HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which city will reach 1 million first?
Winnipeg 89 76.72%
Québec 27 23.28%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 6:06 PM
Mooderator

That's the 'Home owner' tax.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:59 PM

I’d go with The Peg for now, mainly because of immigration and incentives to move there.

I just don’t see Quebec City with big ambitions to be a 1million+ city and nothing wrong with that either. Could be a some game changer with a couple mega projects in the region attract people or an exodus of people from Greater Montreal moving there after the HSR is built

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 2:52 PM
le Gibraltar d'Amérique

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
I just don’t see Quebec City with big ambitions to be a 1million+ city and nothing wrong with that either
Well, there is this new project floating around.
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...c-2e-metropole

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 3:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masoliantekw View Post
Good one to mention.

I still think that most Quebec City residents think the city is pretty much right-sized at the moment.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 3:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The CAQ has probably given up on Montreal, too many maudit Anglais............

Quebec needs a second metropolis - a pur laine one which is linguistically pure and unblemished by contact with the anglophone rabble in the rest of North America.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 3:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The CAQ has probably given up on Montreal, too many maudit Anglais............

Quebec needs a second metropolis - a pur laine one which is linguistically pure and unblemished by contact with the anglophone rabble in the rest of North America.
The CAQ will never give up on Montreal.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 3:21 PM

Quote:
A Market building? A knock-off replica of a Market building from the 19th century? How the hell is that going to grow Québec City into a metropolis?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 3:23 PM
le Gibraltar d'Amérique

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
A Market building? A knock-off replica of a Market building from the 19th century? How the hell is that going to grow Québec City into a metropolis?
Ask our dear friend François about it I am not bilingual, this is why I chose the expression "floating around". Maybe it was not appropriate. This project appeared out of nowhere a month ago. It's looming. And not too serious yet.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 4:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
"Metropolis" sounds like a huge stretch, but some of the more concrete ideas aren't that bad.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:09 PM

If you are a big sports fan that’s the one big advantage Winnipeg has over Quebec City is NHL Jets , CFL Blue Bombers , CEBLs Winnipeg Seabears , AHL Manitoba Moose , Valour FC Soccer and WHL Winnipeg Ice , both cities have Double AA baseball and probably about the same concert scene .

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
If you are a big sports fan that’s the one big advantage Winnipeg has over Quebec City is NHL Jets , CFL Blue Bombers , CEBLs Winnipeg Seabears , AHL Manitoba Moose , Valour FC Soccer and WHL Winnipeg Ice , both cities have Double AA baseball and probably about the same concert scene .
Ooh yeah most definitely.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:55 PM

Winnipeg will reach it first because as some people have pointed out it still needs to prove something while everyone knows what QC’s allure is all about.

Winnipeg also has easier geography to grow since the city is flat as a pancake and QC is anything but flat. Of course urban sprawl shouldn’t be the primary form of growth, but there is also a ridiculous amount of space for infill whether it be vacant lots, old industrial sites, or lots of inner city housing stock that needed to be replaced yesterday.

That being said, QC I expect will have quite high growth because there are a lot of French speaking countries they can receive immigration from. Being such an excellent urban fabric and new tramway will also mean attracting a few urbanists here and there.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 1:35 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Winnipeg will reach it first because as some people have pointed out it still needs to prove something while everyone knows what QC’s allure is all about.

Anthropomorphized notions of a city having "something to prove" (or the SSP classic "can-do-attitude") doesn't actually translate to the key ingredient of more people being willing to move and/or stay there though; unless that coincides with some sort of major civic push to be the next million+ CMA and real policy changes are enacted to better facilitate that. I don't think that's actually the case in Winnipeg - or anywhere else, really - though.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Anthropomorphized notions of a city having "something to prove" (or the SSP classic "can-do-attitude") doesn't actually translate to the key ingredient of more people being willing to move and/or stay there though; unless that coincides with some sort of major civic push to be the next million+ CMA and real policy changes are enacted to better facilitate that. I don't think that's actually the case in Winnipeg - or anywhere else, really - though.
Well if we are looking at these two cities then Winnipeg has been outgrowing QC for the majority of the 21st century because of initiatives like the Provincial nominee program, huge cultural diversity for a city of its size, and stable economy while being one of the more affordable places to live in the Anglo sphere.

None of those things happen by accident, but through policy changes primarily crafted by the NDP in order to counteract the tough times in the late 90s of stagnation before the PCs came in power and halted the momentum until Canada just went crazy with immigration the last few years.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:04 PM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:55 PM

It's obviously Winnipeg.

The Peg gets a lot of immigration especially from the Philippines which more than makes up for the people who leave. Quebec City gets relatively little in terms of immigration and, unlike Toronto & Vancouver where people are fleeing to more affordable localities {ie London, Kingston}, there is little outflow from Montreal because Montreal is still quite affordable.

The reality is that neither are ever going to be fast growing cities relative to other national cities because they have too many things going against them. Quebec city requires fluency in French, has to compete with Montreal, and the snow it gets is on another level. Winnipeg suffers from science fiction cold, mosquitos beyond belief, high complete geographical isolation, and a very high crime rate. Due to these reasons, there are simply better options.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
It's obviously Winnipeg.

The Peg gets a lot of immigration especially from the Philippines which more than makes up for the people who leave. Quebec City gets relatively little in terms of immigration and, unlike Toronto & Vancouver where people are fleeing to more affordable localities {ie London, Kingston}, there is little outflow from Montreal because Montreal is still quite affordable.

The reality is that neither are ever going to be fast growing cities relative to other national cities because they have too many things going against them. Quebec city requires fluency in French, has to compete with Montreal, and the snow it gets is on another level. Winnipeg suffers from science fiction cold, mosquitos beyond belief, high complete geographical isolation, and a very high crime rate. Due to these reasons, there are simply better options.
I always love when people think is sooooo cold here. It gets just as cold in Edmonton and Calgary. Sure they get some warm weather in the winter. But they also don't get our scorching hot summer like we do in Winnipeg.
Also the crime is more of a localized thing. And Regina has a way higher crime rate. Also Edmonton has a high crime rate. Thing here is we have a very large aborit population, 80,000 to be more precise. Basically 1/8th of the cities population is people coming off the reservation. And reservations in Manitoba and Sask are nothing like the east has or west. They for the most part are gang run reservations. So we get alot of people fleeing the reservation life and when they get here they usually get trapped into more aboriginal gangs. It's a no win scenario. 70% or more incarcerated folks here are aboriginal. It's a sad case to be honest. Either way look at violent crime and petty crime. We have alot of petty crime due to the meth epidemic that every city suffers from.

Winnipeg also has some of the cheapest housing in Canada. Which is a big draw to many.

Had we gone back 20 years I'd say Winnipeg was becoming the next Detroit. But it's turned around in a big way.

You also have to deal with all the CryPeggers here. As they are just never happy lol.

Quebec City now. Is a beautiful historic city. Probably the most beautiful city in Canada.. I'd hate to see it get to a million . As it will lose its old world charm. I'll never knock QC. However I'll knock Montreal as I've never been to a city with so many people with such a stuck up snobbish attitude lol.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
I always love when people think is sooooo cold here. It gets just as cold in Edmonton and Calgary. Sure they get some warm weather in the winter. But they also don't get our scorching hot summer like we do in Winnipeg.
Also the crime is more of a localized thing. And Regina has a way higher crime rate. Also Edmonton has a high crime rate. Thing here is we have a very large aborit population, 80,000 to be more precise. Basically 1/8th of the cities population is people coming off the reservation. And reservations in Manitoba and Sask are nothing like the east has or west. They for the most part are gang run reservations. So we get alot of people fleeing the reservation life and when they get here they usually get trapped into more aboriginal gangs. It's a no win scenario. 70% or more incarcerated folks here are aboriginal. It's a sad case to be honest. Either way look at violent crime and petty crime. We have alot of petty crime due to the meth epidemic that every city suffers from.

Winnipeg also has some of the cheapest housing in Canada. Which is a big draw to many.

Had we gone back 20 years I'd say Winnipeg was becoming the next Detroit. But it's turned around in a big way.

You also have to deal with all the CryPeggers here. As they are just never happy lol.

Quebec City now. Is a beautiful historic city. Probably the most beautiful city in Canada.. I'd hate to see it get to a million . As it will lose its old world charm. I'll never knock QC. However I'll knock Montreal as I've never been to a city with so many people with such a stuck up snobbish attitude lol.
I take it you've not spent much time in Quebec City's suburbs. It's not like 150,000 additional people are going to move inside the walls.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 1:32 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I take it you've not spent much time in Quebec City's suburbs. It's not like 150,000 additional people are going to move inside the walls.
The dichotomy between the suburban areas of QC and Vieux-Québec is extremely interesting, especially as you progress eastwards along the Grande Allee. It's like you're progressing through rings of history, with the piece de resistance being when you drive through the Port St-Louis into the old town proper.

The entire character, ambience and natural environment of the Quebec City area, including Montmorency Falls, Ile d'Orleans, the Citadel, the Plains of Abraham are unmatched anywhere else in the country. The city is fantastic.

Having said all this, I remain convinced that however dull, flat, and mosquito ridden Winnipeg is, it will still be the next city in the country to break the one million barrier. The reasons for this are economic and linguistic, not physiographic and cultural. Quebec City may have all the attributes and accolades, but Winnipeg makes a better business case.............

Old Posted Jun 10, 2023, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Having said all this, I remain convinced that however dull, flat, and mosquito ridden Winnipeg is, it will still be the next city in the country to break the one million barrier. The reasons for this are economic and linguistic, not physiographic and cultural. Quebec City may have all the attributes and accolades, but Winnipeg makes a better business case.............
Tell us how you really feel…

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada