HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 1:37 AM

Hope they come back with a much better project now that they have nearly the entire block.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Hope they come back with a much better project now that they have nearly the entire block.
I really hope they would keep the two brick apartment buildings (and honestly I like that old house).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 10:35 PM

The building which housed the former location is Good Eats is gone.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
The building which housed the former location is Good Eats is gone.
388 Albert? Goodeats put it up on their website:

This means the entire block is clear save for the two midrise apartment buildings.

I still havnt seen anything on ownership of that lot, but i assume the proponent has bought it or is trying to buy it. They should probably resubmit plans for the complete site next.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 3:37 PM

Sad to see this one go, but I understand that it's unrealistic to save one small house in the middle of an empty block prime for re-development. I do hope that the two apartment buildings on Bay and Albert will be preserved, since they are the only older buildings left in that area, but I'm sure the owners of the block will try to buy them out as well to bulldoze.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Sad to see this one go, but I understand that it's unrealistic to save one small house in the middle of an empty block prime for re-development. I do hope that the two apartment buildings on Bay and Albert will be preserved, since they are the only older buildings left in that area, but I'm sure the owners of the block will try to buy them out as well to bulldoze.
I hope they do keep them. The lot is already quite large that they could easily fit a few new towers on the site even with those apartments; and it's important to keep some perfectly good apartments and old buildings downtown. They look like they're in decent shape still.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ot...!4d-75.6971931

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:27 PM

New signage went up today. Main+Main "Urban to the Core" and Westdale Properties.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus CLS View Post
New signage went up today. Main+Main "Urban to the Core" and Westdale Properties.
This is promising. Westdale is managing NOBU in Toronto which is significantly better in architecture than anything we currently have... hopefully something similar.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:47 PM

Main+Main has some goo projects in Toronto, but they have a shit track record in Ottawa. Whatever is proposed will probably be better than the last design, but not by a whole lot.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 6:46 PM

http://ottwatch.ca/devapps/D07-05-19-0004

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...05-19-0004.PDF

Apparently the good eats building was not issued a proper permit prior to demolition. They have now applied retroactively to legalize the demolition.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
http://ottwatch.ca/devapps/D07-05-19-0004

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...05-19-0004.PDF

Apparently the good eats building was not issued a proper permit prior to demolition. They have now applied retroactively to legalize the demolition.
What a surprise. No fines will be issued, I'm sure.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:07 AM

*this seems soooooooo much better than before*

The City of Ottawa has received a Zoning By-law Amendment to permit three mixed-use high-rise buildings with residential towers ranging in height up to 38-storeys and a mix of uses on the ground floor and within the podium. The development also includes an urban park, underground parking, and a mid-block pathway.

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__ALT3E6

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
*this seems soooooooo much better than before*

The City of Ottawa has received a Zoning By-law Amendment to permit three mixed-use high-rise buildings with residential towers ranging in height up to 38-storeys and a mix of uses on the ground floor and within the podium. The development also includes an urban park, underground parking, and a mid-block pathway.

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__ALT3E6
OMFG!!!! Could this really be happening?!? Something FINALLY breaking out of the Centretown mono-block skyline?!? 38 stories would be incredible here!!!!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
OMFG!!!! Could this really be happening?!? Something FINALLY breaking out of the Centretown mono-block skyline?!? 38 stories would be incredible here!!!!
Perfect spot for it. Look forward to seeing the updates renderings....

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 11:46 AM

This is a fantastic design! I hope that they don't change it until it becomes a regular square building. The curved walls look quite avant-garde for Ottawa, and I love it!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 11:56 AM

They must have mixed up a Toronto design and copy and pasted it by accident into their Ottawa brief....

I want to scream at Council APPROVE IT! But also make the developer sign an agreement that they will not substitute an inferior design or materials without express approval from the Planning Committee. Enough delegation to city staff - that’s how we get the classic Claridge bate-and-switch. I’m doubtful they’ll go for 38 storeys given that the City approved Claridge next door for 27 storeys, despite the lack of protected view planes.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:18 PM

"The 3 buildings have a consistent architectural vocabulary and a as a unified development. The curvilinear geometry of the towers creates a unique, dynamic form that distinguishes itself with the surrounding context, glass box office buildings and slab rental buildings."

The have that paragraph in the design brief, which gives me more confidence that the won't change the form at least but we'll see.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:18 PM

I could even live with the demolition of the heritage apartment buildings on Albert if this gets constructed as per the current proposal.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
I could even live with the demolition of the heritage apartment buildings on Albert if this gets constructed as per the current proposal.
I don't think they are part of the deveopment site, are they?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I don't think they are part of the deveopment site, are they?
they are not. As the first photo in the design brief shows, the owner now has the entire block except for those 2 heritage buildings, which are separately managed by Fleming property management.

i love the new design. I'd just point out that the 'urban park' is really just a setback area on one corner. Nice to have, but hardly an urban square.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa