HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 7:54 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There is something crazy in the American West re. perceived distance and road trips.

We basically limit weekend road trips to 2 hours. But we have friends in Montana who do 6-7 hour weekend road trips. I don't get it. We think 100 miles away is far, they think driving from Bozeman to Salt Lake, Seattle or Denver is close. They do this all the time for long-distance flights. I would never think of even going to Philly, 80-90 miles away, for a flight.
As a Seattle resident, I once got a hotel in Tacoma so I could properly tour it for more than one day. There's an express bus at least a few times per hour all day, plus a commuter train and Amtrak. It takes an hour to go about 35 miles on the bus.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 8:17 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
So was last summer. The drought is over. Don't pretend like you're an expert on California--because you're clearly not.
You have to admit though, this HAS been an unusually mild summer season. We've had a tropical storm and a couple days of light drizzle in the last two weeks. I live inland (Pasadena area), and there were only a few days in August that reached a high above 95F.

In Dallas however, it's been above 95F nearly every day since mid-June.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
I am not sure how to respond since I literally have no idea what you mean or what you're saying.
It's true that people move for different reasons weather be jobs, ideology or just escaping the heat. Yes I know Texas isn't perfect, not by a long shot

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 9:41 PM

Tech bros can't take the Texas heat? softest humans ever.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 10:59 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Too warm for their Patagonia vests.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 11:11 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Too warm for their Patagonia vests.
Go touch some snow

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 11:36 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
The idea that you should tough your way through an uncomfortable environment perplexes me.

For a few days on a trip, to keep others happy? Sure. But to live there permanently?!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
The idea that you should tough your way through an uncomfortable environment perplexes me.

For a few days on a trip, to keep others happy? Sure. But to live there permanently?!
Most of the whole continent is pretty freaking miserable at least part of the year.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 1:50 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Go touch some snow
Grew up with it. No thanks.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 2:38 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Most of the whole continent is pretty freaking miserable at least part of the year.
I'd say a minimum standard is being able to walk 15 minutes to work and have that generally be ok.

In Seattle that worked for me when I had a regular job. A few times a year I'd show up soaked (with a baseball hat; we don't use umbrellas here), and maybe one or two mornings would involve snow, a problem on hills, but the rest of the time the worst thing would be some chill due to wearing too light of a jacket.

This is possible in a number of cities.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 2:44 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

And the idea that you should move hundreds, or even thousands of miles away from your blood because it gets cold during winter perplexes me.

For a few days, or even weeks, on a trip, to see some other corners of the world? Sure. But to live far away from your family permanently over some fucking weather? No thanks.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 2:58 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:

I will happily take 70F and being called soft over 100+F for 2+ months straight and some SSP clout all day long.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 3:02 AM
Never Dell

You've said you like cold weather.

Millions of people move every year in the US. We know weather is a big part of how they think.

Also we're talking tech workers. This is inherently a migratory group (*). They recruit worldwide, and most employees are transplants. Some amazing numbers came out for for Seattle techs once. I forget the details, but I think the percentage of people in technical roles at Microsoft(?) that were originally from the metro area was in the single digits. (*I'm talking software developers etc., not roles that can be easily recruited locally.)

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 3:38 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
You've said you like cold weather.
I do.

But a Chicago winter ain't a day at the beach.

There are challenges that come with it.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Again, I do think the author was being overly exaggeratory but his overarching point still stands. Like I don't doubt you can get a lot of nice scenery and nature in Texas, but relative to California, it's not going to be quite the same, and it's not going to be enjoyable for large portions of the year due to weather. As you know from having lived in Santa Barbara, the mountains, the forests, the coast, the deserts, it just hits different in California and is more accessible. Sure, there are times where you are limited due to wildfire smoke or heat waves, but for the most part, you aren't going to be restricted for multiple consecutive months. It's like someone coming from Manhattan and expecting the same level of urbanism in downtown SF.

You just have to reset your expectations. There are reasons why California is more expensive.
You make good points. I hate it especially when politicians make fun of California, because it is a truly great place in so many ways. Makes me wonder if the idiot politicians have ever set foot in the state.

One thing I will always remember about Santa Barbara is walking outside first thing in the morning and noticing that the air had a citrus smell about it. It was wonderful. The only thing I didn't like was the fog or overcast until about noon during the early summer.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 4:01 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
You make good points. I hate it especially when politicians make fun of California, because it is a truly great place in so many ways. Makes me wonder if the idiot politicians have ever set foot in the state.

One thing I will always remember about Santa Barbara is walking outside first thing in the morning and noticing that the air had a citrus smell about it. It was wonderful. The only thing I didn't like was the fog or overcast until about noon during the early summer.
My mom and San Francisco. She watches 'coverage' of it on Fox and they portray San Francisco as if it were New York from Escape from New York (which would be pretty fucking awesome actually) and I have to explain it to her that most of the city is just fine; vibrant and safe and not at all how it is portrayed in the media. She won't believe me.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 4:18 AM

Texas vs California rivalry, don't really take this article too seriously. Texas pays for bad Cali PR and vice versa.

Climate is the big issue now and is coming on the heels of an historically brutal summer. This summer in Central Texas has been by far the worst and most alarming. Austin's normally perennially green hills are starting to get some brown patches from the drought and heat. Water is becoming more of an issue.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 12:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
My mom and San Francisco. She watches 'coverage' of it on Fox and they portray San Francisco as if it were New York from Escape from New York (which would be pretty fucking awesome actually) and I have to explain it to her that most of the city is just fine; vibrant and safe and not at all how it is portrayed in the media. She won't believe me.
Welcome to the media whipping boy club, San Francisco!

Chicago has been a member since the days of Al Capone.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
YThe only thing I didn't like was the fog or overcast until about noon during the early summer.
LOL, that's my favorite Coastal CA weather pattern. I love May grey/June gloom. I try and plan visits around that season.

Beautiful, brisk and refreshing, perfect for exercise/recreation. No need for sunglasses, hat or sunscreen. Also, the beach hordes are hiding. CA sun is so strong and unrelenting from a Northeast/Midwest perspective, so the morning break is perfect.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 1:14 PM

Quote:
I know someone who works in Detroit (and lives very close) who seriously claims that SF is the most dangerous place on earth, and they would never have their family anywhere near the city. This person will dine out, attend concerts/sporting events, etc. in Detroit with no issues. Apparently Detroit is completely safe, but Palo Alto is Mad Max. It has to be the ultimate alt-right "American carnage" narrative.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions