HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 7:34 AM

has anyone seen the mountain in copenhagen? story about it in the september dwell magazine...

interesting idea

a link to it - a huge image... http://www.archdaily.com/wp-content/...71dsc-0477.jpg

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 3:00 PM
+

Update - Oct. 5

Added the following images to first page of thread!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 4:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
Update - Oct. 5

Added the following images to first page of thread!

Hed Kandi: Is that in Rua Oscar Freire in Sao Paulo Brazil? It seems some stores architecture there.

Btw, i would like to contribute to you improving this wooooonderful inspirations with this already reality organic from Himmel+Blau Architects in Munich City.

BMW Welt: http://www.onsline.de/wp-content/upl...hority_002.jpg
http://www.kera.org/artandseek/conte...-muchen_11.jpg

But it is really very sad, that out world cities is not yet sooooo futuristic looking... with so much talent outside and technology to do...

Congratulations for this marvellous projects found, then. I would be satisfied if the city i live would be plenty of those things...

Last edited by M.K.; Oct 5, 2009 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 6:12 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Looking at some of the designs makes me interested in a few places and wary in others.

Essentially... I don't really like buildings that look sci-fi or way out of the ordinary compared to the majority. As an example I really didn't like the design for that round building with the round hole in it >.<

It's actually a cool mall called The Core Pacific Living Mall

The exterior looks like this...

More pics:

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 7:29 AM

no... i mean the round huge office building with a hole on the top-right corner. >.<

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 7:34 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Let's not continue updating the first post: it's really not necessary and it just puts a lot of stress into SSP servers. This is why sometimes we get the error messages when we log onto SSP, one because everyone is on at once, and two, servers allocate resources to these threads that have way too many images on a page.

This is why there is a maximum 10 images per post rule under Section 1-#9. It makes our lives easier and makes people's lives easier by having to wait less for a single post full of images. Let's be courteous to others alright?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 4:35 AM
+

Oct 10 - A few new photos!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2009, 5:10 AM
Shoebox Dweller

I think that some of the architectural variety in Vancouver can be achieved by avoiding floor to ceiling windows. A lot of the buildings that we all like in Vancouver are probably more visually interesting because of the fact that they don't have floor to ceiling windows. This allows the architect to play with more surfaces and use a variety of different materials to add interest to the building, instead of using the overall shape of the building, glass colouring, or other random elements in order to achieve slight architectural variation.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 4:30 PM
+

Updated Nov. 6

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
I think that some of the architectural variety in Vancouver can be achieved by avoiding floor to ceiling windows. A lot of the buildings that we all like in Vancouver are probably more visually interesting because of the fact that they don't have floor to ceiling windows. This allows the architect to play with more surfaces and use a variety of different materials to add interest to the building, instead of using the overall shape of the building, glass colouring, or other random elements in order to achieve slight architectural variation.
Agreed.
Also note that this is also necessitated by the City's distaste for reflective glass (which provides a more "solid" surface wrt the shape and appearance of a building (whereas transparent glass does not)).

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 11:18 PM
Vancouver User

How about this new tower in the South of Spain:

More info here.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 11:03 PM

^ Those are pretty cool, they would look great on the English Bay waterfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
[B]
This one reminds me of a modern take on UBC Museum of Anthropology.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 8:30 PM
Vancouver User

Acqua Tower Chicago

A series of contours defined by outdoor terraces extends away from the face of the tower structure to provide views between neighboring buildings. These outdoor terraces, cantilevered up to twelve feet, differ in shape from floor to floor. The terraces inflect based on criteria such as the view, solar shading and size and type of dwelling. When viewed together, these unique terraces make the building appear to undulate, presenting a highly sculptural appearance that is rooted in function. Aqua creates a strong identity through its architecture and has become a landmark addition to the Chicago skyline.

More Info at Contemporist.com

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 10:34 PM

I agree that some of these look pretty cool, but they simply don't relate to the environment around them. We live in a geographically stunning environment; I see no point in trying to out-do nature with architecture in a place like Vancouver. While I think we can always be looking to raise the bar on what we currently have, putting in place some giant starchitect-designed monstrosity would really look a bit ridiculous to the outside world.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 10:50 PM

A monstrosity is a monstrosity no matter where you put it.

Personally I have no problem with designs that compliment and even interact with the natural beauty, but there needs to be a lot less monotony. Shangri-la, One Wall, Woodwards, and Fairmont are excellent departures from the typical Vancouver condo. I had hoped that, based on initial renderings, Capitol would be similar, but oh well. Here is hoping that Jamieson Place and the building formerly known as RC will continue the trend of buildings in Vancouver that step it up a notch in terms of design variety.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:07 AM
+

Great shot of Aqua! This one becomes a real beauty when night falls.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 4:23 PM
Vancouver User

World's Largest LED Project @/on the YAS Hotel

Quote:
The YAS Hotel in Abu Dhabi was recently completed, and its curvilinear grid-shell which is covered with over 5,300 diamond-shaped steel panels, containing nearly 5000 LED fixtures is being announced as the world’s largest LED project controlled through RDM (Remote Device Management).

More here.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 4:57 PM
Vancouver User

Urban Forest Skyscraper by MAD Architects

This is really neat...

Quote:
Inspired by mountainous Chinese landscapes and the traditional villages built their hillsides, MAD Architects has unveiled plans to create a towering vertical Urban Forest. Designed for Chongqing, China, the projects consists of a stacked vertical forest set in the heart of the city, designed to bring more nature and open space in a dense and compact way. MAD Architects is becoming more known for their sustainable designs, and hopefully the green design aspects of this new tower extend beyond the garden spaces on each floor.
More here.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 6:20 PM
+

A little retail inspiration...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 1:58 AM
+

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues