HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 4:55 PM

Kind of disappointed that will be a CVS. There's already one at Carrollton/Palmetto. Would have liked to see a niche retailer, even if just a clothing store or the like.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 6:55 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Kind of disappointed that will be a CVS. There's already one at Carrollton/Palmetto. Would have liked to see a niche retailer, even if just a clothing store or the like.
Well its only part of the development ... I don't know what most of the rest is going to be. But those damn pharmacies pay such high rents its hard for anyone to compete!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 12:35 AM

UNO is Leasing to Whitney Bank

Anybody know what was here before or how long it's been vacant?

Quote:
The University of New Orleans Research and Technology Foundation is leasing a 104,000 square foot building in their Research and Technology Park to Whitney Bank. Whitney will set up shop on all five stories and stay their at least a decade. Hundreds of support workers will call the Information Technology Center #4 their office by April. This isn't Whitney's only collaboration with UNO, however. The bank is working to establish a Whitney Bank Endowed Chair in Banking at the university in addition to putting jobs and opportunities right in front of students and faculty. Information Technology Center #4 was completed in the early 2000s as the last of four identical buildings on the Lakefront.
http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2015...itney-bank.php

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 2:23 AM
-

1500 Canal St·Board of Building Standards and Appeals · Project #BBSA No. 15-08 ·Ref Code: CYY1TW
Download (1) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Board of Building Standards and Appeals
Applicant:
The Jung, LLC
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
2/2/2015 12:00:00 AM
Closed:
No
Description
The proposed work is to renovate this historic structure into a hotel facility with other ancillary uses such as retail, assembly, and a parkiing garage. A portion of the building will be demolished and a 7-story parking garage will be constructed. The project is considered a single high rise structure of Type 1A construction.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 5:31 AM

317 Baronne Street

This CB article is very exciting news. This building is on the border between the active part of the CBD and the big dead chunk of parking lots across Loyola Avenue from City Hall. Once this building is renovated (and probably turned into apartments), those parking lots will have a much better chance of getting developed. I could also see in the distant future Union Street becoming a mini-Freret Street. It is narrow (but not a canyon), walkable, and has beautiful architecture on the ground level. I just needs some people and business.

Quote:
NOPSI Building sells to Connecticut firm
By: Robin Shannon, Reporter February 9, 2015

An eight-story Baronne Street building that once housed operations for the city’s utility company has sold to a Connecticut real estate firm.

The 200,000-square-foot New Orleans Public Service Building changed hands late last month for $11.6 million, according to Orleans Parish records. The deal includes the eight-story structure at 317 Baronne St., a neighboring two-story brick building on the corner of Union Street and O’Keefe Avenue, a small glass-enclosed structure at 311 Baronne St., and a small parking lot.

The buyer is an institutional private developer, Building and Land Technology of Stamford, Connecticut. The company has commercial and residential holdings in New Jersey and throughout coastal Connecticut, including Harbor Point, a sprawling mixed-use urban redevelopment.

The NOPSI Building is the company’s first acquisition in the New Orleans area.

The seller is listed as KMGR LLC, whose principals are Gowri and Chandra Kailas. The Kailas family had owned the building since 1994 and had planned multi-million dollar redevelopment of property into apartments, but their project never materialized.

It’s not known what Building and Land Technology plans to do with the building. Representatives with the company did not return calls seeking comment.

The building is in the heart of the Central Business District and in close proximity to numerous hotels and residential developments.

The NOPSI Building was erected in 1927 with a design from Favrot and Livaudais. The architectural firm was responsible for numerous historic projects in Louisiana, including the Hibernia Bank Building.

The NOPSI building was declared a historic landmark in 2011.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 2:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
This CB article is very exciting news. This building is on the border between the active part of the CBD and the big dead chunk of parking lots across Loyola Avenue from City Hall. Once this building is renovated (and probably turned into apartments), those parking lots will have a much better chance of getting developed. I could also see in the distant future Union Street becoming a mini-Freret Street. It is narrow (but not a canyon), walkable, and has beautiful architecture on the ground level. I just needs some people and business.
Now that the Kailas family doesn't own it, it will probably move forward quickly. I think the legal troubles have caused delays for them. This will probably help them focus on getting 1031 out of the ground too.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 5:56 PM
TL;DR

Yeah. I really hope they expand into that little parking lot, it kills the streetscape there. Even a little park would be better than the asphalt.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 10:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah. I really hope they expand into that little parking lot, it kills the streetscape there. Even a little park would be better than the asphalt.
If I owned the project that would actually be my focal point... being that its rumored to become a hotel I wouldn't be surprised to see something very modern added on that corner to pop off the building. Also Ive always had an affinity for this part of the project. Could make a for a neat lounge club... its very mad men era! Also its close to Club Jasmine so Im sure it will be a swinging hotel in more ways than one.

Som new information on a couple other buildings downtown:

---The Jung Hotel is going to be reopened as a condo and hotel project . Parts of building will be torn down and rebuilt to include a 7 story parking structure. Lots of groud floor retail included. Trahan architects is designing.

---The Rault Center will be condos and apartments with groubd floor commericial. Campo architects is designing.

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 11, 2015 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:00 PM

Wow. With all that news. What large buildings are even left empty downtown? Plaza Tower...and?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 4:48 PM

The Rault project is way overdue, probably the worst eyesore in the CBD IMHO. The Jung should really help out that stretch of Canal and hopefully encourage some new construction in that area.

Really the only big buildings left are the Plaza, WTC and Charity/VA hospitals. I expect we'll hear something about the Plaza Tower soon enough as the owners were apparently waiting for some sort of historic designation. Now the city/state need to act. I'm surprised Jindal hasn't sold the hospital yet as he has sold just about everything else...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:50 PM
life is good

If they are going to rebuild a part of Jung into 7 stories why wouldn't it be, say, half housing? Why all parking? I'm legitimately curious. Rents seem far more profitable than the low parking amounts I see posted

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 6:11 PM
life is good

Grilled cheese restaurant with bar to open in mid city
http://midcitymessenger.com/2015/02/...-banks-street/

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 7:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
If they are going to rebuild a part of Jung into 7 stories why wouldn't it be, say, half housing? Why all parking? I'm legitimately curious. Rents seem far more profitable than the low parking amounts I see posted
You know I don't know the answer to that. im trying to get the plans but I suspect the parking garage will be more than just parking ... ground floor retail and then probably rooftop pool and athletic center. Im excited about this project because Im building my house across the street from it so I have more than just a passing interest in what happens there. Also there are stille a few empty buildings but not many:

1. CharityHospital and its wings

2. WTC(we can all be pretty sure that hotel apartments is where that's headed)

3. Plaza Tower (Parking, office, retail, apartment and maybe hotel)

4. Warwick Hotel (nothing heard about it other than code violations)

5. UNO Tech Building (cleaned out and for resale)

6. Old Days Inn on corner of Claiborne and Canal (tax lien issues but there is supposed to be buyer ready to go once that is cleared up) Apartments of course

7. 222 Loyola Avenue (haven't ehard anything )

8. 305 Baronne isn't huge but its definitely underutilized as it currently stands.

9. Im not sure what is going on with Stephens Garage project .. its been coming for awhile and you don't hear a thing about it anymore.

10. 827 Carondelet haven't heard a thing

So for the most part empty buildings are disappearing which is great because that will really put the pressure on for new construction (which we are already seeing but will snowball once all available units are gone)

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 9:53 PM

Royal Cosmopolitan Resurrected!!!

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._hotel_pl.html

I'm ok with the height. No one can see it from the street. Plus I think having more density here will IMPROVE traffic, since everything around there is walkable.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
You know I don't know the answer to that. im trying to get the plans but I suspect the parking garage will be more than just parking ... ground floor retail and then probably rooftop pool and athletic center. Im excited about this project because Im building my house across the street from it so I have more than just a passing interest in what happens there. Also there are stille a few empty buildings but not many:

1. CharityHospital and its wings

2. WTC(we can all be pretty sure that hotel apartments is where that's headed)

3. Plaza Tower (Parking, office, retail, apartment and maybe hotel)

4. Warwick Hotel (nothing heard about it other than code violations)

5. UNO Tech Building (cleaned out and for resale)

6. Old Days Inn on corner of Claiborne and Canal (tax lien issues but there is supposed to be buyer ready to go once that is cleared up) Apartments of course

7. 222 Loyola Avenue (haven't ehard anything )

8. 305 Baronne isn't huge but its definitely underutilized as it currently stands.

9. Im not sure what is going on with Stephens Garage project .. its been coming for awhile and you don't hear a thing about it anymore.

10. 827 Carondelet haven't heard a thing

So for the most part empty buildings are disappearing which is great because that will really put the pressure on for new construction (which we are already seeing but will snowball once all available units are gone)

7. 222 Loyola Avenue (haven't ehard anything ) - Is this the garage for the Saratoga building?

8. 305 Baronne isn't huge but its definitely underutilized as it currently stands. - I thought HRI was going to redevelop this as part of the 225 Baronne project?

9. Im not sure what is going on with Stephens Garage project .. its been coming for awhile and you don't hear a thing about it anymore. - Last i heard from an inside source the project was dead. The deal fell apart due to some impending legal issues regarding federal historic tax credits. Although i am not sure why this deal died because of federal historic tax credits when so many other projects around the city have been successfully utilizing them.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
The 7 story garage would be on the back side of the property facing Cleveland and have 401 parking spaces. The project is slated to have 16 studio units, 196 1-Bedroom Units, 116 2-Bedroom Units, along with 124 extended stay hotel rooms and 54k of retail space on the ground.

THAT is why you need the parking.

And maybe I'm smoking rocks here... but I vaguely remember HRI wanting to redevelop the surrounding area with more retail and housing to compliment the Iberville redevelopment.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._hotel_pl.html

I'm ok with the height. No one can see it from the street. Plus I think having more density here will IMPROVE traffic, since everything around there is walkable.

Although I am not currently a resident, as a former resident, the Quarter has always been a sacred space. I understand the demands of development, but is this really necessary for improving this block? Technically this isn't considered "the Quarter" but historically. Anyone aware of the impact this will have on the surrounding historic "built environment?"

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 5:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA7 View Post
Although I am not currently a resident, as a former resident, the Quarter has always been a sacred space. I understand the demands of development, but is this really necessary for improving this block? Technically this isn't considered "the Quarter" but historically. Anyone aware of the impact this will have on the surrounding historic "built environment?"
Im always pro development too but I agree this building is inappropriate right there.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 5:36 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
The 7 story garage would be on the back side of the property facing Cleveland and have 401 parking spaces. The project is slated to have 16 studio units, 196 1-Bedroom Units, 116 2-Bedroom Units, along with 124 extended stay hotel rooms and 54k of retail space on the ground.

THAT is why you need the parking.

And maybe I'm smoking rocks here... but I vaguely remember HRI wanting to redevelop the surrounding area with more retail and housing to compliment the Iberville redevelopment.
Do you know if they have leased any of the retail space yet? I saw grocer on the renderings so was curious

The Jung Garage Plans:

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 12, 2015 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Do you know if they have leased any of the retail space yet? I saw grocer on the renderings so was curious

Not to my knowledge, but a grocery store would be a good fit with the future residential around there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations