523...for-new-arena/

They also mention that the plan is to have several sites under contract before making a final decision, so I don't think this is for sure the site. But as an admittedly biased Mesa resident, I would love it there. It would create a sort of 'district' with Sloan Field and Riverview there. It would hopefully make expanding the street car to Mesa more attractive. And I commute along the canal bike path there so I'd be able to take great pictures

Old Posted Aug 9, 2023, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

They also mention that the plan is to have several sites under contract before making a final decision, so I don't think this is for sure the site. But as an admittedly biased Mesa resident, I would love it there. It would create a sort of 'district' with Sloan Field and Riverview there. It would hopefully make expanding the street car to Mesa more attractive. And I commute along the canal bike path there so I'd be able to take great pictures
Again though is this the rock pit that's there? Where is there enough acreage around there?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 3:15 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post

Thanks for this. Kinda wish this site was closer to the LRT, it's a pretty far walk for those using that mode of transport.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 3:49 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Thanks for this. Kinda wish this site was closer to the LRT, it's a pretty far walk for those using that mode of transport.
It might be close to a proposed streetcar route if that project goes forward, though.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Again though is this the rock pit that's there? Where is there enough acreage around there?
Rock pit is a total of 41 acres. For reference, the Tempe landfill was 46 so not much of a difference.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 4:57 PM

Wouldn't that site take forever to be prepped for development though?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest