HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 2:02 AM
Meh

Well. As long as this beauty gets built with the current design, that's all I care.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 5:11 PM
James

I wonder what company from San Antonio he was from.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 2:22 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I wonder what company from San Antonio he was from.
ATXboom here on the forum passed an email address along to me to contact them. He had mentioned that he emailed them to find out when it would start. I was interested in finding some heights for the building, so I asked if he could tell me the address. I emailed that person at 21Chotels.com. I guess she forwarded it to this other person. He emailed me back and asked me to call him. His email signature said that he was the President and CEO of 21C Museum Hotels. His name is Michael Bonadies.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 5:01 AM

Hey Guys.... I am working in Louisville and had dinner this week at Proof....the restaurant at 21C Louisville. So of course I did some asking around about the Austin project. Word is they will be breaking ground later in the year. Perhaps Nov or Dec. Didn't seem to be any doubt that it would move forward! Looks like there will be some design tweaking... but same architect and same feeling. Didn't get any other details.

BTW......the restaurant and bar were incredible. The food and service were wonderful! Willmake a great addition to Austin.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 5:11 AM

I wonder if 'design tweaking' means value engineering ?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 5:24 AM

Good to hear, Michael. Really looking forward to seeing that one get built. It sounds like such an "Austin" kind of building.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 5:27 AM
Meh

Cool. I love the idea of a free museum there. I suspect I'll be visiting it often, and dragging the family there.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 4:52 PM

A Few other tidbits.... They have been very invested in creating a downtown culture in L'ville. They have actually been instrumental in getting local farmers connected to a famers market that they will be creating on public space of their new tower in L'ville. The location is great. They have saved a few facades on Mainstreet here.... 19th C CAST IRON BULDINGS... the main entrance to the museum level will be on main, even thought the tower sits a block off. If you look at the rendering of the building, there is a section that is at an angle. That is an elevator that moves at an angle that will take folks up to the museum.

Can't say enough about the project and the hope it gives me for the Austin project. Some really smart folks behind this would understand both the Art and Hospitality world.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 3:57 PM

From Main Austin Forum

DTAustin
Registered User Join Date: Aug 2006

21c

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to a friend of mine, it is common knowledge in the broker world that 21C will be moving to a site on the SW corner of Red River and Ceasar Chavez. The Whitley space will get a mid-rise, mid-level hotel in the 20-24 story range. This should be announced to the general public sometime in April.

DTAustin
View Public Profile
Send a private message to DTAustin
Find all posts by DTAustin
Add DTAustin to Your Buddy List

#2653 Today, 10:32 AM
ATXboom
Registered User Join Date: May 2007

^^^ Very interesting. Would both of these projects be funding and run by the 21c organization? ...essentially splitting the 2 components out.

I hope the Chavez/Red River site gets something very similar to the original proposal. Love that design.

Not sure who the final owner of the hotel on the Whitley site will be, or who is developing it. I'll try to get that info.

Other than knowing that the building will move, the other details are sketchy.
I think the new design will be different. I think it will have two towers, one for the hotel and one for the residence. I think the hotel will be built first, with the residence coming later (you know what that means - may not happen).

DTAustin
View Public Profile
Send a private message to DTAustin
Find all posts by DTAustin
Add DTAustin to Your Buddy List

#2655 Today, 01:08 PM
ATXboom
Registered User Join Date: May 2007

^^^ Sure that is not the Hotel Van Zandt?? That is going in near that intersection and is supposed to be connected to The Shore I believe.

Last edited by ATXboom; Mar 17, 2008 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 5:50 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

This is beginning to get confusing.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 8:02 PM
Member since 2001

I'm not sure if this information has come from a valid source...

If 21C's condo tower is moving to the old "Red River" site, they will still have to submit a zonging change request - the current zoning states CBD and an 8:1 FAR. And, no request has been submitted for that site, as of yet.

Also, 21C is going before the council this Thursday requesting a 20:1 FAR for the Whitley site (300 San Jacinto). That's far too much to ask for if they are intending to put a 20-24 story tower on the property. An 8:1 (current) to 15:1 would probably suffice. Heck, the W (Block 21) has an FAR of 12:1.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 11:25 PM

Ah... to repeast here.... no mention of moving the site from the folks I just talked to in L'ville. Tweaking the design, yes.... moving no. They are rather excited by the location.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 10:58 PM
Meh

As austlar1 suggested, I've moved the economy posts to their own thread in this section of the forum.

Go here: 'Economy Discussion Thread'
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=1#post3424413

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 4:18 PM
Member since 2001

Fyi:

21c's zoning change request was postponed, again, to the April 24 City Council meeting. The postponement was petitioned by the applicant (i.e., Brazos REI Poe).

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 9:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
21c's zoning change request was postponed, again, to the April 24 City Council meeting. The postponement was petitioned by the applicant (i.e., Brazos REI Poe).

This seems to be the first of the major downtown high rises that haven't yet started construction to start looking less likely (I don't count any T. Stacy announcement because I have hard time taking him seriously). But even if there is a major economic meltdown, the projects already under construction will make for an impressive skyline.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Inside View Post
This seems to be the first of the major downtown high rises that haven't yet started construction to start looking less likely (I don't count any T. Stacy announcement because I have hard time taking him seriously). But even if there is a major economic meltdown, the projects already under construction will make for an impressive skyline.
There have been several announcements that we have not heard back from in a while. Your right though, 21C seems to impending. The news and the forum make it seem as if it is a go, its just going thru some startup pains.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 8:39 AM

Austin will look bigger than it really is. I can't wait till San Antonio has a skyscraper explosion. It has stuff going up but nothing this tall. I think it is bound to happen soon.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:19 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Actually I don't think Austin will look larger than it really is. I think we are finally going to look our size of a city of over 700,000. Many cities that are smaller than Austin have much larger skylines. Now with these new towers Austin can finally look as large as it really is.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:34 PM

Madison and Savannah have large active downtowns for their size.

East Coast/pre-auto cities have massive downtowns relative to modern sunbelt cities...

I don't think you can even gauge a city population by its downtown - downtown Phoenix is quite small but 4+ MIL people.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 10:01 PM

Agreed and agreed..... but we are getting off subject for the thread.... I understand the want to discuss.... see, here I am!

Back to 21c. Don't think the vultures should start swirling around this project yet. They do seem to be slowing their process down a bit..... but all indications are that they will be moving forward (and on the Whitley site)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin