HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 2:21 AM

Last edited by JamieDavid Exchange; Mar 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:36 PM

Last edited by JamieDavid Exchange; Mar 29, 2013 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 12:11 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
Just walked thru Portage Place; there's 12 total vacancies on the second level alone. That mall is doomed.
Our of how many stalls? Thunder Bay's downtown mall has a 35% occupancy rate or so since a couple offices and banks moved into newer buildings.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Just walked thru Portage Place; there's 12 total vacancies on the second level alone. That mall is doomed.

Maybe instead of a "mall" downtown, why not zone Graham "Mall" as an outdoor pedestrian strip lined with stores and restaurants with patios from Fort to the Bay? The noise from the buses can't be an excuse cause this concept works in Minneapolis on Nicollet Mall.
The Nicollet Mall is not much different than our downtown malls/retail. It is busy with the commuting office workers during the day, at night not so much. It is obviously much nicer and designed more thoughtfully, but having lived in Minneapolis for a year in university, I don't think I've ever been offered the opportunity to buy drugs more than when I spent time in downtown Minneapolis (Regina around Cornwall Centre would be second, our Portage Place drug dealers don't advertise as much maybe they don't have to). I found their (Minneapolis) police presence to be much more friendly and effective. Lots of cops on a beat, cops at every corner at night. Didn't stamp out the drug dealers though.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 12:50 AM

Signs up at the Plesis IGA saying ownership is selling to Sobeys affective feb 24 in anticipation of the Sobeys opening across the street in the spring.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 1:43 AM

Quote:
That space has been leased out and is currently being renovated into office space. Yay. Gonna be called Portage Place Offices soon. I know a lot of you think that's better than what's going on there now, but I think every downtown needs a retail district to have people around after 5pm. If its not going to be at Portage Place, were else can it be?
It might suck for the next little while, but for the long term, its not certain that its forever doomed.

There was a time where the Exchange was also "doomed" but its certainly turned around quite nicely from that (and is only on the up and up)

Portage Place is still a functional mall, and still has some important stores for people who live in the area that don't seem to be doing too bad.

It will be OK I think. That's all just my opinion, though.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 1:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Signs up at the Plesis IGA saying ownership is selling to Sobeys affective feb 24 in anticipation of the Sobeys opening across the street in the spring.
The building went up fast, any clues as to what else will go on the Sobey's site?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The building went up fast, any clues as to what else will go on the Sobey's site?
Looking at the Hopewell developers web site for Kildonan Green there is nothing else yet committed but one of the sites available is suitable for a drive through. Any speculation on who would want to take a drive through in that area?

http://www.hopewelldevelopmentcorpor...2012-email.pdf

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 3:24 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

One of Hopewell's big wheels is a Winnipeg boy.

http://www.hopewellcommunities.com/c...rad-wright.php

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Looking at the Hopewell developers web site for Kildonan Green there is nothing else yet committed but one of the sites available is suitable for a drive through. Any speculation on who would want to take a drive through in that area?

http://www.hopewelldevelopmentcorpor...2012-email.pdf
A contractor I know who's working in the area said he heard it was a Tim hortons. But he wasn't positive

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 5:40 PM

I think that Hopewell and Tim's have a working relationship as it seems that in Winnipeg a number of the Hopewell projects have a Tim's onsite.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 6:36 PM

Long time creeper, first time poster. I've worked in the industry for almost 15 years here in Winnipeg and around MB and finding this site a while back is a huge plus for me!!

I live in Kildonan Greens development and I've heard that along with the Sobey's we're either getting a Tim Horton's or a Starbucks. Rumor has it that a liquor store is also joining the site. I think it would be a decent spot to add a gas station to compete with the Husky. Other than that I'm not sure what would fit or be needed in the community...maybe a pub or another restaurant.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 7:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_hoser View Post
Long time creeper, first time poster. I've worked in the industry for almost 15 years here in Winnipeg and around MB and finding this site a while back is a huge plus for me!!

I live in Kildonan Greens development and I've heard that along with the Sobey's we're either getting a Tim Horton's or a Starbucks. Rumor has it that a liquor store is also joining the site. I think it would be a decent spot to add a gas station to compete with the Husky. Other than that I'm not sure what would fit or be needed in the community...maybe a pub or another restaurant.
Welcome aboard northern_hoser. Wonder if a FF restaurant will also accompany the site, there seems to be enough continual traffic going by the site.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_hoser View Post

Anyone know what rights franchise owners have for Tim's in terms of territory? Seems to me that area Plessis and west is saturated with Tim's and another one just opened up at 59 and Headmaster for commuters heading north or west on the Perimeter out of the Lakeside Meadow, Harbour View South area.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
Anyone know what rights franchise owners have for Tim's in terms of territory? Seems to me that area Plessis and west is saturated with Tim's and another one just opened up at 59 and Headmaster for commuters heading north or west on the Perimeter out of the Lakeside Meadow, Harbour View South area.
As far as I know there is not territory protection but Tim's often will offer a nearby qualified store owner the location if they want it and can afford it.

If you get a chance the book Double Double by Douglas Hunter is a non corporate sponsored view into the world of Tim Horton's and how they operate.

Thinking of the drawing area of this proposed Tim's. the nearest Tim's would be the in store one at the Safeway Canterbury Park shopping center. The ones on Regent would have a different draw and so would the one on Dugald Rd.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Welcome aboard northern_hoser. Wonder if a FF restaurant will also accompany the site, there seems to be enough continual traffic going by the site.
on both the developers and real estate agents web sites there is a proposed FF location at the South end of the main building. For some reason I think of a Subway taking that location as its not set up for a drive-thru.

Subway seems to be the most prolific in adding new locations so that's whey them come to my mind.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 11:54 PM

Don't know if anybody saw this but both the Grant Park and Garden City Square shopping centers are getting a new owner as the existing one is selling out.

The new owner (H & R Reit) currently owns both the Panet Road and Sargent Ave buildings that Rona has stores located in.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
on both the developers and real estate agents web sites there is a proposed FF location at the South end of the main building. For some reason I think of a Subway taking that location as its not set up for a drive-thru.

Subway seems to be the most prolific in adding new locations so that's whey them come to my mind.
There's a subway in the strip mall across the street.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 12:55 PM

I just noticed that Neechi Foods is partially opened on Main. Some shelves are stocked, from my view on the bus, it looks like gum and pop. But people where inside shopping.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:24 PM

According to the Free Press today Canadian Tire is closing all Sports Mart stores. This means the one Winnipeg location remaining, Unicity, will be closing. There was a previous discussion on this forum about the sister brand, Sportscheck, opening a store in same retail center.

source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan