HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 5:10 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll get to those this week... Did you guys see my Buffalo pics thread? http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=116289
Shots from the top of central terminal toward downtown.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2006, 8:59 PM

Planning Board Meeting

So I had to be at City Hall today for a meeting with one of the city's 3 community planners and decided that I would go early and sit through the Planning Board meeting. WestCoastPerspective asked if I would check out two of the items on the agenda and get some pics, for which I obliged.

Item #1: Ellicott Development's Waterfront Village Project

Presented today was preliminary site plans for 15 townhomes as part of the Waterfront Village project that Ellicott has prefered developer status for next to Admirals Walk. The townhomes are of a similar design to the Rivermist Townhomes across Ojibwa Dr. from the Ellicott development. They are a little more pedestrian friendly than Rivermist. The Ellicott reps I talked to stated that development has to begin by the end of the year or they lose prefered developer status from BURA. They will start with 4 units, after those are sold, will buildt the next four, to make a continuous 8, when those are sold will build the last 7 all at once. The townhomes are to be between 2200 and 2700 sq. ft. and have either 2 or 3 bedrooms. Each unit will have a small patio which will overlook a small park behind the townhomes. Maintenance on the park will be paid for by the homeowners association. The preliminary plot plans were approved. The condo tower is still being tweaked but they have to present the plans for that to BURA by the end of October, but they probably won't go before the Planning Board until after the 1st of the year.

Item #2: Colvin/Starin Subdivision in North Buffalo

The second item that WC wanted me to look at was the proposed subdivision between Colvin and Starin along the old Rail ROW in North Buffalo. There are 134 proposed lots, although several prospective buyers have indicated they wanted to buy double lots, so there will not be 134 homes built. The NFTA has required that there be a 30' ROW maintained on the north side of the property to allow for the construction of a bikeway and/or future rail extension. The city department of public works is requiring there to be a 66' wide right of way for the street and adjacent sidewalks, which leaves a 79' to 89' lot depth. The typical lot will be 55' wide with the four corner lots being 70' wide. At both ends of the new street low entrance walls are proposed making this a true 'subdivision'. The developer did not have architectural renderings available for the houses, but I would suspect that they will be of a suburban style considering the lot width and depth. I am going to talk to him on Thursday about some more renderings, so I will probably enquire as to the house designs and see if I could at least encourage him to have the garages set back from the front of the houses. I think this one is going to happen considering that the Planning Board approved the preliminary design as well as the fact that I think the site is properly zoned so unless the North Buffalo people that were opposed to the Natale proposal come out in force to oppose this, I think it will go through.

Some pics from both proposals:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thestip...7594301041189/

Both developments will be presented at a public hearing in front of the Planning Board on October 10th.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 2:50 AM

Great job Stip! Not only do we need to get you a planning job in Buffalo, we need to get you over to the Planning and Preservation Boards more often.

Ellicott's townhomes.

He's calling the project, "Pasquale."

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 4:45 PM
Go Pens!

Ellicott's townhomes.

Don't we already have those?...

Are you SURE this rendering isn't from 1983??

I'm pretty sure i remember playing soccer down near the riverfront in my youth and these being right next to the field...a whole lot of em'....rows...

Who the hell somes up with this stuff?! - it's like someone knocked a big brick chiminey over, kicked it around a bit, and then punched some prisonesque windows in it.

Someone's been playnig with the Legos again haven't they?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2006, 6:09 PM

Here's a slighty more detailed article about the Dulski building renovations.

Bid accepted for Dulski Building, heralding new look, multiple uses
By SHARON LINSTEDT
NEWS STAFF REPORTER
10/3/2006

The Thaddeus J. Dulski Federal Office Building in downtown Buffalo will have a whole new look and new purpose as a private, mixed-use complex by late 2007.
The federal General Services Administration has officially accepted the $6.1 million online bid from UniQuest Delaware LLC, a local partnership, to buy the vacant 15-story structure.

The partnership, composed of Amherst-based Uniland Development Co. and Acquest Development of Buffalo, has big plans for the 35-year-old building at Delaware Avenue and West Huron Street.

"It's such a strong building because of its location, size and condition. It has well-sized, open floor plates that make it ideal for an upgrade to Class A office space and a multitude of other commercial uses," said Uniland Vice President Michael J. Montante.

Preliminary plans call for most of building's nearly 400,000 square feet of leaseable space to be used for offices, with a mix of retail, residential and hotel filling out the remainder.

Acquest President William L. Huntress said continued demand for state-of-the-art office space downtown bodes well for the Dulski Building conversion.

"There's probably 100,000 square feet of Class A tenancies out there to be signed right now," Huntress said. "We haven't identified specific tenants for this project, but I am not concerned about filling the building. It's going to be a beautiful, successful project."

The developer, who described the exterior of the building as "quite ugly," said that will change shortly.

"We plan to remove the entire skin and replace it with something lighter and much more attractive. It won't look like the same building," he said.

UniQuest also will strip out much of the interior, taking care of the structure's long-rumored "asbestos problem" in the process.

"It's not something dangerous or unusual, but it was difficult and expensive to do with tenants in the building. Now that it's vacant, it's a fairly routine situation to clean up," Montante said.

Uniland and Acquest studied the Dulski Building as they co-developed the nearby Niagara Centre at 130 S. Elmwood Ave., where several federal agencies have relocated. Their joint development resume includes the Federal Center at 138 Delaware Ave., which houses the U.S. attorney's office and Citizenship and Immigration Services.

GSA spokeswoman Renee Miscione said the agency is pleased with the price the Buffalo building attracted via the Internet auction, a first for a major Buffalo-area building.

"The auction went as we'd hoped, with the process self-extending through new bids as the deadline approached. We're very pleased with the outcome," Miscione said.

UniQuest, bidding under the code name "ABCDEFGH," beat out what turned out to be another Buffalo-area group, which called itself "ithaca."

"We had no idea who our competition was or where they were from, and it really didn't matter. We were focused on getting the building," Huntress said.

The GSA will hold a "decommissioning" ceremony once the sale closes to mark the building's government service.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2006, 5:27 AM
NIMBYcrusher9000

Quote:
"We plan to remove the entire skin and replace it with something lighter and much more attractive. It won't look like the same building," he said.
Awesome, Delaware will get Miami Vice Tower #3

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 2:57 AM
Trendy.

Umm... Hi, and welcome to the fabulous world of 1983!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 3:35 AM
try being in the Buff

What's up with the little piss hole sized windows.

WCP who is the Architect?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 4:32 AM

I don't know who the architect is, the image isn't clear. Kideney designed 50 Court Street for them, maybe they did this one too???

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 6:20 AM
Great White Norf

talk about piss poor design.
buffalo DESERVES better than this..
especially for waterfront property.
geez.
like justin said these plans look like they are from 1983.. i wouldn't be surprised if someone just blew the dust off them.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 2:05 PM
try being in the Buff

One bad thing about Uniland Opus losing the outer harbor is that it exposes us to cluttered up low brow like this for that whole area of the waterfront.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 2:13 PM
welcome to the madness

I would hope that the ECHDC would have better discretion than to let these kind of homes sprout up around the outer harbor. We'll see what happens once they gain control of this enormous parcel.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 4:04 PM
NIMBYcrusher9000

Ack! Fucking butt ugly...hideous!!

Brick walls and variable setbacks? The architecht should have his/her license revoked ASAP!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 4:34 PM

The design is unfortunate at best, it basically continues on what is already there. I am hoping for more from them for the condo tower, but I am not expecting to get it. It would seem that, in true Ellicott fashion, they waited way too long to get going on this project, and thankfully BURA was smart enough to include performance deadlines. But because of the SLOW pace at which Paladino likes to move, we get crappy design. Hmmm, we need a lot of new developers to come to this town and soon!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 4:54 PM

OK- it is only one store, but this is BIG news:

Clothier setting up Main Street shop

Business First of Buffalo

Michael Attardo is about to become an urban pioneer -- again.

In what the Elmwood Avenue clothier hopes is a case of history repeating itself, Attardo is preparing to open a men's clothing store in the Belasario complex at 514 Main St. The store, Get Dressed Buffalo, is expected to open on Oct. 10.

Attardo, who also founded the Forever Elmwood civic group, said opening on Main Street along the Buffalo Place pedestrian mall is not all that different from when he opened "Get Dressed" on Elmwood Avenue in 1974.

"In the 1970s, people were giving away property and now look at it," Attardo said.

The same scenario is almost in place in downtown Buffalo.

The central business district is seeing several new residential projects open and with that comes the need for retail services.

"Healthy communities are all about good neighborhoods," Attardo said. "Housing is heating up in downtown because it is cool and people want to be at the center of energy."

But, that spike will stall, unless some services follow. Downtown took one step forward with the opening last year of the Washington Market, an upscale deli and market.

"Right now, housing in downtown is a novelty," said Rocco Termini, Signature Development managing partner. Signature has developed several apartment and loft complexes in downtown.

"Very shortly, people are going to demand services to go along with those apartments," Termini said.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective
OK- it is only one store, but this is BIG news:

Clothier setting up Main Street shop

Business First of Buffalo

Michael Attardo is about to become an urban pioneer -- again.

In what the Elmwood Avenue clothier hopes is a case of history repeating itself, Attardo is preparing to open a men's clothing store in the Belasario complex at 514 Main St. The store, Get Dressed Buffalo, is expected to open on Oct. 10.

Attardo, who also founded the Forever Elmwood civic group, said opening on Main Street along the Buffalo Place pedestrian mall is not all that different from when he opened "Get Dressed" on Elmwood Avenue in 1974.

"In the 1970s, people were giving away property and now look at it," Attardo said.

The same scenario is almost in place in downtown Buffalo.

The central business district is seeing several new residential projects open and with that comes the need for retail services.

"Healthy communities are all about good neighborhoods," Attardo said. "Housing is heating up in downtown because it is cool and people want to be at the center of energy."

But, that spike will stall, unless some services follow. Downtown took one step forward with the opening last year of the Washington Market, an upscale deli and market.

"Right now, housing in downtown is a novelty," said Rocco Termini, Signature Development managing partner. Signature has developed several apartment and loft complexes in downtown.

"Very shortly, people are going to demand services to go along with those apartments," Termini said.
When "Get Dressed" was open the first time, a Player (Bills or other~wise) did not have to go to Cleveland to get a fresh pair of Gators! B-lo was known for it's urban fashions during the 60s-80s From Seeburgs to M Wile and of course Get dressed among others. When times got even harder, and jobs were leaving, these businesses were doomed. The fact that someone wants to even invest in "Urban Buffalo" related market again is a TRUE sign that things are indeed on the rise.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 5:27 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar
I would hope that the ECHDC would have better discretion than to let these kind of homes sprout up around the outer harbor. We'll see what happens once they gain control of this enormous parcel.
I agree.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 4:03 PM

Hey Strip did you say you were a recent buff state grad? And if so i think i may have talked to you about this site a few times in Mix's class.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 12:57 AM
seriously

There are 3 small differences between these new ones and the old 80's version

Original 80's design have large balconies in the back, steep staircases up to the front door, and fireplaces on an inside wall.

These new designs appear to have smaller balconies in the back, front doors on the ground floor, and fireplaces on the back outside wall.

So no they are not identical. But the no-style all-brick bunker-like design is similar in both!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 3:36 AM
try being in the Buff

The entries are located in those attractive crevice like spaces. And you get to share your front entry stoop with your neighbor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations