HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 8:10 PM

Wow, evidence of construction crews accutally moving. The empire state building almost went up faster than a 12 story tower in halifax lol.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 3:44 AM

View of the crane from the MacDonald Bridge (photo by me):

Old Posted Jul 4, 2009, 11:27 PM

July 3, 2009

These were taken last night by me. Sorry about the bad quality but I haven'e figured out how to control the fog yet

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 3:20 AM

I'm amazed at the speed of this one. I'm gonna say it will be topped out by year end for sure.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 3:58 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's weird how there's such a huge range in terms of rate of sales and construction of projects in the downtown area. Some are marketed for years and then take forever to go up while others are announced later and finish much earlier.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 8:27 PM

Is that necessarily good though, that others start later and finish earlier? I think those are the smaller ones, right?

I thought someone around here once argued that smaller projects getting the go ahead in larger numbers can weaken the larger projects from ever going through by placating demand quicker. Maybe that's just my bad memory though...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 9:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Depends on the specific projects I think. In general I believe that the smaller projects are much better for the city, provided that they are of a decent quality, though it's nice to have some big ones.

It is also a little complicated in that it's definitely not a zero-sum game where the number of units is always the same. People might choose to live downtown instead of in the suburbs if there are better or cheaper projects, or may even move to the city or buy a second home in Halifax if there is something they really like. On top of that, there are many different types of projects - rental vs condos, etc.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilan8888 View Post
Is that necessarily good though, that others start later and finish earlier? I think those are the smaller ones, right?

I thought someone around here once argued that smaller projects getting the go ahead in larger numbers can weaken the larger projects from ever going through by placating demand quicker. Maybe that's just my bad memory though...
Of course its dependant on the scope of the individual projects and whats involved in each but ultimately it depends on how many small projects there are near the larger project. Take the North-End for example;

Recent small projects include Agricola@North, Hydrostone Place, 5552 Kaye, ect. The most recent large project is Gladstone Ridge. While most of the Gladstone is complete there still are parts that haven't started construction. I can't say for sure but other projects like 5552 Kaye might be reducing the need for the rest of Gladstone which is why it is not completed yet.

The way I see it is each neighbourhood has a demand level. If the demand is reduced by smaller projects the larger ones will eventually be affected but it takes a lot of small projects to stall a large one, especially if the large one is more desirable. Unfortunately the demand for Peninsular Halifax is not large at the moment so projects like the Trillium will stall smaller projects in the vicinity (note the lack of proposals in the South-End). On the other hand small(er) projects like 5552 Kaye will allow others of the same scale to continue to be built until the demand rises again (note Hydrostone Place, North@Agricola, ect) but projects of a larger scale will stall after a certain number of small ones (note Gladstone and Trinity).

But Someone123 is correct in that smaller projects can be better for a city since the add density to a broader area and probably scale better. But some large projects are good at the same time.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 5:58 PM

I didn't have time to stop yesterday but I did notice that they are now working on the second storey.

All I have to say is DAMN is this going up fast.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 9:07 PM

July 12, 2009

Photos by me today;

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 5:03 PM

I"m surprised at how fast this one is going up

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 4:59 AM

Photos by me yesterday (Monday);

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 1:00 PM
Fizzix geek

re: that last pic... I certainly hope they aren't just sticking plywood shims between the floor plates and the load bearing columns! Although given the quality of much of the construction in this city I wouldn't be surprised!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 10:57 PM
Arnoldin Form Work Ltd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I"m surprised at how fast this one is going up
They have a good form work contractor

Last edited by 1976; Jan 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 11:06 PM
Arnoldin Form Work Ltd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
re: that last pic... I certainly hope they aren't just sticking plywood shims between the floor plates and the load bearing columns! Although given the quality of much of the construction in this city I wouldn't be surprised!
That is just plywood left over from the forming of the slab deck that has yet to be pulled down. This lot is extremely out of square and therefore the building is out of square as the owner wanted to make use of as much of the land as possible. The plywood you're referring to makes contact with the columns at odd angles when forming the "out of square" slab and therefore has to be cut at odd angles to close the slab forming in around the columns. I can see how it may seem that the plywood is sticking in passed the column face but I can assure you that it is not.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 5:31 PM

Another update by me yesterday;

Oh and this is my 3'000th POST!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 12:30 AM

So I was by this recently and they are currently working on the seventh (final) floor and have some steel framing up on the lower floors.

Its looking pretty good so far.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 3:41 PM
we built this city

Seventh and final floor looks to be complete and they are installing the framing for the windows/walls on the lower floors... I hope they don't use low quality materials on the exterior, but I assume they will until I see something.

At least these guys move fast... this one is definitely the fastest development of this size to go up.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 11:12 PM

While construction is proceeding well, there is a definite lack of info about the project available online. First question: does anyone know if these are condo residential units or are they rental apartments?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 11:49 PM
Arnoldin Form Work Ltd.

Residential Condos for sale. However there is some retail rental on the first two floors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth