HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
The article interestingly doesn't mention Austin at all. I have a hunch we're gonna be the winners.
Huh? How is that a positive?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Huh? How is that a positive?
The similar yet somewhat different articles have muddied the waters. I wouldn't read too much into it with respect to Austin. If they are supposedly talking to multiple cities, there's a pretty good chance that Austin is among them. The Austin folks may just be better at keeping secrets and not taking the chance of violating their NDA.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:26 PM

Someone made a good point earlier in this thread about the RE market knowing or showing signs of a decision long before Amazon does. (apparently a firm in Crystal City has taken a few properties "off the market"). It will be increasingly difficult to keep the RE market from talking (certainly the principals won't talk, but the lower level staff and companies they work with may leak) If a leak happens, it may force Amazon to announce earlier than they want, to stay in front of the story.

Has Endeavor ever mentioned plans for Statesman site? I did not see it on their website, and you would imagine that they would at least list it there as a "coming soon".

Brandywine has 8 of their "to be built" Broadmoor properties listed, conversely.

Come on Bezos, out with it already! Oraclelp....looking for you, do you still stand by your statement?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Someone made a good point earlier in this thread about the RE market knowing or showing signs of a decision long before Amazon does. (apparently a firm in Crystal City has taken a few properties "off the market"). It will be increasingly difficult to keep the RE market from talking (certainly the principals won't talk, but the lower level staff and companies they work with may leak) If a leak happens, it may force Amazon to announce earlier than they want, to stay in front of the story.

Has Endeavor ever mentioned plans for Statesman site? I did not see it on their website, and you would imagine that they would at least list it there as a "coming soon".

Brandywine has 8 of their "to be built" Broadmoor properties listed, conversely.

Come on Bezos, out with it already! Oraclelp....looking for you, do you still stand by your statement?
I bet they have made their decision but they are waiting till after the midterms to announce, so it can be a bigger news story to dominate the headlines for a few days. Maybe in time for cyber monday at the end of this month

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Though I admittedly don't have an awful lot of connections, all the people I do know at Endeavor as well as other major development firms have been bearish in their predictions that Amazon will select Austin. It seems that the firms I've talked to have not had any major talks with Amazon to build on their land or to come to them for development, though it could be due to locked lips from the executives, though I'd doubt it.

I have heard multiple people mention Amazon expanding to Austin and developing some downtown presence similar to Google, but it may come in the form of pre-leasing an already forthcoming development rather than having their hand in the entire process. Take it as you will, no one really seems to know one way or the other.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:52 PM

I just looked up Crystal City....it really is perfect. It looks like it ticks all the boxes, and only a few miles to Bezos' new home.

Amazon would be remiss not to chose CC.

Still rooting for Austin, but damn, that spot looks amazing for what they said they want.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 4:27 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
I just looked up Crystal City....it really is perfect. It looks like it ticks all the boxes, and only a few miles to Bezos' new home.

Amazon would be remiss not to chose CC.

Still rooting for Austin, but damn, that spot looks amazing for what they said they want.
CCs biggest issue is there is a single major real estate player in the market, and the properties are ancient. My guess is it would be temporary and lots of development would happen.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 4:34 PM

CC has vacant office space and would satisfy the requirement of 500K sq ft of immediately available space. But the WSJ article said CC was one of two sites in NoVa. The other site is nearby also in Arlington County - Potomac Yard I believe. That site may be where the bulk of the campus is ultimately located.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
CC has vacant office space and would satisfy the requirement of 500K sq ft of immediately available space. But the WSJ article said CC was one of two sites in NoVa. The other site is nearby also in Arlington County - Potomac Yard I believe. That site may be where the bulk of the campus is ultimately located.
wonder how much space Austin has immediately?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
Though I admittedly don't have an awful lot of connections, all the people I do know at Endeavor as well as other major development firms have been bearish in their predictions that Amazon will select Austin. It seems that the firms I've talked to have not had any major talks with Amazon to build on their land or to come to them for development, though it could be due to locked lips from the executives, though I'd doubt it.

I have heard multiple people mention Amazon expanding to Austin and developing some downtown presence similar to Google, but it may come in the form of pre-leasing an already forthcoming development rather than having their hand in the entire process. Take it as you will, no one really seems to know one way or the other.
I think Amazon will continue to expand their technical presence in Austin regardless of the HQ2 decision. To me adding a location downtown is a no brainier if they want to do that. I know I personally would consider working at Amazon if they were located downtown, but am I going to leave my job downtown that I ride my bike to and start commuting to the Domain? Ug, no thanks.

I think Indeed's strategy of a "split HQ" is very smart considering Austin's transportation situation.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:45 PM

CNBC says Amazon is splitting HQ2 in half with 25K people in two cities. Announcement this week.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 7:48 PM
Everywhere all at once

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-...ies-1541446552

I'm gonna make a prediction... Austin and Northern Virginia. I think it's not too much of a stretch anymore.

EDIT: ATX you scooped me by seconds!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post

I'm gonna make a prediction... Austin and Northern Virginia. I think it's not too much of a stretch anymore.

If so, airlines need to get a shit ton more beyond-perimeter slot exemptions for DCA-AUS flights.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:23 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:

Or it could be DFW and NYC

Or ATX and NYC

or DFW and D.C. Area

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:24 PM
Closed account

Congrats to Austin!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Congrats to Austin!
Not yet.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:35 PM

Quote:

That's only because I didn't take the time to add the link like you did.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:40 PM

Let's hope this tweet from the W/E holds true. It's looking good now, but Dallas has an excellent shot at it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:42 PM

Interesting. I definitely see more sources saying Dallas over Austin at this point if a Texas city is chosen.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:43 PM

The significant office development plans downtown and at the airport are starting to make sense... those big initiatives and the integrated transit plan started to really take shape in the last 3-4 months.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin