HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 9:02 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Does an accessible building need to have icy sunset tarmac photos in an architecture magazine or does it need to fit the needs for which the building was made for - accessible to those with disabilities?
definitely more important to have nice reflective sunset photos....can't win awards without it.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 9:04 PM

West Kildonan is a lot like south River Heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
West Kildonan is a lot like south River Heights... quiet neighbourhood, nice, tidy older homes but not so old as to be ancient, not too far from downtown, mature area with lots of amenities. I always thought it had more appeal than the level of interest in the area warranted.

Absolutely.Everything u mentioned.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 10:01 PM
surely you agree with me

^ totally underrated neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 11:01 PM

West Kildonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ totally underrated neighbourhood.
This could be the start of something big.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 6:37 AM

Quote:
West Kildonan is a lot like south River Heights... quiet neighbourhood, nice, tidy older homes but not so old as to be ancient, not too far from downtown, mature area with lots of amenities. I always thought it had more appeal than the level of interest in the area warranted.
Yeah I agree — Ive been working at Seven Oaks for the last couple months and Garden City is a great area with great amenities. The drive in though (and I often take either McPhilips or Leila from the south) is not a pretty one, but I can imagine if surrounding areas improve then West Kildonan may take off. I already think theres tons of interest in the area from immigrants, particularly Filipinos.

Also gotta plug Sugar Bistro, an awesome Hong Kong style restaurant in the area!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbean View Post
Yeah I agree — Ive been working at Seven Oaks for the last couple months and Garden City is a great area with great amenities. The drive in though (and I often take either McPhilips or Leila from the south) is not a pretty one, but I can imagine if surrounding areas improve then West Kildonan may take off. I already think theres tons of interest in the area from immigrants, particularly Filipinos.

Also gotta plug Sugar Bistro, an awesome Hong Kong style restaurant in the area!
If you live in West K the route up north Main is not a a beautiful one. BUT... it is possibly one of the easiest, most dependable commuting routes in the city. North Main is wide as hell, no real bottlenecks other than the CP underpass but even that is 6 lanes wide, good transit service. I'm not sure about cycling but I'd imagine there must be some decent options?

None of this waiting 20 minutes to cross a bridge to get to South Winnipeg nonsense.

McPhillips and Keewatin heading up towards Garden City, the Maples and Tyndall Park are different ballgames as they can get quite congested at rush hour.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
If you live in West K the route up north Main is not a a beautiful one. BUT... it is possibly one of the easiest, most dependable commuting routes in the city. North Main is wide as hell, no real bottlenecks other than the CP underpass but even that is 6 lanes wide, good transit service. I'm not sure about cycling but I'd imagine there must be some decent options?

None of this waiting 20 minutes to cross a bridge to get to South Winnipeg nonsense.

McPhillips and Keewatin heading up towards Garden City, the Maples and Tyndall Park are different ballgames as they can get quite congested at rush hour.
This place is like city hall - lots of people like to talk about bikes & transit but nobody actually uses them lol. Commuting from West K is about the worst possible option if you're on a bus or a bike.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
This place is like city hall - lots of people like to talk about bikes & transit but nobody actually uses them lol. Commuting from West K is about the worst possible option if you're on a bus or a bike.
I don't do it now but I used to commute by transit up Main in the past, it's well served by the 18 right up to West K and I don't know how you can say it's the "worst possible option".

I've cycled through West K reasonably extensively but haven't commuted to downtown by bike from there... like I said, there must be some good options?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
There’s no N/S bike lanes going from West K to DT. Hell there’s not even a E-W connection north of the tracks. It’s cut off at Keewatin at Burrows, or with the new Hydro Corridor bike lane, will be cut off at McPhillips Station. So yes currently it’s a terrible option to commute by cycling.

Don’t worry though, one of my jobs this summer is too identify potential bike corridors in the Northwest part of the city as the city has a surplus of $15 million from the new frontage levy imposed by Gilingham which will directly go into active transportation infrastructure.

For example, we have identified a key need to extend the Inkster bike lane all the way from Keewatin too Main Street, and once past Fife Ave would go through the tree median as it has enough space for a 5m bike lane. Main St itself has more then enough space to have 2-way protected bike lanes on BOTH sides of the road.

West K could be a cyclist paradise with a few implementations.

On another note, if anyone else in the North End (or really anywhere in the city) has suggestions for streets that would be good to have a bike lane, hit me up.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Don’t worry though, one of my jobs this summer is too identify potential bike corridors in the Northwest part of the city as the city has a surplus of $15 million from the new frontage levy imposed by Gilingham which will directly go into active transportation infrastructure.
That sounds amazing. But my cynicism hits and remembers what the public works department has done with AT money in the past.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 9:25 PM
surely you agree with me

Salter would be a great bike lane....maybe one of those ones like on maryland....connects directly to downtown and U of W.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Salter would be a great bike lane....maybe one of those ones like on maryland....connects directly to downtown and U of W.
Considering that the width of the road is inadequate for the current 4 lanes of traffic that would be a great idea.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
On another note, if anyone else in the North End (or really anywhere in the city) has suggestions for streets that would be good to have a bike lane, hit me up.
SB Pembina from Carter to the RT bikeway, please.

If this gap could be filled in, it would create a bike path/lane that would basically take you from Confusion Corner all the way to U of M.

(Yes, you're also in traffic for a block between the RT line and the golf course, but it's quiet side street traffic)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Considering that the width of the road is inadequate for the current 4 lanes of traffic that would be a great idea.
Salter is tight. McGregor is also tight. It's technically a 2 lane for it's most Northern portion. Could easily fit a bike lane in there.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 9:15 PM
surely you agree with me

I'm sure these have been shown before but I came across these images of the U of M Southwood master plan....who is going to tell them that the buildings are nost likely going to be 6 storey wood frame....looks like downtown Boston....wasnt the winning proposal a bunch of towers in a big field?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 9:17 PM

^ Haha they must have been giving away free cocaine at that rendering session

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 9:18 PM

No way man. I live across the river and I am looking forward to seeing the central business district of a mid-sized Japanese city rise over the skyline. It is the least they can do after my local Western Hockey League team was unjustly taken away.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 10:45 PM

Huh so the U of M basically wants the campus too look like Griffintown. Well it is one of my fav neighborhoods in Montreal, so if they can pull it off I bet a lot more young people and new grads would be willing to stay in Winnipeg

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 11:11 PM

^ We've given up on our old downtown so we're starting a new one! /s

Old Posted Jun 22, 2023, 1:54 AM
surely you agree with me

U of M moved out of downtown in the 1960’s, now they’re trying to take downtown with them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan