HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 5:27 AM

I thought this was as of right? So if it is; who cares what the HT thinks? They can just go ahead and do it.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 6:23 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I doubt that there will be a lot of feedback for this one.

This would have been as-of-right before HbD but the process may have changed. The ANS story made it sound like the developer was required to hold some kind of public consultation before moving forward.

I think a consultation at a place like Second Cup is a great idea since it means that there will be more of a sampling of random people, most of whom like new projects. Normally public consultations are stacked in favour of people with a lot of time on their hands. Meanwhile the other 99% want a successful downtown with new construction and more to offer.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 10:17 PM

The leather shop is now empty and the car-crashed window is tarped over. Sock it to ya is still open (get them while you can). The coffee shop in the back still has a sign up. There was an ad in The Coast from them looking for a new space.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 11:09 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregor View Post
The leather shop is now empty and the car-crashed window is tarped over. Sock it to ya is still open (get them while you can). The coffee shop in the back still has a sign up. There was an ad in The Coast from them looking for a new space.
Thanks for the updates and all the pictures in the other threads. Does anyone know if the woman who was struck by the SUV has recovered?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 8:57 PM

The Design Review Committee was supposed to discuss (approve?) this last night. Does anyone know the result?

http://www.halifax.ca/Commcoun/hecc/...DRCagenda.html

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 9:07 PM

^I think it was just the presentation of the project. Probably no decision made on this yet.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
] I wonder if the office tower NSP is vacating in SS could be converted into residential? Certainly it could become another hotel though couldn't it? If Barrington tower converted to residential - that would add quite a few units right in the central core. Imagine the commute - you'd be indoors, grab your coffee, wander through the pedways and there you are at work!
Thats the idea! an interconnected downtown with buildings of all sorts from residential to professional, retail and recreation. Really its what they were getting at back in the 60's when they built SS. It came with the 3 apartment buildings across the street which were connected by the pedway over albermarle street. If this was the 70's i would totally be living there. Thats when Woolco was there with the red grill, the movie theater, dick turpins, the grocery store, 50's diner and the Discotech "Razzle Dazzle". You could live, shop, work, eat and have a night on the town without ever stepping outside!

Its so convenient yet there is this demand today for stores facing the street or a parking lot rather than being inside, and urban planners are against climate controlled connections between buildings like tunnels and skyways. The streets would be devoid of people but that doesnt mean the city is dead. They are all just inside out of the cold.

Hopefully they will figure out a way to connect the Nova Center to the downtown links.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 7:49 PM

There's a tall fence up on the side of the property now. It covers the sidewalk on the Birmingham side.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregor View Post
There's a tall fence up on the side of the property now. It covers the sidewalk on the Birmingham side.
Saw that as well. Sock it To Ya is closed, the store where that woman crashed into is closed... So is this going to be built ASAP? God I hope so. Having empty lots on your main street is embarrassing.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 12:25 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I hope so too. Spring Garden is at it's worst now. Well almost! Remember when KFC and Harveys were there?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I hope so too. Spring Garden is at it's worst now. Well almost! Remember when KFC and Harveys were there?
It'll get worse when the Chickenburger opens up nearby. That restaurant has the same amount of class as McDonalds.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 12:55 AM

I like the Chickenburger...

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
When was that? What buildings were they in?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 1:01 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

This was quite a few years ago now. KFC was 5616 and Harveys was 5650 Spring Garden. I'm not sure the names of the buildings now.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 1:32 AM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I like the Chickenburger...
So do I. If you think that the Chickenburger even remotely resembles a McDonald's, I'd like to know which McDonald's you're eating at.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
So do I. If you think that the Chickenburger even remotely resembles a McDonald's, I'd like to know which McDonald's you're eating at.
The McD's in Bedford and Burnside are both nicer than the Chickenburger asthetic-wise.

I challenge anyone to find a Bedfordian that eats at the Chickenburger. The only remotely good food there is the ice cream and the rest is about as a healthy and pleasant to eat as a greasy McD's hamburger (and I hate those as well).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 2:05 AM

It's old fashion but that's part of the charm of it. The food is much better than McDonalds they use real beef and chicken, have you not seen what Mcdonalds put in their meat? So what it's not healthy it's a burger restaurant it's not supossed to be healthy. If I want something healthy I eat at home, most restaurants aren't healthy by any strech of the imagination, they use better ingredients but can contain a crap ton of calories.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 2:49 AM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The McD's in Bedford and Burnside are both nicer than the Chickenburger asthetic-wise.

I challenge anyone to find a Bedfordian that eats at the Chickenburger. The only remotely good food there is the ice cream and the rest is about as a healthy and pleasant to eat as a greasy McD's hamburger (and I hate those as well).
I live in Bedford. I eat at the Chickenburger. I rarely eat at McDonald's. This just seems like a matter of personal opinion. I know several people who regulary eat at the Chickenburger and love it. I also know people who prefer McDonald's. I prefer the Chickenburger, you seem to prefer McDonald's. Let's not make an argument about personal opinions.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 3:21 AM

I like the chickenburger, most of all the milkshakes but they have good food
like mentioned though it is personal opinion so to each there own
but your wrong, haha jk

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
I live in Bedford. I eat at the Chickenburger. I rarely eat at McDonald's. This just seems like a matter of personal opinion. I know several people who regulary eat at the Chickenburger and love it. I also know people who prefer McDonald's. I prefer the Chickenburger, you seem to prefer McDonald's. Let's not make an argument about personal opinions.
Huh you're one of the rare ones thats for sure but it doesn't really matter.

I live a five minute walk from the Chickenburger and never even consider going into it especially with a dozen better restaurants IMO in the immediate area. From my experience most Bedfordians looking for a local meal will go to the Sunnyside, Il Mercato, or Cora's for a decent quality meal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth