HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
The church is still there. And in use.

And the walk to the station has improved in the last few months with the bike lanes and curbs they've built. The area isn't pedestrian friendly because there's nothing worth walking to, but the station. Value Village is literally the largest the largest non-resident passenger draw.
I mean yeah..the new sidewalks and bike lane between Ogilvie and Cyrville Station are as good as anywhere in the city. This area is perfectly pedestrian friendly, just not a pretty walk right now. Labelle has great sidewalks leading to St. Laurent Shopping Centre as well.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 5:46 AM

I wouldn't describe the area as pedestrian friendly. On many streets there are only sidewalks on one side, getting anywhere requires crossing extremely wide suburban arterial roads, the access to St. Laurent is through a dark parking garage. Many of the sidewalks and streets are prone to getting large puddles.

Maybe the area is scheduled for major infrastructure upgrades that will be done in a pedestrian friendly way, and the retail mix will change to cater to some of the new residential developments. But I also think there is a risk that this development will attract people looking for the car convenience of the area, rather than those looking for a pedestrian lifestyle (like those condos on St Laurent near the cemetery, for example).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Maybe the area is scheduled for major infrastructure upgrades that will be done in a pedestrian friendly way,
I daydream about this every time I walk down Cyrville and see hydro poles on both sides of the street.....

Quote:
and the retail mix will change to cater to some of the new residential developments.
There's some odd places. For example, a new non-chain coffee shop has opened on Cyrville, across from the Church. It seems like such a random location to open such a nice coffee shop. I am hoping that they are sort of betting on a rejuvenation, and survive that long. There's also a weird shisha joint that's opened up in the old Wow Wings building at the corner of Cyrville/Ogilvie. Seems kinda sketch. But we'll see how long that lasts. The Indian restaurant that's near that corner (Palki) just became a victim of Covid.

I was talking to Claude (the mayor of the Chip wagon corner) on the weekend. He told me how his uncle owned the plot being developed at one point decades ago. He said, even he was surprised how long this area has just sat empty. Even Richcraft sat on their patch of land for a very long time before putting up the first Place des Gouverneurs buildings.

Quote:
But I also think there is a risk that this development will attract people looking for the car convenience of the area, rather than those looking for a pedestrian lifestyle (like those condos on St Laurent near the cemetery, for example).
I wouldn't be too worried. If you look at this proposal they are, I believe, less than 1:1 on parking. The rentals you see coming at Blair are the same way. PdG is a bit unique that way, because a lot of the residents in the original buildings are older. So many have cars. But don't actually drive much. Mostly they were downsizing from homes. The Brownstones have a lot more younger residents, and you'll see at least decent peak transit usage (at least pre-Covid). I would think that development will attract a lot of people who work relatively close by (bikeable to CSE, CSIS, Start Top and walkable to all the buildings on Lemieux) or want a relatively cheaper transit/condo lifestyle, but can't afford the downtown core.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:41 AM

Quote:
The church is still there. And in use.

And the walk to the station has improved in the last few months with the bike lanes and curbs they've built. The area isn't pedestrian friendly because there's nothing worth walking to, but the station. Value Village is literally the largest the largest non-resident passenger draw.
The Value Village and Canex buildings need to go in favour of greater density. There’s also now a coffee shop across from the church, so hipsters can’t be far behind ...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 3:08 AM

Quote:
There's also a weird shisha joint that's opened up in the old Wow Wings building at the corner of Cyrville/Ogilvie. Seems kinda sketch.
Good analysis of that property. About 4 years ago, the owners of that property and some land behind it were floating a hotel/apartment complex idea of 30 + storeys on a postage stamp lot..crazy plans that never went anywhere.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Good analysis of that property. About 4 years ago, the owners of that property and some land behind it were floating a hotel/apartment complex idea of 30 + storeys on a postage stamp lot..crazy plans that never went anywhere.
Guess they'll get beat by this development....

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 8:07 PM

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 1:21 AM

I really like the look of this project. PMA Architects has done some nice work locally. SOOOOOO GLAD this isn't another RLA catastrophe.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 3:30 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The Dec 2020 resubmission includes some changes to the exterior cladding of the the 36-storey tower and the 8-storey hotel.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 3:52 PM

I like the new look of the hotel. It helps it stand out from the rest and distinguish it as another use.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2021, 4:12 PM

If the developer goes with high quality materials and recognizes the Architect's vision this will turn out very nicely, just like Le Viu in Hull. We need more Pierre Martin and less Roderick Lahey in this city.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 7:12 PM

Looks like this project is going ahead finally. Construction drawings are out for tendering to a select few. I expect construction to begin next spring.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East-End View Post
Looks like this project is going ahead finally. Construction drawings are out for tendering to a select few. I expect construction to begin next spring.
Welcome to the forum! And thanks for the update. This one will have a huge impact on its surroundings.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 7:11 PM

Anyone knows if they're going to build every building at the same time ?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 9:16 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
Anyone knows if they're going to build every building at the same time ?
Well, according to the UDRP Review documents, they will be proceeding in 2 phases.

Here are some updated renderings showing just Phase 1:

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 9:54 PM

Thanks. Glad to see they're building the tallest tower first.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 9:53 PM

The location will never cease to baffle me. It's such a nice building for the area, which hopefully will entice more quality builds in the area. Would love to see more of these closer to the core though.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 1:42 PM

Looks like a very nice development (for the area but even for the whole city in general). Lots of infill potential in that area walking distance to Cyrville.

Wonder what the "Place des Gouverneurs" is waiting for. They have this prime location right next to the station and a huge plot of empty land in the middle. I know demand was not so hot when they first started building and had to scale down plans, but with the red-hot housing and rental markets today you would think they would try to capitalize on that...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Looks like a very nice development (for the area but even for the whole city in general). Lots of infill potential in that area walking distance to Cyrville.

Wonder what the "Place des Gouverneurs" is waiting for. They have this prime location right next to the station and a huge plot of empty land in the middle. I know demand was not so hot when they first started building and had to scale down plans, but with the red-hot housing and rental markets today you would think they would try to capitalize on that...
Who was the developer?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Who was the developer?
Richcraft I believe

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa