HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 1:02 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Of course, the location of our new NHL arena is going to play a big role in that discussion too lol.
???

It would be cool for London to have a NHL team since it is almost equidistant from Detroit and Toronto. Still even with a million people in the metro I don't think it's enough to warrant a team. There already fans in London and a team here would just take fans away from the nearby franchises.

Also with the addition of Seattle, 32 teams are in the league which is probably the max. Someone would have to move here. Quebec City would be quite angry if the next Canadian franchise doesn't go to them.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 2:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

there is no NHL future in London, alas. Hamilton and QC are the cities most deserving. I cannot believe that the GTA only has one team (NYC area has three...yes it is a bigger market population wise, but I reckon that there are at least as many hockey fans in the GTA as NYC metro).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
???

It would be cool for London to have a NHL team since it is almost equidistant from Detroit and Toronto. Still even with a million people in the metro I don't think it's enough to warrant a team. There already fans in London and a team here would just take fans away from the nearby franchises.

Also with the addition of Seattle, 32 teams are in the league which is probably the max. Someone would have to move here. Quebec City would be quite angry if the next Canadian franchise doesn't go to them.
I was being sarcastic.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 8:20 PM

Populations likely to grow at unprecedented rate in London CMA - https://www.immigration.ca/canada-to...00000-per-year

Housing and rental costs aren't likely going anywhere but higher.

Will we continue to have urban sprawl paving over more farmland or build up and at higher densities and fill in brownfields? Will the NIMBY's go away?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 1:52 AM

Even more good news for London's population growth is the CRBE just releaased it's report on "tech talent" in NA. There were 75 cities rated and London blew all of them out of the water when it came to employment growth in tech in the last 5 years. A whopping 67% growth for London, and the next Canadian city was Edmonton way back at 53%.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 11:18 AM

It's good news for sure, but we have to keep it in perspective. Since London's base of tech workers was low, it makes the growth look huge. Similar to real estate, London lagged most Ontario cities for a long time and now we are catching up which makes the growth look big, when really it's just catchup.

Hopefully the tech sector continues to grow.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 12:36 AM
Sanity merchant

link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Even more good news for London's population growth is the CRBE just releaased it's report on "tech talent" in NA. There were 75 cities rated and London blew all of them out of the water when it came to employment growth in tech in the last 5 years. A whopping 67% growth for London, and the next Canadian city was Edmonton way back at 53%.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 2:31 PM

StatsCan is doing the first data release of population info Feb 2022 from the 2021 Census. We will have official population info then.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 7:36 PM

Remember those will be official StatsCan numbers which are always lower than reality due to undercount. The rule that StatsCan uses is that they are about 3% under actual population from when the census is taken.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 8:57 PM

Agreed the numbers will be May 2021 dated. Feb 2022 the numbers will have changed. Still the highway signs will likely be updated showing the Feb 2021 numbers. The exciting thing to see is just how much the population has changed since 2016. If the suspicions of the pundits are right? Did London make the largest population growth jumps in its history? We will find out in Feb.

Quote:
Remember those will be official StatsCan numbers which are always lower than reality due to undercount. The rule that StatsCan uses is that they are about 3% under actual population from when the census is taken.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 2:49 PM

We should have a pool about what the new signs will go to.

I'm going with 428,000!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 11:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

uwo

428,000 sounds about right. I would say that you are probably right within +/-7000, 95% of the time.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:17 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
Agreed the numbers will be May 2021 dated. Feb 2022 the numbers will have changed. Still the highway signs will likely be updated showing the Feb 2021 numbers. The exciting thing to see is just how much the population has changed since 2016. If the suspicions of the pundits are right? Did London make the largest population growth jumps in its history? We will find out in Feb.
I think he was referring to the fact the Census, despite being so comprehensive, does miss some people so StatsCan has to make adjustments.

Inevitably, however, some people are not counted, either because their household did not receive a census questionnaire (for example, if a structurally separated dwelling is not easily identifiable) or because they were not included in the questionnaire completed for the household (for example, the omission of a boarder or a lodger). Some people may also be missed because they have no usual residence and did not spend census night in any dwelling. In contrast, a small number of people may also be counted more than once (for example, students living away from home may have been enumerated by their parents and by themselves at their student address).
https://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/hp/estima

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 4:28 PM

So the MLHU has a specific number. Is that an early leak of actual census data? Look at the table down below in the infograph... So the city is now 430,828 and you can toss in another 64,000 with the partially contiguous surrounding bedroom communities!

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...M0ZDZhOWQwZiJ9

Update the signs!!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 9:09 PM

I would suspect the MLHU is using the estimates as compared to the actuals which are not scheduled for release until Feb 2022. I doubt any organization gets early access to the actuals.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1710013501

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallerIsBetter View Post
So the MLHU has a specific number. Is that an early leak of actual census data? Look at the table down below in the infograph... So the city is now 430,828 and you can toss in another 64,000 with the partially contiguous surrounding bedroom communities!

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...M0ZDZhOWQwZiJ9

Update the signs!!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 5:52 PM

I was driving to Kitchener yesterday and I noticed that they updated their sign on king street, but not the 401 sign. I suspect that the numbers are available to various agencies.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:36 AM

According to StatsCan 2020 population estimates Metro was 551k and the City 430k.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 6:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Any word when highway signage will be updated? The numbers are very old.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 6:43 PM

I remember when I was a kid the signs were updated every year but I think only every 5 now.

I expect the sign to be about 425,000 which is slightly less than the pop estimate for 2020. The city {like all of Canada} has grown very slowly over the last year and the census usually has an undercount of 2-3%.

Either way you cut it, London has experienced it's fastest growth rate since the 80s and is one of Canada's fastest growing cities and rising significantly faster than both the national and provincial average. The city hitting 500k by the end of the decade is now a given and Metro could be at 650k.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 6:02 PM

Quote:
I remember when I was a kid the signs were updated every year but I think only every 5 now.

I expect the sign to be about 425,000 which is slightly less than the pop estimate for 2020. The city {like all of Canada} has grown very slowly over the last year and the census usually has an undercount of 2-3%.

Either way you cut it, London has experienced it's fastest growth rate since the 80s and is one of Canada's fastest growing cities and rising significantly faster than both the national and provincial average. The city hitting 500k by the end of the decade is now a given and Metro could be at 650k.
I remember back in 1992, prior to annexation, there being a population sign on Wharncliffe Road just north of Southdale showing a population of 300,000. That was, of course, where city limits was back then. Boler Road coming into Byron had a similar sign.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy