HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Thanks for the pics. I didn't know that this was of cinder block construction. Interesting.
Imagine how solid those walls must have been! Looked solid anyway!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 7:30 PM

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 3:02 PM

Crane is going up this morning.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 2:14 AM

From today:

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 2:42 AM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 5:58 PM

This one seems to have no activity on site for over 6 months

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post
This one seems to have no activity on site for over 6 months
?? They have been busy at it daily, creating road closures/lane drops on surrounding streets all summer and fall. They've recently dismantled the tower crane, installed all the exterior panels, been framing interior walls, and most recently this week windows have arrived and started to be installed.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 4:37 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
?? They have been busy at it daily, creating road closures/lane drops on surrounding streets all summer and fall. They've recently dismantled the tower crane, installed all the exterior panels, been framing interior walls, and most recently this week windows have arrived and started to be installed.
It has faux brick (panels)! The church that was demolished was field stone.
Brick veneer (unsightly with no longivity)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
The church?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 8:01 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
The church?
Correction......former residence for Catholic Nuns.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Are you suggesting that a much larger new building that replaces an old one that had a fieldstone exterior finish must replicate that?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 1:09 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Are you suggesting that a much larger new building that replaces an old one that had a fieldstone exterior finish must replicate that?
Not at all! What I am suggesting, is that generic design and fake brick panels are dragging this town down!

Ie, it is common place to have a very nondescript building occupy prime real estate. I just don't think it has to be that way.

Last edited by Empire; Dec 11, 2023 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I think "must" is a strong word, however it would be nice if there was some effort to bring some uniqueness back to that location.

FWIW, that fieldstone exterior always made that building stand out. Can't speak for others but for me it was a landmark building in the area, such that it would have been nice if some of it could have been repurposed as an homage to what was there before.

Most people probably don't care or notice, but for those of us who do, it feels like a disappointment to go from this to some off-the-shelf prefab brick panel, that will just make it disappear into the sea of nothingness that we are buidling much of in Halifax these days (and have been for a while... Clayton Park Special anyone?).

But... density. At least there will be more places for people to live that we so desperately need, even if it isn't interesting to look at.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 11:19 AM

I sat on the Design Advisory Committee when this development came through. I think it was actually our first one. The one thing that the entire committee agreed on and asked of the developer was to carry the fieldstone into the base of the new building. We all recognized that it was an important part of the existing streetscape and that it should be kept.

Unfortunately the way that committee was set up meant all we could do was offer suggestions on what was essentially a completed design and then give it a rubber stamp approval with the small hope that the developer might take on any of our suggestions.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I sat on the Design Advisory Committee when this development came through. I think it was actually our first one. The one thing that the entire committee agreed on and asked of the developer was to carry the fieldstone into the base of the new building. We all recognized that it was an important part of the existing streetscape and that it should be kept.

Unfortunately the way that committee was set up meant all we could do was offer suggestions on what was essentially a completed design and then give it a rubber stamp approval with the small hope that the developer might take on any of our suggestions.
I think that position, while perhaps understandable given the purpose of the committee (which in itself was open to question, but that's out of scope for this topic) seems very reductive if any building proposed would be subject to that same sentiment. I can see wanting some sort of higher-quality finish, but being so specific really strikes me as way out of bounds.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 3:16 PM

All things considered, the brick prefab looks pretty decent up close in person. Would have liked to see more quality, but I'll take the density.

To me, the gold standard for this scale of development remains the building where the old church on Novalea just before the Hydrostone was. St. Joseph's maybe? Not sure of the name.

The build quality, the way it meets the street with townhouse style units AND commercial with lovely restaurant patios, the use of modern materials and re-incorporation of the old church facade. Beautiful building.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
All things considered, the brick prefab looks pretty decent up close in person. Would have liked to see more quality, but I'll take the density.

To me, the gold standard for this scale of development remains the building where the old church on Novalea just before the Hydrostone was. St. Joseph's maybe? Not sure of the name.

The build quality, the way it meets the street with townhouse style units AND commercial with lovely restaurant patios, the use of modern materials and re-incorporation of the old church facade. Beautiful building.
There's different ways of doing brick precast, and I think this way is nice. I think it's facing brickets (thin real bricks) set in the casting bed when made which still gives the mortar effect. What doesn't look good is what's on the on on the new building at South and Hollis (SoHo I think its called), which is red precast, stamped with a brick pattern, but no attempt an making the mortar effect..

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 3:22 AM

One of the projects I've been forgetting to stop at for awhile ... until today!

HalifaxDevelopments.ca (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 9:49 AM

I'm starting to wonder about the church across the street from this one. Man that church lot is probably worth a lot right now. I'll bet we will see an even bigger building go up on the church side.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musquodoboit County View Post
I'm starting to wonder about the church across the street from this one. Man that church lot is probably worth a lot right now. I'll bet we will see an even bigger building go up on the church side.
The church down the street (St. Theresa's) is a beautiful edifice that like so many other Catholic churches these days is in dire need of repair with no business case to do so and so sits empty, unused, and decaying. That is on a large lot which seems to be heading towards an inevitable sale. That would be an incredible site for a development that would hopefully be designed to leave some of the open space around the building that currently exists and incorporate some of the original stonework on the church building. I saw a news story recently where the neighbors are already starting the "Too TALL!!!" chant even though no concepts have been released.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth