HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do we want to explore possible move?
Yes, we'd like to explore a possible move 30 66.67%
No, we want to stick with what's familiar 6 13.33%
Stick to SSP, but confirm plan B EAA 9 20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 9:32 PM

Pretty clumsy entrance to the Ottawa site and I am an Urbantoronto user. It seems that you cannot cross from city to city discussion easily.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 10:49 PM

It seems that Skyrise Cities Ottawa section simply needs moderation and reorganization, and I'm pretty sure that is something they would support us in.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 8:18 PM

I don't see why the shift to Skyrise means we won't be having a section for Suburban. We just need to communicate that we want that and we can have it there. I for one do enjoy the suburban talks because there are some great projects and it is very important how our suburbs develop. More density will cause the city to grow within those limits too. I also very much enjoy the HFR/HSR and aviation/airplane talk as well. We should be housing something for our groups there as well.

The switch isn't very hard, just make an account and try using the site. There are gripes of course, but then you can make note of those to Skyrise can implement the updates / changes we need as a community.

One gripe I have is returning back to the Ottawa forum once you enter into a project discussion, there should be an easy way to follow a link to the certain discussions (ex. Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion)

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 8:28 PM

UrbanToronto tracks everything the the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area. Both urban and suburban. No reason not to do the same here.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
I don't see why the shift to Skyrise means we won't be having a section for Suburban. We just need to communicate that we want that and we can have it there. I for one do enjoy the suburban talks because there are some great projects and it is very important how our suburbs develop. More density will cause the city to grow within those limits too. I also very much enjoy the HFR/HSR and aviation/airplane talk as well. We should be housing something for our groups there as well.

The switch isn't very hard, just make an account and try using the site. There are gripes of course, but then you can make note of those to Skyrise can implement the updates / changes we need as a community.

One gripe I have is returning back to the Ottawa forum once you enter into a project discussion, there should be an easy way to follow a link to the certain discussions (ex. Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion)
Agreed.

Wondering if we could get a Inner Greenbelt forum, an Outer Greenbelt forum and a Gatineau forum instead of just one Buildings forum. That's something we've been talking about for a while here. Wondering if anyone else has thoughts.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 11:28 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Agreed.

Wondering if we could get a Inner Greenbelt forum, an Outer Greenbelt forum and a Gatineau forum instead of just one Buildings forum. That's something we've been talking about for a while here. Wondering if anyone else has thoughts.
I'm pretty sure we could organize it the way we want to, once we have the power to do so. We could pretty much mirror what we have here, in order to keep it as familiar as possible to ease the transition.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I'm pretty sure we could organize it the way we want to, once we have the power to do so. We could pretty much mirror what we have here, in order to keep it as familiar as possible to ease the transition.
If we can replicate the format, I see nothing but positive in the changeover.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 3:19 PM

No doubt there will be a bit of drop-off as some people don't want to switch over, but in the long run I think it will grow engagement to be on a forum that is much more user-friendly. I lurked on this site for a long time without posting because it was SO difficult to start posting photos. On the new site, I can take a photo while out on a walk and upload it straight from mobile with no trouble.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 12:12 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
Will look into it.
Thanks Ed.

I've noticed that another similar community, Skyscraper City, also runs on XenForo, but it's much more readable. It's using the font "Inter" @ 14px, #383a3b on a white background.

You can see it here: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forums/toronto.3730/

This darker text in particular makes it easier to read than the "Roboto Light" @ 15px, #333333 on a white background used at Skyrise Cities.

Another layout choice that makes SSC easier to read that SRC is the restricted thread panel width. This saves the reader from having to turn their head from side to side to scan the overly wide content panes that are used in SRC (granted this is likely only an issue on large screens, but that's what I used on my desktop system).

There have also been a couple of comments about the lack of breadcrumb navigation at SRC. I see that SCC has this, and it really does simplify the task of jumping between cities or sub forums within a city (eg. Home > Forums > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario Local Forums > Toronto > Toronto Developments).

Given the common underlying software platform, it probably is possible to change the skin on Skyrise Cities, either globally, or via individual user preference, to provide an improved user experience like Skyscraper City does.

Have any members here used Skyscraper City for any length of time? I'm curious what your feeling is about the ease of use over there.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Gonna be honest - if this site disappears, I will probably disappear too.
Come on, you can still stick around just for the Canada section. You’ll miss Proof Sheet’s rants about CHEZ 106. That’s what I’m going to do anyway. I mostly just lurk on the Ottawa sub forum to keep myself informed about local developments. Still not sure I’ll keep doing that regularly if the forum were to move though. I admit I’m not exactly a fan of the format of Skyrisecities. The lack of breadcrumbs to facilitate navigation, as noted above, is a big turn off for me.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2024, 4:35 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Come on, you can still stick around just for the Canada section. You’ll miss Proof Sheet’s rants about CHEZ 106. That’s what I’m going to do anyway. I mostly just lurk on the Ottawa sub forum to keep myself informed about local developments. Still not sure I’ll keep doing that regularly if the forum were to move though. I admit I’m not exactly a fan of the format of Skyrisecities. The lack of breadcrumbs to facilitate navigation, as noted above, is a big turn off for me.
Oh yea, are you in the SSP Discord group?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 1:21 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I'm not leaving here, I am just saying I'm probably not going to move to a new site.

To be honest, I'm more active on the Canada section these days than the regional Ottawa one.

click for more ancient threads started by harls.

Last edited by harls; Jan 8, 2024 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 1:37 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

(edit)

Old Posted Jan 8, 2024, 8:38 PM

For moderators on the new site, I don't mind taking that on again. Would be great to keep Rocketphish as well if they're willing.

If Waterloo and Harls don't seem to be interested in moving, we'd need replacements. I would nominate Harley613 (hoggytime on Skyrise). urbottawa has also been very active creating threads on Skyrise.

Full disclosure, I'm likely to be active on both SSP and Skyrise from here on out, unless it becomes a ghost town down here.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 9:52 PM

We've started working on the backend stuff. A little while longer.

Next step is adding the moderators. I'll reach out individually.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 10:14 PM

I'm being set up as a mod on SRC. Thank you for your support Rocketphish and J.OT13.

Last edited by Harley613; Jan 12, 2024 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 12:51 AM

Just signed up for SRC with the same username. I’m definitely more of an SSP lurker than a forum regular, but this community has meant a lot to me over the years and I hope we can keep our little group active in one form or another.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 4:31 PM

I really don't see what's wrong with this place.

Is it the siding?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I really don't see what's wrong with this place.

Is it the siding?
Photo uploads are the main problem as I see it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 7:45 PM

Photo uploads, gifs, emojis, easy media sharing vs. clunky old UI, server issues . These are my incentives for change. If we can replicate the menu structure on SRC, I think it is totally worth the change. I'll still be on here for the Canada forum, but I much prefer dumping my media and updates on SRC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion