HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 11:40 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

This is a great spot to continue to tie together dead zones around the downtown. It's unfortunate the red parking garage will separate this from Ogilvie Square but it's certainly a massive improvement on what is mostly a giant ashtray the closer you get to the food court doors. There is the small plaza/outdoor at the Albion Rooms across the street at least... but of course that sidewalk is obstructed by the Novotel entrance.

It's actually a shame they built that stupid garage so close to the sidewalk. More shitty planning overall. The garage entrance and exit is actually a little intimidating to cross, especially with cars going straight through the intersection.

In a perfect world the vertical circulation to Mackenzie King would be on the same side of the street as opposed to the Hostel side but there is still that connection. I like the concept of being able to cut through areas diagonally as the crow flies. Nothing worse than having to walk all the way around a bunch of fences, buildings and railings.

I especially like how the glass extends all the way to the balcony edges on the north tower similar to the Met. This is a nice trend I wouldn't mind seeing more often.

The beige brick podium on the south tower mirrors the old registry building very nicely. The sleek glass extended entrance to the mall is a great visual separation showing that you are going to a different place than the tower.

The driveways are a bit excessive. I'd like to see them somehow integrate the driveways with the parking access for the mall itself. 5 perpendicular sidewalk crossings in such a short space is kind of ridiculous. Granted... I have a hard time seeing an appreciable amount of foot traffic heading south and under the bridge but nonetheless I would like to see that reworked. Somehow find a way to swing the two garage doors around the side... move the main entrance as close as possible to the center/sidewalk and perhaps do away with the circular drive and make a curbside flex space for pickup and drop off. Unless of course fire code requires that type of front door access?

That's about the only fault I see in the project right now.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
The thread title is correct at 66m and 21f, according to the site plan and elevations in the latest Architectural Package, and the Project Description:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...2-0024/details

Where are your numbers coming from?
Straight from the most recent site plan. I see where my mistake came from. The 'required' base height is not accurate to the proposal. As for the 22 floors, I am indeed correct. If we are considering this ONE building, then the building has 22 floors. The actual height from base to architectural peak is 69.1m. I firmly believe we should title threads with the height from base to architectural peak, as I have stated in the past, which aligns with the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat way of measuring.

Last edited by Harley613; Sep 2, 2022 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2022, 11:48 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Reading the doc Harley...

It looks to me as though the bottom of P3 is 57m(above sea level?) and level 1 is at 67m

The top of the roof is 132.6m/parapet 133.1m/elevator 136.1m

That would put us at 65.6m from ground floor to roof with 21 floors.

That is how I am reading it on page 15.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Reading the doc Harley...

It looks to me as though the bottom of P3 is 57m(above sea level?) and level 1 is at 67m

The top of the roof is 132.6m/parapet 133.1m/elevator 136.1m

That would put us at 65.6m from ground floor to roof with 21 floors.

That is how I am reading it on page 15.
I posted where I was right and where I was wrong at the same time you posted this

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 12:26 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I posted where I was right and where I was wrong at the same time you posted this
I still only see 21 floors and a rooftop deck.

But heck yes

Old Posted Sep 3, 2022, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
I still only see 21 floors and a rooftop deck.

But heck yes
Agreed. I just counted. Pretty confusing design to be honest 🤣

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 9:01 AM

I actually really like this development, integrated into Rideau (giving the area direct life), and right beside the station. It's a great development.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 2:37 PM

For sure, this is a really nice proposal. I would have preferred charcoal brick on the modern part of the podium (I know we're all sick of charcoal, but it would be minimal compared to other projects and make the Registrar's Office pop-out more). I also dislike the 5, count them, 5 driveways in a row. I wish they could, at the bare minimum, remove the drop off (this is not a hotel, though I wish it was in part) and better yet, have the garage entrance and receiving use the existing ramps.

And of course, taller, but we all no that can't happen.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 9:01 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Rideau Centre high-rise gets a yes from planning committee; thumbs down for tower projects in Hintonburg, Rothwell Heights area

Taylor Blewett, Ottawa Citizen
Sep 08, 2022 • 29 minutes ago • 3 minute read

There was no need for a hard sell by the owners of the Rideau Centre at planning committee on Thursday.

Members quickly endorsed the application by Cadillac Fairview to blend heritage, housing and commerce in a mixed-use development on the east side of Ottawa’s signature mall.

The retail giant wants to integrate the 150-year-old City Registry Office at 70 Nicholas St. — which currently sits shuttered and vacant — into the base of a 21-storey, 288-apartment development, where it plans to offer ground-level shopping and a new entrance to the mall.

Their proposal for the site at the corner of Daly Avenue and Nicholas Street also includes a new two-level underground parking garage and 219 bike parking spaces.

Despite some opposition from community members, whose concerns included height and heritage protection, the area’s councillor, Mathieu Fleury, had glowing praise for the project in written comments accompanying the staff report to committee, particularly about its vision to revitalize the 19th-century City Registry Office.

The developers have already received permission to relocate the heritage building 20 metres north of where it sits now, and were at committee Thursday for a zoning bylaw amendment and permission to alter the structure, which will become accessible to the public once again when the project is completed.

“For years, the registry building has remained closed and unused. This integration with the new development will allow this beautiful building to come alive again stylishly and thoughtfully,” Fleury wrote, adding that “this new proposal will reinvigorate and create a welcoming public realm for Nicholas Street.”

<snip>

All three files are scheduled for council consideration on Sept. 21.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...l-heights-area

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 8:11 PM

From Le Droit
Important projet immobilier au Centre Rideau
Les préparatifs sur le terrain commenceront sous peu au Centre Rideau à Ottawa où un immeuble de 288 logements sera construit avec façade sur la rue Nicholas. Le projet privé de plus de 100 millions $ dans le centre-ville ne prévoit cependant aucun logement abordable.

According to the article:
-Estimated completion in 2026
-The old registry would become a bistro
-Rideau Registry will be the name of the tower (if I'm reading this correctly)
-Resident will have direct access to the rideau centre and LRT station

https://www.ledroit.com/2022/12/05/i...box=1670270375

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 10:24 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Historic City Registry Office to gain new life as bistro as part of residential development project
Cadillac Fairview officially began construction of a 288-unit residential rental building on Monday at the corner of Daly Avenue and Nicholas Street, east of the Rideau Centre.

Andrew Duffy, Ottawa Citizen
Dec 05, 2022 • 57 minutes ago • 3 minute read

Ottawa’s 148-year-old City Registry Office, a designated heritage building, will be moved, refurbished and converted into a bistro as part of a residential development project being launched by owners of the Rideau Centre.

Cadillac Fairview officially began construction of a 288-unit residential rental building on Monday at the corner of Daly Avenue and Nicholas Street, east of the Rideau Centre. The 21-storey tower will be known as the Rideau Registry residences.

The development will incorporate the City Registry Office, opened in 1874 as part of what was then the city’s judicial precinct.

Former Heritage Ottawa president David Flemming has called the building a “stunning example of a 19th century land office.”

It’s one of only four such buildings still standing in Ontario, but it has sat empty and neglected for decades.

“Cadillac Fairview is pleased that the historic registry office will be given new life and purpose as a prominent feature of the Rideau Registry residences,” said Wayne Barwise, the firm’s executive vice-president of development, at an official sod turning.

“This is going to transform the street — right now this is an under-utilized corner — and it will bring some exciting new life to it,” said Barwise.

The registry office will be moved about 20 metres north on Nicholas Street and integrated into the ground floor of the new tower, which will be linked to the Rideau Centre.

Located across the street from the former Carleton County Courthouse and jail, the registry office housed all of the city’s most important documents — property deeds, lot surveys and mortgages — during its first four decades.

Built to withstand fire, flood and thieves, the registry boasts thick walls and a stone foundation that extends four metres underground to discourage anyone from tunnelling into it. Solid iron doors protected documents against fire.

The city outgrew the building by 1909 when Ottawa’s registry office moved into larger quarters on Elgin Street. The building at 70 Nicholas St. was leased to the Women’s Canadian Historical Society of Ottawa and then the Bytown and Ottawa Historical Museum.

It was sold to the federal government and became home to the Ottawa Tourist and Convention Bureau. It then played host to a youth drop-in centre, a service centre for new Canadians and other short-term tenants.

It has been vacant since 1980.

In the 1990s, the federal government sold the City Registry Office to the Viking-Rideau Corporation, the former owner of the Rideau Centre, without any guarantee the building would be preserved.

Heritage Ottawa has campaigned to save the registry office ever since.

In 2021, Cadillac Fairview announced plans to develop the site with a mixed-use highrise apartment building, ground-level shopping, an underground parking garage and a repurposed registry office. In September, city council gave it the green light.

Cadillac Fairview is investing more than $100 million in the project, which will not have an affordable housing component.

Rideau-Vanier Coun. Stéphanie Plante said the development will help reinvigorate Ottawa’s downtown core and serve as an important addition to the city’s rental housing stock. But Plante said she would like to see some people from Ottawa Community Housing’s wait list have a chance to move into the building.

Andrew Peck, executive director of the Downtown Rideau BIA, welcomed the development. “I think it will mean more feet in the street, which I think will be great for the neighbourhood and our businesses,” he said.

Brian O’Hoski, general manager of the Rideau Centre, said the shopping centre has largely recovered from the damage inflicted by this year’s truckers’ protest, which shut down its retailers for 23 days. He said he’s following news of another protest being organized for Februrary.

“We’re watching the rumours like everybody else,” he said. “Obviously, we don’t want to see anything like that happen again.”

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...opment-project

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 10:37 PM

Too bad this is in a protected view plane. I have long dreamed of a marquis 40+ story tower here.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 1:50 PM

Here's a perspective from Ogilvy Square.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 2:03 PM

I'm quite excited about this project eventho its only 21 stories high. I think its gonna have a big positive impact to the area. the surrounding has some of the best heritage building (old jail, the art court, the Albion room building, the old registry) and yet it has always felt like the back of the Rideau centre and the pedestrian realm is awful. I think this project really adds the missing piece for this area.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 2:11 PM

This should be a great addition, but with trucks still roaring in front of this future development, it's a little strange to see it go through now. Maybe Cadillac Fairview, and the future influential residents of this building, can do their part in pushing for a solution to the truck traffic.

Looking forward to the day the parking garage is redeveloped as well.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This should be a great addition, but with trucks still roaring in front of this future development, it's a little strange to see it go through now. Maybe Cadillac Fairview, and the future influential residents of this building, can do their part in pushing for a solution to the truck traffic.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure trucks dont actually take that route. They turn on Waller from Rideau street and have their reserve ramp to go down on Nicholas at Mckenzie bridge. The section of Nicholas that this building is on is only for "car" traffic (yes delivery trucks do use it, but the big big trucks that come from the 50 and wanna go to the 417 dont use that street)

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure trucks dont actually take that route. They turn on Waller from Rideau street and have their reserve ramp to go down on Nicholas at Mckenzie bridge. The section of Nicholas that this building is on is only for "car" traffic (yes delivery trucks do use it, but the big big trucks that come from the 50 and wanna go to the 417 dont use that street)
Yes, you're correct. I always get mixed-up. They take the ramp from Waller to Nicholas just north of the MacKenzie-King Bridge.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
J.Ot.13
If 'trucks' 'roaring' were actually an issue for anybody, then nothing in this area would exist...

Like, I know this is the literal armpit of the City, but what are the alternatives? Just leave it to be an armpit?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

Was not aware Rideau Centre parking garage was to be re-developed or am I thinking the wrong one?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
Was not aware Rideau Centre parking garage was to be re-developed or am I thinking the wrong one?
No current plans, but eventually, it will be redeveloped. Below was from the Rideau expansion DevApps in 2013.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=285

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa