HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
Looks like an attractive project at first glance of the design summary.
I live down the street from this project. I really don't like it. I'd rather taller and more slender towers. This looks too stubby. This looks like it could be some kind of government campus. I'd prefer something that looks more like something you would find downtown and is worthy of such a major intersection. I also don't like how it looks a street level on the Vanier Parkway side. But I guess it's better than nothing.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:28 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Resubmitted, with a new architect. Get ready to cry...

2705460 Ontario Inc. is proposing the redevelopment of the lands at 112 Montreal Road and 314 Gardner Street as an 870-residential unit, four (4)-building complex including one (1) 8-storey mixed building fronting onto Montreal Road, one (1) 20-storey building located internal to the site, and two 30-storey buildings fronting onto the Vanier Parkway. Commercial uses are proposed in the ground floor of the building fronting onto Montreal Road.

The proposed development includes a mix of uses including small-scale commercial uses in a mid-rise building along the Montreal Road traditional Mainstreet, residential apartment buildings supported by semi-public and private amenity spaces, all arranged and designed to mitigate impacts and respect the character of the existing area.

The various building heights are described as follows:

Mid-rise along Montreal Road: Building A is proposed as a mid-rise, 8-storey building with the short side oriented towards Montreal Road with ground-floor commercial uses. The tenant spaces are oriented to both Montreal Road and an outdoor multi-purpose space for patios, and commercial spill-over as well as pedestrian and cycling.

High-rise along Vanier Parkway: Buildings B1 and B2 are both 30-storey tower on well-defined 6-storey residential podiums. Building B2 is fully oriented to the Vanier Parkway, with a significant tower setback from the podium. Building B1 is oriented short-side to Vanier Parkway to reduce the overall massing of both buildings along the Parkway and provide a 17m separation between podiums to create a large private amenity space.

High-rise on the west portion of the property: Building B3 is proposed as a lower, 20-storey building on a lower 4-storey podium oriented to frame the internal portion of the site as a landscape courtyard and vehicle area.

Architect: RLA Architecture

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...0-0019/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Last edited by rocketphish; Jun 3, 2021 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:12 AM

I give up

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:15 AM
ハルウララ

lol

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:47 AM
Living With My Mother

Nice flowers.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
Nice flowers.
Always the optimist

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 1:10 AM

If we're trying to find a silver lining, at least there's a building with commercial space on Montreal Road. And that building could end if looking decent. Varied heights-ish.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 10:15 AM
National Capital Region

I like the layout better than the previous proposal. More amenities for residents and a building on the Montreal Road frontage

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I like the layout better than the previous proposal. More amenities for residents and a building on the Montreal Road frontage
I agree. Site plan wise, I think this is overall better. Surface parking irks me, however.

Design wise, I preferred the old proposal, but it did feel a bit outdated and somewhat similar to the Feds' Cybersecurity Building at 1625 Vanier Parkway.

If I had to choose, I would take this new one based exclusively on the active front along Montreal Road.

Fingers crossed that the corner gas station will eventually be redeveloped with something more interesting. Over the years, I was disappointed it was not included in this project, but that may end up being a good thing.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 1:03 PM

literally anything more dense in that area will make me happy.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 2:04 PM

Slightly varied heights (wish they did too with the 2x 30 story towers), more density, better than existing use and overall not horrible design for the area.

Is it cool, different, or innovative? No.
But it's not ugly and definitely an improvement for the area.

If this was proposed for Richmond/Scott around Westboro/Hintonburg though, I'd say otherwise as this an exact copy/paste of other proposals already in the area.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 2:36 PM

It's not a groundbreaking design but I prefer this to the previous proposal. I actually don't hate this RLA design as much as previous ones. As someone else said, the previous proposal looked outdated. I would've been embarrassed to have had that built in the neighbourhood. My only problem with this proposal is could be better on ground level along Vanier Parkway. That's a lost opportunity. But this plus the other project going up on Vanier Parkway on the other side of Montreal Road will be a huge improvement for the area.

On a side note, the basketball court is an interesting addition. Ottawa's basketball courts are usually cheap. It would be nice if this was made of more quality materials. People would travel from across the city to play there.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 3:26 PM
You call that a knife?

the most vocal locals on the vanier facebook groups were already up in arms about the eastview mall re-dev + the original 19 floor plan for this one so i'm sure a further increase in density and height will be well received by the community

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 3:44 PM

I wonder what the apartment prices will be in these new developments as the close proximity to downtown is prime location yet being right on Montreal Rd is less then desirable... do they cancel each other out? Regardless I can't wait to see Montreal Rd turn into an expansion of downtown should be fun to see go up.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 4:39 PM

Is there some sort of rule in Vanier that requires developments to be a trio of towers that are basically carbon copies of each other at various heights?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
On a side note, the basketball court is an interesting addition. Ottawa's basketball courts are usually cheap. It would be nice if this was made of more quality materials. People would travel from across the city to play there.
Funny you mention that cause I noticed that pretty close to this development they're putting in a new court just north of the Rideau Sports Centre. Assumedly it's to replace the one further north of the baseball fields - here's hoping it's actually of decent quality, since the old one definitely wasn't.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Mathieu Fleury
@MathieuFleury

Join us June 16, 6:30pm to learn about the 112 Montreal rd development application!
-
Joignez-vous le 16 juin, 18h30 pour en savoir plus sur l’application du 112 ch Montréal!

@ACVanierCA

@Quartier_Vanier

3:00 PM · Jun 14, 2021·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/MathieuFleury/st...13975887355908

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 11:50 PM

Does the cladding at least meet with the approval of the Commission on Cladding this time?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Does the cladding at least meet with the approval of the Commission on Cladding this time?
Once the cladding commission are finished the window police will take over wanting to ensure that no windows overlook other windows on adjacent properties and then the balcony patrol will be wanting to know the measurements of all balcony screens and their materials and so on and so on.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Once the cladding commission are finished the window police will take over wanting to ensure that no windows overlook other windows on adjacent properties and then the balcony patrol will be wanting to know the measurements of all balcony screens and their materials and so on and so on.
When does Shadow Prevention Division #26 show up?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa