HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 6, 2023, 5:39 PM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Sep 8, 2023, 3:55 PM
你的媽媽

This one is now topped out with facade installation complete!

Scale great, urbanism excellent, affordability excellent, architecture pretty decent considering its an affordable housing project, with little to no additional VE'ing. Just an overall master class.

The specs:
- 9 floors, 88 ft
- 70 units (70 studios)
- All of the units will be affordable
- Parking for 0 cars and 70 bicycles

The site:
https://goo.gl/maps/bFswjLF3hnwdScR39

Quote:
Affordable Housing For 180 Jones Street, Tenderloin, San Francisco

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON SEPTEMBER 8, 2023

Construction has topped out with facade installation complete for the nine-story residential infill at 180 Jones Street in San Francisco’s Tenderloin. The development replaced a surface parking lot with 70 units of affordable housing. The Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation is the project sponsor.

The 92-foot tall structure contains around 38,500 square feet of housing, including a 590 square foot courtyard and 2,850 square feet of common space. All 70 units will be studio sized, of which 35 will be subsidized for adults existing homelessness, 34 units for households earning between 40-65% of the Area Median Income, and one unit for the on-site manager. The ground floor will include a common area, social worker’s office, a supervisor office, and additional offices for residents.

Van Meter Williams Pollack is the project architect. Facade materials will include cement plaster, metal panels, masonry, and a transparent vertical louver screen. The concrete structure showcases the angled double-height bay windows facing Jones Street and Turk Street. A second-floor courtyard will provide residents will a furnished open space next to the laundry room.

The 0.11-acre parcel is located at the corner of Jones Street and Turk Street, just one block from Serif SF and the recently-opened IKEA. Residents will be close to Powell Street BART, the Father Alfred Boeddeker Park, and a plethora of restaurants.
https://sfyimby.com/2023/09/affordab...francisco.html

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 6:41 PM

It does say as much in the archived article link

Quote:
"Now we have five buildings that are half under construction and we are $20 million into building. I said, 'if you're telling us we can't do it, then we can't finish the project. What should we do?' And he's like, 'well, demolish them,'" Eastwood added. "Obviously, that answer doesn't work for us."

The developer alleges that the city has shot down solutions he's proposed and held his team to unfair standards, ultimately requiring him to commit up to a complex and costly infrastructure project that would ensure compliance. Even with his agreement, Eastwood said that it has failed to issue permits for the infrastructure work. Without it, the alternative may be to tear down the new homes.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequenosparkee View Post
It does say as much in the archived article link
Right... Just didn't understand why it was being emphasized given it's clearly hypothetical and, as you point out "won't work for them". I thought it was clear

Regardless, what a f*cked up mess.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 4:23 PM

This isn't a serious proposal right now still thought it was worth sharing:

Quote:
"These are some early conceptual renderings by Gensler as part of its feasibility study solely for testing purposes," a Gensler spokesperson said Wednesday.
Quote:
"We want to give people an understanding of what could happen and get a developer and others excited about making investments into the stadium as a way to diversify what happens in the Downtown area," Breed said.
The concept looks a lot better than I expected it to and it's nice that they incorporated historic facades & the rotunda into the plan, but I still don't know if a stadium that's utilized for only a fraction of the year would be the best activation for the space. I do like that they're exploring lots of options for ways to bring people downtown though.

Source: https://sfstandard.com/2023/08/23/do...mall-revealed/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 4:42 PM
你的媽媽

^ Interesting proposal.

I do agree that any redevelopment here would absolutely need to retain the facade and rotunda. Anything eliminating it would be a nonstarter in my book. Also, do you know if the building on 865 Market has any historic value? I believe it used to be a Hale's back in the day, and the facade was redone at some point, so maybe not worth saving like the original Emporium building. There's also the existing buildings like Hotel Zetta and The Pickwick Hotel to consider how to incorporate. I also like that they'd be getting rid of the Fifth & Mission / Yerba Buena Parking Garage and replacing it with a pedestrian only street, although all the bus lines would have to be rerouted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obemearg View Post
The concept looks a lot better than I expected it to and it's nice that they incorporated historic facades & the rotunda into the plan, but I still don't know if a stadium that's utilized for only a fraction of the year would be the best activation for the space. I do like that they're exploring lots of options for ways to bring people downtown though.
True, although you could also argue that the space is not currently being activated to its full potential, and seeing how malls/retail are largely obsolete aside from a handful of "lifestyle" centers like Valley Fair or Stanford Shopping Center, may not ever be again in its current format.

Are there other examples of heart of downtown soccer stadiums around the US/world? I wonder if the space can be used during non game days for concerts, other community events and/or farmers markets and things like that.

Last edited by homebucket; Aug 24, 2023 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 6:21 PM

reminds me of the 1960s proposal for Yerba Buena that included an arena

Yerba Buena Center (1969) by Erica Fischer, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
reminds me of the 1960s proposal for Yerba Buena that included an arena

Yerba Buena Center (1969) by Erica Fischer, on Flickr
It's quite ugly but why did this never get built?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 8:49 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRinconHill View Post
It's quite ugly but why did this never get built?
According to Wiki:

Quote:
The idea of building a conference center, under the name Yerba Buena Center, in downtown San Francisco was a further development of the idea stemming from the late 1950s to redevelop the city center, particularly the industrial areas that were gradually falling into disuse. At the heart of the proposal was the vision of the city transforming from an industrial to a tourist-conventioneering city. The idea of the Yerba Buena Center itself first emerged in the early 1960s. At that time there was a concern about how development could occur in the downtown area. The South of Market area offered hundreds of acres of flat land at low land prices. Various corporate committees were founded to lobby for the redevelopment, which would also include high-rise office buildings, a vast parking garage, and a sports center. At the center of operations was the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency (SFRA) first headed by Joseph Alioto, who would go on to become mayor of the city in 1968. The area of the development was regarded as a blighted area of the city, even referred to by local media, local business and city officials as 'skid row'. However, the developers did not figure on the persistence of the local community, the vast majority of which were aged, male, ex-industrial workers who lived alone in the many cheap hotels in the area. Together the latter formed the Tenants and Owners in Opposition to Redevelopment (TOOR). Their demand was to be rehoused in the area in low-rent housing. The case went to court where the judge, Stan Weigel, judged in favor of TOOR. Things changed with the election of a new city mayor, George Moscone, in 1976, who spearheaded construction. The Gardens was later built as part of a deal by Mayor Moscone with developers to "set aside land and funds for cultural institutions such as museums, exhibits, and theaters."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_Buena_Gardens

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 10:33 PM

I do really hope the mall finds another buyer. If it weren't for the artificially deflated foot traffic resulting from the reputation of the Mid-Market area, it could be one of the busiest urban malls in the country. It's not a bad location for a stadium, but I would prefer trying to save what remaining commercial activity we have on that section of Market.

In order for any of that proposal to be a reality though, San Francisco needs an MLS franchise first.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2023, 3:01 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I don't like the fact that some of the older buildings on the corner of Mission/ 5th and Mission/ 4th would get the axe.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 5:34 PM

Dollar store at 2100 Mission came down

https://missionlocal.org/2020/03/new...-rate-project/

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 7:35 PM

I left San Francisco 14 years ago. It has always had its problems. I lived there for 16 years and never saw any improvement. I'm sad to see that it has become so bad that entire malls have failed because of it. As a progressive I'm proud of how far we have come but we have failed this beautiful city. I'm embarrassed. It really doesn't have to be like this.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntcard View Post
I left San Francisco 14 years ago. It has always had its problems. I lived there for 16 years and never saw any improvement. I'm sad to see that it has become so bad that entire malls have failed because of it. As a progressive I'm proud of how far we have come but we have failed this beautiful city. I'm embarrassed. It really doesn't have to be like this.
The SF homeless coalition is the main root of the problem. They promote homelessness status quo or make it worse. They are not interested in helping solve the problem. They sued and block San Francisco from clearing encampments. I hope none of our tax money is going to them.

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco...ps-injunction/

In general, majority of San Francisco is clean and safe. The Tenderloin and parts of SOMA is where you will see zombies and open drug dealing. Police needs to enforce the laws and courts must be stern in their conviction. Also, we cannot let mentally ill people roam the streets, that is inhumane.

I'm liberal, but I no longer believe in criminal reform in reducing sentences that involves hard drugs and larceny. It doesn't work, and made the problem much worse.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 8:58 PM

A 25k soccer stadium in the heart of Downtown San Francisco sounds and looks amazing! It would've been more feasible if we didn't have a Bay Area MLS in San Jose already. Maybe we can host another team in SF like how LA and New York have 2 teams but seems very unlikely to me.

It would be a perfect venue for concerts though. There's a TON of events at Bill Graham (8.5k capacity) and Shoreline (18k capacity) that the soccer stadium can handle and would be perfect with the BART station right there.

Maybe if they can implement stores in the exterior so there would be continues foot traffic as people visit/check out the stadium then it would be a match made in heaven

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 2:57 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
One of San Francisco's largest rooftop bars will soar above Union Square
By Susana Guerrero
Sep 12, 2023

When Chotto Matte opens its doors next month, the newest addition to Union Square is expected to be one of the largest restaurants and rooftop bars in San Francisco.

Ahead of the grand opening slated for October, SFGATE was invited to a media preview of Chotto Matte, on the eighth floor of the former Macy’s men’s department store. The Japanese-Peruvian restaurant is expected to host 400 guests in a dining space that will feature a lava stone sushi counter, a DJ booth and a vast wine display.

San Francisco has been a huge focus for Chotto Matte ever since the international restaurant chain first announced its plans to debut the massive eatery back in 2021. Chotto Matte’s grand opening was proposed for September, but it has been pushed back to late October while crews complete construction and last-minute details. Once it opens, the San Francisco outpost will be the largest Chotto Matte site, larger than even its flagship restaurant in London.

“In the heart of Union Square, we hope to blend into its electric energy and vibrant culinary scene, bringing our innovative dining offerings to its discerning food lovers,” Chotto Matte founder Kurt Zdesar told SFGATE via email last month.

A private elevator lift will take guests to the top floor of 50 O'Farrell St., where they will first spot a robata grill before catching sweeping views of Union Square’s shopping district and the cityscape on the exterior dining terrace. The space features floor-to-ceiling windows that can be opened or closed to help keep guests warm during the evenings and the chilly winter months ahead.

General manager Adam Chapman told SFGATE that Chotto Matte aspires to add to San Francisco’s energetic nightlife, pointing to where the forthcoming DJ booth and sushi counter will eventually be. Specific operational hours have not been released, but Chapman said the restaurant will likely stay open until 1 a.m., which is later than neighboring rooftop bars Charmaine’s and Kaiyo.
https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/...P-CP-Spotlight

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 3:31 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
AIASF Opens Center For Architecture + Design In Historic San Francisco Building

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:00 AM ON SEPTEMBER 12, 2023

The American Institute of Architects, San Francisco, opened its new headquarters and the Center for Architecture + Design last Friday at 140 Sutter Street in downtown San Francisco. The civic-minded institution will provide a new cultural hub for lectures, events, and film screenings inside the historic Hallidie Building. Aidlin Darling Design, a San Francisco-based architecture firm, is responsible for the interior design, working alongside a team of collaborators.

Joshua Aidlin of Aidlin Darling Design said about the firm’s work, ”the Center is about bringing together people from different backgrounds in a physical space—a cultural destination for the community, where one can be inspired by the power of design.” The sparse interior intervention complements the exposed concrete pillars with warm wooden panels.

Across from the abstract sculptural concierge desk that greets visitors are the natural-lit storefront cafe space and the large double-height lecture hall. The back of the center includes a gallery and meeting room. The mezzanine level of the 10,000-square-foot space will create a new office space for AIASF.

Charles Higueras, Chair of the Board for the center, said ahead of the event last Friday, “Finally, we have a place dedicated to helping our diverse city understand the importance of well-designed spaces and places. The Center’s emergence now plays a key role in engaging the public in creating a more enduring and vibrant city.”

The Hallidie Building was constructed in 1918 with a design by Willis Polk and financing from the U.C. Regents. The architect said of the project, once complete, that “nothing like this building has ever been attempted in the world,” making it, by some accounts, the first-ever curtain wall building in the world. The city’s Historic Review of the project notes the “remarkable cantilevered and overscaled cornice, decorative fire escapes, and balconies.” The eight-story steel-frame building is named after Andrew Hallidie, a U.C. Regent and the inventor of the cable car.
https://sfyimby.com/2023/09/aiasf-op...-building.html

Old Posted Sep 20, 2023, 1:51 PM
你的媽媽

The specs for 1326 Powell:
- 8 floors, 88 ft
- 24 units (11 studios, 7 1BR, 4 2BR, 2 3BR)
- 3 of the units will be affordable
- 2,130 sq ft for ground level commercial
- Parking for 0 cars

The site:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/7hDAYkuSAX8cSQPm9

Quote:
Mixed-Use To Replace A Commercial Building At 1326 Powell Street, San Francisco

BY: YIMBY TEAM 4:30 AM ON SEPTEMBER 18, 2023

A new mixed-use building has been proposed for development at 1326 Powell Street in San Francisco. The project proposal will replace a two-story structure with an eight-story mixed-use project between Broadway and Pacific Avenue in Chinatown, by the neighborhood’s northern edge.

Cafe-owner Mahmoud Larizadeh is the property owner and the project developer. AXIS/GFA Architecture + Design is responsible for the design.

The 88-foot tall structure will yield 27,160 square feet, with 2,130 square feet dedicated to commercial use and 23,760 square feet for residential use. Unit sizes will range, with 11 studios, seven one-bedrooms, four two-bedrooms, and two three-bedroom units.

Three of the 24 units to be produced will be priced as low-income housing, providing the project with an additional seven units allowed thanks to the State Density Bonus program. Residential amenities will include a top-floor roof terrace spanning 627 square feet and an amenities room on the sixth floor beside a smaller outdoor deck. Façade material will compose of exposed concrete, plaster, painted wood siding, and metal finishes.
https://sfyimby.com/2023/09/mixed-us...francisco.html

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 2:56 PM
你的媽媽

The specs for 967 Mission:
- 9 floors, ? ft
- 95 units (63 studios, 32 1BR)
- All of the units will be affordable and restricted to seniors over 62
- Parking for 0 cars and ? bicycles

The site:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/dUwmFSDnmmf8vYeK8

Quote:
New Building Permits For 967 Mission Street In SoMa, San Francisco

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:00 AM ON SEPTEMBER 26, 2023

New building permits have been filed for an affordable senior housing community at 967 Mission Street in SoMa, San Francisco. The nine-story complex will replace the Kapwa Gardens between 5th and 6th Street with nearly a hundred homes. The project is being sponsored by the John Stewart Company and the Bayview Seniors Services organization.

While new building permits have been filed, kicking off the start of the review and ministerial process, the developers have yet to file a planning application with the city or submit a formal project plan set. The illustrations found by YIMBY came from a community meeting in mid-July this year. During the meeting, the design team showed off the new illustrations, offered two color palettes, and highlighted the four possible locations for public art installations across the facade.

Leddy Maytum Stacy Architects and Y.A. Studio are collaborating on the design. The project is imbued with regional design vernacular, including eight-story sawtooth bay windows and ground-level planters. Crowning the building will be a rooftop plan.

The project plan expects to create around 95 units, with apartment sizes ranging from approximately 63 studios and 32 one-bedrooms. Residential amenities will include a community room, laundry room, Bayview Senior Services office space, and a conference room. On-site management will be provided. The apartments will be restricted to applicants over 62, earning 30-60% of the Area Median Income, and formerly homeless families referred through the Federal HUD’s ‘Continuum of Care’ program.

City records show the property last sold in 2019 for $5.388 million. The 0.2-acre parcel extends from Mission Street to Minna Street, positioned between 5th and 6th Street and on the same block as the new public park in the 5M master development. The new IKEA and Powell Street BART Station are both just one block away on Market Street.
https://sfyimby.com/2023/09/new-buil...francisco.html

Old Posted Sep 26, 2023, 3:06 PM
你的媽媽

The summary for the 201 Van Ness (San Francisco Symphony Hall Renovation):
- Replace original facade with curtain-wall glass skin
- Expand Symphony Hall from 210,200 sq ft to 247,780 sq ft
- New 400-seat recital hall
- Main hall decrease from 2,700 seats to 2,100 seats
- Increased open space from 4,600 sq ft to 39,000 sq ft across several outdoor terraces
- Surface lot replaced with outdoor performance terrace and event space
- New two-level basement garage for 76 cars and 133 bicycles

The site:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/PCSjuy6SmJBWgmka6

Quote:
Significant San Francisco Symphony Hall Renovation Proposed
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON SEPTEMBER 26, 2023

The San Francisco Symphony has started the entitlement process for renovations of the Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall at 201 Van Ness Avenue in San Francisco’s Civic Center. While plans are preliminary, the Symphony has hired local Mark Cavagnero Associates and the world-renowned Gehry Partners to produce a dramatic reimagination inside and out. Construction is expected to cost at least $100 million.

The existing symphony hall was built in 1980 with a post-modern design by SOM and Pietro Belluschi. The project shows inspiration, reflecting the neighboring neo-classical icons, City Hall, and the Opera House, with sloped copper roofing and formal exterior organization. Futuristic details include two balconies extending out of the third floor. In a public statement, the Symphony writes that it is “exploring ways to enhance the physical space to make the building more publicly accessible, transparent, and operationally efficient.”

Mark Cavagnero Associates is responsible for designing the project lobby, exterior envelope, and new recital hall. Gehry Partners will oversee the design of the concert hall interior, utilizing the firm’s longstanding experience designing many concert hall interiors, the most famous being the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. Preliminary elevation plans show much of the original pre-cast facade, and a portion of the copper roofing will be replaced with curtain-wall glass skin and patterned shading ornamentation.

The project will expand the Symphony Hall from 210,200 square feet to 247,780 square feet, including a new 400-seat recital hall at the corner of Van Ness Avenue and Hayes Street. The interior hall will expand by 5,000 square feet, though the total seat capacity will decrease from 2,700 seats to 2,100 seats. Parking will be increased to hold 76 cars and 133 bicycles, shifting the capacity from a surface lot along Franklin Street into a two-level basement garage. An outdoor performance terrace and event space will replace the surface parking. The Zellerbach Hall at the corner of Franklin Street and Hayes Street will remain the same through construction.

OJB will be responsible for the landscape architecture. The plans will reduce the public space available along the streetscape with an expanded ground-level floor space, though compensated with widened sidewalks along Grove Street, Franklin Street, and Hayes Street. For visitors, though, the proposal could bring a remarkable expansion of open space, up from 4,600 square feet to 39,000 square feet across several outdoor terraces. The most significant will be the orchestra-level terrace above the lobby, providing a 10,500-square-foot balcony facing City Hall and punctuated with oculus skylights.
https://sfyimby.com/2023/09/signific...-proposed.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations