HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 8:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Car2Go coming to NOLA. This is a big deal, the ability to go point to point and rent by the minute make it quite different than other car sharing companies.
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gamb...nt?oid=2590570
It is a big deal and a great idea and concept. Its basically the car version of citibikes. I like the idea of being able to use something and not having to worry about returning it to another area, makes it much more convenient and practical.

Bakers Row Condos being developed on old Hubigs Pie Site;

Canal Street Beat Article:

http://canalstreetbeat.com/check-out...bigs-pie-site/

Preview photos of the soon to open St Roch Market:

http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2015...pring.php#more

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 3, 2015 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 10:39 PM

21 story hotel on Canal

Review board wants more changes to Canal hotel plans

By: Robin Shannon, Reporter March 3, 2015 0

New designs for a 21-story double hotel at the corner of Canal and Tchoupitoulas streets show efforts to preserve historic buildings in the project’s footprint, but the tweaks were not enough to sway a review panel for the Historic District Landmarks Commission.

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz3TMgnkOfT

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 11:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
Review board wants more changes to Canal hotel plans

By: Robin Shannon, Reporter March 3, 2015 0

New designs for a 21-story double hotel at the corner of Canal and Tchoupitoulas streets show efforts to preserve historic buildings in the project’s footprint, but the tweaks were not enough to sway a review panel for the Historic District Landmarks Commission.

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz3TMgnkOfT
My feelings are all over the place with this project . I understand many of the complaints against it and I know something needs to be done with this corner. I think 70 feet is probably not the right size for this corner it should be higher. I also have issues with the owner who has in my mind not been good for this city. Hes allowed many of his buildings to deteriorate or go underutilized not to mention his t shirt shops that have plagued us forever. whats everyone else here think? Im really struggling with this one.

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 4, 2015 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Car2Go coming to NOLA. This is a big deal, the ability to go point to point and rent by the minute make it quite different than other car sharing companies.
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gamb...nt?oid=2590570
As a New Orleanian living in Austin right now, I think this will do wonders for the city as a whole. New Orleans needs efficient transportation, especially for transplants moving into the city who might not have a car, as well as tourists. Cars2go has all those intangibles, along with the glamour that goes along with it. This is big.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 2:07 AM

Regarding the Canal St. hotel proposal, I also have some reservations. I think given who's involved, they should not allow any of the historic buildings to be demolished. If they want to build on the empty land and demolish the one story building, I say let them build as high as they want. But I certainly don't want a situation where the historic buildings are demolished only to have the developers declare that they lost financing and they space ends up a parking lot or Walgreens. If they need a bigger lot, then there are plenty of other spaces farther up Canal or along Loyola or Poydras.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 2:37 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Regarding the Canal St. hotel proposal, I also have some reservations. I think given who's involved, they should not allow any of the historic buildings to be demolished. If they want to build on the empty land and demolish the one story building, I say let them build as high as they want. But I certainly don't want a situation where the historic buildings are demolished only to have the developers declare that they lost financing and they space ends up a parking lot or Walgreens. If they need a bigger lot, then there are plenty of other spaces farther up Canal or along Loyola or Poydras.
Agree there are conditions you can set on the deal ... Like 2 million non refundable deposit that is refunded once construction begins on the approved project . Only force majeure could let someone out. Basically you lose the funds by not performing. Also i think it's a good project to get some assets for the surrounding block if they are given the waivers. There are plenty of things you can do to guarantee performance

A couple more Images of the 412 Okeefe Garage that just applied for permit to build

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 4, 2015 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 5:43 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
As a New Orleanian living in Austin right now, I think this will do wonders for the city as a whole. New Orleans needs efficient transportation, especially for transplants moving into the city who might not have a car, as well as tourists. Cars2go has all those intangibles, along with the glamour that goes along with it. This is big.
Yep.

Separately, it looks like RTA/Veolia are (for once) on the forefront of some new transit technology. Exciting!
http://rideneworleans.org/join-a-tea...f154-410092337

The St. Roch market looks beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 10:40 PM

Lee Circle

I'm sure it must have been covered here but I missed it. What's that they're building on Lee Circle?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 12:03 AM
TL;DR

^ New offices for GNO Foundation. Beautiful design, exactly what that site needs. Just like a David Chipperfield or something.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ New offices for GNO Foundation. Beautiful design, exactly what that site needs. Just like a David Chipperfield or something.

It's hard to tell if you're serious or not, but I found it funny you mentioned Chipperfield. A library clad in gold panels came to mind...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 2:54 AM
TL;DR

What, you mean you don't see the resemblance?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 3:03 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
It's hard to tell if you're serious or not, but I found it funny you mentioned Chipperfield. A library clad in gold panels came to mind...
Didnt know who he was..after Googling Id say its a spot on reference.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 7:07 PM

Canal Street Developers?

Anyone want to be a Canal Street developer? One of the lots to be auctioned (http://theadvocate.com/news/neworleans/neworleansnews/11769779-123/new-orleans-starts-process-to-auction) by the city is the big grass lot on the corner of Canal and S. Liberty Street. It's perfect for high-rise residential or hotel with commercial space on the ground floor. It's not very often a prime lot like this comes around so I hope something great happens here!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 8:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Anyone want to be a Canal Street developer? One of the lots to be auctioned (http://theadvocate.com/news/neworleans/neworleansnews/11769779-123/new-orleans-starts-process-to-auction) by the city is the big grass lot on the corner of Canal and S. Liberty Street. It's perfect for high-rise residential or hotel with commercial space on the ground floor. It's not very often a prime lot like this comes around so I hope something great happens here!
Im going to bid on a few... regardless this is exciting stuff to see these properties getting put back into commerce. Great for tax rolls and the neighborhoods themselves.

South Market District Photos:

Apartments 800 Block Baronne:

Ace Hotel Renovations, Aloft Hotel/The Strand Apartments, 600 Block of Baronne Apartments:

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 6, 2015 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 11:19 PM

Speaking of GNOF, looks like there's some movement beginning on the site.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 12:19 AM
-

Whats the plan for those plain white parcels that don't appear to be anything? They don't show them as surface parking at this time and no surface parking is built on them either so Im curious what the short term plan is for them.

BTW in case anyone is interested the ULI is hosting a tour of the facility next Thursday. Ill be in attendance and hopefully get some answers, unless one of you already knows!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Whats the plan for those plain white parcels that don't appear to be anything? They don't show them as surface parking at this time and no surface parking is built on them either so Im curious what the short term plan is for them.

BTW in case anyone is interested the ULI is hosting a tour of the facility next Thursday. Ill be in attendance and hopefully get some answers, unless one of you already knows!
The white squares are all going to be green/park space, see bottom of page 11 (http://www.doa.louisiana.gov/fpc/Mon...2015-Final.pdf).

Yes, it's better than a parking lot. But, I wish the land hadn't been expropriated to just leave empty for who knows how long. The corner of Claiborne/Canal should absolutely be sold to a developer, but since it was expropriated by the state for development, under the Louisiana Constitution, the state must either offer the properties back to the original owners, or wait 30 years before re-selling the land to new private developers. (http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~ras277...stproperty.htm)

Maybe leaving/renovating the old Grand Palace Hotel wouldn't have been such a bad idea after all.

Last edited by Blitzen; Mar 10, 2015 at 6:06 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 6:10 AM
life is good

Indeed. I remember remarking (on here under my prior handle) that demolition was a terrible idea. That high rise was fine structurally just needed a gut reno. Damn shame.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:10 PM

For what it is worth...watching that building implode in person was one of the coolest things I have ever seen!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 5:49 PM
TL;DR

For what it's worth, I voted against that amendment... It just adds needless complication to redevelopment projects all over the state.

That being said, there's no guarantee the original landowners would even want the property back. They received compensation initially, now they would have to pay fair market value for the land, which has improved in value for commercial purposes by the addition of a two major hospitals adjacent and the general redevelopment of the area.

Really, though, the state has no interest in redeveloping at this time. They are just land banking for undefined future needs, which is a piss-poor way to build a city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations