HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 2:29 PM
sick transit, gloria

Cycling in Copenhagen was incredible - we rented bikes for a week and didn't really even have use transit except for getting to and from the airport, and going to Sweden. The only thing I could see getting annoying if I lived there would be how crowded some of the bike lanes get, and consequently how slow going it is. I'm used to biking fast on city streets, and in Toronto sometimes take routes without bike lanes by choice to avoid bicycle congestion (which is a thing now! Night and day from 10 years ago).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:58 PM

There is a lot of planning that goes into adding to the cycling infrastructure, and some of the choices I don't agree with but the bikeway system in Edmonton is coming along quite nicely. I work beside one of the main routes into downtown and can say is is heavily used not only during the work week but on the weekends as well. The use of the lanes is also increasing in the winter months since the city maintains clearing on them. Any Time I can remove myself from the auto lanes is a benefit to both me and drivers. when I do ride in I have about a 17km ride in from ST Albert. I used to have to take the main road in and would use the service roads or residential streets to avoid the traffic. Now there are easier routes out of North Edmonton that the developers have made. I can take the same amount of time now to ride as I take to drive.

I also like that the city is working with the Mountain Bike community do develop a very extensive trail system in the city.

The rule N+1 for bikes is definite a requirement here.

I'm currently at 5.5.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:55 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Cycling in Copenhagen was incredible - we rented bikes for a week and didn't really even have use transit except for getting to and from the airport, and going to Sweden. The only thing I could see getting annoying if I lived there would be how crowded some of the bike lanes get, and consequently how slow going it is. I'm used to biking fast on city streets, and in Toronto sometimes take routes without bike lanes by choice to avoid bicycle congestion (which is a thing now! Night and day from 10 years ago).
I was just in Montreal, and I found myself passing slower riders a lot in the bike lanes, though not as recklessly as some there do. I haven't been to Copenhagen or Amsterdam, but the videos of cycling infrastructure there that I've seen suggest to me that the laws and regulations for riding are much more rigorously followed, and that one wouldn't, say, jump red lights or take liberties with bike lanes in polite company.

Funny how "Wild West" even Canada is in comparison to Western Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
The use of the lanes is also increasing in the winter months since the city maintains clearing on them.
That...is awesome. It's so gratifying to see an attitude shift about the feasibility of cycling in winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
The rule N+1 for bikes is definite a requirement here.

I'm currently at 5.5.
Uh, how do fractions work with bikes? I'm at 3. One road bike, one town bike with saddlebags for getting groceries, and one mountain bike for bombing around in the snow.

Last edited by rousseau; Sep 4, 2018 at 5:28 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I was just in Montreal, and I found myself passing slower riders a lot in the bike lanes, though not as recklessly as some there do. I haven't been to Copenhagen or Amsterdam, but the videos of cycling infrastructure there that I've seen suggest to me that the laws and regulations for riding are much more rigorously followed, and that one wouldn't, say, jump red lights or take liberties with bike lanes in polite company.

That...is awesome. It's so gratifying to see an attitude shift about the feasibility of cycling in winter.

Uh, how do fractions work with bikes? I'm at 3. One road bike, one town bike with saddlebags for getting groceries, and one mountain bike for bombing around in the snow.
Tandem, i only get to claim half of it. By the way i also have an italian road steed. Willier.
Most people i know have 5 or more. I have commuting, cyclocross, road, mountain, downhill and the tandem. May add a fat bike for the winter but just put fatter tires on my mountain bike and that gets me through most winter riding except for new snow days. Check trailforks Edmonton to catch the single track here. Easy to get out in the country for some decent roads. Sundays are usually 100km or more. Mondays 50-60 rd. Tuesdays 20-40 mountain then Weds 50 km rd. Thrursdays are a toss up may do some gravel riding. Friday and sat aee off days, i need those at my age. Sept i turn to cross racing and that has 2 races a weekend so not much rd riding during the week. Come november cross ends and most switch to fat bike until April.

Last edited by Airboy; Sep 5, 2018 at 5:52 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 8:19 AM
video et taceo

Quote:

It's true. In Montreal I rode like a messenger, weaving in and out of traffic, drafting buses, all of that. When you are in the mood it's exhilarating. When not, it's frightening and tiresome.

In Copenhagen I ride more sedately, behaving like a vehicle in regulated traffic with a similar set of constraints as an auto driver.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 8:54 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Man, you guys have some nice bikes. I ride a 14-year-old, $100 Raleigh from Canadian Tire. Still works fine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
It's true. In Montreal I rode like a messenger, weaving in and out of traffic, drafting buses, all of that. When you are in the mood it's exhilarating. When not, it's frightening and tiresome.

This basically sums up how I feel riding on most of the non-bike lane streets in Toronto. It can be fun, but also a bit stressful at times.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:33 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
The only thing I could see getting annoying if I lived there would be how crowded some of the bike lanes get, and consequently how slow going it is. I'm used to biking fast on city streets, and in Toronto sometimes take routes without bike lanes by choice to avoid bicycle congestion (which is a thing now! Night and day from 10 years ago).

That's the reason I prefer the simple painted lanes to segregated bike lanes - unless they're wide enough to safely pass slower riders.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:13 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
That's the reason I prefer the simple painted lanes to segregated bike lanes - unless they're wide enough to safely pass slower riders.
I'm fully on board with the segregated bike lanes, but I understand the frustration. Something like London's cycling superhighway is probably too much to ask for, I imagine.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:02 PM

It's only a 1m in Ontario and in the city of Toronto about 95% of drivers don't adhere to that.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:52 PM
video et taceo

I biked into the centre from Hellerup today around 4 p.m.

It was crowded but aside from a clog nearing Kongens Nytorv I'd say I was able to maintain 25-30 kmh.

Right/left "lane" (sub-lane I guess) etiquette and bell use go a long way.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 7:28 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Bumping this thread up as I'm now in serious need of replacing my beloved old clunker, and could use a second opinion. I've been looking around used bike shops but haven't had much luck - seems there's not much available at the moment. So I'll probably just get a new bike instead - I'm considering the Masi Uno Riser: https://masibikes.com/collections/ur...uno-riser-2019

It's about $600, which is a bit more than I was hoping to spend, but is it worth it? I mean, I can afford it, but as my bike is parked out on the sidewalk I'm just a bit worried about theft or rust damage from rain. Really just looking for a decent, lightweight single-speed for cruising around town.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:11 AM

Haven't seen this thread before. Interesting.

I'm not much of a cyclist other than taking part in the Becel Ride for Heart 20 years ago downtown TO from I believe Lakeshore and up on the DVP and back. Also did the one that went from Square One to DT Brampton and back.

In the past year I had a renewed interest in cycling and decided to try out three different forms of it. It turns out they're all in nearby Milton. So while it's not a matter of urban street infrastructure there, it's a matter of varied facilities infrastructure.

Milton is somewhat of a mecca for road cyclists who want the challenge of riding the ups and downs of the roads in the Escarpment. You see them all the time. However, this is one form I did not partake in.

Has anyone else tried the following?

The Velodrome was built for the Pan Am Games. What a fitness challenge that is. It's hot as Hell in there. The extreme banked track makes for tired legs and lungs because going around in circles fast is one thing, but doing up on an angle requires that extra set of muscles to keep you up there. Also, there's no brakes and only one gear on their rentals, which is apparently standard.

I was the third youngest of a group of 16 people trying the track for the first time. There were several people 15-20 years my senior who were faster than me. You could tell who was the serious hobby cyclist and who wasn't. One guy said he bikes to work everyday from High Park to the CTV office at 401 and McCowan.

http://niagara-pauls.blogspot.com/20...e-mattamy.html

http://www.cyclingcanada.ca/sport/tr...cup-in-milton/

I borrowed my cousin's mountain bike and went down the trails at Kelso Conservation Area where they have MTB races. Some interesting natural obstacles and jumps from the Escarpment, and man-made ones as well. The best part is the end where they created berms (banked curves) in the soil so the last section is steep, twisty and fast.

I got to observe some real hardcore dudes on bikes that cost 20x more than the one I was on. The speed and agility they put on display made me ashamed to even be there. Two of the guys also told me it only takes 10-15 minutes to ride from the bottom back up to your car via Appleby Line. It took me 40 minutes!

https://www.trailforks.com/region/ke...ore&order=desc

https://www.trailforks.com/region/ke...ore&order=desc

Couple months ago I tried the BMX track. Surprisingly I was not the oldest. At least three 40+ year olds riding with their kids.

There were 12 year olds that were faster and jumping higher than me. I saw a 15 year old jump so high on the specially designated jumps that I thought he was taking ET home.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/pre-game...lton-bmx-track

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...36204238255476

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 5:18 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Milton is somewhat of a mecca for road cyclists who want the challenge of riding the ups and downs of the roads in the Escarpment. You see them all the time. However, this is one form I did not partake in.

Has anyone else tried the following?

The Velodrome was built for the Pan Am Games. What a fitness challenge that is. It's hot as Hell in there. The extreme banked track makes for tired legs and lungs because going around in circles fast is one thing, but doing up on an angle requires that extra set of muscles to keep you up there. Also, there's no brakes and only one gear on their rentals, which is apparently standard.

I was the third youngest of a group of 16 people trying the track for the first time. There were several people 15-20 years my senior who were faster than me. You could tell who was the serious hobby cyclist and who wasn't. One guy said he bikes to work everyday from High Park to the CTV office at 401 and McCowan.

http://niagara-pauls.blogspot.com/20...e-mattamy.html

http://www.cyclingcanada.ca/sport/tr...cup-in-milton/
Not crazy about the fact that it was built in the middle of nowhere. But it does sound like a lot of fun. There's a velodrome in London as well, though it's a ramshackle setup in an old hockey rink. I'll have to make a point of trying it sometime.

I've also never ridden in the escarpment area around Milton. Ontario's only switchbacks are there (https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.47135...7i13312!8i6656). There's not much real climbing around here, but those switchbacks are Europe-worthy in nature, if not in scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I think disc brakes look fine.
Argh, no, they look awful. Hulking Meccano erector set monstrosities sucking all of the elegance out of a road bike, is what they are.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 5:34 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
I've also never ridden in the escarpment area around Milton. Ontario's only switchbacks are there (https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.47135...7i13312!8i6656). There's not much real climbing around here, but those switchbacks are Europe-worthy in nature, if not in scale

Not the only ones! https://goo.gl/maps/hUJPq18bEK82

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 5:47 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
What, you mean we've got two sets of switchbacks in Ontario? Wow, we're practically the Swiss Alps here!

I've gotta get over and ride those one of these days. Speaking of steep climbs/downhills, wouldn't Pottery Road be just about the steepest stretch of asphalt in Toronto?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
What, you mean we've got two sets of switchbacks in Ontario? Wow, we're practically the Swiss Alps here!

I've gotta get over and ride those one of these days. Speaking of steep climbs/downhills, wouldn't Pottery Road be just about the steepest stretch of asphalt in Toronto?

In terms of long stretch of road it could very well be Pottery. Twyn Rivers Dr. in Scarboro is similar and probably has the steepest segment at the end. Have dodged a few cyclists here.

Walmer going up to Casa Loma is kinda steep, but much a much shorter stretch of road.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:28 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:

Argh, no, they look awful. Hulking Meccano erector set monstrosities sucking all of the elegance out of a road bike, is what they are.

This really is just an issue of your personal aversion rather than any aesthetic deficiency in the actual technology. I mean to me the one in that image looks just as elegant as any rim brake I've seen.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 1:08 AM
Registered Drug User

I took my Dad to watch the Track Cycling World Cup races in Milton back in January. It was very entertaining and enjoyable, more so than I'd expected it to be. Too bad the World Cup won't be back there next year.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 7:55 AM
perhaps . . .

Zipp is good. I have also made a big change to my Knolly Spank wheels. The Spank rims are new, and have been giving me tube flats too regularly. So, I finally went tubeless. Set up was easy enough but when I used the compressor to over inflate to set the beads into the rim, the pops were scary. I had just watched a video of someone going too far and having the tire explode sending sealant into every corner of his workshop and self. But, so far, so good. Riding some rock gardens flat out and no pressure issues at all.

Miss going to see track racing at the now gone Montréal velodrome. Facilities of this scale are needed in Vancouver. There is an indoor velodrome on the north face of Burnaby Mountain, but it is aging and needs replacing soon. A facility like the one in Milton would be a wonderful addition to Vancouver's otherwise busy cycling world. Sadly, no races, no Superweak this year, no fondos this year.

For mountain bikers not from the Vedder-Vancouver-Pemberton trail network constellation; if you haven't ridden here in a while, there has been a tremendous amount of change on the local networks. Notably, the North Shore trio (mostly Fromme and Seymour) has been extensively overhauled and added to. There is now much more blue terrain, and even trails for family rides. Not to worry, Digger may have sculpted some classics to accommodate contemporary desires for fast flow, but there remains plenty of double black/black diamond 'North Shore' wood, root, and rock fests full of the big stupid. The Squamish and Whistler Valley networks have also jumped up yet another level. There are so many trails now, it seems virtually endless. So if COVID allows, come out and enjoy it all.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 3:25 PM

I had no idea Montreal had a velodrome. Didn't know they had the sport in the Olympics back in '76. I went to the biodome once. Just read that that's the converted velodrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post
Zipp is good. I have also made a big change to my Knolly Spank wheels. The Spank rims are new, and have been giving me tube flats too regularly. So, I finally went tubeless. Set up was easy enough but when I used the compressor to over inflate to set the beads into the rim, the pops were scary. I had just watched a video of someone going too far and having the tire explode sending sealant into every corner of his workshop and self. But, so far, so good. Riding some rock gardens flat out and no pressure issues at all.

Miss going to see track racing at the now gone Montréal velodrome. Facilities of this scale are needed in Vancouver. There is an indoor velodrome on the north face of Burnaby Mountain, but it is aging and needs replacing soon. A facility like the one in Milton would be a wonderful addition to Vancouver's otherwise busy cycling world. Sadly, no races, no Superweak this year, no fondos this year.

For mountain bikers not from the Vedder-Vancouver-Pemberton trail network constellation; if you haven't ridden here in a while, there has been a tremendous amount of change on the local networks. Notably, the North Shore trio (mostly Fromme and Seymour) has been extensively overhauled and added to. There is now much more blue terrain, and even trails for family rides. Not to worry, Digger may have sculpted some classics to accommodate contemporary desires for fast flow, but there remains plenty of double black/black diamond 'North Shore' wood, root, and rock fests full of the big stupid. The Squamish and Whistler Valley networks have also jumped up yet another level. There are so many trails now, it seems virtually endless. So if COVID allows, come out and enjoy it all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada