HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 2:28 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Gladstone Village Phase I | 34+62m | 9+18f | Proposed

Backfilling some information about this project...

The proposed development is separated into two distinct wings which share a 3-storey podium base supporting two apartment buildings. The podium increases to 5-storeys to the east with a middle 4-storey component connecting the two portions of the building. The northern most building will be an 18-storey high-rise apartment building with the southern building consisting of 9-storey mid-rise apartment building. The development will consist of 338 units and approximately 372 square meters of commercial space at-grade in the northern wing of the building. A below-grade parking level would provide for a total 145 spaces (102 residential, 30 visitor and 13 commercial). The building design is a u-shape with a generous paved plaza space fronting onto the new public road. This plaza will serve many functions, including providing access to the parking garage with a door located on the southern side of the plaza, under the 9-storey potion of the development.

The development will aim to provide affordable, rental housing units (market and below market) from smaller studio and one-bedroom units for singles and couples, through to larger two- and three-bedroom units. In addition, a percentage of units will be designed to be meet barrier-free requirements, with all other units to be barrier-free visitable. This will help OCH achieve one of their objectives, allowing for people to remain in place for various stages of their life, including designing with growing families in mind, as well as units that support aging-in-place. The units are distributed as follows: 47 x Studio, 178 x 1 bedroom, 69 x 2 bedroom, 40 x 3 bedroom, 4 x 4 bedroom.

Site:

More renderings:

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 12:21 PM

Seems like an odd place to start the development. Buildings gives me a university res vibe.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2022, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Seems like an odd place to start the development. Buildings gives me a university res vibe.
I wonder why...

New Carleton Res building
Credit: Carleton University

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 8:00 PM

Application draft approved as of today.
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0022/details

The City of Ottawa has received a Plan of Subdivision application to develop a mixed-use subdivision containing 24 townhouse dwellings, 92 stacked dwellings and 932 apartment dwelling units, as well as a variety of commercial units within some of the blocks.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 8:33 PM

The first two buildings should start soon according to the latest OCH update.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 8:40 PM

Also, public consultation on the Plante Bath addition, which is more of a new recreation complex linked to Plante Bath.

New City Recreation and Cultural Facilities - 1010 Somerset

Concept Plan

The City is looking for your feedback on the draft concept plan for a proposed array of elements for a complete integrated and sustainable community hub .

Anchored close to the Plant Recreation Complex and the O-Train tracks, north of the Corso Italia station, the intention is to develop a destination community, integrated with the residential development by Ottawa Community Housing to the south.

The major elements proposed in the community hub concept plan include:
  • New active public parkland (sportsfields, courts and open space)
  • A French-language elementary school
  • A childcare facility
  • City of Ottawa recreation facilities
  • Community arts, cultural and creative spaces
  • Expansion of Plant Bath facility
  • Components per the Collective Benefits Agreement with the Algonquins of Ontario
  • Affordable housing
  • Limited mixed use private development

Timelines

This is the first round of engagement focusing specifically on the concept plan. There will be multiple individual projects resulting from this plan, which will each have their own separate consultation initiatives focusing on more detailed considerations.

Development of the specific City of Ottawa managed elements on the site may commence in the next 5-10 year period.

The development of an elementary school is anticipated to begin within the next 1-2 years.

The aim of the concept plan is to explore, develop and recommend a vision to guide the development of this community hub in coordination with Ottawa Community Housing in their development of Gladstone Village.

Community Context

Gladstone Village is a point of intersection between the neighbourhoods of Little Italy, Hintonburg and Chinatown and adjacent to existing City facilities (Plant Recreation Centre and Plouffe Park). The locational attributes provide the City with the unique opportunity to deliver on core objectives contained in the New Official Plan (2021) and the Corso Italia Secondary Plan in both intensification and Transit Oriented Development objectives at LRT stations. It will also provide an opportunity for the City to address its need for land to improve service delivery.

The site is bounded by Somerset Street West, Gladstone Avenue, the O-Train tracks, and Preston Street and contains an area totaling approximately 7.68 hectares (19 acres). The proposed development of this area is intended to serve not only the adjacent neighborhoods but the greater population of Ottawa's central district, including both Somerset and Kitchissippi wards.

Somerset Ward:
  • 44,441 residents in 26,859 households
  • 33% are family households, 67% are non-family households
  • 25% residents are immigrants
  • 2.7% residents have aboriginal identity
  • 2,991 are residents under 19
  • 4,257 are residents 65 or older

Kitchissippi Ward:
  • 39,777 residents in 18,695 households
  • 55% are family households, 45% are non-family households
  • 18% residents are immigrants
  • 2% residents have aboriginal identity
  • 6,430 are residents under 19
  • 4,289 are residents 65 or older

Sustainability

The City, as part of the acquisition agreement has made a commitment to implement its approved sustainability, greening strategy, and targets for all future development at 1010 Somerset Street.

Following the City’s High Performance Development Standards, sustainable construction methods used for the major elements will showcase the community as a demonstration project for energy management, conservation, recycling and reusing resources.

Proposed partnership with Conseil des écoles publiques de l'Est de l'Ontario

The concept plan includes the allocation of land for the development of a new French-language elementary school. Thousands of new residents are expected to move into Gladstone Village over the next decade. A new French-language elementary school will serve not only the French-speaking residents of this area but would draw from surrounding neighbourhoods. Through the execution of a Memorandum of Understanding, the City of Ottawa has partnered with the Conseil des écoles publiques de l'Est de l'Ontario (CEPEO) to incorporate the vision of an elementary school in the initial design phase.

Included in the proposed school development will be a French-language child care facility.

Feedback

If you would like to review the community hub concept plan, please click this link.

Please fill out our survey on the proposed elements of the concept plan here.

If you are interested in the development of this hub, please check this site regularly for project updates and consultation opportunities.

If you have additional questions or feedback on the proposed concept plan of Gladstone Village, please feel free to submit your feedback and questions to 1010somerset@ottawa.ca(External link).

https://engage.ottawa.ca/1010-somerset

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 10:15 PM

Whoa. Isn’t that French-Language Elementary School where Plouffe Park is?

I wonder if the City knows that Plouffe Park is designed as a Stormwater Management Facility? My understanding is that the field is purposely lower than the surrounding area so that runoff from large storms has somewhere to collect so that the Combines Sewers of the area do not get overwhelmed.

(I find it a bit odd that the designated school is a French-Language one. I would not have guessed that Little Italy and China Town would have such a large need for a French-Language school.)

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
Whoa. Isn’t that French-Language Elementary School where Plouffe Park is?

I wonder if the City knows that Plouffe Park is designed as a Stormwater Management Facility? My understanding is that the field is purposely lower than the surrounding area so that runoff from large storms has somewhere to collect so that the Combines Sewers of the area do not get overwhelmed.

(I find it a bit odd that the designated school is a French-Language one. I would not have guessed that Little Italy and China Town would have such a large need for a French-Language school.)
It's at the location of Plouffe Park, but we'll end up with nearly twice the amount of greenspace.

I'm sure they have a stormwater management plan, or maybe it's no longer needed. They rebuilt the infra under Preston about 10 years ago, separating storm water and waste water sewers. We've also built the combined sewage tunnels since.

French educational institutions are badly needed in the downtown area. They have been for quite sometime. School Board even partnered with DCDLS in 2015ish when they bid on LeBreton. It's been part of the Gladstone Village plan for a few years.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 7:17 AM

I love what OCH is doing. This is a great development, and beside Gladstone which will see some good activity. More of this please.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
French educational institutions are badly needed in the downtown area. They have been for quite sometime. School Board even partnered with DCDLS in 2015ish when they bid on LeBreton. It's been part of the Gladstone Village plan for a few years.
There is a French Public school, Ecole Louise Arbor, at 175 Beech St a few blocks away albeit in what I believe is a temporary location, perhaps they will move to a newly constructed school at Gladstone Village.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 7:23 PM

New development proposed at junction of Little Italy, Hintonburg and Chinatown

Charlie Senack, OBJ
July 17, 2023

The City of Ottawa is seeking community feedback on a proposed development at the intersection of the Little Italy, Hintonburg and Chinatown neighbourhoods.

The 21-acre parcel of land bounded by Somerset Street West, Gladstone Avenue, the O-Train tracks and Preston Street will become an “integrated and sustainable community hub,” according to city documents.

An expansion of the nearby Plant Recreation Complex, a new French-language public elementary school, and affordable housing units are part of the plan.

“There will be a major expansion of the recreation centre, including doubling the gym space,” said Somerset Ward Coun. Ariel Troster. “Downtown parents are currently driving their kids out to the Nepean Sportsplex for lessons. We don’t have enough gym space downtown. It’s going to take so much pressure off of other recreational programs in the city.”

It’s a rare opportunity for the city to build a large-scale development in the centre of the city, Troster said.

The development will be made up of various parcels of land. In February 2021, city staff purchased 6.3 acres of federal land near the future Corso Italia LRT station. With a market value of $25 million, it was sold at a discount for $11 million.

Ottawa Community Housing (OCH) is collaborating with the city on the affordable housing portion of the 1010 Somerset St. W. development. That development is adjacent to another future affordable land development called Gladstone Village, which will consist of two towers in phase one: an 18-storey building and a nine-storey building connected by a four-storey podium.

“With 336 units, this phase will offer a diverse range of studio, one-, two-, three- and four-bedroom apartments and commercial spaces,” said Cliff Youdale, chief development officer at OCH. “The buildings will be constructed according to ‘passive house’ standards, ensuring energy efficiency and reduced environmental impact. The buildings will be equipped with high-efficiency heating and cooling systems and wastewater heat recovery.”

The new homes will be located minutes from the second stage of Ottawa’s light rail transit system and next to expanded three-acre park space.

Early drawings for the site show the 45,400-square-foot French-language school being built in Plouffe Park, with new greenspace allocated in another part of the development. Troster said, according to community feedback, it’s an area of concern.

“They want to see more greenspace and they don’t want to see the school in the park,” she said. “Somerset Ward has 20 per cent tree coverage, the lowest in Ottawa. For climate change, we need 30 to 40 per cent.”

Private condos will be built on the edge of the property to offset the costs of the development, said Troster. A French-language child-care facility with potential for an arts hub are part of the proposal.

While shovels could be in the ground for the new French-language public school in a year or two, city development on the site won’t begin for five to 10 years.

“This is the time for engagement,” said Troster. “If there is something you like, tell us. If there is something you don’t like, tell us. This is just a first drawing.”

https://obj.ca/new-development-propo...urg-chinatown/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 7:24 PM

Quote:
“They want to see more greenspace and they don’t want to see the school in the park,” she said. “Somerset Ward has 20 per cent tree coverage, the lowest in Ottawa. For climate change, we need 30 to 40 per cent.”
People are incapable of understanding that Plouffe Park will be more than compensated for with the new park closer to the train tracks. It's a net gain.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 7:52 PM

Quote:
People are incapable of understanding that Plouffe Park will be more than compensated for with the new park closer to the train tracks. It's a net gain.
More Park. Less Traffic. Less Shadows. Less Height. Less Wind. 'I don't want that built next to me unless it is affordable housing, we're in a crisis. Oh really, It's all affordable housing? Well I don't want that built next to me because muh property values'

People in Ottawa are like pull string dolls, they only have 5-6 lines of opposition to literally everything.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
More Park. Less Traffic. Less Shadows. Less Height. Less Wind. 'I don't want that built next to me unless it is affordable housing, we're in a crisis. Oh really, It's all affordable housing? Well I don't want that built next to me because muh property values'

People in Ottawa are like pull string dolls, they only have 5-6 lines of opposition to literally everything.
Shadows killing tomato plants is a new one to the mix.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I do think that one of the coolest things about Plouffe Park is that it is right on Preston and people can watch the soccer/hockey. I’d rather see it stay in that location, as it’s kind of unique

Old Posted Jul 19, 2023, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Shadows killing tomato plants is a new one to the mix.
Tomato plants kill the shadows? Well there's your solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I do think that one of the coolest things about Plouffe Park is that it is right on Preston and people can watch the soccer/hockey. I’d rather see it stay in that location, as it’s kind of unique
There's actually a good argument in favour of keeping it where it is. The issue is that most opposition has no such reasoning.

You could turn it around though and say people using the Trillium path and train will be able to see the soccer matches.

At the moment, much of Plouffe Park's Preston frontage is a 12 foot fence. Not exactly inviting. Having the school front Preston might create a better street presence.

I would like to know the City's reasoning for the configuration of the proposed site.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 1:32 AM
You call that a knife?

the nimbys have deployed signs

https://i.imgur.com/VFw6YZC.jpg

qr code links to this letter, text below: https://qrco.de/beBBlP

PROPOSAL TO BUILD OVER PLOUFFE PARK

Summary
Recreation and Real Estate staff at the City of Ottawa are proposing major changes to Plouffe Park , the Plant Recreation Centre, and the lands at 1010 Somerset St. West. These changes include building over most of Plouffe park. These plans were developed without community input and are contrary to the City of Ottawa Official Plan for the neighbourhood.

Background
Starting in 2014, local residents, business owners, land owners, developers, and City staff worked together over seven years to develop the Corso Italia Station District Secondary Plan (CISDSP), balancing the needs and interests of all parties. In February 2021, City Council approved the plan to implement the
agreed vision. This plan sets out to maintain Plouffe Park and add more than one hectare of additional park space in the adjoining 1010 Somerset Lands when it is developed. City staff are now proposing a different plan that does not follow the Official Plan; eliminates Plouffe Park almost immediately; does not provide an additional full one hectare of green space in the 1010 Somerset Lands; and then possibly only 7-10 years in the future.

Critical Issues
● The current concept design issued by the city staff would see most of Plouffe Park paved over for
new buildings and a road; contrary to the Official Plan.
● The plan would see Plouffe Park closed for new construction as early as 2024, without any
replacement park space opening until at least 2030.
● This neighbourhood is slated to see more than 25,000 new residents in the next 10 years.
● This neighbourhood already has the lowest per capita park space in the entire city.
● The survey created by City staff makes no mention that Plouffe Park would be paved over and limits space for real feedback from the community.
Please Take time to go to the Engage Ottawa survey for 1010 Somerset Lands and fill out the form using any space available to express your concerns about any plan which does not follow city plans and policy to preserve all our existing park space.

This information has been prepared by P4X a coalition of 5 community organizations:
Plant Pool Recreation Association;
Dalhousie Community Association;
Hintonburg Community Association;
Recreation Association of Hintonburg;
Somerset West Community Health Centre.

July, 17, 2023

Last edited by Spoonsy; Jul 25, 2023 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 12:32 PM

If the park is removed without the replacement ready that would definitely be a shitty for the local residents. I get the frustration!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 1:09 PM

Might have to go for a walk and remove the NIMBY signs lol

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 1:17 PM

Ok, sure, the new park should maybe be built before the old park is taken out. That would be a reasonable argument, but the way they sell it, Plouffe will be removed and maybe be replaces with a lesser space.

And "paved over for new buildings and a road; contrary to the Official Plan"? It's a francophone elementary school, with school yard and a bus drop-off. Do they prefer buses drop the kids on three street? Do they have something against francophones? Pretty sure local schools are a big part of the official plan and concept of 15 minute neighbourhoods.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa